Southern California Area Southern California Members.

Anybody go to "Route 66 Rendevous"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 05:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody go to "Route 66 Rendevous"?

A friend of mine is a student at Orange Coast College. He is over here from Uganda. He is a car nut, but since Uganda has no roads outside of the big cities, the most practical vehicle there is a 4 wheel drive suv. Needless to say suv drivers over there aren't "posers" who never take their vehicles off road! Anyway, he wanted me to take him to a car show where he could see some neat cars of the type that he has seen in magazines and books, but has never seen in person. I took a vacation day and we went to San Bernardino yesterday. He didn't know there were that many hotrods in the world! He liked the "T" buckets, but I don't think he understood when I tried to explain that model T's didn't originally come with V8 engines. When I talked about modifications, I think he thought I meant that the owners added blowers to stock T's. Anyway, we walked around the corner and saw about 6 restored model T's in a row. I met one of the owners, and he was kind enough to show us his car and explain its various idiosyncrosis (spelling?). I knew it was a big cruise, but the number of cars was overwhelming. I saw one street rod with a Minnesota license plate. When I got home, my wife mentioned that one of the monitor techs from the hospital just got back from vacation. She told him where I was, and he mentioned seeing a billboard in St Louis, Missouri advertising the Route 66 Rendevous in San Bernardino.
Old 09-22-2002, 11:20 PM
Banned

We were up there in our '68 vette and uncorked the headers, Got a standing ovation. Don't have a recent picture on hand but here's what it look like, you may have seen it.
Attached Thumbnails Anybody go to "Route 66 Rendevous"?-vette2.jpg  

Last edited by AFrikanGoodTime; 09-22-2002 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-23-2002, 12:35 PM
Supreme Member

I probably did, but there were so many Vettes, that I don't remember individual cars. I remember one street that was nothing but Vettes parked for the entire block. I remember one Sting Ray coupe with a big block I think. It had the "flip up" headlights permanently flipped with clear headlight covers. There was also one '57 Vette that I remember because it was the only '56-57 style Vette that I saw, and that was my favorite model of the old solid rear axle Vettes.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:25 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Russ-So Cal
I probably did, but there were so many Vettes, that I don't remember individual cars. I remember one street that was nothing but Vettes parked for the entire block. I remember one Sting Ray coupe with a big block I think. It had the "flip up" headlights permanently flipped with clear headlight covers. There was also one '57 Vette that I remember because it was the only '56-57 style Vette that I saw, and that was my favorite model of the old solid rear axle Vettes.
That was us with the LaMans headlight covers. Everyone mistakes it for a bigblock. Its a smallblock 327ci 540hp that tachs 8500 rpms with a 40 lb flywheel. Dump the clutch and hang on, It will stay at the rpm you dump it at with all that inertia.

Any of you guys into drag racing may want to come up to Covina on Oct. 12 (saturday) for Thunderfest Car Show. Every year we get about 50+ cars competing in the AAA shootout at Pomona, as well as 150 other hotrod entries that are judged for the show(I'm one of the Judges) We also have Playboy playmates there to sign autograghs. Its on Citrus Ave. between Badillo & San Bernadino Rd. Admittence is free for the show and Bluezapalooza. 1pm-8pm.

The guys have been know to fire up the alcohol cars once in a while for the crowd.

Last edited by AFrikanGoodTime; 09-23-2002 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-24-2002, 12:25 AM
Supreme Member

I would have known looking at it that it wasn't a big block, but I saw so many cars and so many engines that it all runs together.
If I remember correctly, when I was taking pictures of your car, you asked if I wanted you to close the hood. I hadn't met you previously, so I didn't know you posted to this board. The fact that of all the Vettes that were there, I remembered your car says something about it. Nice car man!