South West Region South West regional discussion board.

quick question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009 | 09:31 PM

quick question...

ok, i'm in the midst of getting my first T/A

since i'm 18, my current car is registered with my mom.

she, however, will not register the T/A under her name unless i get rid of my current car.

I dont know when i'll sell my car, aaand that T/A wont last long. i have the money for the car and i might try to get it tomorrow.

my question is: how do i unregister my current car before i register the T/A so that my mom would only have 1 car (hers) under her name?
Old 05-08-2009 | 10:03 PM

Car: 87 Firebird, 90 bird coming soon
Engine: 355 Chevy Vortec Heads TPI, LT1 inj
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi 9-bolt
Re: quick question...

Welcome to the boards. First off, why can't you register the car in your name? You are 18. What year are you looking at and where is it at? Make sure you look the car over and check to make sure everything is what you expect it to be. If it has some troubled areas, we might be able to help you out. Also, where are you located?
Old 05-09-2009 | 03:30 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 IROC-Z, '71 RS
Engine: 305 TPI/ 350
Transmission: 700R4/TH350

Personally, i would keep your current car and buy the T/A in your name. It never hurts to have two cars while you find out if it's dependable.
Old 05-09-2009 | 06:06 PM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 SD TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi

i think ive got the most experience on this one lol

i bought mine when i was 17 and i was driving a del sol in my dads name, i sold the del sol, put in a sold notice, and as soon as it posted i went off to buy my camaro.

In your situation i would buy the T/A, register it in your name and just go down to the mvd for a new registration on the old car and only put your moms name down, you could do them both at once and it wont be too bad as far as selling your car thats a toss up, its nice to have a reliable way around for the first month or so just in case, i blew out a tire, had a map sensor go nuts on me, my tranny would just start grinding out of nowhere etc, HOWEVER, it is possible to use these as a daily driver, i do it, the only difference is when something breaks it gets fixed within the hour, theres kind of a high level of dedication for my car, ive lost girlfriends over it lol

birdtojag is right, high hopes kinda get shattered when dealing with a car made before you were even born. If it looks sound and its not destroyed its probably gonna be the best decision youll ever make, i cant imagine what id be in if i hadnt bought my camaro and i love it, but ive also put in alot of time on it and learned alot in the process.

Where are you at in az? if your in the east valley youve got me, soocrispy, birdtojag, and another thirdgen owner over here to help and if not im sure one of us can make a drive to help you out. We can find a way to make your T/A last a long time.

Just to be sure, do you know exactly what your looking at when your buying a car? Buying a nice thirdgen is like that but stricter, there are problematic errors in every car and most of us on here know where said areas are lol

Last edited by BluFBdy; 05-09-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-09-2009 | 07:54 PM

thanks for your help guys
i'm not sure if i can even get this one though
i mean, the big problem why my dad is against it is because one of his friends brought a scanner tool and nothing showed up on it but i asked my auto teachers at my school and they said it's probably because the car is too old to be read with it.
someone on another thread i posted said that since it runs and passed emissions, the ECM must be fine so yeaa..

i live in tucson btw lol

my dad told me that he and his friend will start looking at trans ams and camaros for me so i can get one that they approve of lol
Old 05-09-2009 | 09:25 PM
TPI
Supreme Member

Car: '89 Trans AM/'88 GTA
Engine: (2) Tuned Port L98's

Welcome to the boards, get that Trans AM!
Old 05-10-2009 | 07:15 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah, get the T/A. They are a lot harder to come by than the camaro. Most of the time if the "service engine soon" light is not on, then everything is ok.
Old 05-11-2009 | 12:10 AM

Car: 87 Firebird, 90 bird coming soon
Engine: 355 Chevy Vortec Heads TPI, LT1 inj
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi 9-bolt

Having a scanner hooked up won't do much for you in terms of searching for the right car. For codes, most of us use a paper clip and are able to figure things out from there. Most programs for scanners these days will not cover OBDI which all of these cars are. I had a scanner that was supposed to read codes and live data from my firebird. The scanner did not do anything. The "service engine soon" light was on and the scanner said there were no codes and would not let me do anything else from there. Needless to say, I got rid of the scanner and use notes that I have from UTI. Just be sure the body is in good shape (under the car too) and the interior in decent (something you could live with). Also, people like to think their cars are worth more than they are. Do your homework on the values before you throw down a lot of money for a piece of junk. Also, ask a lot of questions. Find out what is already done with the car in terms of what is new on the engine or drivetrain. Take it for a drive and see how it handles. Make sure there are no leaks (or have the current owner get those leaks fixed) before you get the car in your hands. One last thing, if the fuel pump has been replaced (yes people, this is where cutting the body can screw a new owner!), make sure it was done correctly with removing the tank and not cutting a hole in the body to "make things easier". If you are looking for a solid car, make sure it is what you want and not a piece of junk someone is unloading on you.
Old 05-11-2009 | 01:05 AM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 SD TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi

Originally Posted by birdtojag
Having a scanner hooked up won't do much for you in terms of searching for the right car. For codes, most of us use a paper clip and are able to figure things out from there. Most programs for scanners these days will not cover OBDI which all of these cars are. I had a scanner that was supposed to read codes and live data from my firebird. The scanner did not do anything. The "service engine soon" light was on and the scanner said there were no codes and would not let me do anything else from there. Needless to say, I got rid of the scanner and use notes that I have from UTI. Just be sure the body is in good shape (under the car too) and the interior in decent (something you could live with). Also, people like to think their cars are worth more than they are. Do your homework on the values before you throw down a lot of money for a piece of junk. Also, ask a lot of questions. Find out what is already done with the car in terms of what is new on the engine or drivetrain. Take it for a drive and see how it handles. Make sure there are no leaks (or have the current owner get those leaks fixed) before you get the car in your hands. One last thing, if the fuel pump has been replaced (yes people, this is where cutting the body can screw a new owner!), make sure it was done correctly with removing the tank and not cutting a hole in the body to "make things easier". If you are looking for a solid car, make sure it is what you want and not a piece of junk someone is unloading on you.

completely true, the issues with these cars is more likely in the cosmetic or in the worst case in the motor. The likelyhood of the car being bad because a scanner couldnt read it? It happens, the only scan tool ive ever gotten to hook into my ECM was a brand new genesis tool, I however use a paper clip to flash the codes, if you get the code "12" after you hook it up then the car has no ECM communication issues, the other codes would follow and if you have any doubts, check the codes before a test drive, then when you get back, that would show any codes they may have tried to hide then make them fix it before you get the car. If youre wondering about the fuel pump comment check out the other thread here;https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/sout...ml#post4147849

Its a heated debate if you cant tell lol like birdtojag said just make sure its something youre gonna be happy with as far as comfort goes. I have an alright interior its nothing special but its not ripped up and i also have no A/C. For me i can live with that ive never had a car with A/C, if you think you want it then dont lower your standards just to get the car because "putting it in later" never works out its taken me 2 years to "just put it in" lol if you like the car without a doubt then its probably gonna be a sound car

Last edited by BluFBdy; 05-11-2009 at 01:34 AM.
Old 05-11-2009 | 02:09 AM
Supreme Member

A/C is one of the first things I fix. My cars usually dont have it when I get it, but if you know what you are doing, then it dosent have to cost a fortune.