South West Region South West regional discussion board.

Tucson Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008 | 11:27 PM

Car: 90 RS/90 Z-71/73 Vega
Engine: 3.1/5.7 TBI/5.7
Transmission: 700R4/700R4/350turbo
Axle/Gears: 3.23/3.42/3.42
Tucson Emissions

I wanted to post this for people who want some info regarding some of the emissions regs. here in Tucson.I was getting my exhaust done at a shop right across the exit of the East side Emissions facility.So I decided to walk over and ask someone a few questions regarding fuel injection cars.For example.I was looking into a 91 z28 camaro that I wanted to install a 454 with a carb and make it street legal.So I asked this guy at the front counter could this be something that would be done and pass emissions.If the car originally came with fuel injection they dont care what kind of induction system you have on it.All they care about is if the car came with an air pump or a Cat then it must stay on the car.If you want to run a tunnel ram with dual carbs then go for it.However heres the kicker..the year of the car is where it gets tricky.In 91 your only allowed 1.20% on CO and 220 on HC so that tunnel rammed big block must past with those readings?.Okay so would this engine even with dual cats on it.. would it be able to get the readings down that far?.Dont know that answer cause I never done it.But if you own a early 70's ride say with TPI you wont have any issues with passing cause the 70's car has higher standard readings for CO and HC.So most tend to go with early 70 cars ..so it doesnt matter if its carbed or injection or blown its the standard readings for that year of car.So I hope that helps with some maybe wondering about putting a carb on it or larger engine etc..
Old 09-24-2008 | 12:56 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73
Re: Tucson Emissions

In AZ you can get an emissions exemption. Just get the collector car insurance and you are done. No more worries about air pumps and cat's. I have it on my 88 IROC. It's also insured for stated value so you will not lose money on that big expensive engine you put in it if something happens to the car.

I recommend this because I am guessing a 454 carb'd car would not be your daily driver. Unless you are a very wealthy.

Also on a second thought when I lived in IL I had an 85 Camaro that I put on Edelbrook intake and carb to the original injected 305 and I was able to get the car to pass by leaving the cat on the car. However, I did have to lean the carb way out and it barely passed but it did pass. It is hard to get a carb to met injected standards but you can do it if you leave the cat on the car. And getting it to pass with a carb and such a big motor will be tuff even with the air pump and cat. But still may be possible with the right tuning.

Last edited by burnout88; 09-24-2008 at 01:11 AM.
Old 09-24-2008 | 06:15 PM

I just learned about that insurance deal from a co-worker on his 78 trans am but didnt know the limits on what years are considered for the exemption.He told me that his insurance wanted to give him a 10k policy but wanted pictures of the car and it was no where near looking like a 10K car so he basically rushed it through a paint job and it looks nice but under the hood its old and nasty.But I also understand your limited on mileage on that sort of policy?.I havent looked into it yet but plan too when my vega gets close cause it wont be a daily driver.I dont know if the 10k policy was standard or something he/insurance company could only go up too?.Plus how do they regulate the mileage what do they have mileage officers and come to your house and check?.even then you can just disconnect the speedo and off you go?..So I dont know the full details on how it works..its nice to know its there for people who want to build a nice car though.
Old 09-24-2008 | 11:14 PM
Supreme Member

I have a policy with Grundy worldwide collector car ins. My car is insured for 7,000 and I have no mileage limit and there is no model year limit. However, I do have a limit in the policy that states the car can only be driven for pleasure and not for work. They also will want to make sure you have another car as a daily driver. If you don't you will not get a policy. They will ask for photos of the car, they are not going to insure some beater as a collector.

Now heres how the usage thing works. They are not going to come to your house. However let's say you get in an accident pulling out of your work parking lot with your collector car on a Monday at 4:30 in the afternoon. You better have a damn good reason to be driving that car at that time of day near your work. If not they will not pay your claim and cancel your policy. When they say you can't drive it to work or for general commuting they mean it!!

I did a complete restore on my car so I have no issues with that and only drive my car maybe on a good year 500 miles and I would not even consider driving that car to work and parking it in downtown Phoenix all day unattended. You are on the honor system with the usage but like I said if you get an accident driving it to work or it's gets stolen out of your work parking lot or even the grocery store parking lot you will have NO COVERAGE!! and find yourself in a heap of trouble.

Last edited by burnout88; 09-24-2008 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2008 | 02:56 AM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: L03 305 TBI, nearly stock
Transmission: 700R4, stock
Axle/Gears: 3.23 out of a V6/5 speed car.

This does work, so please don't beat me up......

If you have a friend or relative that lives somewhere besides Pima or Maricopa county, register your car at that address. You won't even be asked to smog your vehicle!
Old 10-07-2008 | 06:17 PM

yes that would work..however where I work ..we have regular vehicle tag inspections from a state inspector since we do emissions testing and if you are working within city limits they say that you are required to have your vehicle emissioned.if you get pulled over and give him an address in Vail or Corona De Tucson I am sure the officer would want to know where your going..if this was your primary residence etc.It would just raise suspicions.So that might work for some,but not for all.
Old 10-08-2008 | 05:07 PM

Car: 1989 IROC
Engine: 305TPI
Axle/Gears: 2:73 posi

Originally Posted by jstrdn90rs
I just learned about that insurance deal from a co-worker on his 78 trans am but didnt know the limits on what years are considered for the exemption.He told me that his insurance wanted to give him a 10k policy but wanted pictures of the car and it was no where near looking like a 10K car so he basically rushed it through a paint job and it looks nice but under the hood its old and nasty.But I also understand your limited on mileage on that sort of policy?.I havent looked into it yet but plan too when my vega gets close cause it wont be a daily driver.I dont know if the 10k policy was standard or something he/insurance company could only go up too?.Plus how do they regulate the mileage what do they have mileage officers and come to your house and check?.even then you can just disconnect the speedo and off you go?..So I dont know the full details on how it works..its nice to know its there for people who want to build a nice car though.
I have my Barracuda through Hagerty so I don't have to do the emissions but it's a hassle for registration down at the DMV. I always seem to get the nave behind the counter who has never heard of the Collector car insurance law. Then he has to ask his super and she's not sure.....I'm not sure what the year cut off is for that though. 1989 seems to be a little late model though. Plus I've been driving the wheels off my IROC lately so I probably don't qualify on that car
Attached Thumbnails Tucson Emissions-ha-ha-not-my  

Last edited by Arizona IROC; 10-08-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-09-2008 | 03:36 AM
Supreme Member

Your Barracuda would fit in perfectly in one of those old Mad Maxx movies.

http://www.autocult.com.au/img/gallery/RNEM734J.jpg

http://www.roadwarusa.com/cars/skullcar.jpg

http://images.askmen.com/toys/top_10...op_10_list.jpg

Last edited by burnout88; 10-09-2008 at 03:40 AM.
Old 10-09-2008 | 11:07 AM

Car: 1989 IROC
Engine: 305TPI
Axle/Gears: 2:73 posi

That car does look like something from Mad Max. (Not my car, I was just
kidding about that) I have talked to the owner a couple of times and he got that Superbird wing from a car in a wrecking yard years ago. I can't imagine seeing a wing car in a yard now a days.

Anyway, here is a pic of me and my Barracuda at a show a while back. Hagerty wanted to insure it to at least $15000
Attached Thumbnails Tucson Emissions-whtcuda.jpg  

Last edited by Arizona IROC; 10-09-2008 at 12:12 PM.