South West Region South West regional discussion board.

Anyone here own a 88-98 C/k Silverado?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 02:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1994 Trans Am
Engine: LT1
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Anyone here own a 88-98 C/k Silverado?

I'm looking to get one and I'm curious about those black guards that go around the whole truck. I know the body guards can be removed w/o exposing holes because it's glued on. But what about the bumpers? Are they glued on them as well? Anyone know?

If this has to be 3rd gen related, I'm buying it for a possible track car hauler.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just happened to browse here after a few months, and I know the answer to this! I have an 88 Silverado I'm building from the ground up. So of course you know the side mouldings are slapped on with double-sided tape. As far as the bumpers, they are clipped in through several slots cut into the bumper. So you cannot just take them off. The front bumper can be easy replaced with a reproduction from online, or ChassisTech in Mesa... they sell smooth front bumpers. As far as rear... no luck there. Most truck guys do rollpans, so they don't offer a custom rear bumper. The rear strip is also attached to the step pad though, so that's even more hassle. On my S10 blazer, I just welded the holes shut, and smoothed it, and painted it body color. As far as having it chrome, I don't know. I think some later Z71 Tahoes may have had smooth rear bumpers, but they may have only been painted.

That's what I can recall.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 11 F350 CC DRW Dsl
Yep, got a 97 K1500 with 258000km on it. I've had it since 2000km. As per normal the 4L60E ate itself at 113000km but the rebuild has been fine although the upshift under power doesn't alsways happen properly. The truck has some issues I've yet to address poor fuel economy in the last while, cab corner rust, runs rough when started in the damp. While it hasn't been a real bad truck I'm going back to a Ford with the next one. I've basically been holding this one together with minimal maintenance. Oh yeah, the brakes on mine have never been great.

Not exactly related to you question but then you already got the anser to that.

Steve
Old 09-16-2006, 12:46 AM
Supreme Member

Well, I got one. It's soooooo nice and in near mint condition. It's a 1997 Silverado with 61k miles. Yes I said 61k original miles. Bright red paint. Body painted front grill and bumper. And to answer my question, all the door gaurds have been removed except for the rear bumper which strangly is still chrome unlike the front bumper. Full dual exhaust with Cherry bombs. I plan on getting a flowmaster muffler and eliminating the cherry bombs. They give it a plastic bag blowing in the wind sound at WOT. Interior is mint. Limo tint, MP3 stereo upgraded speakers, 10-inch sub and amp. <---I don't know specifics as I am not a car audio guy in the least, but I do know there is no distortion listening to KORN pretty loud. AWESOME!!!! It's extended cab with 3rd door and short bed with an Inyati spray in bedliner. He also put in an air bag or shock, I still don't know how it works, but you let out the air and the ride height in the back settles 2" to match the front. Then with load, pump it up and it will sit normal and not sag. Totally cool.

350 Vortec engine with an optional towing transmission. The thing moves.

But here is the wierdest part, the wheels are stock "5-Lug". I thought that was bizzarre as I was checking out putting some newer 20" Silverado SS style wheels. But now I can't. However at Tire Rack, they listed a nice wheel the Crager SS. It got me thinking. The backspacing of those wheels is 4" <----don't know what that is compared to our Fbodies, but maybe I can slap on some Camaro SS wheels or maybe some Vette wheels. Do you think that is doable?
Old 09-19-2006, 11:24 AM
Supreme Member

Here's some pics for those that are interested. I've been driving it for the last 5 days and I miss driving the T/A.

Check it out, the red Silverado

http://www.azclubgp.com/album_cat.php?cat_id=1