South West Region South West regional discussion board.

Is it possible to pass emissions with a Mini Ram in NM?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 camaro z28
Engine: 6.3L, heads, headers, cam,.....
Transmission: 700-R4 w/shift kit and 3-4 WOT kit
Axle/Gears: 4.11
Is it possible to pass emissions with a Mini Ram in NM?

Hey you guys I have a quick question about the Mini Ram. Will I be able to pass emissions with a Mini Ram? I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I am wondering if any of you guys live in New Mexico and passed emissions with a Mini Ram or know anyone that has passed emissions wiht a mini ram. If I can’t pass, what should I do so that I can pass emissions? I just want to know if I have to put on the old TPI intake every time I need to pass emissions, this would really suck!!! But I guess worth the performance!! Well let me know if you guys have any knowledge of this.

Thanks
Old 11-05-2005, 03:59 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Engine: None
Transmission: None
I'm stationed at Holloman AFB in Alamogordo. In this county at least there are no emissions. So maybe its the same way for all of NM.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:52 PM

I know that some counties in New Mexico don’t have emissions. Rio Rancho doesn’t have emissions but Burnallio County does, and that is were my car is registered. That’s cool that you’re stationed at Holloman, what’s your AFSC. I’m in the New Mexico Air Guard in Albuquerque and go to school at NMSU in Las Cruces. Anyways I see that your deployed hopefully everything is going good for you over the pond. Thanks for the advice!! Give me a holler whenever you get back I got a couple third gen friends in Las Cruces.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:36 PM

Well I found out emissions laws here in Albquerque, New Mexico. I think I am screwed!! I think I am going to have to swap in the TPI intake for the test. This is what I found:

2. Pollution Control Equipment (tamper check) - The Air Care Inspector checks that the catalytic converter, air injection system and oxygen sensor are properly installed and are original or approved replacements. Tampering (removing or disconnecting equipment) was more prevalent in the introductory years of pollution control equipment than it is today.

5. OBDII Testing (vehicle computer) - The OBDII test monitors the vehicles on board computer for components that are not operating properly (the check engine light is part of this system) and determines the condition of the vehicles emissions equipment.

Well it looks like to me ill be getting a visual inspection and a computer check out!! If they do an in depth computer check there going to see that the set up is nothing close to stock. What should I do about this?!!
Old 11-05-2005, 04:25 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: NCC-1701-D (docked in AZ)
Engine: impulse drive
Transmission: fusion reactors
Axle/Gears: Rescued from the Borg by my crew
get some advice on one of the others boards here or do a search on emissions testing or mini ram etc
Old 11-05-2005, 05:48 PM

Car: 1984 Firebird V6
Just get yourself a friend in Santa Fe and register the car up there! Santa Fe doesn't have emissions. I live in Pecos. Just registered my Firebird in Santa Fe.

Are you part of the Car Club there in Alb?
Old 11-05-2005, 07:23 PM

No im not right now i would like to but i would like to get my car running first before joining any clubs!! Are you in any clubs and are the worth joining?
Old 11-05-2005, 11:57 PM

Car: 1984 Firebird V6
There's one I was told about in Alb called

Burnin it up.

www.Burninitup.com
Old 11-06-2005, 12:07 AM
Banned

Car: 82 White Stock Camaro
Engine: 2.5 151 TBI
Transmission: 4 Speed Manual
That's a Firebird and TA club though . No local clubs for Camaros that I know of.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:38 AM

I look into it to see if there are any in town. I will let you guys know what i come up with. Thanks!

Last edited by spedrace35; 11-07-2005 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:49 PM
jmd
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R
They will fail you on visual without EGR. However, if you can make it look like it has EGR somehow some way, I bet you can get by with it. Emissions inspectors are not bright people most of the time, so unless you get someone who is a SBC freak, they won't know.

When testing in Abq, I have had them depress the underside of the EGR valve to test for functionality, the usual under-car mirror check, a quick visual of the necessary underhood items, and I have failed for a gas cap even.

But yes, swapping intakes each time is an option.

Best of luck. I'm working on passing the AZ smog check. new MSD wires on the way from Summit
Old 11-07-2005, 11:45 AM

Hey thanks for your input!! Well I was thinking about making a fake egr, but I have now idea how I would be able to do that, do you/anyone know how this could be done? And another problem I just thaught of is the AIR hose. I have the slp headers with the AIR hookup. I got them so that I can pass the visual, and I can always take off the air hose and seal the tips but I dont know if this is possible. Now if I have to leave the AIR hose on what do I do with the ending of the hose if I have no EGR? So if you or anyone else have any good ideas please let me know; Im all ears!!
Old 11-08-2005, 10:42 PM
jmd
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R
You could go a lot of ways. Weld something onto the mini-ram, bolt something on that looks legit. :shrug: As long as they can't physically test it, it'll be okay. I think there are some EGR valves with a plastic cover over them.

AIR can be disconnected from the headers without setting a code. Thread a cap onto the end of the AIR fitting of the headers with anti-sieze for 2 years.

AIR is not connected to the EGR. Vaccuum lines are.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:22 PM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 350-5.7L
Transmission: 700R
hey did not know there were some thirdgens here in Las Cruces....well i live 15 min south of las cruces and i have never...and i mean never had to deal with emissions here in new mexico...at least in the Dona Ana county.....i only deal with texas and thats cuz fort bliss requires damn emissions sticker regardless of where your from....anyways....hope i can meet some of you guys here in las cruces and holloman...my car will be up and going soon here within the next two weeks...i have to fix my car a 89 IROC and my brothers which i guess i will keep since he is deployed and hasnt said anything about keeping it..a 91 RS with a 305.....well talk to you guys soon
Old 11-22-2005, 10:32 PM

That’s cool that your down at bliss I go down there every once in a wile to use their PX and commencer when I’m in El Paso. I’m having the same problem with my car as well, its not running yet but I sure hope that it will be running shortly. O yah about emissions, my car is registered in Bernalillo County and they have emissions there, damnit! Well we should try to get some third geners together from around the area sometime. Well I hope everything is going good for your brother and Ill talk to you guys later.

Last edited by spedrace35; 11-22-2005 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:51 PM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 350-5.7L
Transmission: 700R
I am all for a get together of thirdgens here in the south of NM..... i was thinking of going all the way to phoenix for one of their third gen get to but since my car failed me during the summer i had to cancell...but its all good...tomorrow i pick my IROC from the shop...install some gear that i bought for it and send my bros car to get some stuff fixed and hopefully it will be back by the end of next week...then during dec it is off to the body shop to fix the dents and stuff....i will keep it primed for a few weeks while i get enought money to get them painted......hopefully by the end of Jan they will be good to go and ready for some interior work....
Old 11-25-2005, 08:34 AM

Sound good!! Well I am guessing that we should try to have a gathering some time in jan or a little later. Or we could just wait till it warms up again. I was also thinking about going to pheonix my self but that was before I pulled my motor! I am thinking that it would be a kick a** time going out there when they do have a gathering! Maybe we can get a caravan goining over! Well keep me informed about your car. If you need any help with your car just let me know. Later
Old 12-01-2005, 09:43 AM

Car: '02 WS6 Conv M6, 92 WS6 Conv. M6
Originally posted by jmd
You could go a lot of ways. Weld something onto the mini-ram, bolt something on that looks legit. :shrug: As long as they can't physically test it, it'll be okay. I think there are some EGR valves with a plastic cover over them.

AIR can be disconnected from the headers without setting a code. Thread a cap onto the end of the AIR fitting of the headers with anti-sieze for 2 years.

AIR is not connected to the EGR. Vaccuum lines are.

I don't know if you've tested your emissions yet. They changed the emissions testing rules here in Bernalillo County.

It now requires that any vehicle 75 to 85 gets tested every year.

They also check the gas cap now (which many 3rd gens fail).

The good news is that they don't visually check any emissions except the cat. If you have a cat and you pass out the pipe, you're done. On one of my cars I have absolutely no emissions except the cat. Passed with flying colors.

For newer vechicles, all they do is hook up to the OBDII and test it (they don't even usually check the cat). GM didn't start putting the OBDII's in our cars until '96. Yours is the OBDI.

Hope this helps. As far as I know, there's no Camaro clubs around here. There used to be a small one (I believe it was called Generations), but we haven't seen them in years. It would be neet to have one around here though if anyone wanted to start one (having a complementary f-body club would be cool).
Old 12-01-2005, 12:20 PM

Mrws6speed,
Thanks for the great news!!! I know that Ill pass then, well once I get my car tuned!! One question about the gas cap what should I do to make sure that I pass the first time around? And for the camaro or thirdgen club that would be a great idea, but I think it would be better to include people from around the area including Grants, Gallup, Santa Fe, East mountain area, well I guess most of New Mexico! I don’t know how we can start it but I’m willing to put some work into it!! However during the school year I’m down in Las Cruces but come into Albuquerque at least once a month. Let me know if you’re serious about starting one Ill defiantly put the time and effort to get one started as long as there are people that are willing to do the same.

Last edited by spedrace35; 12-01-2005 at 03:46 PM.