South West Region South West regional discussion board.

For those who paint.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 04:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those who paint.

Fact: Having a shop paint your car is not cheap.

Question: For those who do your own painting how good is the quality? What might a shop charge for quality that you have done on your own paint job? If you respond to this what might you charge or trade to completely paint a Formula, labor only? I have garage space to do it in with a compressor and can get paint guns and sanders, just never painted before, don’t know anything about it.

Anyway all input is appreciated.

Mark

Last edited by OMINOUS_87; 01-01-2003 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-01-2003, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '87 Formula
Engine: 350
Transmission: Auto
I did my own paint job, and I think it looks pretty darn good! Its about a week's worth of prep or so, plus or minus, I worked on mine everyday after a long day of work so it could be done in less time, I'm sure.

It's not really all that hard to do, just takes some elbow grease and patience. If you're interested in doing it yourself, you can save quite a sum of money, and gain the experience of doing-it-yourself. I would say I saved about $500. That is what a friend of my dad's offered to do it for me for, plus supplies. Your supplies can vary, depending on what kind of paint you want. You'll need sandpaper, thinner, wax remover, possibly putty for small dents, sanding pads for the DA sander, and of course the paint. May have missed a thing or two there, but your looking at about $350 for paint and supplies, thats what I wound up with, with the majority of that cost being paint.

Anyways, if you want to try it yourself, I'd suggest it if your willing to put in some effort and patience. Like I said, I am very pleased with my paint job. Also, if you pay a shop to do it, you get what you pay for. $500-$900 paint job from a shop probly is going to be a pretty sh*ty one, whereas if you do it yourself and take the time, it just may turn out pretty good.

I wound up with orangepeel, but after a good wetsand and some buffing, it looks excellent now.

Like I said, if you want to try it yourself, let me know, I'd be glad to help you out as much as possible, I am no expert by far, but I'll help you with what I know.

I'll post a pic of my finished paint job later, the site the pic is on is temporarily down.

Later,
Ben
Old 01-02-2003, 09:00 PM
82Z28NAZ

It's pretty strait forward. I've seen guys with half a brain do it and it turned out pretty good. I've done it myself on a few occasions. I have to say doing your own paint job and doing it good is the most self gratifying thing you can do to your car.