South East Region Regional Board for South East Members.

Official Tampa, FL Area Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 12:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z
Engine: 454
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Official Tampa, FL Area Thread

i was having similar charging issues a few years back. on a friends suggestion, i added a 10 gauge wire from the alt to the battery +. never had another problem, even after putting the battery in the back. strange huh?
Old 02-13-2015, 12:14 AM
Supreme Member

simple voltage drop test;
http://forums.hotrod.com/circle-trac...your-race-car/

less than 3 minutes and your done. very easy to do and well worth it.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:48 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: LH6
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Auburn Posi

Originally Posted by redneckjoe
i was having similar charging issues a few years back. on a friends suggestion, i added a 10 gauge wire from the alt to the battery +. never had another problem, even after putting the battery in the back. strange huh?
simple voltage drop test;
http://forums.hotrod.com/circle-trac...your-race-car/

less than 3 minutes and your done. very easy to do and well worth it.
I'll have to try that this weekend.

I've got a new wiper motor on order, and I've been browsing better plug wires, any suggestions?

Loneroad, if you want a hand this weekend let me know, I'm just putting my power steering back on this weekend.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:19 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

What do you guys think of these wires?

http://shop.accel-ignition.com/ignit...t-bk-6506.html
Old 02-13-2015, 11:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 90RS Conv.
Engine: 383 w/ small shot
Transmission: th400
Axle/Gears: moser 9in

Originally Posted by RubberDucky
I'll have to try that this weekend.

I've got a new wiper motor on order, and I've been browsing better plug wires, any suggestions?

Loneroad, if you want a hand this weekend let me know, I'm just putting my power steering back on this weekend.

I should be ok. I got 12volts before the relay but 10 and dropping to the fuel pump. I ordered a new fuel pump relay kit. Im hoping that when I put the interior in I pinched a wire in the carpet or sill plates. either way its coming out and being replaced. Im probably going to change location of the realy too. I had it under the carpet where the rear seat used to be,right above the sending unit wires. in case I had to leave the car somewhere I could reach back and pull the relay.
The battery is in the trunk, im not sure exactly where im going to put it at this point.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:58 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by loneroad
I should be ok. I got 12volts before the relay but 10 and dropping to the fuel pump. I ordered a new fuel pump relay kit. Im hoping that when I put the interior in I pinched a wire in the carpet or sill plates. either way its coming out and being replaced. Im probably going to change location of the realy too. I had it under the carpet where the rear seat used to be,right above the sending unit wires. in case I had to leave the car somewhere I could reach back and pull the relay.
The battery is in the trunk, im not sure exactly where im going to put it at this point.
Cool, sounds like an easy job lol.

Are you running one of those Holley electric carb fuel pumps?
Old 02-13-2015, 06:06 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Well, plug wires inspected, replaced one that was a tad damaged, checked timing, was at 18* initial, I backed it down to 10* initial. Still misfires. Going to pull plugs out tomorrow and check them.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:14 PM
Supreme Member

looks like some decent wires to me. i've used accel wires a few times with no complaint.

i like the custom fit wires. usually comes out cleaner.

years ago i always used solid core wires. but the last MSD box i bought says not to use solid core wires. never noticed that before.

ive been using the summit or jegs house brand wires the last few times. no complaint there either.

read a lil tip about cleaning the outside of plug wires. (im lazy now and dont care), but, if you use a rag and vasoline, they clean up pretty easy.

helped a buddy put some DOHC motor in his civic yesterday. had a great time smack-talking all day.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:16 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

looks like some decent wires to me. i've used accel wires a few times with no complaint.

i like the custom fit wires. usually comes out cleaner.

years ago i always used solid core wires. but the last MSD box i bought says not to use solid core wires. never noticed that before.

ive been using the summit or jegs house brand wires the last few times. no complaint there either.

read a lil tip about cleaning the outside of plug wires. (im lazy now and dont care), but, if you use a rag and vasoline, they clean up pretty easy.

helped a buddy put some DOHC motor in his civic yesterday. had a great time smack-talking all day.
B, H, F, and K series swapped Civics are no joke. I've seen quite a few fast ones.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 Z28
Engine: Turbo 5.3
Transmission: 4l80e
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"

Was browsing craigslist because I was bored and saw this car listed
http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/4843555000.html

I knew that car was a member's on here and I found it to be built91z28's car. I loved that car when looking through his build threads awhile ago and it's sad to see it's in that condition now. He hasn't been on in two years, so it's probably been sitting outside for awhile...
Old 02-16-2015, 07:29 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 84LsxZ28
Was browsing craigslist because I was bored and saw this car listed
http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/4843555000.html

I knew that car was a member's on here and I found it to be built91z28's car. I loved that car when looking through his build threads awhile ago and it's sad to see it's in that condition now. He hasn't been on in two years, so it's probably been sitting outside for awhile...
Yeah, I couldn't remember his name on here either. Real sad part is he won't get what he's asking for, I don't see it selling for more than 5 with the condition its in.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:27 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Name:  TZ20J7y.png
Views: 5
Size:  503 Bytes

Going to order these today, look good?
Old 02-16-2015, 12:33 PM
Supreme Member

i've had those cheap wire looms before and didnt care for them. but you might have better luck?
the boot gaurds seem like a good idea. i've considered using them a few times, but havent burnt a boot yet.

the craigslist camaro seems to have a very nice drivetrain, but i agree, never gonna get that much money.
pretty paint and wheels sell cars. most people wouldnt understand the motorhead lingo, or care. its sad, but true. does sound like a nice car to me though, lol.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:39 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

i've had those cheap wire looms before and didnt care for them. but you might have better luck?
the boot gaurds seem like a good idea. i've considered using them a few times, but havent burnt a boot yet.

the craigslist camaro seems to have a very nice drivetrain, but i agree, never gonna get that much money.
pretty paint and wheels sell cars. most people wouldnt understand the motorhead lingo, or care. its sad, but true. does sound like a nice car to me though, lol.
I don't expect the looms to be all that great, but anything is better than what its at now.

Installing new plugs tonight, I've got noise near that rocker that was loose again. Just needs to last till I can get a new daily.

I also ordered the sending units for my oil pressure, and water temp gauges. Hopefully can have those working this weekend.

Last edited by RubberDucky; 02-16-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:41 PM
Supreme Member

man, sorry to hear about the rocker noise again. it can only be so many things. so frustrating sometimes. i went through a bad batch of pushrods about 5 years ago. kept breaking em up by the tip. finally changed them all out and never had a problem again. not saying thats your issue. a mechanics stethascope might help isolate the noise. theyre cheap at harbor freight. like under $5. very handy tool to have.
if its a fresh build, re-tighten header bolts. well,...i know your not a rookie.

i've done nothing but add air to a low/leaky tire all week. yup, a slacker.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:48 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

man, sorry to hear about the rocker noise again. it can only be so many things. so frustrating sometimes. i went through a bad batch of pushrods about 5 years ago. kept breaking em up by the tip. finally changed them all out and never had a problem again. not saying thats your issue. a mechanics stethascope might help isolate the noise. theyre cheap at harbor freight. like under $5. very handy tool to have.
if its a fresh build, re-tighten header bolts. well,...i know your not a rookie.

Haha, I need to recheck header bolts. I was supposed to fix it this weekend and put the power steering on. But I was too lazy and didn't.

If anything, this rocker is an excuse for better heads, intake, and carb.

I readjusted my seating position last week and its so much better now, really needs a manual to be even more fun. Lol.

Ordered a new wiper motor and seal. That makes $300 spent on the car today alone. I'll have a $250,000 car soon enough. Lol.

Also, Loneroad. How much did you want for that B&M oil cooler? I'm going to be putting together an oil system soon to replace this junk canister filter.

Last edited by RubberDucky; 02-16-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:11 PM
Banned

Car: 89 Camaro RS running MS2X
Engine: .48/.60AR T3/T4 2.8L V6
Transmission: Rebuilt 700R4 2500 stall
Axle/Gears: Next to break...

Long screwdriver works just as well. Its what Ive been using for years and its what I used on Duckys car. Im sure at this point its just a leaking header.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:12 PM
Banned

Haha, I need to recheck header bolts. I was supposed to fix it this weekend and put the power steering on. But I was too lazy and didn't.

I readjusted my seating position last week and its so much better now, really needs a manual to be even more fun. Lol.

Ordered a new wiper motor and seal. That makes $300 spent on the car today alone. I'll have a $250,000 car soon enough. Lol.

Also, Loneroad. How much did you want for that B&M oil cooler? I'm going to be putting together an oil system soon to replace this junk canister filter.
I need to get an oil cooler on mine now with the turbo, lol.

I work straight through to at least saturday, and wont find out my next days off till saturday as well. Ill let you know then if ill come out this weekend.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:39 PM
Supreme Member

the b&m plate style is on my car. i have a new hayden tube and fin style trans cooler i can get rid of.

willie, id dint get to the springs this weekend. Ill try to get them yanked this weekend coming up.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:06 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

the b&m plate style is on my car. i have a new hayden tube and fin style trans cooler i can get rid of.

willie, id dint get to the springs this weekend. Ill try to get them yanked this weekend coming up.
Oh, I see. I'll just order another B&M then.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:14 AM
Banned

Thats alright man, I'm not sure if I can get out there this weekend or not either. Good news is I'm about to order all I need to rebuild my trans tonight.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:47 AM
Supreme Member

good luck on the tranny rebuild. any hi-po parts going in or basic rebuild? i gotta admitt i was never far in a tranny til i tore my th350 apart. it wasnt as bad as i thought it was gonna be. its working great so far. i think im going to treat her to a new filter and fluid just to get any possible rebuild dirt/junk out of there. probably a smart idea?

about time for new plugs here too. usually once a year i change them, and at 6 months i clean & spark test them. i dont index, but even spark check new plugs. hey, guys can drop them at the parts store,...you never know. i make one of my boys pull the mower cord while i use a welding glove, lol.
last time i bought plugs it was for my sons truck, a 350. the azzholes put 2 different heat range plugs in the 8-pack box. luckily i noticed it. that was a new trick to me.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:30 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

good luck on the tranny rebuild. any hi-po parts going in or basic rebuild? i gotta admitt i was never far in a tranny til i tore my th350 apart. it wasnt as bad as i thought it was gonna be. its working great so far. i think im going to treat her to a new filter and fluid just to get any possible rebuild dirt/junk out of there. probably a smart idea?

about time for new plugs here too. usually once a year i change them, and at 6 months i clean & spark test them. i dont index, but even spark check new plugs. hey, guys can drop them at the parts store,...you never know. i make one of my boys pull the mower cord while i use a welding glove, lol.
last time i bought plugs it was for my sons truck, a 350. the azzholes put 2 different heat range plugs in the 8-pack box. luckily i noticed it. that was a new trick to me.
I'll have to inspect mine when I get home then. I still haven't installed the new ones. Just going to wait till I have the wires and stuff to do it all.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:30 AM
Banned

All heavy duty stuff from ProBuilt. Also all upgrades to address the problems GM failed to fix. Its going behind a turbo motor so no stock replacement stuff for me. Also doing the heavy duty shift kit and already have the vette servo and boost valves.

Yea, last time I got plugs, Advance gave me 2 different kinds. Now when someone buys plugs at Autozone I double check part numbers and the gap for the customers.

After the rebuild I will finally feel the real difference with the turbo, compared to the beaten, battered and slipping trans that in here now. Though I can't complain, slipping or not it hasn't let me down or left me stranded. Thanks to Ducky I have been able to drive my car after nuking the 3-4 pack in the trans I am about to rebuild, lol.

This will be my first trans rebuild, though I have already disassembled the 700 to familiarize myself with the internals. It shouldn't be too bad and Ill take my time with it.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:07 PM
Supreme Member

i watched a bunch of videos on youtube first, lol. gotta love todays information highway.
the first time i put it back together i broke a small ring. long story short it was my fault for building it sideways on the workbench. it was pointed out to me that it must be built standing up. some parts stack and are only held in place by gravity. hey, it was my first one, lol.
i guess theres a certain sense of pride in rebuilding your own tranny, like building a motor? sure saved a boat load of money too!
Old 02-17-2015, 01:40 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

i watched a bunch of videos on youtube first, lol. gotta love todays information highway.
the first time i put it back together i broke a small ring. long story short it was my fault for building it sideways on the workbench. it was pointed out to me that it must be built standing up. some parts stack and are only held in place by gravity. hey, it was my first one, lol.
i guess theres a certain sense of pride in rebuilding your own tranny, like building a motor? sure saved a boat load of money too!
I haven't heard anyone call the internet the information highway since the 90's.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:28 PM
Supreme Member

I haven't heard anyone call the internet the information highway since the 90's.
i suppose im not real tech savvy? hey, im a grandpa 3 times already.

i could use some ideas. my fiberglass cowl hood is cut out in the back, homemade airpan, works great. But, when it rains i get water splashed in there sometimes. so i've been throwing a towel in there now and then. it helps some. but i'd like to find a plug similar to this;
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrd-1999/overview/

it needs to be about 3" x 25" overall. i wonder if anybody makes one or i could make something? i thought about cutting up an old couch cushion but IDK? any suggestions on some better foam? maybe cut it out with a hot knife so it doesnt fall apart?
Old 02-17-2015, 06:17 PM
Supreme Member

i could use some ideas. my fiberglass cowl hood is cut out in the back, homemade airpan, works great. But, when it rains i get water splashed in there sometimes. so i've been throwing a towel in there now and then. it helps some. but i'd like to find a plug similar to this;

it needs to be about 3" x 25" overall. i wonder if anybody makes one or i could make something? i thought about cutting up an old couch cushion but IDK? any suggestions on some better foam? maybe cut it out with a hot knife so it doesnt fall apart?

are you looking to make it removable or permanent? or just somethuing for when it sits?

I would think that anything removeable would get sucked out at speed.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:19 PM

Go to a place like Jo-ann's fabric, they have a ton of foams to choose from. They will also most likely have some plastic to mount the foam to. I think a carpet knife or a blade of the like would be ideal to cut the foam, depending on thickness.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:41 AM
Supreme Member

i want it removable. its just for when it sits outside. i have a carport, but often times i have other projects under it and the iroc must be in the elements.

i hadnt thought of a craft store. thats a good idea.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:59 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

New parts should be in tomorrow. Going to install everything on Saturday. You guys are more than welcome to come out and hang out if you'd like.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:48 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

I've been having a burning oil smell the last two days, went searching for it tonight, seems I have a leaky valve cover gasket. Not a big deal, I'll replace both Saturday. Napa sells them for the same price as AZ, going to get them from there. Also will have my alt tested at AZ, if they tell me its bad I'm going to get my money back and go buy one from Napa.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:34 PM
Banned

I've been having a burning oil smell the last two days, went searching for it tonight, seems I have a leaky valve cover gasket. Not a big deal, I'll replace both Saturday. Napa sells them for the same price as AZ, going to get them from there. Also will have my alt tested at AZ, if they tell me its bad I'm going to get my money back and go buy one from Napa.
Bout time. Make sure you didnt crank those down like you did on the 3.4 oil pan, lolol
Old 02-19-2015, 07:53 AM
Supreme Member

if you want to make things easier on yourself, dony buy the cork gaskets . buy the rubber and steel gaskets. they are reusable and last forever. more importantly they don't squish and leak,

look into something like these with studs. a little blue locktite on the studs and you never have to worry about the gasket slipping while putting the v/c back on
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-302-315/overview/

Last edited by loneroad; 02-19-2015 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:35 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

if you want to make things easier on yourself, dony buy the cork gaskets . buy the rubber and steel gaskets. they are reusable and last forever. more importantly they don't squish and leak,

look into something like these with studs. a little blue locktite on the studs and you never have to worry about the gasket slipping while putting the v/c back on
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-302-315/overview/
Yup, I was planning on getting the rubber gaskets from Napa. I'll order studs today, and put them on when they come in. Got a carb filler panel coming from a fellow FL TGO member, and I will be removing my A/C condenser this weekend as well. I also noticed one of my 90* AN fittings has been damaged and I will be replacing it with a spare one I have.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:45 PM
Supreme Member

those rubber gaskets work great. i'm done with cork.

we used to use a/c condensors for tranny coolers. they work awesome!

cold enough for everybody?
Old 02-19-2015, 04:49 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

I love this cold. Lol
Old 02-19-2015, 07:43 PM

Damn, never would have thought of using a condensor for a tranny cooler.

And the cold is great, finally feels like there's another season here, lol.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:47 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Well, here I am. Still at work. I have to get 200 computers ready for use by 8AM tomorrow.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:05 PM
Banned

Well, here I am. Still at work. I have to get 200 computers ready for use by 8AM tomorrow.
Ouch. Much needed funds though.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:58 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L V6

This cold reminds me of the mornings in Germany walking to school(well, not quite as cold but just a reminder)....if there were 30-50mph winds to go with it, it would remind me of El Paso, TX and waiting on my school bus to come late as usual. It was miserable at the time, but still, I LOVE IT!!!
Old 02-20-2015, 09:03 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by willexoIX
Ouch. Much needed funds though.
Ended up leaving at 12. Got over 15 hours in yesterday.
Originally Posted by CharcoalBird
This cold reminds me of the mornings in Germany walking to school(well, not quite as cold but just a reminder)....if there were 30-50mph winds to go with it, it would remind me of El Paso, TX and waiting on my school bus to come late as usual. It was miserable at the time, but still, I LOVE IT!!!
Yeah, I'm loving this weather too!
Old 02-21-2015, 09:09 AM
Supreme Member

well, im at a crossroads. i had to drive up to north Orlando to buy 5 gals of ms 109 and get my bottle filled. the place i used to go to has closed.

I looked into getting my own mother bottle and pump to refill my own bottles but, that's gonna run around 1500 to get myself setup. and i would still have to drive up to exchange bottles. i asked, you can get about 4 refills from amother bottle.

the expense would be ongoing....Im thinking about going to the dark side..turbo

i bought all the turbo books, iguess its time to sit down and read. At least the car is up and running, and i can play with it while i build the turbo motor.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:07 AM
Banned

well, im at a crossroads. i had to drive up to north Orlando to buy 5 gals of ms 109 and get my bottle filled. the place i used to go to has closed.

I looked into getting my own mother bottle and pump to refill my own bottles but, that's gonna run around 1500 to get myself setup. and i would still have to drive up to exchange bottles. i asked, you can get about 4 refills from amother bottle.

the expense would be ongoing....Im thinking about going to the dark side..turbo

i bought all the turbo books, iguess its time to sit down and read. At least the car is up and running, and i can play with it while i build the turbo motor.
Welcome to the dark side....

You'll never go back, lol
Old 02-21-2015, 10:35 AM
Supreme Member

yeah, Im going to fast xfi this year, so I guess its the next transition..

with forced induction where does head runner size come into play?

I have the AFR 1095's. comp port 195"s on a 383.

im looking at going with the dart lil m. the 195s would be a little on the small size NA for say a 421-427. but are they small for forced. what is the rule of thumb on picking runner sizes?
Old 02-21-2015, 11:51 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

im looking at going with the dart lil m. the 195s would be a little on the small size NA for say a 421-427. but are they small for forced. what is the rule of thumb on picking runner sizes?
I'd be interested in your 195s if you get new heads for FI and i don't get anything else sooner.

Installed the new plugs and wires today. Car runs better than it did before the misfire came back. I'm really happy with it now.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:20 PM
Banned

I'd be interested in your 195s if you get new heads for FI and i don't get anything else sooner.

Installed the new plugs and wires today. Car runs better than it did before the misfire came back. I'm really happy with it now.
Good to hear. I had a feeling it was that nasty plug from before the valve lash was done.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:24 PM
Banned

I'm not sure on that question, but the less restriction the better. You would also want the torque down low where you wont be in boost, IE off boost. Thatll help spool sooner and it would drive well when not in boost.

The above is what I gather from forced induction, but may differ some from my assumtions. I would think torque down low to help streetability/spool time would be best, cause the turbo would take over once in boost.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:48 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by willexoIX
Good to hear. I had a feeling it was that nasty plug from before the valve lash was done.
ALL of the plugs were nasty as ****. Might need to buy heads soon.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:52 AM
Supreme Member

just found this on the bullet
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201.../#more-1008890
RD this looks up your alley

Quick Reply: Official Tampa, FL Area Thread