South East Region Regional Board for South East Members.

24 Hours of LeMONS

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 trans am
Engine: 350sb
Transmission: t400
Axle/Gears: 7.5/2.73
24 Hours of LeMONS

THREE SIMPLE STEPS:
1. FILL OUT A TEAM ENTRY. On it, tell us why you guys would be cooler than all those other lame-o's who applied for the same race. (We make our decisions based on how much fun we figure you'll be to hang out with all weekend. So, okay--maybe we're a little shallow.)
2. WAIT TO BE ACCEPTED. Selection takes place right after the event's Entry Deadline, which is ten weeks before the race. (If you have a really, really, really compelling reason why you need to hear sooner, try us...but be sure to read Rule 2.4 first.) The fees are the same for each race ($500 per car $100 per driver). Don't send it until your team gets officially accepted.
3. AFTER ACCEPTANCE, PAY THE ENTRY FEE and finish preparing your heap.

WHAT'S IT COST?
Entry is $500 per car and $100 per driver. That fee covers registration, track time, paddock pass, safety crews, cheap sweatshop-made commemorative crap, and anything else we come up with by then. For $75, non-driving team members get all the same bennies except track time. People who aren't hanging out in a pit space or physically touching any of the cars can get an all-access paddock pass for $20/day or $30/weekend.

WILL MY TEAM GET ACCEPTED?
Maybe. Maybe not. We usually get more applications than each racetrack can handle, so we have to pick and choose. Boring applications like "We are four guys who love to race, and we have done (blah blah blah) driving before" don't give us too much to work with: You might get in, and you might not. Applications like "Choose us, because we'll wear beaver costumes in the paddock and our car is entirely coated in birch bark" give you much better odds.

WHAT'S A $500 CAR, EXACTLY?
A car that reaches the starting line for a grand total investment of $500, including purchase and preparation. The only things not included in that figure are approved safety equipment, brakes, and wheels/tires.

DO $500 CARS REALLY EXIST?
Absolutely--just look at the Gallery. The best ways to find candidates are by looking on Craigslist, reading local bulletin boards, and cruising through crummy neighborhoods.

DO I NEED TO SMOG IT AND REGISTER IT AND INSURE IT?
No. The whole thing takes place on a private racetrack, so there are no DMV or auto-insurance requirements.

WHY NOT CHEAT ON THE $500 LIMIT?
Because our BS-Factor judging panel will dock you one lap for every additional $10 it thinks you spent. It's also a claiming race, meaning the organizer can buy your car after the race for $500 if he thinks you've been cheating.

I'm going to be entering either this years, or next years but I am going to start getting my team and car ready for this. Anybody interested let me know, PM me for the link to the site or any other info. Me and a couple of my local buddies are already planning on what we're going to use.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L V6
Re: 24 Hours of LeMONS

That sounds like a lot of fun. If my $500 Geo Metro wasn't my daily driver i'd think about entering it in. What car are you using?
Old 03-11-2012, 03:32 PM

Car: 88 trans am
Engine: 350sb
Transmission: t400
Axle/Gears: 7.5/2.73

Not sure yet, we're checking junkyards for setups at the moment
Old 05-09-2012, 03:06 PM

try chump cars too !!!