South East Region Regional Board for South East Members.

How to: start a camaro club in my area

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 RS
Engine: 2.8L v6
Transmission: 5-speed
How to: start a camaro club in my area

Sorry this is off topic i couldnt find where to post it... if it needs to be moved i am sorry..
i was driving around with my friend in his 68 mustang and we were approached by a guy in a new svt cobra, he invited my friend to join the club and we went to a car show where his mustang won 3 trophies. but it got me thinking and i looked for a camaro owners club in my area of florida and there isnt one! so i decided to consider making my own camaro owners club. i would get sponsorship from my parents business, Publix(where i work, its a supermarket) and maybe a chevy dealership, and a discount autoparts stroe or something. well i was just looking for some help. if you have any ideas please post them, any past experiences are welcome also. and if anyone lives near the manatee area in florida and would like to be a member it is free, but it wont be up and running as a club for a few weeks i imagine. thanks
Old 05-30-2004, 01:11 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.

You'd find this!!

My bet would be to contact one of them and ask how they started.
Old 05-30-2004, 05:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 83 Z-28
Engine: 406
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.70
I am a member of the Heartland Camaro Club in Western Kentucky and we our club started with about 5 members and is now over 50. The membership is $20 per year. This covers the expense of paper, stamps, and envelopes to send notices of when and where to meet each month. Also, we get email notifications. We meet the second Tuesday of the month at different restaurants. Mostly ones that we can eat outside at so that we can check out our cars and talk about them. Sometime there are over 30 Camaros in one parking lot and people off the street come over and check them out like it's a car show or something. It's really fun.

You will need a President, Vice President, and a Secretary. The President starts off talking about shows and races and if the members did good at the events then goes on to new business such as upcoming shows and races. The Vice President just fills in when the President is not there. The secretary takes care of mailing the news letters out every month. Also, takes the names, addresses and membership fees for new members. You'll need to open an account to keep the membership money in so that you can pay for any expense out of that account and not your own pocket.

Our club puts on 2 car shows a year for charity. This really brings the club members together because everyone can take a part in the organization of the shows. We get local businesses to give us money or door prizes for the shows. Mostly we try to get businesses to sponsor trophies. By doing this we can the trophies paid for and the businesses name will be on the trophy for advertisement. So it's a good deal for everyone. Hope this helps. Any quesions feel free to PM me.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:17 PM

Car: 1991 Trans AM GTA
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
our club is not setup in the format that he mentioned above with the pres, vice pres, and secretary. we have people that will volunteer for different things like one of the girls decided that she would try to get some ideas together from everyone on things to do this summer. we have a website so that everyone can ask questions and keep up with things that are going on. our site has a forum on it where all of that stuff is posted and we also have a junkyard section where anything that is not club related or related to cars can be posted. our membership fees are $25 for initial membership which gets you a window decal for your car and a club t-shirt. after the first year, the fees are $20 per year. some of our members will take part in local car shows and others like to race. we have a good group that is into both the show aspect of the cars and the race aspect, some like both while others choose one or the other based on what they want to do with their cars. hope this helps a little.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:36 AM

thanks guys your responses helped a lot... ill try and keep everyone informed on my progress. thanks a lot.. i was lost.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:57 AM

Car: 92 CAMARO
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: auto
Club

Put my name down. I live in Sarasota.

92 Camaro RS
RANDY
Old 06-12-2004, 11:15 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Pm JWKbride...he founded the club I'm in, the ACFA, and its first rate. I'm sure he would be glad to help, and could probably provide copies of bylaws and lots of pointers for starting a club. He's a great guy, and I credit him for making our club so successful.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:01 PM

CLUB

How are things going with your camaro club???
Old 06-29-2004, 07:56 PM

Hows things going with your club in Manatee?????????
Old 06-30-2004, 11:23 AM

sorry i totally forgot about this post so i didnt check it in a while. but the clubs progress is moving at a snails pace mostly because i really dont know what to do next... but im going to pm jwkbride and hopefully he will be able to point me in the right direction. sorry about the time it has taken me to reply.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:14 AM

Car: 1992 Pontiac Trans Am Convertible
Engine: 305 H.O.
Transmission: 700R4
Just happen to be surfing and saw this thread...don't think Ive gotten an email yet from you yet.

Here is some helpful hints....BTW Joe H. Thanks for the kind words they mean a lot to me!

1. You’re the member and not your car is the mantra of all good car clubs. The club I belong to has both Camaro’s and Firebirds owners in it. In our case we welcome all years and generations of the F-Car.

We have members that range for 16-year-old students (with parents signed permission of course) to a retired Chief of Police who has adult children. We have had people whose education ranged from High School dropouts to PhD’s and Lawyers. It does not matter if you have a 30th Anniversary SS with 900 RWHP or a primered up 20-year-old V6 that smokes and squeaks.

We are a mixed bag with on thing in common and that’s we love our cars! Everyone is treated the same and equal no matter what.

Everyone must check there ego at the door.

2. the clubs officers are leaders and servants to the club. From the President to the newest member no ones opinion is worth more than the others. Often there is a misconception that if you’re a club officer you are over everyone else and at the top of the food chain.

Successful clubs elect officers who are energetic and serve the members as opposed to egotistical and self-serving. Our club officers work hard organize events and facilitate our meetings. Holding an officers position is one of giving back to the hobby and fellow enthusiast and is considered a privilege.

3. Get a sponsor and have a two-way relationship with them! It’s easy for clubs to forget that sponsorship is a two way street. In our case, a local Pontiac-GMC and Chevrolet dealer is our clubs sponsor. They provide us a place to meet, give us discounts on parts and help us with trophies for our annual car show.

In return we set up their annual customer appreciation day car show. Carefully select outstanding sponsors and it will go along way in adding to the benefits your club members enjoy.

4. Support the community and local charities. Each year since 1999 we have had a car show centered on or about Veterans Day. We have given money to the WW.II Memorial and on several occasions we have donated to the local Atlanta Airport USO.

In one case we had a member with cancer and we did a show in his honor. Now as a recovering cancer survivor he is engaged to be married in the fall. These efforts are very rewarding and give all the members a sense of pride and accomplishment. Nothing builds on a clubs Esprit de Corps than working together for a noble cause.

5. Do things that families can participate in! No matter what the event is, it should be family friendly. There is nothing better than feeling your family looks forward to the car club events as much as you do.

The club I’m in has mastered the family friendly aspect of clubbing. We now have at several spouses and family members who own Camaro’s or Firebirds who previously before would not have considered it. From my perspective that’s like having your cake and eating it to!

6. Be sensitive to how club funds are managed. One of the fastest ways for your club to loose members and credibility is to mismanagement of club funds. Not a single cent should be spent without a club vote and discussion.

In cases, were its not practical to have a club vote our club officers must unanimous agree to authorize funds. A checking account for your club in your clubs name should be established. Various states have different rules that pertain to banking for non profit organizations. A budget report is always provided at each meeting as to keep the membership informed.

7. Be inclusive, not exclusive. There is nothing more rewarding than for me to ask some new member to show me their car. Even underneath primer and a bad bondo job it’s easy to see why an owner loves their car. When fellow members take sincere interest in the unique qualities of each others car without being haughty or condescending, everyone will feel wanted and accepted.

8. Have some basic rules of behavior or decorum while attending club functions. That’s not to say be oppressive. What people do on their own time is their own business, but acting irresponsibly during club activities reflects on all the clubs members not just the guilty parties. If you want people to take your club seriously, then members should understand that doing burnouts in the parking lot after a meeting or street racing is neither cool nor smart.

9. The car club you belong to is what you and the members make it. The officers are only one part of the organization and the club belongs to the members. At some point it will seem that you and the founding members do all the work, but over time (may take a year or two) that will change.

After founding the club believe it or not there will be a time that it will be in the best interest of the organization for you to step down and just be a member. Again this may be after a couple of years....you dont want the club to think its "Your Club" because its really "Their Club".

In our case I remained the President for several years and with trepadation I stepped down with worry that "without me" it would fail.

In reality because it was a "Members" club to begin with the organization did not miss a beat. Our club has continued to grow and the leadership, post me has done nothing less than an outstanding job. Im so proud of "our" club.

If you want to see your club grow then you and members have to get involved. A couple of years ago one of our members took it upon himself to get our club logo embroidered on a shirt and hat. The next thing you know he is taking orders for hats, ****s, jackets, etc.

This single act really sparked our clubs Esprit de Corps and when we go to shows or an event there is no doubt what club we are from. This member was recognized as our 2002 Impact Member of the Year for his outstanding initiative.

....anyway hope these pearls of wisdom help you and your club get underway to the road of success

John Kirkbride
Atlanta Camaro and Firebird Assoc
Founder and member
Old 07-17-2004, 07:23 PM

Lets get a list started on how many people would like to join a camaro club in Sarasota and Manatee co.

1 RANDY