South Central Region Board for the states of Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisana.

Why would someone steal my iroc?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '86 iroc
Engine: lb9 305
Transmission: 700r4
Why would someone steal my iroc?

It sucks that I'm posting this. This morning I opened the door to go to school and what's in front of me? Nothing. So I step out and look around, nothing. Damn this sucks... I had no gas so I'm hoping the car was dumped somewhere close, I'm going to go driving tonight to look around. I planned on having this car forever, I had planned on painting it next weekend. The thing that pisses me off the most is the amount of time I put into the body, the hours are countless. I finally had all the panels lined up, the body was completely straight, no dents, and it was looking like after paint it was going to be great. Why would someone steal a primered up camaro with a torn up interior? Oh well... I'm afraid that after all the time and money I put into this car that I can't afford in money or time to start over on another. So I'll probably look into a fourth gen that doesn't need work if it turns out I'm not getting it back. When I get out of school I will most definately buy another third gen. But I'm still holding out hope that it will be found, after all there are very few thirdgen's around here and even less primered grey ones. Well, here's a pic of the car I worked so hard on...

PS: Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I just had to post it somewhere.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc Hardtop
Engine: LB9 w/G92 Pkg
Transmission: T5 5-Speed
Axle/Gears: 9-Bolt, 3.45
I hope you reported it stolen. Make sure you tell the police that the gas tank was almost empty. My friend in college had his truck stolen and they caught the guys because his truck's gas tank was empty and the crooks had to stop at the closest gas station to put gas in it.

The gas station's video cameras got them on tape and they were caught the next day.

Of course, the truck was found wrecked in a cornfield, but you probably didn't want to know that part.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:33 PM

Car: 1987 Pontiac Trans Am GTA, 1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Engine: Custom 350, 3.1 V6
Transmission: 700R4, 700R4
That sucks man, I've had stuff stolen out of my car, but never my car. I don't know how I'd react. HOpefully they will find it.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:36 PM

Car: 86 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42s/posi/disc
dude i feel sorry for you man...but yeah call the police and give them as much info on the car as you can then get your self a base ball bat and go look for your car... if it were me i wouldnt come home till i found it and when i did i would put who ever has it in the hospital...

also it would be bad *** if one of your family members got your car onto the show "over haulin" and they were all maiing it look like it was stolen.

but that is prolly not what happend any way dude get out there and look for it and i would show any mercy to who ever stole it.
i wouldnt even care if i was arrested int he end i would seriosly kick the persons *** and make sure they had to go to the hospital if i found them.

any way man good luck at finding your car man... ive had **** of mine stolen in the past like my yamaha TRI-Z 250 three wheeler i hadnt even owned it a halfan hour and it was pushed down the road then started while i was in side... i snapped and took of in my camaro to find it then called the sheriffs and turned out my retard brother and his friends took it and blew donuts all over toun with it... i ended up pressing charges on all 3 of them cause i was so pissed... but it wasnt my brothers first time doing soemthign like that to me so he needed to learn a lesson.

any way again good luck at finding your car man.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:41 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990 Camaro
Engine: 355ci
Transmission: TKO-600 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10 bolt
Re: Why would someone steal my iroc?

Originally posted by 123jon321
It sucks that I'm posting this. This morning I opened the door to go to school and what's in front of me? Nothing. So I step out and look around, nothing. Damn this sucks... I had no gas so I'm hoping the car was dumped somewhere close, I'm going to go driving tonight to look around.
Ya i also am with monster.....youre going to look around tonight? If i walked out and my baby was missing i would turn around, run inside, call the police, then you wouldnt see me for the next 12 hours because i would either be in my parents/a friends car looking for it.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:49 PM

Car: Camaro Z281991 Engine: 5.7L/350 TPI Transmission: TH700R4 ··································· Car: Acura CL 1998
Engine: 3.0L/183
Transmission: 4 spd auto/OD
My bro's '92 Golf was disapeared a week ago, but found 3 days later 30 kms away.

Maybe the kid thaught it was an upscale model, maybe a resident got sick of hearing it, and had it towed.. nothing was missing.

I hope you have lock nuts on those ZR1's ...

Its either a joyride ... or parts
Old 09-09-2004, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by z28monster
also it would be bad *** if one of your family members got your car onto the show "over haulin" and they were all maiing it look like it was stolen.
Funny, I thought about that earlier. But that DEFINATLEY didn't happen.

Yeah, I reported it right after I called family members to make sure noone took it. I have the only set of keys, but just wanted to be absolutely sure. I told the cop everything about it and made sure to point out how noticeable it is. I also let him know about the low gas situation. Right after he left I walked my ENTIRE neighborhood, but thats the most I can do at the moment considering I don't have a car right now. I'm wondering if it would be possible to see the camera tapes at a gas station because there are only two gas stations within a close distance. My car had the problem of when you would turn it would choke if low on gas and if you kept hitting the gas it could possibly kill. That's what's making me keep hope that they got spooked by this and dumped it. Well, thanks for the kind words and I'll let ya'll know if anything happens.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:51 PM
Supreme Member

Take a proactive approach, as mentioned talk with the police and get them to look at surveilence camera's from local gas stations on the night it had disappeared.

Report it stolen, you need to act quick all they need is to take it outside of your county and throw a $300 Maaco paintjob on the car, and the cops won't be able to find it......Since they are looking for a primered car, and the crooks can paint it any color...quickly......

If you are reading this and havne't called the police or already taken the necessary steps of tracking it down yourself, you need to do so right now......
Old 09-09-2004, 03:52 PM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: L98
Transmission: built 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

that is what I was thinking, good luck I hope you get it back. as good or better than before
Old 09-09-2004, 03:58 PM

It has an expired brake tag so I'm just hoping the people get pulled over for that or something else. Oddly enough I took out the registration to get a parking decal for school yesterday and was going to put it back today so if they do get pulled over for anything they are ****ed.

Spectre, yeh I have locks, but the rims aren't really important to me right now.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1990 Formula
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi
Dude that sucks i feel for ya, i know i have put alot of work into my car myslef and would be way pissed if someone was cruel enough to take her. I don't know if it has helped but i have had the club (on all 3 of my thirdgens) on my car since i had my license 15 years now, something to think about. hope you get her back in one piece man.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:11 PM

Dude, i feel for you. Same sorta thing happened to me. Except mine had just got everything done to it. New engine and paint. It sucked mad ballz. Expecially since i got a call at 5 am from the cops telling me my car was on fire about a block away. Hopefully that wont happen to yours.

Good Luck...
Old 09-09-2004, 05:14 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro
Engine: 2000 LS1
Transmission: 4L60E SS3600
Thirdgens need alarms. Not a lot of people think so. But these cars are easy to steal. If you dont put an alarm on it you should splice a fuse or a switch into the ignition wire hidden just under the dash so that you can pull it if your in a sketchy area. My car had an alarm that broke, but I am replacing it. I also have done this fuse thing.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:33 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: 91 Z28 & 21 Hellcat Challenger
Engine: L98, Hemi 6.2
i feel very bad man sorry Back in the 80s thirdgens were known for most stolen vechile in the US. Sorry dude. I hope you find it, and kick that persons ***!
Old 09-09-2004, 06:18 PM

Car: 86 IROC-Z
Axle/Gears: 3.42s/posi/disc
isnt there a fuze you could pull in the fuze box that would make it not be able to drive/run
Old 09-09-2004, 07:20 PM
Supreme Member

isnt there a fuze you could pull in the fuze box that would make it not be able to drive/run
All of them.......

The PCM fuse, the VATS fuse are two good ones to take out first....
Old 09-09-2004, 07:30 PM

A fuse box is expected and people know its there, and not totally easy to get at. Adding your own, you can put it anywhere and someone wouldnt necessarely know its there. Just an extra precaution to do it that way.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:25 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI (L98)
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.45
Sorry to hear about that man. I hate theives, and I pray that they get caught.

Keep us updated.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
hey! know what would be cool?!

a automatic kill switch...

one that if you activate it, the fuel injectors wont fire, the ignition wont spark, and the starter wont turn over..... but its automatic so taht when you leave with the keys, no-one can start it..

i think i'll call it Vehicle AntiTheft System.

VATS works.... saved my car from being stolen.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:41 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by MrDude_1

one that if you activate it, the fuel injectors wont fire, the ignition wont spark, and the starter wont turn over..... but its automatic so taht when you leave with the keys, no-one can start it..

vats makes it more difficult. However to get around it people have take to the method that if you take a large hammer and smash open the left side of the column. The vats is great for killing the ignition but once you open up the column there is a little metal tab you have to push over and the car starts. So if they know how to get around it theyre still pretty easy to steal. Plus my windows dont even seal like everything is so easy to break into.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:53 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 19doug90
vats makes it more difficult. However to get around it people have take to the method that if you take a large hammer and smash open the left side of the column. The vats is great for killing the ignition but once you open up the column there is a little metal tab you have to push over and the car starts. So if they know how to get around it theyre still pretty easy to steal. Plus my windows dont even seal like everything is so easy to break into.

uhh. no.

dude. obviously you dont know how vats works... it works to stop that...

you can connect the starter all you want. the ECM isnt firing until the proper resistance is between the VATS wires.

that column breaking method is how you steal any non vats GM since the 70s.

thats also how they tried to steal mine... VATS stopped them.
matter of fact, i now know how to do that because i had to insert my key, and then "steal" my car to drive home. it sucked.

i have pics somewhere if you want to see.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:13 PM
Supreme Member

my bad i obviously got something else i read mixed up then
Old 09-10-2004, 01:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Iroc
Engine: lb9
Transmission: wc t-5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.08 posi
i really hope you find it man.

hopefully they didn't decide to part it
Old 09-10-2004, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by MrDude_1

In my case, there is no VATS...
Old 09-10-2004, 03:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
That has got to suck, I mean who is going to steal a project car. I thought people stopped stealing thirdgens long ago.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:30 PM

Car: 88 Camaro S/C
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700-R4
That sucks dude
And judging by that picture, that was going to be one SHARP looking 'roc. But if it comes to the worst, at least know you had it in you to make the car look that nice. Like there's been occasions where I'd work forever on a drawing, and it would come out fantastic, only to have it lost, or messed up or something. And even though the drawing was gone, I knew that I [IMG]had it in me[/IMG] to do that and I'll always know what I did.

But anyways, I really hope it turns up for ya, and this reminds me even more to put in counter theft functions into my car. Personally I always think of stuff inside the car getting stolen, I never think of the actual car getting stolen, I guess I'm too naive in that aspect (it won't happen to ME), so I need to come to the realization it does happen heh.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:58 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 RS, 05 GTO (sold), 10 TL AWD
Engine: 383 HSR w/DSC1
Axle/Gears: Strange S60/3.73
sorry to hear this, your car was a project I was following. was really hoping to see the finished porject with that sunset orange.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:36 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 firebird
Engine: Pos 2.8 pulled and replaced with a 350 tpi motor converted to carb.
Transmission: 700r4, vette servo,shift kit, hayden 15"x8" trans cooler.
Sucks man,. Part of the problem is the current laws we have. Someone can steal a car hell,2 or 3 times before the scumbag sees any jail time. Law needs to be "Steal someones car and you get your arm chopped off" Too many low lifes steal a car that someone poured tons of work and $ into just to go joy riding in and destroy then the loser gets a slap on the wrist and probation if they are caught.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:49 PM

Car: 85 Iroc-z
Engine: 5.0 V-8
Did you recover your car man?
Old 09-11-2004, 03:17 PM

Well, it was found this morning a half hour away in a parking lot with no rims, battery, dash, and hood. Atleast thats as far as the police saw missing. Honestly I dont even want to go look at it. At this point I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm thinking I'm either going to find a fourth gen or take the couple of grand I can borrow at this point and fix it up. But I just don't know if I want to go through it all again. This is/was my daily driver and I just don't know at this point. Thank ya'll very much for all the well wishes and such, I really do appreciate it. When I do get it back, probably tommorrow, I'll take pics so ya'll can see what I have left or what I have to start back again with. At that point I'll decide whether or not I'll part it out. Although I do have the suspicion that I won't be able to let it go. Again Thank you very much.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:43 PM

I feel for you man
I think you should get some money and rebuild it up again, this time it could be better than before. you never know? and while your at it, you could get a nice alarm system so punks cant steal it again.

in any choice you make, i wish you good luck

-Matt
Old 09-11-2004, 08:19 PM

Car: 88 Camaro S/C
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700-R4
Wow, the fact that they said the dash was missing makes me think it was a fellow third genner that stole it? I mean if someone that doesn't know the thirdgen sees a cool car, and strips it for the parts they think they could sell, how are they gonna know that the dash is infamous for cracking and thus somewhat expensive.
I mean it's an obvious aftermarket hood and wheels, but the dash? come on.

But the parts that were taken are the easiest to replace, you said it yourself you hate the fact that you may have wasted all that time lining up the panels just right. The wheels are extremely easy to put back on, and the hood is just a little lining up and shaving, so it's not the end of the world for your iroc.

And P.S how easy it to get past the wheel locks?
Old 09-11-2004, 08:23 PM

Car: 86 z28
Engine: 305 carbed with 3" Y pipe back
Transmission: 700r4 that is breaking down
thats harsh the rim and stuff got jacked but who knows it might still be in good shape and for insurence sake you should get the rims tires hood and everything back. most likely they just took it to the parking lot and took what they wanted and left the rest. hopefully
Old 09-11-2004, 09:32 PM

Car: 1987 F150...PAAARTY FOUL!
Engine: 300 I6 stump pullin sumbiscuit
Transmission: 4 speed grind box
Axle/Gears: 3.55 unlimited slip differential
man, that makes me wanna tear up...i think i am gonna go and hug my Z28 for ya...

Josh
Old 09-12-2004, 12:33 AM

Car: 92 Z, 91 Formula, 04 CTS, 01 Tahoe
Engine: 355 forged 4 bolt, SuperRam, 58mm t
Transmission: T5, looking for t-56
Sad... I know how it feels to put so much time and money into a project then something like this happens. I feel for ya. I'm glad they found your car. I know it might be hard, but try to keep in mind the positives, like the fact that you have your car back and that it wasn't wrecked, trashed, set on fire, etc. Parts are missing, but you still have a very solid platform to rebuild on.
Anyway, good luck on whatever you decide to do.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:39 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1983 Daytona Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I know what its like to work hard on a project and have it taken away from you... In my case I was rear ended...

Hopefully you can save it and finish it! I hate people that just steal from others....
Old 09-12-2004, 11:04 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by RSpeed
...keep in mind the positives, like the fact that you have your car back and that it wasn't wrecked, trashed, set on fire, etc. Parts are missing, but you still have a very solid platform to rebuild on...
Absolutely. Consider yourself very lucky to get it back with just a few missing parts and no body damage. It was joyriders who stole my friend's truck and every single body panel was smashed when he got it back.

If you put your Camaro back together and paint it sunset orange- it won't even seem like the same car that was stolen.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:53 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 RS, 05 GTO (sold), 10 TL AWD
Engine: 383 HSR w/DSC1
Axle/Gears: Strange S60/3.73
I vote for putting your car back together. I know it seems easier to walk away and by a fourth gen but honestly they don't have the cool factor your car has the possibilty for. you see a nice fourth gen and go meh beacuse there are sooooooooo many around. your iroc if you replace your ss hood toss new wheels on and go sunset orange will have everybody at the intersection gawking. the reason I chose to rebuild my car then by a fourth.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:10 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Iroc
Engine: lb9
Transmission: wc t-5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.08 posi
ah man thats actually not so bad, as long as you have all the reciepts insurance will replace it all. so all your hard work isn't gone, everyting important is ok (panels engine), and after you get the insurance money it will take you a day to get everything back on

cheer up

and find the *********** who did it, cus it had to be someone with a thirdgen
Old 09-12-2004, 10:40 PM

Car: 86 "Ram Air" IROC
Engine: 305 5.Slow
I kinda doubt it was even some1 wanting to sell the parts, i bet it was some1 that wanted the parts for THEIR 3rd gen...I'd be on the lookout for a car with that hood/rims for quite a while.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:43 PM

Car: 86 z28
Engine: 305 carbed with 3" Y pipe back
Transmission: 700r4 that is breaking down
i agree some loser who didn't want to take the time and effort to buy the parts probably ripped it off i am going to put a mark into my fiber hood something i can burn in then if it gets stolen and i see some retard running around with my hood i can get it back possibly
Old 09-12-2004, 11:35 PM
Supreme Member

Location: Somewhere around the South Side of Chicago just crusin' in one of the Niteriders
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92RS 25th Anniv./88 IROC Z28 Vert
Engine: 305 TBI w/Tpi Air / 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4/700r4
Axle/Gears: Posi
Glad you got your car back. My first gen got stolen and stripped to the bone. Nothing but frame when the police called. It took me 20 years to get another Camaro. I say if you can fix it, especially with insurance money, go for it.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:43 PM
Supreme Member

Location: Somewhere around the South Side of Chicago just crusin' in one of the Niteriders
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92RS 25th Anniv./88 IROC Z28 Vert
Engine: 305 TBI w/Tpi Air / 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4/700r4
Axle/Gears: Posi
Glad you got your car back. My first gen got stolen and stripped to the bone. Nothing but frame when the police called. It took me 20 years to get another Camaro. I say if you can fix it, especially with insurance money, go for it.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:52 PM

Car: 2004 Pontiac GTO
Engine: LS1
Transmission: M12
This should be a way to remind people to protect your car from getting stolen. A kill switch, club, alarm system, whatever. I know clubs won't stop most good car thieves but most of the time I would think they would look for another car w/o one. Well, good luck finding your car.

Edit.. just read that you found it after posting. Sorry about your loss. Buy wheel locks for your next set of wheels.

blah, just read that you have wheel locks already. damn!

Last edited by z28kindaguy; 09-12-2004 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:04 AM

I still haven't gotten it back. After hearing what kind of neighborhood its in, I'd rather let the city impound it and go get it. I'm going to call tommorrow to find out the details. As for insurance....liability.... 'nuff said Never in a million years thought I'd have to worry about this with the state my car was in. Oh well, I've taken a stance, as I have with many things lately, that this was a learning experience and if it's left me with anything it's knowledge of what I should and should not do.

As for where I'm going to go with it if I am ok with what I see when it comes back, it's not going to be the same. Firebird 383, I don't know if my car was the one you're thinking of as I was going to paint it black. Even still, left with time to think I'm thinking now that I may actually go with SOM and if not that then the deepest, darkest red I can get without it being maroon, but definately not black. For the hood I'm thinking either a harwood pin on 3" cowl or ss hood. As for wheels I'm going with what I originally wanted, either chrome or polished z06's. Ya'll have any opinions on these possible combos one way or the other?

Again, Thanks for all your thoughts during this crappy situation. At first I didnt even want to look at the site because it was just depressing. But I think, along with time to let it settle, it was coming back and looking on here at what ya'll had to say that made this whole thing easier. Thank you.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Firebird 89 Formula one red one black
Engine: 350, 355
DONT EVER LET SOMEONE BREAK YOUR STRIDE IN LIFE.

You go get your car, fix it up like it deserves. Like you deserve to have it.

POZ
Old 09-13-2004, 09:34 AM
Supreme Member

Hey, I just thought of something. They found it 1/2 hour away and it was almost out of gas when it was stolen.

Get the cops to check the videotapes of all gas stations between the two points. I bet you'll find the theives. Even if you never get your parts back, you know whose legs to break.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:46 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Firebird 383
Hey, I just thought of something. They found it 1/2 hour away and it was almost out of gas when it was stolen.

Get the cops to check the videotapes of all gas stations between the two points. I bet you'll find the theives. Even if you never get your parts back, you know whose legs to break.
paint your car.

and if they were only a half hour away, they probly didnt stop for gas.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:36 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Camaro SC, 1999 Z28
Engine: GMPP 350HO, LS1
Transmission: Built 700r4/EDGE 3200, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Eaton 7.625, 3.42 Zexel Torsen
fix it back up and show those bitches who's boss, don't let some jealous SOB ruin your interests.

If I ever found someone messing w/ my car I'd kill them.

...and mine isn't even that nice.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt w/ 4.10 gears
Originally posted by irocz eric
I kinda doubt it was even some1 wanting to sell the parts, i bet it was some1 that wanted the parts for THEIR 3rd gen...I'd be on the lookout for a car with that hood/rims for quite a while.
I'm agreeing with this scenareo due to the dash pad being stolen. I hope you get your project back on track soon and get past this temporary setback. It's good you posted here, because we all need a reminder of how important it is to protect our thirdgens from theft.

Quick Reply: Why would someone steal my iroc?