Signature Pictures and PhotoShop Requests Post your requests for sig pictures and car photoshopping in here! This board is for the creation and editing of images only.

Help with signature size?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Camaro SC
Engine: None
Transmission: None
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" W/ spool 3.50 gears
Help with signature size?

How come no matter what size picture I upload it always comes out very small? I would like to have it a bit larger?

Anyone know?
Old 01-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi
Re: Help with signature size?

Uploads are limited in size. To get a bigger pic (but there is still a pic dimension restriction) you have to remote host the pic, like in Photobucket, and link to it.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:02 PM
JT
Community Administrator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 265 Likes on 189 Posts

Please observe, per our posted Guidelines:
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/anno....php?f=54&a=60

If your sig is more than 5 lines of text, or contains an image greater than 30k or 400x100 pixels, please do your best to reduce it's size.
Uploading too large of a signature will usually be flagged by users or staff and the request to follow our rules.

Upload signatures are limited to 500x100, with whichever comes first (500 or 100). Your image is 204x100.

I suppose we could review the signature rule within the staff, as it hasn't been updated for a few years and the primary reason was for those on dialup with a secondary reason being screen real estate as the larger the signature, the more scrolling required for users. While the signature option can be turned off for any user who does not want them to be displayed, some would like to see them as a profile/advertisement for the user's vehicle(s).
Old 01-07-2010, 09:13 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 136 Likes on 114 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86

There are also times when your hosting provider doesn't update the files for offsite transfers. I know when I change my sig picture, it may take 24 hours for the forums to finally grab the new photo. To get around this, I usually upload my sig picture as a different file name and change the file name in the sig.

I hate overly large sig pictures especially when they're on a slow host. That's why my sig picture isn't hosted on my web server.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:11 PM

I am only really looking to have my picture a "little" bit bigger. I don't want to run an overpowering signature but I see everyone elses is bigger than mine and I know i'm just doing something wrong. I have had it linked from Photo bucket before and it always ends up like a thumbnail no matter how I size it or where it comes from. I just want to know what th trick is. Not re-rite the signature laws.

Thanks
Old 01-08-2010, 04:56 PM
JT
Community Administrator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Post a link to your Photobucket signature and I'll look at it. As Stephen hinted above, when someone hotlinks an image in their signature (which you would be doing if the picture was hosted outside of our website), it doesn't get controlled the same way as having it hosted here on ThirdGen. Therefore, if the picture is thumbnailed or wrongly sized, then it's because you might not be hotlinking the correct size from Photobucket.

Originally Posted by Fast 383
I am only really looking to have my picture a "little" bit bigger. I don't want to run an overpowering signature but I see everyone elses is bigger than mine and I know i'm just doing something wrong. I have had it linked from Photo bucket before and it always ends up like a thumbnail no matter how I size it or where it comes from. I just want to know what th trick is. Not re-rite the signature laws.

Thanks
Old 01-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 85 SC, 86 Berlinetta
Engine: V6, V8
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4

I see too where the image could be cropped on both the top and bottom which might allow an over all larger image size.

For example: 290px × 100px
Name:  TGOSig.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  6.2 KB

Last edited by Scorpner; 01-08-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:14 PM

Okay, thanks guys. Here is a link to try

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...100_2267-1.jpg

Old 01-18-2010, 06:26 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 136 Likes on 114 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86

My sig picture is hot linked off site. This current picture took almost 24 hours before the offsite host allowed the new image to be viewed. It was using the same name as the last image. Even when I went directly to the new URL, it was still showing the old image. I even purged all my caches and buffers.

If I used a different file name, I could have changed the sig picture instantly but then I would have to change the signature file name in all the forums I use the picture in.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '88 GTA
Engine: L-98
Transmission: T-56

Originally Posted by JT
Please observe, per our posted Guidelines:
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/anno....php?f=54&a=60

Uploading too large of a signature will usually be flagged by users or staff and the request to follow our rules.

Upload signatures are limited to 500x100, with whichever comes first (500 or 100). Your image is 204x100.

I suppose we could review the signature rule within the staff, as it hasn't been updated for a few years and the primary reason was for those on dialup with a secondary reason being screen real estate as the larger the signature, the more scrolling required for users. While the signature option can be turned off for any user who does not want them to be displayed, some would like to see them as a profile/advertisement for the user's vehicle(s).
We have people with pictures twice the size of the required pic size and 2+ times more text then is required all at the same time, by the same person. When your sig takes up the entire screen and is making a mockery out of the rules in place its time to start doing something about it...

Unless we only have to follow some rules? If thats the case, any chance at getting a list of the optional rules?
Old 01-24-2010, 03:30 PM
JT
Community Administrator
TGO - 10 Year Member

If you find them, please report them. There aren't any included tools within vB that we can run to show us user X has a signature over the size limitations (lines and/or remotely hosted images). We have implemented a few restrictions to help prevent signature violations, but we do allow just a bit of "overhead" and without having a locked down signature, we can't always prevent signature violations. Unless you want all signatures to be moderated? I'm sure that wouldn't go over well.

Staff is unpaid, volunteers, that can't see or know of every single thing. Besides staff, each community also relies on the users to also report rule violations. It's why there's a "Report Post" icon inside each post. Please do your part as well by reporting such issues.

In addition, we do receive manual reports from users about signatures violations. I can't speak for every case, but I know when I've been made aware, it does get addressed.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by arrowcamaro
We have people with pictures twice the size of the required pic size and 2+ times more text then is required all at the same time, by the same person. When your sig takes up the entire screen and is making a mockery out of the rules in place its time to start doing something about it...

Unless we only have to follow some rules? If thats the case, any chance at getting a list of the optional rules?
Old 01-24-2010, 03:52 PM

Thank you.

We could probably start by scrolling up in this thread

Originally Posted by JT
If you find them, please report them. There aren't any included tools within vB that we can run to show us user X has a signature over the size limitations (lines and/or remotely hosted images). We have implemented a few restrictions to help prevent signature violations, but we do allow just a bit of "overhead" and without having a locked down signature, we can't always prevent signature violations. Unless you want all signatures to be moderated? I'm sure that wouldn't go over well.

Staff is unpaid, volunteers, that can't see or know of every single thing. Besides staff, each community also relies on the users to also report rule violations. It's why there's a "Report Post" icon inside each post. Please do your part as well by reporting such issues.

In addition, we do receive manual reports from users about signatures violations. I can't speak for every case, but I know when I've been made aware, it does get addressed.

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2010, 08:44 AM

2 weeks of reporting threads as suggested JT. It seems that sig rules are optional.... Again, is there a list of optional rules? It would be very helpful to know.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

There are, essentially, 2 "rules" on pic sizes.

1 is the minimum pic size in a pic that can be uploaded to the TGO web server, then there is the size that can be attached via sourced from another source, such as Photobucket. The first one is smaller than the latter.

Then there is the rule of 5 lines of text in a sig. And yes.....There are plenty of sigs out there that have more than allowed.

But I've gotta ask....Do people that report sigs that "break the rules" have such a meager life, pathetic life, that they sit around looking at sigs & reporting the "rule violaters"? I'm sorry that your life is so pathetic & meager that you feel the need to report such "rule violaters".

Last edited by Stephen; 02-10-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:29 AM
JT
Community Administrator
TGO - 10 Year Member

For the most part, you kept reporting Stephen's signature. As I'm sure Stephen can vouch for, I worked with Stephen to help reduce it. Stephen reduced his signature. I consider it acceptable.

Simple fact is, unless the signature is considerably larger than guidelines, it's not a big issue. The current signature rules haven't been updated in several years, meanwhile, technology has continued to advance.

The rules are not optional. On one hand, some think we're too strict, and on the other hand, some think we're not enforcing enough of the rules. Take your pick. I don't think we can please everyone.

I will give you that you reported a few other signatures, which I have contacted some of those parties to give them a period of time to reduce them. But, for the most part, the bulk of your reports was Stephen's signature (which I worked with Stephen and he reduced it) and a few that weren't exactly considerably larger than guidelines.

In the end, it's the staff's decision. Report those that you feel are an issue and violation of our guidelines and let the staff decide and take appropriate action, if necessary.

Thanks.

2 weeks of reporting threads as suggested JT. It seems that sig rules are optional.... Again, is there a list of optional rules? It would be very helpful to know.