Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Starter won't engage with key!!!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2024 | 03:09 PM

Car: 1986 iroc z
Engine: 305 tpi 5.0L v8 F Vin
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Stock?
86 camaro won't start with key

Hey all
I'm having problems with the starter on my 86 iroc.
When I turn the key everything turns on and the pumps prime and whatnot. However the wint turn over or crank. The starter doesn't even engage. Ive already changed the solenoid and still ditto. I can jump the solenoid However and shell start right up.

I'm thinking it's the starter relay but I have no clue where it is.

All help is appreciated!!

1986 IROC
305 TPI
700R4 Tranny
Old 10-13-2024 | 04:39 PM

Starter won't engage with key!!!?

Hey allI'm having problems with the starter on my 86 iroc.When I turn the key everything turns on and the pumps prime and whatnot. However the wint turn over or crank. The starter doesn't even engage. Ive already changed the solenoid and still ditto. I can jump the solenoid However and shell start right up. I'm thinking it's the starter relay but I have no clue where it is.
1986 IROC
305 TPI
700R4 Tranny
Old 10-13-2024 | 05:08 PM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Starter won't engage with key!!!?

Is there 12V on the solenoid lead WHILE IT'S IN THE ACT OF SCREWING UP? That is, at a time when you turn the key and nothing happens, i.e. WHILE IT'S IN THE ACT OF SCREWING UP, is there 12V there? Obviously whenever the car DOES start, there's 12V at that spot, HAS TO be, so checking it then tells you nothing; gotta catch it WHILE IT'S IN THE ACT OF SCREWING UP. Is there 12V on the solenoid WHILE IT'S IN THE ACT OF SCREWING UP?
Old 10-13-2024 | 05:56 PM
Supreme Member
10 Year Member

Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by Calyps0
Hey allI'm having problems with the starter on my 86 iroc.When I turn the key everything turns on and the pumps prime and whatnot. However the wint turn over or crank. The starter doesn't even engage. Ive already changed the solenoid and still ditto. I can jump the solenoid However and shell start right up. I'm thinking it's the starter relay but I have no clue where it is.
1986 IROC
305 TPI
700R4 Tranny
OK, so, starting from the beginning..... You do not have a "starter relay", as you'll see by looking at the lower right hand side of this 1986 wiring diagram. The circuit is pretty basic, when you turn the key to the start position power will be applied to the fat yellow wire leading to the neutral safety switch. As long as it's in park or neutral, power will be applied to the fat purple wire, which goes to the solenoid. You say it starts if you "jump" the solenoid, so your problem obviously lies in the purple wire not getting power. Do you have a voltmeter and know how to use it? Get to the park/neutral switch at the shifter and with the key in the start position check the yellow, and then the purple wire for power. Got no power at the yellow? Then it's likely your ignition switch either failed or is out of adjustment. Got it at the yellow but not the purple? then it's likely the park/neutral switch is bad or out of adjustment. Got it at the purple but not out at the solenoid? It's likely failed at the body connector. Remember, all of this "assumes" were talking a bone stock unmolested car! Has anyone hacked in an aftermarket alarm that has a "starter interrupt" feature? If so that could have been hacked into either the yellow or purple wire, usually under the dash. So your gonna have to start tracing where power is, and isn't, and checking all I've told you as well as checking for the aftermarket alarm nonsense that's usually WAY better at keeping the owner from starting it than the thief.

So there ya have it, an old man just came in and did yer homework, now get your butt out there and do what I can't do from my easy chair in front of my computer, , , ,

diagnose your problem with the info I just gave you...........

The following users liked this post:
mcb55-210 (Yesterday)
Old 10-13-2024 | 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
OK, so, starting from the beginning..... You do not have a "starter relay", as you'll see by looking at the lower right hand side of this 1986 wiring diagram. The circuit is pretty basic, when you turn the key to the start position power will be applied to the fat yellow wire leading to the neutral safety switch. As long as it's in park or neutral, power will be applied to the fat purple wire, which goes to the solenoid. You say it starts if you "jump" the solenoid, so your problem obviously lies in the purple wire not getting power. Do you have a voltmeter and know how to use it? Get to the park/neutral switch at the shifter and with the key in the start position check the yellow, and then the purple wire for power. Got no power at the yellow? Then it's likely your ignition switch either failed or is out of adjustment. Got it at the yellow but not the purple? then it's likely the park/neutral switch is bad or out of adjustment. Got it at the purple but not out at the solenoid? It's likely failed at the body connector. Remember, all of this "assumes" were talking a bone stock unmolested car! Has anyone hacked in an aftermarket alarm that has a "starter interrupt" feature? If so that could have been hacked into either the yellow or purple wire, usually under the dash. So your gonna have to start tracing where power is, and isn't, and checking all I've told you as well as checking for the aftermarket alarm nonsense that's usually WAY better at keeping the owner from starting it than the thief.

So there ya have it, an old man just came in and did yer homework, now get your butt out there and do what I can't do from my easy chair in front of my computer, , , ,

diagnose your problem with the info I just gave you...........

alright, no after market theft deterence. However there is a b&m ratchet shifter. Im not sure where the neutral and park switch is. I think it's a little box with 2 wires. However, no yellow and purple wires. I do plan to check the power to each one.