Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Header width

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2024, 02:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Header width

I got a set of the generic SBC eBay shorty headers that resemble the Hooker 2460 headers. One thing I noticed after bolting them in is how far they stick out from the heads, which puts them in close proximity of the subfarme rails, and therefore the fuel a brake lines. The stock configuration brake lines in particular are going to be have to be rerouted because they are right up against the headers. I found another post on here about someone who brought up this issue, so this must not just be because I bought eBay headers. Is this just part of running any kind of headers on our cars, or are there headers that fit closer to the engine so they are further away from the brake and fuel lines?
Old 06-30-2024, 03:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,720 Likes on 1,310 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Header width

In general, because of the face angle of the heads where the exh ports are, SBC headers do that. The 1st bend has to go around 120° or some such. You can only bend tubing just so tight, i.e. the radius has some minimum size, so that means they always have to be kinda "wide" in that way. So yeah, we all have that problem.

the generic SBC eBay shorty headers
This tends to be a GIGANTIC mistake. "Generic" headers hardly ever fit our chassis. These chassis are VERY SPECIFIC about where headers need to go. If they're not SPECIFICALLY for 82-92 Camaro, they probably won't install. "Generic", like for street rods, usually won't even come close.
Old 06-30-2024, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
In general, because of the face angle of the heads where the exh ports are, SBC headers do that. The 1st bend has to go around 120° or some such. You can only bend tubing just so tight, i.e. the radius has some minimum size, so that means they always have to be kinda "wide" in that way. So yeah, we all have that problem.

This tends to be a GIGANTIC mistake. "Generic" headers hardly ever fit our chassis. These chassis are VERY SPECIFIC about where headers need to go. If they're not SPECIFICALLY for 82-92 Camaro, they probably won't install. "Generic", like for street rods, usually won't even come close.
I meant "generic" for our cars, not generic for everything made with a SBC. You type in "1982-92 Camaro headers" on eBay and you get about a dozen listings for these headers, and they look just like the Hooker ones I listed.
Old 06-30-2024, 06:08 PM

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts
Car: 82 TA
Engine: Zz430 clone
Transmission: Magnum f
Axle/Gears: Ford 9 w 4.11

I've had 2 different types of headers in my 82. I had a set of original Edelbrock TES headers. They fit well and were pretty good for a poor flowing header. They had decent clearance w the brake lines. I bent them out of the way and they were cool for 15 or so years. As I wanted more power and realized the limitations of those headers I got a set of dons headers. They are larger tubes and actually had more clearance than the edelbrocks. More room on my angle plug heads, more room by the brake lines and numerous other places as well. A set of well made headers are a thing of beauty. They fit and hold up so much better. I've also had a bunch of headers on other cars and trucks. In my experience, the lower buck ones don't fit as well and you have to clearance more stuff to get them to not burn parts of your car. There's also the flanges, I hate replacing header gaskets. Good headers + aluminum gaskets= all
is good!
Old 06-30-2024, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Firechicken82
I've had 2 different types of headers in my 82. I had a set of original Edelbrock TES headers. They fit well and were pretty good for a poor flowing header. They had decent clearance w the brake lines. I bent them out of the way and they were cool for 15 or so years. As I wanted more power and realized the limitations of those headers I got a set of dons headers. They are larger tubes and actually had more clearance than the edelbrocks. More room on my angle plug heads, more room by the brake lines and numerous other places as well. A set of well made headers are a thing of beauty. They fit and hold up so much better. I've also had a bunch of headers on other cars and trucks. In my experience, the lower buck ones don't fit as well and you have to clearance more stuff to get them to not burn parts of your car. There's also the flanges, I hate replacing header gaskets. Good headers + aluminum gaskets= all
is good!
Thanks for the info. I looked at some of the higher priced headers and was amazed at how much you can spend of those things. I was afraid better fitting headers would be more expensive, but I didn't realize how much more expensive. Seems like there would be a way to make good fitting headers cost effectively.