Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

turn signals not working!! need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009 | 11:39 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 GTA "Cocaine"
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
turn signals not working!! need help

the parking lights work

brake lights work

back up lights work

hazards work

when I try to use the turn signals I dont get anything from the dash and the flashers do not work

tried to replace the flasher with no avial

tried to replace the turn/flasher switch in the column and no go

it has to be a wiring problem and I need help

thanks!!!
Old 10-04-2009 | 12:18 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '87 Camaro
Engine: '92 Carb'd 350
Axle/Gears: factory stock
Re: turn signals not working!! need help

Check bulbs?
Can a dual filament bulb be bad inside & cause turns not to work?
That's all I can think of-good luck
Old 10-04-2009 | 12:57 PM

Car: 1990 Firebird Formula
Engine: LB9 - 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73, LSD

I'm having the same problem. Just happened about 10 minutes ago, my turn signals have always worked until now. My passenger side turn signal still works but for some reason the driver side just stays lit when I turn on the left signal.
Old 10-05-2009 | 12:53 AM

Car: 1984 Black Trans Am
Engine: 350 bored .030
Axle/Gears: Stock. Wanting up grade

I would definitely check the bulbs. In my firebird my front passenger side turn signal would not work, would turn on in the dash, but not on the outside, and wouldnt flash. replaced the bulb, BOOM, turn signals. Also, before replacing, take it out, clean it, then put it back in there. did that to all of my brake light bulbs, made 3 work that didnt before, then again my car sat for 3 years. Good luck
Old 10-05-2009 | 05:27 AM

The thing is every light on the outside of my car works. I had that same problem you mentioned. But even on my dash when I turn on my turn signal it doesn't flash. It just stays lit. I'm hoping its that little turn signal relay that clicks under the dash.
Old 10-05-2009 | 07:20 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 GTA "Cocaine"
Engine: 350 tpi
Axle/Gears: 3.27

mr froman you need to change the flasher

the lights on the dash do not work right or left

the lights around the car work with the headlight switch

the hazard switch turns on the flashers on the dash and all the outside lights

please give me some advise besides change the bulbs
Old 10-05-2009 | 10:36 AM

I picked up a flasher today and now it flashes, but any amber colored driver side light won't light up when I go to turn on my lights. They work for the turning signal, but for some reason the left turn signal light on the dash stays lit but won't turn on outside of the car when I turn on my headlights/running lights.

So in other words, the amber lights work only as turning signals.
Old 10-05-2009 | 12:26 PM

I have the same problem no turn signals or flashers got two new fuses but can't even find the so call drop down panel were they are surrpose to go, and please don't tell me under the dash, tell me were under the dash. so i can start from their. thanks for your help
Old 10-06-2009 | 05:39 AM

Is there a fuse anywhere for the "parking" lights?
Old 10-06-2009 | 06:25 AM

Were are these fuses located flashers/signals ??? Were under the dash
Old 10-06-2009 | 10:35 AM

If you look under the dash, you'll see this little round silver thing. That is what clicks when you turn on your turn signal and allows it to blink you can unplug that and put a new one in. Picked one up at NAPA for $3.
Old 10-06-2009 | 11:20 AM

Car: Firechicken
Engine: 350 + 30 over, 400 crank
Transmission: autotragic, stalled
Axle/Gears: not a one tire fire, thank god!

I have the same problem and replaced the flasher, it didn't help. I want to know how to do this also. I did notice that when I have my hazards on, they don't all blink together. Also the rear passenger light stays lit when I want to make a turn, but the front marker and parking light don't light up at all. I need help with this also. I replaced the bulbs, and the flasher but can't find anything else wrong. All the fuses are fine, (I got the glows when it blows fuses) and still have issues.
Old 10-06-2009 | 11:39 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Firebird
Engine: 305 SBC
Transmission: 700 R4 TCI
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I have problems as well. Turn signals work with the headlights off, or on the hazard lights, but not with the lights on. No idea what is wrong. It is and 86 with the amber turn signals in the rear, which I don't think it came with.
Old 10-06-2009 | 11:52 AM

I got the new fuses flasher and signal (same) But i can't find them under the dash any where, I'll start looking for lose connection's i guess
Old 10-07-2009 | 10:06 AM

I'm giving this a bump. I still haven't figured out the problem and was hoping someone here could shed some light on the subject. Anyone got any info.
Old 10-07-2009 | 12:37 PM

Car: 91 Z28, 2000 T/A
Engine: SBC 355, LS1
Transmission: T56, T56
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 3.73, 3.42

Originally Posted by Mr Froman
I picked up a flasher today and now it flashes, but any amber colored driver side light won't light up when I go to turn on my lights. They work for the turning signal, but for some reason the left turn signal light on the dash stays lit but won't turn on outside of the car when I turn on my headlights/running lights.

So in other words, the amber lights work only as turning signals.
Do half the guages on your instrument panel peg up or down? I had the same issue, turn signals work great until you turn the headlights on. Then half the inst panel goes goofy and the driver t/s dash indicator comes on and the driver side t/s doesnt work. I figured out I had a short in my inst panel by swapping my buddies in that worked. I then upgraded to autometers.
Old 10-07-2009 | 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by t-top havoc
Check bulbs?
Can a dual filament bulb be bad inside & cause turns not to work?
That's all I can think of-good luck

Hazard/turn and for the rear the brakelights all use the same filament in the bulb. so if the hazard make all 4 light's work the bulbs aren't the problem.

Last edited by 3rd gen Will; 10-07-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-07-2009 | 03:36 PM

thankyou for that 3rd gen will, but I'm wondering (I still have my problem) if a filament that is burned out, cause the interior turn signal indicator light to stay on when the lights turn on or when you try to make a turn in that direction. That is my problem right now. Anyone have an idea how to fix it? Where are the electrical gurus?
Old 10-09-2009 | 06:57 AM

Sorry for the bump but I still have the same problem and need help from the electrical gurus. Where are you guys? Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 10-09-2009 | 08:59 AM

Everyone please remember that there are TWO flashers. One for the hazard circuit and one for the turn signals. Don't confuse the hazard flasher for the turn flasher. Usually the hazard flasher is located in or close to the fuse block. The turn signal flasher is usually clipped onto a bracket close to the steering column. Why do they put it there? So there is tactile feedback from the clicking of the flasher and so the sound of the clicking is noticeable. I do know that when a flasher goes bad all the symptoms you described match.

Last edited by Mike M; 10-09-2009 at 09:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-09-2009 | 12:10 PM

I get that, but what happens when you replaced both flashers, and all the light bulbs (my dumb *** broke a few taken them out to test them so I had to replace almost all of them!) and you still have the same problem? Where do you go to next? That is what I mean, sorry for the confusion, this S--T is annoying!
Old 10-09-2009 | 05:04 PM

All evidence points to the turn switch in the column.
Old 10-09-2009 | 05:59 PM

That sounds like a female dog. This sucks.
Old 10-09-2009 | 06:26 PM

Easy way to check, disconnect the switch at the column turn your headlights on and see if the dash indicator illuminates.
Old 10-10-2009 | 10:33 AM

I really need a write up for this. Please tell me some one has done this crud before. Help and thanks.
Old 10-21-2009 | 10:48 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Firebird
Engine: 305 SBC
Transmission: 700 R4 TCI
Axle/Gears: 3.42

OK I know the flashers are ok the signals work when the lights are off. When the lights are on they don't blink. Nothing happens with the dash. I have the amber turnsignals in the rear. It is an 86 Firebird which I recently bought so I don't even know whether or not the tails are stock or from another car.
Old 08-17-2018 | 10:10 PM

Car: 86 firebird TA
Engine: 305 4 bbl carb
Transmission: 5 speed
Re: turn signals not working!! need help Also

Hi everyone:
I have an 86 firebird that the turn signal lights don't work, they just stopped.
I replaced the relay (bought 2 so I have a spare) and checked all the fuses, Hazard lights work, brake lights work, tail lights work, parking lights work. green arrows on dash don't light up. ether right or left. but work for hazards.
don't know what to do now any help would be appriciated
Thanks
Old 09-19-2024 | 04:42 PM

Car: 91 z28
Engine: 5.7 350
Axle/Gears: 3.23

I am having the exact same problem as the person above me... Turn signals do not light up on the dash for left nor right. Hazards work both flash. When the turn signals are engaged they don't work inside nor outside of the car. The high beams are also stuck on. I replaced the relay for the flashers as well as the wiring behind the steering wheel and still no turn signal. Literally every other light works besides the signals and can't switch from high beam up low beam. Could it be the actual lever that's needs replaced? The wipers still work no issues with them. Just can't switch from highs to lows nor use the left or right turn signals. Neather one illuminates inside on the dash either other than the hazards.Please someone help ...lol need to get the old girl inspected and turn signals and low beams are obviously a must. This is on a 91 Camaro.

Last edited by Draginz28; 09-19-2024 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-19-2024 | 11:21 PM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Turn signals do not light up on the dash for left nor right. Hazards work both flash. When the turn signals are engaged they don't work inside nor outside of the car.
Sounds like your flasher is bad.

​​​​​​​I replaced the relay for the flashers ...
There's no "relay" for the "flashers". Only the 2 flashers. One for the hazards, which I'm guessing is the one you replaced; and the one for the TSs which you haven't.

Not positive in your year, butt in most of these cars, the TS flasher is in the "convenience center", which is a little tray sort of thing that the OBD connector is mounted to. The one in the fuse block is the one for the hazards. Replace the right one, the right thing might then happen.

​​​​​​​can't switch from high beam up low beam. Could it be the actual lever that's needs replaced?
Probably not. More likely, the dimmer switch just needs to be adjusted. It's down low on the column, not far from where it goes through the firewall, on top; has 2 little screws that hold it to the column; adjusting consists of loosening the screws and moving the switch to be within a range where it can work. They hardly ever go bad butt quite often need adjustment.
Old 09-20-2024 | 12:16 AM

[QUOTE=sofakingdom;6543713]Sounds like your flasher is bad.

There's no "relay" for the "flashers". Only the 2 flashers. One for the hazards, which I'm guessing is the one you replaced; and the one for the TSs which you haven't.

Not positive in your year, butt in most of these cars, the TS flasher is in the "convenience center", which is a little tray sort of thing that the OBD connector is mounted to. The one in the fuse block is the one for the hazards. Replace the right one, the right thing might then happen.

I actually replaced both " flashers" the one located to the left of my steering column as well as the one to the right against the trans. Tunnel. I'll be working some more on tracking down what the issue is tomorrow with a multimeter starting at the plug under the dash in hopes to find out what the issue may be. I was just hoping someone had some insight in order to save some time. I've also tried switching the 2 "flashers" with each other to see if maybe I got one that was bad from the parts store and had the same issue where the hazards work but no turn signal and that was done after I posted the original question and why I didn't mention it previously. While I'm under the dash I'll see if I can find then adjust the dimmer switch you mentioned. One issue I didn't mention in the beginning that I probably should have was that the 91 Camaro, I have, used to be a drag car that apparently had a decent amount of wires cut and put back together before I purchased it but everything worked when I bought it and nothing was changed out wiring wise since ive owned it. It doesn't appear to have any damage to the wires coming from or too the switch I've replaced in the column either, so I figure it's a good place to start regardless. If I figure out what the problem might be tomorrow ill update this thread as well.
Old 09-20-2024 | 08:33 AM
10 Year Member

Car: 1990 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Stock

Hi Draginz28, and welcome to our world.

You say your car had some wires cut for the purpose of becoming a drag car. In that case you won't have much choice other than tracing the wires.
Well, if the hazards work, I#d go backwards from the turn signal flasher, trace the wires as far as I can.
One component within that circuit is the turn signal SWITCH, located in the steering column behind the wheel.
The lever actuates it and it's hell to replace, IMO.

Since you're also having issues with the high beam switch on the column, look at the area around that switch. Perhaps something's been cut in that area and the turn signal switch wires run down along the same area.
Be prepared to get a stiff back, though. You'll have to wriggle yourself head first under your steering wheel to see anything.
As sofakingdom has already written down, the high beam switch is held by two screws and it is actuated by a metal rod, so if you look at the switch and wriggle the lever, you'll see movement.
If not, your telescopic rod has been modded for weight reduction (removed).
Else, loosen screws, move switch closer to rod, retighten screws.
Slide the switch closer.
Old 09-20-2024 | 08:50 AM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

Amazing what filling in some of the blanks can allow us to know. It can make the difference between "Internet! Fix my car for me NOW!" and "where do I start reconstructing my car after it's been gutted?"

NCC's suggestions are good. Nobody out here is going to be able to just tell you what parts the PO damaged, took out, rearranged, etc. YOU have to do that YOURSELF. One thing I'd disagree with though, is about the TS sw being difficult to replace. It's really quite simple IMO. Easiest if you take the column out, which only takes about 2 minuntes if you're slow like me; you're smarter though, after all everybody is, so you can probably do it faster. 2 nuts, 3 screws, and the bolt/nut thing that holds the shaft onto it under the hood. Also easiest to deal with the dimmer sw with the column sitting on the floor instead of trying to do it by feel with everything else all in the way.

Since it's been a drag car the air bags are probably gone too, and it has a non-stock steering wheel, all of which should reduce the headache of restoring whatever the PO trashed.
Old 09-20-2024 | 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Amazing what filling in some of the blanks can allow us to know. It can make the difference between "Internet! Fix my car for me NOW!" and "where do I start reconstructing my car after it's been gutted?"

NCC's suggestions are good. Nobody out here is going to be able to just tell you what parts the PO damaged, took out, rearranged, etc. YOU have to do that YOURSELF. One thing I'd disagree with though, is about the TS sw being difficult to replace. It's really quite simple IMO. Easiest if you take the column out, which only takes about 2 minuntes if you're slow like me; you're smarter though, after all everybody is, so you can probably do it faster. 2 nuts, 3 screws, and the bolt/nut thing that holds the shaft onto it under the hood. Also easiest to deal with the dimmer sw with the column sitting on the floor instead of trying to do it by feel with everything else all in the way.

Since it's been a drag car the air bags are probably gone too, and it has a non-stock steering wheel, all of which should reduce the headache of restoring whatever the PO trashed.
Thank all of you for the input and knowledge... sofakingdom I definitely wouldn't say in smarter ... I was a marine after all ..lmao also not quite the easiest to take the column and such for me as I've also only have one hand these days as the other was ripped off in a work accident, But tracing the wires was definitely the way to go. I found a few that were barely together and a few nowhere even close which must have been knocked around by the old lady when she was driving it .( that's when the signals stopped working) What was weird though is after I found and fixed the wires the turn signals on the inside started flashing again but not the outside. When the problem had first happened I thought first that maybe it was just a bulb so I replaced all of them with LEDs. Apparently that was a mistake on my part because after getting the signals to work inside I kept tracing all the way to the plug and swapped the new LEDs for new filament bulbs or the old style and then they started flashing on the outside. Apparently this car doesn't like any of the new improved stuff and got mad about it and when I replaced with the old school bulbs everything now works as it should including the highs and lows( I adjusted the dimmer switch). So thank you everyone that has gave me insights and also passed on their knowledge. I finally got it all squared away and just finished off the inspection. Again thank you to everyone that's commented I truly do appreciate it!
The following users liked this post:
OrangeBird (09-20-2024)
Old 09-20-2024 | 05:55 PM
10 Year Member

Car: 1990 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Stock

You're welcome. Glad to help.

The reason the LEDs won't work properly is because the flasher needs some resistance, which usually comes from a bulb's filament.
Also, the side marker turn signals switch polarity once your lights are turned on and LEDs cannot deal with that as they only let current through in one direction.

Also, sofakingdom:
Yes, getting to the turn signal switch isn't a big issue, but I had a really bad time fiddling the wires out through the column and the new one in.
Lots of sharp edges in there and not much space for the connector to fit through.
But that's just me taking the hard road
Old 09-20-2024 | 06:26 PM
Supreme Member
10 Year Member

Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by NCC-2569
You're welcome. Glad to help.

The reason the LEDs won't work properly is because the flasher needs some resistance, which usually comes from a bulb's filament.
Also, the side marker turn signals switch polarity once your lights are turned on and LEDs cannot deal with that as they only let current through in one direction.

Also, sofakingdom:
Yes, getting to the turn signal switch isn't a big issue, but I had a really bad time fiddling the wires out through the column and the new one in.
Lots of sharp edges in there and not much space for the connector to fit through.
But that's just me taking the hard road
Call me crazy, cause I know the plastic connector CAN be fished through the column, , but, ,

I always found it much easier to unpin the connector, tie a stiff piece of small gauge wire around the wires/pins (without the plastic connector present) and then it's a breeze to fish that through the column and repin the connector once the new switch with it's wires are in place. Once one becomes familiar with the unpinning it takes literally seconds to do, (I'm an electronics hobbyist and regularly deal with all kinds of connectors) and it makes a PIA job much easier. Of course, taking a cellphone pic of the connector BEFORE unpinning it is a must for getting the wire's pins back where they belong in the connector, and taking that pic is part of the "it takes literally seconds to do" estimate.

Now I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me how wrong I am, , , , butt, , it's worked very well for me on the several I've done VS dealing with; "having a really bad time fiddling the wires out through the column and the new one in.
Lots of sharp edges in there and not much space for the connector to fit through."
The following 2 users liked this post by OrangeBird:
NCC-2569 (09-23-2024), T.L. (09-20-2024)
Old 09-20-2024 | 07:37 PM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

not quite the easiest to take the column
You're only saying that because you haven't tried it.

Hoo rah! Just jump in there and DO IT. You'll look back on it and be embarrassed at how intimidated you were before you actually DID IT. Like those obstacle courses and whatnot.

I'm an electronics hobbyist and regularly deal with all kinds of connectors
In the interest of full disclosure, I am NOT an electronics hobbyist. I am a professional in that area. I was a math & physics major in the early 70s, which seemed like A Good Idea at the time, butt then I encountered the REAL job market... only to discover that the primary employer of idiots like me, the Apollo program, was winding down. So NOT ONLY were there no new jobs opening up for n00bz like me, BUTT ALSO, that whole project was dumping THOUSANDS of people onto the market, with my exact training, except they also had EXPERIENCE, which I DIDN'T. I was most seriously FORNICATED. So, ... I went to work as an electronics tech in the test eqpt business, and eventually became an engineer in the telephone industry. When that imploded in 1983 (AT&T breakup) I had to make a career decision: [weighing motions] [right hand] life of crime, [left hand] broadcasting, [repeated weighing motions looking back and forth], I screwed up and went into broadcasting. Having already been a DJ at one of those bring-your-own-records type stations, where I brought and played the ACIDEST acid rock I could get my hands on, butt REALLY being an engineer, I did that for ... too long. Worked my way up over the next 20 - 25 yrs to the chief engr of an AM/FM/TV group. Got tired of 24/365 transmitter call and looked for a way out. Got turfed from a broadcast eqpt mfr in 2007 when the consolidation / digital TV wave peaked and all the money went away. Then worked as a development engr for a medical industry firm. So, I guess you can say, I have no marketable skillz. Never have had any. Just another dumba$$.

Butt however all that may be, I can take the steering column out of one of these cars in under 5 minutes, stopping for cold adult beverages as they become available. Probably under 2 minutes if I was under pressure and racing somebody. It's JUST NOT THAT HARD once you discover how EEEEEEEZZZZZZZY it really izzzz. And how much eeeeeeeezzzzzzzzyer it makes everything else.
Old 09-20-2024 | 08:09 PM
Supreme Member
25 Year Member

Car: '83 Firebird (T/A Clone)
Engine: 350 carbed with L-69 components
Transmission: 700R-4 w/2000 RPM stall converter
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt/3.73 ..

I replaced my turn signal switch without removing the column. It's a hassle but not rocket surgery. I like the suggestions that OrangeBird offered...
The following 2 users liked this post by T.L.:
OrangeBird (09-21-2024), vorteciroc (09-20-2024)
Old 09-20-2024 | 09:00 PM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

Car: Resto-Mod 1987 IROC-Z Clone
Engine: Alky fed L92 Vortec Twin-Turbo 6.8L
Transmission: My own built/ design 4L80M
Axle/Gears: Custom 12 bolt (4.10:1)

Originally Posted by T.L.
I replaced my turn signal switch without removing the column. It's a hassle but not rocket surgery. I like the suggestions that OrangeBird offered...
LOL!
"Rocket Surgery"
The following users liked this post:
OrangeBird (09-21-2024)
Old 09-21-2024 | 07:39 AM
Supreme Member
10 Year Member

Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
....In the interest of full disclosure, I am NOT an electronics hobbyist. I am a professional in that area.....
I always considered myself a "hobbyist" cause my bread & butter was being an FAA licensed A&P mechanic. My primary hobby interest is vintage vacuum tube radios from the 1920s through the 1940s.

Built a few "Griefkits" (Heathkits) along the way, up to and including their 19" color TV.

I'll bet everyone here has the skills to do it either way, remove the column or unpin the connector, either way, it's always nice to have options when doing any repair.

Oh, and, nothing I ever laid hands on crashed, , , , so, I consider my career as having been successful