Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Chronicles of a 9 Second Trans Am... Final Chapter

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 03:27 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23
Re: Chronicles of a 9 Second Trans Am... Final Chapter

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
Had a bad experience years back with that, something went missing from the yard. Now I just cut it all myself. It's freezing out today, but we're getting better weather over the weekend. I have to weld the fitting to the blockoff plate at least, so freaking lazy to do it when I get home. Haven't touched the EBL-P4 since putting the turbo back on, and I need to get in there and start tuning. No point doing any tuning of course with the intake not hooked up to the turbo yet. Engine is way too rich down low, I noticed it spitting a little where the downpipe couples to the exhaust housing, but no fuel in the oil pan. I don't even want to run it for five seconds anymore without tuning it, so I'm taking it easy on the videos until it's ready to make a decent street pull. E-Town is out of the question at this point because they killed the dragstrip, and I hate driving to Atco Raceway, so I might just bring it to Ida's Performance for a few dyno pulls and have my fun over there because they're actually closer to me than E-Town, literally ten minutes away...

Get that tranny situation of yours fixed!

- Rob
I'm like 20 minutes from New England Dragway (Epping, NH) so that is where I go.

I have to replace the roof on my race car trailer first. I have about 2 months to figure out how to lift a 21 foot x 10 foot roll of aluminum up in the air and roll it out onto the trailer....

Then I'll see if the trans is pooched or just fluid low. Only has like fifteen miles on it. wtf.

If the trans is pooched, I'll put a 4L60E in it. My C4 is the bomb with that trans, I'd love one in the Firebird. Plus with the programmable shift points it will be easy at the track.

-- Joe
Old 02-08-2018, 07:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 178 Likes on 155 Posts

I'm really curious to see what you trap Joe. I already have an idea what Justin will be trapping, but curious to see what yours will trap. Steve too now that his domain is above 5000-RPM. That other supercharger you had would have sucked the front end right off of the frame lol, but the current one seems more streetable. Wish you'd experiment with the wastegate on cold side concept, and pulley it up. Would be the first on here, and we need some more experimentation in third gen land lol...

- Rob
Old 02-09-2018, 08:52 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

I'm really curious to see what you trap Joe. I already have an idea what Justin will be trapping, but curious to see what yours will trap. Steve too now that his domain is above 5000-RPM. That other supercharger you had would have sucked the front end right off of the frame lol, but the current one seems more streetable. Wish you'd experiment with the wastegate on cold side concept, and pulley it up. Would be the first on here, and we need some more experimentation in third gen land lol...

- Rob
I'm kinda worried about the crank coming out of the block. 2 bolt main 400, factory caps. The rotating assembly is probably good for 1,000 hp. The block not so much..

We shall see though. I gotta put a winch in my trailer, in the event that I need to drag it in lol. I have a winch on my other (open) trailer, but I'd prefer to use the enclosed to keep the car out of the weather.

-- Joe
Old 02-09-2018, 09:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 372 Likes on 301 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

- Rob
Lol i have no idea, as i have no idea how heavy my car will become with this new setup
Old 02-09-2018, 09:33 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by anesthes
I'm like 20 minutes from New England Dragway (Epping, NH) so that is where I go.

I have to replace the roof on my race car trailer first. I have about 2 months to figure out how to lift a 21 foot x 10 foot roll of aluminum up in the air and roll it out onto the trailer....

Then I'll see if the trans is pooched or just fluid low. Only has like fifteen miles on it. wtf.

If the trans is pooched, I'll put a 4L60E in it. My C4 is the bomb with that trans, I'd love one in the Firebird. Plus with the programmable shift points it will be easy at the track.

-- Joe
Bring your safety gear
Old 02-09-2018, 09:37 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ
Bring your safety gear
11.49 or go home. No cage, or any of that. I figure with street tires I'll never go faster than 11.49 anyway, no mater how much power it makes.

I think the only thing I need to do is swap to screw-in valve stems.

P.s, if you have an enclosed race-car trailer, and you live in snow country, shovel it off regularly....

-- Joe
Old 02-09-2018, 09:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 86' IROC
Engine: Supercharged 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45

Joe you got a sealed battery box mounted in the rear? Also as of last year your gonna need a fire jacket for aftermarket forced induction. If you go up, lmk, im about a hour and a half out.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:54 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by 86CamaroDan
Joe you got a sealed battery box mounted in the rear? Also as of last year your gonna need a fire jacket for aftermarket forced induction. If you go up, lmk, im about a hour and a half out.
Fire jacket? I didn't see that in the rule book.

http://promod.nhra.com/userfiles/fil...en.%20Regs.pdf

My battery is in the engine bay. Moving it is a PITA.

I'm gonna try to make it up Friday's this year.

-- Joe
Old 02-09-2018, 10:12 AM

http://www.newenglanddragway.com/wp-...ights-Info.pdf

"Fire Jacket meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/1 mandatory for cars running 10.00 (*6.40) to 13.99 (*8.59) with non-OEM
supercharged, non-OEM turbocharged, or nitrous-equipped cars with an OEM or .024-inch steel firewall."
Old 02-09-2018, 10:36 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

http://www.newenglanddragway.com/wp-...ights-Info.pdf

"Fire Jacket meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/1 mandatory for cars running 10.00 (*6.40) to 13.99 (*8.59) with non-OEM
supercharged, non-OEM turbocharged, or nitrous-equipped cars with an OEM or .024-inch steel firewall."
That's been in the rule book since 2006, and was always interpreted as open body cars ?

-- Joe
Old 02-09-2018, 10:37 AM
Supreme Member

Lol i have no idea, as i have no idea how heavy my car will become with this new setup.
It's gonna be sick. It would almost have to be 180's, and that's an understatement...

If you go up, lmk, im about a hour and a half out...
Get him on video lol...!!!!

Seriously though, maybe a walk around showing what he did to the car. Then the actual run...

I think Steve should have his eyes set on the TRC event down in Florida for this coming March. I mean this is just a small sample of what he might see down there, but when Real Street shows up, then it's game over. He should go down there and represent either way once he is all sorted out...

- Rob

Old 02-09-2018, 10:59 AM

That's been in the rule book since 2006, and was always interpreted as open body cars ?

-- Joe
Thats intresting. I called last year and asked if i needed one for a test and tune and they said yes for a street car.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:17 AM
Supreme Member

-- Joe
Surprisingly enough back in the day before change in ownership of my track, i got yelled at for not having a fire jacket with my nitrous 383.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:26 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Surprisingly enough back in the day before change in ownership of my track, i got yelled at for not having a fire jacket with my nitrous 383.
So dumb..

http://forums.corral.net/forums/drag...dder-cars.html

The rule has been on the book forever. Maybe it's suddenly being enforced.

So it's 85 degrees out and I have to wear a jacket? wtf.

Maybe I should stick with boats.

-- Joe
Old 02-09-2018, 11:52 AM
Supreme Member

So dumb..

http://forums.corral.net/forums/drag...dder-cars.html

The rule has been on the book forever. Maybe it's suddenly being enforced.

So it's 85 degrees out and I have to wear a jacket? wtf.

Maybe I should stick with boats.

-- Joe
Its just a thin fabric. Wasnt that bad
Old 02-10-2018, 09:01 AM
Supreme Member

Looking for an area to mount the go pro, or rather, the "action cam" lol. Thing came with two types of mounts; a bicycle mount, and a helmet mount. Well, I don't have a roll bar in there yet to emulate a bicycle frame, and hellz no am I driving around with a freaking helmet on my head lmao. If there are universal suction cups specific to this thing I'll buy one for the rear hatch facing forward though, but haven't even looked yet. Thought about removing the headliner too and just wrapping the strip around and through one of the access holes while facing the camera forward, but I foresee problems with it bouncing all over the place effecting audio. Either way looking forward to some better video footage as opposed to holding onto the cam while driving. Still laughing at the helmet concept, too freaking funny. Had me thinking about Peter Griffin when he wore the helmet and arm floats because they thought he was a hazard lmao...

- Rob
Attached Thumbnails Chronicles of a 9 Second Trans Am... Final Chapter-img_1302.jpg   Chronicles of a 9 Second Trans Am... Final Chapter-4206-family-guy-petarded  
Old 02-11-2018, 02:31 PM
Supreme Member

Update, sorry for the audio, iphone was picking up the cars passing by along with the rain...

Old 02-12-2018, 07:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 281 Likes on 219 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 406 on N20 w/ EFI
Transmission: P.B. 700R4
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt w/ 3.91

get a suction cup mount setup, you can put it on the inside of the windshield or on the outside of the "flat" body panels. I use mine a lot at speed and the camera stays put. I do have a problem with wind noise drowning out the engine/exhaust noise though

as for the fire jacket. yes. I was told 2 years ago by my local track (Island Dragway in New Jersey) that having nitrous automatically means that you must wear the fire jacket. its not a full blown fire suit type jacket, so it is not hot and heavy. I also just wear jeans and that covers it
Old 02-12-2018, 07:56 AM
Supreme Member

See, now that's what I'm talking about. Was up late last night cutting and sanding, and pounding this donor hood into submission (hehe), when I reached out to a fellow New Yorker who used to run an '89 Formy on the board. Lost track of Eric awhile back, but somehow I ran across his old video of his Formula on youtube while playing from my playlist, but he has a new UserID. Hmm, needed to investigate. Checked out his vids and noticed he very recently nabbed a newer C7 he's playing around with, blown no less. After some small talk, asked if he wanted to roll when I'm back on the road, and he said yeah. No hesitation whatsoever. Oh hellz yeah, I'm loving it.

See? He's not afraid of a slow 305...

- Rob

Old 02-12-2018, 08:01 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by IROCZman15
get a suction cup mount setup, you can put it on the inside of the windshield or on the outside of the "flat" body panels. I use mine a lot at speed and the camera stays put. I do have a problem with wind noise drowning out the engine/exhaust noise though

as for the fire jacket. yes. I was told 2 years ago by my local track (Island Dragway in New Jersey) that having nitrous automatically means that you must wear the fire jacket. its not a full blown fire suit type jacket, so it is not hot and heavy. I also just wear jeans and that covers it...
I came across a universal suction cup (over in Walmart no less) for twenty bucks online. That's with shipping, but the piece itself sells for nine bucks. Gonna take a ride over there one day this week and grab it. About the fire jacket, at E-town it was mandatory with a power adder of any sort. Stock turbo cars were okay, but needed a fire jacket when upgraded. This is why guys tried to blend, say, a T49 disguised as a stocker. But once they seen any four bolt flanges, time to suit up...

- Rob
Old 02-13-2018, 07:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 281 Likes on 219 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 406 on N20 w/ EFI
Transmission: P.B. 700R4
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt w/ 3.91

Definitely try to make it out to Island Dragway if you can. I expect its popularity to skyrocket now that Englishtown has closed down. good track, vintage vibe to it. metal guardrails and wood bleachers. Just go slow and easy on the main driveway into the facility... it is long and has a lot of bumps and holes along it.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:38 AM
Supreme Member

Oh definitely. Now that e-town is no more, lots of sanctioning body's that were putting races together are now contemplating their next move. With or without them though I'm definitely down for Island Dragway. This car is getting done the way I originally intended it to, no more effing around. Some of you guys have been waiting for me to do this, but nobody more than myself, and I'm sorry about that. It's getting done this time around, no doubt about it, and I'm racing every single one of you lmao. Especially Justin, but he needs to give me about a mile head start lol...

- Rob

Old 02-13-2018, 09:49 AM
Supreme Member

I should just buy a 2JZ Supra and be done with it already.

Anyways, no loss in structural integrity whatsoever, but I am still going to brace it before cutting the other side, which is getting done as I write this. Wanted to point out that the structure in the triangle (middle one, and if I really needed to point that out than God help us lol), but anyways it will be completely open, so I still have to cut all of that out. The outer square is keeping the main part of the skeleton on the left side of it, otherwise the hood will fold like a wet noodle, trust me on this, as the first one I did years back I had to do a whole lot of welding to fix it. But the right side in the square is getting cut out. Perfect spot too, as it's right above where the air filter will be. Just need to remember to paint the top of that structure that I am keeping in the square before I put the screen in...

- Rob
Attached Thumbnails Chronicles of a 9 Second Trans Am... Final Chapter-img_1310.jpg  
Old 02-13-2018, 11:44 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Why did E-Town close?

-- Joe
Old 02-13-2018, 07:15 PM
Supreme Member

Why did E-Town close?

-- Joe
Joe, I'm editing this response of mine. Getting political after the fact is a waste of time because the track is gone, regardless. So I'm just going to have fun with it in a metaphorical way. The track is gone because of the gay frog conspiracy... they're taking over New Jersey.

Last edited by Street Lethal; 02-14-2018 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:29 PM
Supreme Member

... any-vay, hood is almost done. I can see I'm making a mistake and falling into a "how to" thread again, so I'm just going to show you guys the byproduct when it's done. and move on.

- Rob

Last edited by Street Lethal; 02-14-2018 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:23 AM
Supreme Member

I'm home today, and the weather, allegedly, is supposed to be 65 degrees. I'm going to finish smoothing down the edges of the cuts I made in the hood and make them perfect until then because it's still 40 degrees out, and once I am happy with the finish, I will sand it and shoot it with some primer. And if the weather does in fact get that warm in terms of 65 degrees, then I'll start banging out the oil lines for the turbo that is now seen "peeking" out of the hood lol...

- Rob
Attached Thumbnails Chronicles of a 9 Second Trans Am... Final Chapter-img_1317.png   Chronicles of a 9 Second Trans Am... Final Chapter-img_1316.png  
Old 02-15-2018, 11:47 AM
Supreme Member

Threw this up for the subscribers on YT. The weather is nowhere near 65* by the way...

Last edited by Street Lethal; 02-15-2018 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Fixed link...
Old 02-16-2018, 03:00 PM
Supreme Member

Was trying to find honeycomb cut steel screens, but no luck. I do have diamond cut though, more than likely going with them. Still smoothing the cuts. Almost done w/the hood, once the screens are in paint is next. Already hit the structure under the screens Black. It's raining out by the way, might see some droplets on the paint, but it's been dry for awhile, it's fine...

Edit: Itching to throw another turbo onto it, but I'll wait.

- Rob
Attached Thumbnails Chronicles of a 9 Second Trans Am... Final Chapter-img_1323.jpg   Chronicles of a 9 Second Trans Am... Final Chapter-img_1322.jpg  

Last edited by Street Lethal; 02-16-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:53 AM
Supreme Member

One set of screens are in. Still need to remove the hood and secure the screens in to flatten them out, not to mention paint them Black along with the hood. We're getting snow again today, no big surprise to me anymore. Prolly finish the screens up today, but obviously wait for a warmer day before painting the hood and around the windshield...

- Rob
Attached Thumbnails Chronicles of a 9 Second Trans Am... Final Chapter-img_1327.png  
Old 02-17-2018, 02:28 PM
Supreme Member

Small update;

- Rob

Old 02-21-2018, 12:33 PM
Supreme Member

Having a freak of a day today, house thermostat is reading almost 80 degrees with the heat off. Gonna attack the rest of the hood today, no question. Already hit around the windshield and the sides of the hood, but today I'll bang out the top of the hood. Will wet sand and buff when all is said and done, because I need to hit the headlight covers and front bumper next, but that's later. Screens were pulled, trimmed some more, and have been sandwiched between two pieces of wood to force them to stay flat. So far so good. However the liquid weld idea was scrapped. Cousin had a point, if I need to replace them in case someone kicks up a rock on the highway, it's easier to remove them from silicone rather than liquid weld. Anyways, hood is getting done today...

- Rob
Attached Thumbnails Chronicles of a 9 Second Trans Am... Final Chapter-img_1341.png  
Old 02-21-2018, 12:42 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Having a freak of a day today, house thermostat is reading almost 80 degrees with the heat off. Gonna attack the rest of the hood today, no question. Already hit around the windshield and the sides of the hood, but today I'll bang out the top of the hood. Will wet sand and buff when all is said and done, because I need to hit the headlight covers and front bumper next, but that's later. Screens were pulled, trimmed some more, and have been sandwiched between two pieces of wood to force them to stay flat. So far so good. However the liquid weld idea was scrapped. Cousin had a point, if I need to replace them in case someone kicks up a rock on the highway, it's easier to remove them from silicone rather than liquid weld. Anyways, hood is getting done today...

- Rob
Better to actually hold them on with mechanical fasteners.

Tack weld some small posts to the hood, and then use push nuts to hold the screen in place. (posts go through the screen).

-- Joe
Old 02-21-2018, 01:04 PM
Supreme Member

Joe that is a perfect idea. Now I have to hit up Home Depot for the pieces...

- Rob
Old 02-21-2018, 02:01 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Joe that is a perfect idea. Now I have to hit up Home Depot for the pieces...

- Rob
On fiberglass hoods, snowmobiles, etc they have the posts molded in or epoxied. Same principal, push nuts to retain the screens. they use a heavy gauge screen so it doesn't look wrinkled.

-- Joe
Old 02-21-2018, 04:10 PM
Supreme Member

One side done, screen is as stretched as it will ever be. Onto the next. Out here welding with only sunglasses and no gloves because I am in a freaking rush racing the damn light. On a side note, I pulled the EBL-P4 down to wire in a different wideband in the other day that I picked up, and the freaking memcal is missing (need it for spark control). I don't even remember what I freaking did with it. Now I have to hit up Brian at Tuned Performance to see if he has an extra one lying around. I do know I can wire up an ESC from a MAF setup which will work fine, and believe it or not I have what I would need to do it, but I'm done wiring this car. Replacement memcal time. My fault, though I'm sure it will turn up after I buy its' replacement <sigh>...

- Rob
Old 02-21-2018, 08:41 PM
Supreme Member

Wait til you guys see how the hood came out. I mean I did this before, but damn this one just seemed to come out so much better than the original one I did. Couldn't see much because the light wound up beating me unfortunately, but I freaking finished it anyway in my dimly lit garage because we won't be seeing 80 degree weather for another two months, and I wasn't about to call it a night. Came out sick, I'm very happy with it. Thanks for the tip Joe! Will have pics up once the sun's back out...

... regarding the memcal that I mentioned, or the lack thereof, while I was installing the new wideband that day I removed the tablet that I had fitted to the radio pod awhile back. Not sure if some of you seen that setup I put together, it came out pretty sweet, but it's just too small for on the fly tuning. Was still using the laptop even with the tablet mounted there, and I was getting bored of the tablet. So I pulled the tablet and replaced it with a Kenwood CD/MP3 player I picked up. Sounds pretty damn good for what it is. Have a very short unlisted video for those who are curious, my cousin wanted to hear it so I recorded it with the phone, figured I'd add it to the build thread for sheets and giggles. Still need to pick up a male to male AUX line for the iphone to Kenwood MP3 for playlist listening as well as GPS navigation for those ridiculous rides to further away tracks, thanks again e-town, but I'll nab that when I grab that universal suction cup for the go pro. Anyways, got a lot done today... not major stuff, but things that I'm glad are over with. Radio obviously goes way louder, but the house was already vibrating as it was. I'm out, Goodnight fella's.

- Rob

Old 02-22-2018, 08:04 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

The EBL doesn't need a memcal though right, since you can use an ESC module? Doesn't it just take a +5 signal for knock?

-- Joe
Old 02-22-2018, 10:03 AM
Supreme Member

Yeah, I just wanted to avoid the wiring. I have three used ESC modules lying around, and I know a few vendors sell the ESC Module pig tail connector for like twenty bucks or so, but then I need to mount the ESC module somewhere, then run the four lines, two to the EBL-P4 (IGN & ESC Signal), and the other two to the Knock Sensor and Ground. Easy enough, but I'd just rather put the memcal back into the EBL and call it a day. For the life of me I can't remember what the hell I did with it...

- Rob
Old 02-22-2018, 10:14 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Yeah, I just wanted to avoid the wiring. I have three used ESC modules lying around, and I know a few vendors sell the ESC Module pig tail connector for like twenty bucks or so, but then I need to mount the ESC module somewhere, then run the four lines, two to the EBL-P4 (IGN & ESC Signal), and the other two to the Knock Sensor and Ground. Easy enough, but I'd just rather put the memcal back into the EBL and call it a day. For the life of me I can't remember what the hell I did with it...

- Rob
I have my ESC disabled, in fact I have not run one since like 2004-2005, but if you go with an external ESC you can go with an aftermarket knock module. It's better because you can get one that's tuned specifically for your engine, and can 'tune out' false knock.

The built in ESC on the memcal kinda ties you to a GM KS.

I don't really have much use for knock control. If it's detonating at the track it's probably already blown up, and I'm not gonna lug the motor up high hill in high gear on crappy gas. It's more of a fail safe for daily drivers, not hot rods.

-- Joe
Old 02-22-2018, 12:13 PM
Supreme Member

Just for the initial tuning w/the ESC, it helps me ramp my timing and gives me an idea of timing tolerance by watching it down low during cruise and throttle stabbing. I haven't touched anything in terms of tuning since putting the turbo back on, the only thing I changed in the bin was 1 Bar to 2 Bar MAP. But anyways you're right though, once it's tuned, the stock knock sensor is pretty much useless for what we're doing...

- Rob

Last edited by Street Lethal; 02-22-2018 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Removed video, gonna stay on topic...
Old 02-25-2018, 06:50 PM
Supreme Member

Hood is done, just needs wet sanding and polish. Just started on the headlight covers, passenger side is already done, drivers side I am doing as I am writing this. Then finally onto the nose, which needs to be removed so I can install the screen properly, unless I squeeze my hands through the cold air box I made. Will see. Once done then onto the fenders. Hoping to bang the whole car out this week in terms of paint. I'm happy with the way the hood came out. Once I start throwing the chrome under the hood, it will really pop. Will also be able to hear the BOV quite a ways away lol. Also need to install the wiper reservoir that I painted wrinkled Black, just waiting on the battery tray I made...

- Rob

Edit: Flickr is acting up just like Photobucket, will add a new YT video in its' place...

Last edited by Street Lethal; 02-26-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:09 AM
Supreme Member

Well, the hell with Flickr, have no time for their crap third party hosting nonsense like Photobucket. Those damn sites are flooded with ads that they make mucho dinero from, while taking five minutes just to make one damn size change to a photo because of the loading time hold up, and they still want you to pay for third party hosting. Yeah sure, right away. Anyways, I started taping around the drivers side headlight last night, but I was too tired, so I'm going to try to bang it out today, as well as the nose. Left pic was the one Flickr had up momentarily last night, right one from this morning. Once the car is in the air I'm also going to try to bang out another fuel pump block off plate return fitting for the turbo. No sun out, but weather isn't too bad to work in...

- Rob
Attached Thumbnails Chronicles of a 9 Second Trans Am... Final Chapter-img_1373.jpg   Chronicles of a 9 Second Trans Am... Final Chapter-img_1375.jpg  
Old 02-27-2018, 02:12 PM
Supreme Member

Well guys, I started to sand down the nose, and I also cut out the screen for the nose and painted both sides. The screen is in, dunno if you can tell from the pic. However, I was hoping I would be able to squeeze my arm through the cold air box that I made, but there is only a three to four inch opening between the cold air box, and the 4" Intercooler, so that ain't happening. Nose has to come off to secure the screen down the right way. Then I'll hit it with some paint. I already painted the other headlight cover though, so once the nose is done, then onto the fenders. Trying to get the paint done this week because I want to wet sand and polish the whole car in two weeks, and I want the paint to have "close" to the same dry time, give or take a few days or so...

New OEM GTA nose emblem already ordered by the way...

- Rob
Attached Thumbnails Chronicles of a 9 Second Trans Am... Final Chapter-img_1376.jpg  
Old 02-27-2018, 02:30 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Well guys, I started to sand down the nose, and I also cut out the screen for the nose and painted both sides. The screen is in, dunno if you can tell from the pic. However, I was hoping I would be able to squeeze my arm through the cold air box that I made, but there is only a three to four inch opening between the cold air box, and the 4" Intercooler, so that ain't happening. Nose has to come off to secure the screen down the right way. Then I'll hit it with some paint. I already painted the other headlight cover though, so once the nose is done, then onto the fenders. Trying to get the paint done this week because I want to wet sand and polish the whole car in two weeks, and I want the paint to have "close" to the same dry time, give or take a few days or so...

New OEM GTA nose emblem already ordered by the way...

- Rob
What are you spraying it with?

-- Joe
Old 02-27-2018, 02:51 PM
Supreme Member

What are you spraying it with?

-- Joe
It's not color code correct, it's just a universal Black. Was going to mix it with some metallic flake, but I talked myself out of it and was just going for that triple Black look. All I have left to work with is Harbor Freight tools. Should come out nice though in the end when all is said and done.

- Rob
Old 03-16-2018, 09:22 AM
Supreme Member

Giving this thread a quick update. Making a few changes, and while I do I wanted to put something to rest and get a quick dyno over at Ida's Performance. Back when I switched 305's, I posted a video of the block I was using, and I hesitated because of the cylinder walls. Something looked suspect, but I went ahead anyway. Even RBob thought something might be up with the block. Long story short, I pulled the turbo and headers for a few minor changes (really wanna go twins at this point, I found the identical turbo if you could believe it. Didn't even know they still made them). Anyways, was egged on to get it dynoed NA again by some of my local friends. Back to the long story being short, exhaust is on, I tuned the engine, runs very solid. However... I still have oil coming out of the front seal timing chain cover. A lot. The higher the RPM, the more it shoots out.

Did not do this with the turbo (obviously), so it may be the rings. Compression test tested out okay, leak down test still pending. Lost a lot of oil, yet the dipstick still reads full, so I thought maybe the tube might be too short, and the pan was overfilled. Will see that as well this weekend if that is the case, but I'm still leaning towards the rings at this point. Damn engine runs like a top though. Leaving for work soon so I can't throw up a video, but I'll have one up either tonight or tomorrow. Once the oil issue is resolved, I am bringing it to the dyno. If it's the rings, well, 305's are a dime a dozen. If I can't find a replacement engine (cuz I am not bothering with a ring swap) I'm done. Anyways, engine (older engine) has 9.0:1 compression, stock throttle body, stock runners, stock plenum and stock manifold, as well as the stock 416 heads (everything ported by me), and a Lunati custom cam. Let's get this dyno wrapped and done...

- Rob
Old 03-16-2018, 09:29 AM
Supreme Member

I got a good 91 roller block and crank and stock rods/pistons. Disassembled u can have
Old 03-18-2018, 02:47 PM
Supreme Member

I had absolutely no time this weekend to do anything. Parades, fights, spot checks, what a freaking day and night. Anyways a quick update before it's back to work. Oil leak seems to have subsided for now, but I of course need to get it on the street again. Dipstick reads a tad below full, and is happy there, for now, as the oil comes out slightly now, it no longer shoots out. Made a few changes to the SA Table this morning, and had to re-adjust the TPS because it was coming in late off of the foot pedal. Also adjusted the IAC, needed to reduce the RPM lag off idle, so I had to go back in and take care of that, as well as tune the VE a tad and pull some fuel out to bring it back to stoich, as well as get the IAC steps back down to 35. Just a quick VE Learn to get an idea of what the engine wants after the one bar MAP went back in, but the rest of the VE was done manually via the graph after this video was taken earlier. Thank you RBob! Something about that overlap though fella's, you boys with your DOHC engines will just never quite get it. Chicks dig my bumpstick lmao...

Put those headphones in and enjoy the goodness...

- Rob

Old 03-19-2018, 11:58 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

I had absolutely no time this weekend to do anything. Parades, fights, spot checks, what a freaking day and night. Anyways a quick update before it's back to work. Oil leak seems to have subsided for now, but I of course need to get it on the street again. Dipstick reads a tad below full, and is happy there, for now, as the oil comes out slightly now, it no longer shoots out. Made a few changes to the SA Table this morning, and had to re-adjust the TPS because it was coming in late off of the foot pedal. Also adjusted the IAC, needed to reduce the RPM lag off idle, so I had to go back in and take care of that, as well as tune the VE a tad and pull some fuel out to bring it back to stoich, as well as get the IAC steps back down to 35. Just a quick VE Learn to get an idea of what the engine wants after the one bar MAP went back in, but the rest of the VE was done manually via the graph after this video was taken earlier. Thank you RBob! Something about that overlap though fella's, you boys with your DOHC engines will just never quite get it. Chicks dig my bumpstick lmao...

Put those headphones in and enjoy the goodness...

- Rob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYTHIOKy8lE
Why is the map done at 100? Thought it was 2/3 bar ?

-- Joe

Quick Reply: Chronicles of a 9 Second Trans Am... Final Chapter