Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Minimum compressor needs to paint ONE car (non-show car)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 09:49 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Car: Building LS3, T56 Z28
Engine: LS3
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: Moser/ 4.11
Minimum compressor needs to paint ONE car (non-show car)

Looking to see what people are using out there when they faced the challenge of painting a single car. I don't plan to paint many, just this one, and later maybe some touch ups.

I want to know what equipment other people have used.

I have watched and read a lot online. Eastwood for example pushes the need for AT LEAST a 2 stage 60 gallon compressor with 3 stage filtration and water separation. I agree that this would be great. But what I am doing with all this nice equipment after I paint this one car?

Selling it would seem like a pain and a big loss.

I currently have a little 3HP 15 gallon unit that can push 4.9 CFM @ 40psi.
Some people say this is fine to paint with as long as I am doing one panel at a time. In my eyes this is fine as this is no show car. This will be a car I commute to work in and take to shows sometimes, not to show, but to look at other cars.

I want to invest the correct amount of money into equipment. Not so much that I have a mini body shop, but not so little that I can't actually paint my car.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s
Re: Minimum compressor needs to paint ONE car (non-show car)

Originally Posted by dennisbernal91z

I currently have a little 3HP 15 gallon unit that can push 4.9 CFM @ 40psi.
Some people say this is fine to paint with as long as I am doing one panel at a time. In my eyes this is fine as this is no show car.
I used a 20 gallon "5hp" 110V compressor. Put a regulator at the tank and another before the gun. I also used an inline filter that I changed out every few days. I didn't invest in a water separator since average humidity is 15%. I had no problems as long as I separated the parts into equal square footage. My practice was to only spray enough area that my compressor would be able to spray one whole coat before having to kick on. That will help keep moisture created by the compressor at bay. Although the colder the air temp is and the more often the compressor is on will require a water air separator.

If you can find a used compressor that's the way to go. With Black Friday approaching you could start visiting the black friday add sites to see if lowes/home depot/Ace is going to have a good deal on a compressor.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:41 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Hey Tibo - I don't mind investing in a water/air separator. Eastwood tech line said to use a Devilbiss QC3 for $180. They said this would clean up the air very well.

If I can keep my compressor (small 15 gallon Craftsman) lines and all and just buy the QC3, that is good news to me.

I was thinking I can store the compressor in my basement and hard line it to the garage with some PEX line at least as big as the outlet on the compressor tank. Then have the QC3 in the garage right before the flex hose that runs to the gun. The gun will have a throw away filter on it and I would be good to go. This should help with noise as well. I figure I can run my dehumidifier on high for a day before I paint, that way the air down there is as dry as possible.

If I could buy an expansion tank at a reasonable price I would, but I can't seem to find one that makes sense.

Only other option I see is sell the compressor and buy a 30 gallon from Home Depot for $400. That supplies a bit more air, but at least it has double the tank that my current unit has.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

Any pressure vessel would work for an expansion tank. Every so often I find an air compressor on craigslist for dirt cheap because the motor went out. You could definitely put the compressor in a basement and just run a hard line. My dad has a monster air compressor that he made a hard line for out of regular pipe. It works great and allows you to put the compressor anywhere and have the soft line begin wherever you want it.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:00 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Hey Tibo - Just a quick update. I went with a Harbor Freight 120V 29 gallon unit. I have this in addition to my little 15 gallon Craftsman. They are plumbed in parallel. Both supplying 90 psi to the copper line, that then turns into PEX. It then Tees off and goes to a water trap style filter, followed by the QC3 dryer (DeVilbiss). This feeds into 25' reel. The other T has a mini water separator and then simple flex line for spraying or sanding.

System works great so far. I can DA sand all day long and the compressors jump on as needed. Never run out of air. I sand blasted over the weekend for hours with no issue.

I also sprayed epoxy primer with an automotive spray gun. First time using either thing. Came out great so far. I will continue my updates on my other "Build" thread. Thanks for your advice.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 749 Posts

Model # on the HF compressor? Curious.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans am GTA
Engine: 5.7 liter
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

you didn't happen to check sears did you? I was able to get a 60 gallon for $350
Old 11-07-2017, 03:45 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

The image below is all I got from a search on Sears.com.
Amazing find on your part. Don't think that deal is something we could all get every day.

Harbor freight unit is #61489. I have this tied in with a small oil-less Craftsman.

HF produces 5.9CFM @ 90psi
CM produces 4.9CFM @90psi.

Both running I am at 10.8 CFM @ 90psi. More than enough for what I need and since I already had the old Craftsman the upgrade cost me $350, plus a good extension cord and some copper pipe. I have them next to each other but on separate circuits.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:38 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, LT1
Transmission: TKX, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.23

Hey Tibo - Just a quick update. I went with a Harbor Freight 120V 29 gallon unit. I have this in addition to my little 15 gallon Craftsman. They are plumbed in parallel. Both supplying 90 psi to the copper line, that then turns into PEX. It then Tees off and goes to a water trap style filter, followed by the QC3 dryer (DeVilbiss). This feeds into 25' reel. The other T has a mini water separator and then simple flex line for spraying or sanding.

System works great so far. I can DA sand all day long and the compressors jump on as needed. Never run out of air. I sand blasted over the weekend for hours with no issue.

I also sprayed epoxy primer with an automotive spray gun. First time using either thing. Came out great so far. I will continue my updates on my other "Build" thread. Thanks for your advice.
I have an inline separator at the compressor, and I use the little red disposable ones at the gun.

I shot a hood about an hour ago and noticed a couple little spots. I thought it was solvent pops at first, but I think it's blowby (oil) getting in the lines.. Can't win.

When I build the new shop, I'm gonna put a booth in and I'll invest good money on an actual dryer/filter. I'm sick of spending 20-30k restoring cars and having defects in the paint.. (water, oil, dust)

-- Joe
Old 12-08-2017, 07:11 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: Carbed L98
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Do you have any pics of how you plumbed the compressors. I have a 33 gal Craftsman on 110v. No 220v in the garage so I am interested in adding another compressor.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:14 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Craftsman and HF plumbed together, powered on different circuits.
From basement where compressors are, got plumbed to garage. Top feed is filtered, then desicant/ filtered, then I use a disposable filter on the gun. Lower run is for general use
Old 12-12-2017, 07:57 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Craftsman and HF plumbed together, powered on different circuits.
From basement where compressors are, got plumbed to garage. Top feed is filtered, then desicant/ filtered, then I use a disposable filter on the gun. Lower run is for general use
Ok thanks for the pics. I may add a compressor to my existing one.
Had you thought about adding a shutoff valve to the top feed so no moisture is going to that filter when using the lower. Just a thought
Old 12-12-2017, 01:26 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

bluegrassz: Yes I had thought of that. Luckily the desiccant filter from Devilbis already came with a shutoff just before it.

The water filter before it doesn't have a media that gets spent, so there is no issue with the valve just after it. You can't see the valve in question well. It is tucked between the cheap and expensive filters. If you look very close you can see a bit of the red handle.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:57 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

bluegrassz: Yes I had thought of that. Luckily the desiccant filter from Devilbis already came with a shutoff just before it.

The water filter before it doesn't have a media that gets spent, so there is no issue with the valve just after it. You can't see the valve in question well. It is tucked between the cheap and expensive filters. If you look very close you can see a bit of the red handle.
Ok, didnt see it. The price of those filters can get ridiculous.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:49 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

I agree, $200 is a bit nuts, but they are supposed to be great. So far, it has provided perfectly clean and dry air.

I have read that you can replace the descant with reusable stuff on Amazon. Not cheap, but lasts forever. You would need to visually check the descant from time to time unless there is a way to replace the color change indicator without buying the DevilBiss descant. All stuff I will look into when the time comes. For now, it is still like new.