Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

passenger window won't roll completly up

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 09:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1990 Trans Am
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: 700r4
passenger window won't roll completly up

My passenger window won't roll up all the way. It goes down fine and goes up fine until it stops at 3/4 of the way up. So I think the window motor is ok but I don't know. So can anyone help I don't want rain in my car haha.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:57 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 721 Likes on 513 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: passenger window won't roll completly up

Originally Posted by Johny2234
My passenger window won't roll up all the way. It goes down fine and goes up fine until it stops at 3/4 of the way up. So I think the window motor is ok but I don't know. So can anyone help I don't want rain in my car haha.
The only possible help anyone here will be able to give you will be to tell you to take the inside door panel off and see what's keeping it from going up all the way . Something's either broken , or binding , or , , , tell me , no one has cut speakers into the doors have they ? Specifically in the areas where the door map pockets would be (if so equipped) ? If so , I have seen instances where people have cut speakers into the doors of cars and the window hitting the speaker and not going fully up or down was the usual symptom of a speaker install gone wrong due to the huge magnet most aftermarket speakers have sticking too far into the door .

I wish you luck ....
Old 08-17-2017, 08:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1990 Trans Am
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: 700r4

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
The only possible help anyone here will be able to give you will be to tell you to take the inside door panel off and see what's keeping it from going up all the way . Something's either broken , or binding , or , , , tell me , no one has cut speakers into the doors have they ? Specifically in the areas where the door map pockets would be (if so equipped) ? If so , I have seen instances where people have cut speakers into the doors of cars and the window hitting the speaker and not going fully up or down was the usual symptom of a speaker install gone wrong due to the huge magnet most aftermarket speakers have sticking too far into the door .

I wish you luck ....
no their is no speakers because I have seen it with the door panel off. Looks like I need to take a look at what the problem is. Do you think I have a real pain in the a** on my hands.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:45 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 368 Likes on 286 Posts
Car: 2016 Camaro SS + ???

Is it just stopping or does it appear to be binding? Mine was binding up. I would slowly come to a 90% stop, and creep the rest of the way. I could hear the motor struggling, so obviously I didn't keep doing this. ...for ME....turned out that I needed to adjust the triangle window trim piece. Once inside the door panel, I just kept playing with adjustments until it was smooth, and it sealed properly. Only took 3 or 4 tries to get it right. Maybe 20 minutes. There ARE other adjustments too, but I could see it binding on that piece, so that's where I focused my attention. You may have other issues, HOWEVER.....I think it's that triangle. About 3/4 of the way up is where the bottom front "corner" of the glass contacts that part of the guide. If out of alignment, it'll bind there. So my guess is adjust that triangle.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:52 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 368 Likes on 286 Posts
Car: 2016 Camaro SS + ???

These are the 3 screws to adjust. Just loosen 'em and you'll see how the effect the adjustment. It's obvious once you start playin' with it.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:39 AM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 HO
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

My 4th gen window motor would roll down fine but only go up 3/4. Sometimes I could turn off key and back on then it would move up some more. Replaced motor and works fine.