Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Need help painting these plastic seatbelt covers!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help painting these plastic seatbelt covers!

I'm really having a hard time with these and I don't know why. The whole interior is done and painted and I basically repainted everything from all trim pieces to the whole dash, and console.

The problem I'm having is that the paint keeps on scratching off the covers every time I paint them..... I've painted the whole interior like I said and nothin ever scratched off...

If your wondering I first was everything in a moxture of tsp and a little dawn dish soap. Then I will dry it and wipe it down with some sem solvent. After that two Mist coats of a adhesion promoter. Then I paint it with my sem 15173 camel paint.

Here's a little bit of how it come so far from the beginning. I so much rather the jet black dash then what it was.

And here's some of the camel interior pieces that were painted.

And here's the piece. That's just a little spot where it comes right off. If I were to take my fingernail and go lightly across the surface it would leave a long mark. This has dried for 3days btw
Old 05-10-2017, 09:15 PM

Car: 86 Iroc Z-28
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: Automatic
Re: Need help painting these plastic seatbelt covers!

When I did mine I sanded all the trim with 320/ 220 sandpaper, cleaned with soap and water, used some prep spray, adhesion promoter then paint. Everything seems to have held together pretty well.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:24 PM

Yea the only thing I didn't do for my plastics was sand them down. The whole interior came out good. You can't scratch the paint off or anything and it looks really good. I have no clue why these seat belts covers are giving me problems. Idk if it has to do with the fact that they are new or what.
I even bought new seat belt holders that go in the top headliner and they were grey and came out perfect.... maybe
I'll probably give sanding them a try.. if that doesn't work I have no clue....
Old 05-10-2017, 09:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

If you sand them, careful to not take the texture off... Id use scotch bright or something instead of paper....
Old 05-10-2017, 09:49 PM

Yea I know I was worried about that too but I seriously exhausted all my options... when I wash them in my cleaner I use a scotch bright to scrub them. I even sand them down with 1500 grit paper.. I'm hoping when I try some more coarse sandpaper it'll help..
Old 05-12-2017, 10:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1982 Recaro TA, 1989 TTA#948

You need to use an adhesion promoter. You are going to have to get that paint off, clean the piece really good and shoot it with a product like Bulldog adhesion promoter prior to painting it.
Stripping the old stuff off might be tricky. I usually use brake fluid to strip plastics, but I am not sure iff you have a seatbelt attached to that piece that would get ruined.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:11 PM

Car: 89 GTA Trans Am
Engine: 5.7L L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Factory 10 bolt with Stock Gears

I plan on doing something similar to this with my GTA except I'm painting everything black.