Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

NEED HELP with painting!!!! *Interior*

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEED HELP with painting!!!! *Interior*

Hi I've been trying to turn my dash to completely black in my gta but I've been running into problems and I don't know what it is!! I've painted my whole console and a few other things and it came out great!! But all of a sudden I've been getting horrible blotches it seems on my plastics. I've followed all the same steps, I just don't know why this is happening. Here's a few pictures to show. If someone could please just tell me why that's happening so I stop wasting paint that would be great! Thank you!!!

Here I painted the part where the radio and heating controls are and it's perfect!! ( if in some places it looks uneven it's just the light)

Here again same exact plastic basically and perfect!

And here's the problem..... idk what's making this happen. I've put about 8 coats of paint hoping it'd even put but never does!! I'm getting so sick of wasting paint..

Here again ( it honestly looks much worse in person....)

If you can tell it's all uneven and not a nice crisp black like the plastic I painted for the light switches

This is the only part of the whole piece that came out good.... I don't get it....

Same happening here.... this is like 6 coats and still not evening out.

Here's another piece I did before and came out perfect no ridiculous amounts of coats there.

This is perfect and I actually had the same problem with this as I'm having with my current piece but idk what I did...
Old 04-17-2017, 05:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s
Re: NEED HELP with painting!!!! *Interior*

What exactly did you use and how did you prep everything?
Old 04-17-2017, 05:37 PM

I first cleaned everything with a scotch bright in a mix of dawn soap, warm water and tsp. Then I wiped it down with some grease and wax remover from duplicolor. After that I sprayed 2 coats of adhesions to the plastics. Then waited about 10min and then I sprayed the paint. I used a duplicolor paint for plastic and vinyl. I did the same to everything idk why these are giving me so many problems...
Old 04-17-2017, 06:36 PM

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts
Car: 3 T-Tops
Engine: 327/305/305
Transmission: TH350/700R4/700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42/2:73

I've always had the best results with SEM paint, Landau Black to be specific. I just lightly mist the parts with 3-4 very light coats, 7-10 minutes in between ending with a medium coat. I don't put a lot of adhesion promoter on there, just a thorough light coat and I let that dry at least an hour. Some say you need adhesion promoter and some say you don't. I've done it both ways with good results. If the plastics are clean enough and super dry, the paint will stick to the bare plastic. The nice thing about SEM is it is flexible so if you bend the plastic some when reinstalling them such as the rear panels, rear arm rests (the softer plastics) it won't crack.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:50 PM

Hmm I really don't know because I was having very good results with this paint but all of a sudden this starts happening idk if I'm using to much tsp or if I'm not wiping it down enough with the grease and wax remover.... I just wish I knew why this was occurring....
Old 04-17-2017, 07:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

I've read that plastics can absorb some of the oil/product that people spray on them and that it has been known to creep up and ruin the paint in time. I've also had very bad experience with Dupli-color and Rustoleum spray can products as well as Dupli-color paint prep. The Dupli-color paint prep/wax/grease/oil remover after three applications still caused fish eyes on one part I painted. If I recall they switched to a soy-based product after all of this go-green public push. I've seen rustoleum and Duplicolor spray paint fish eye like crazy multiple times. I switched to another brand and the problem was gone. When I painted my plastic pieces I used real paint prep and I kept wetting it down and wiping it, never letting it dry for an hour or so before finally wiping it down.

Hate to tell you but you might end up stripping the bad pieces down and redoing them but with different products.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:07 PM

Hmm yea I've thought about that and was thinking about trying some other product.. the good thing is though that is the last dash piece I have to paint. For the rest of the plastics in the car I actually just order some of the sem 15173 camel paint for my beach wood plastics. I will probably buy a can of the prep and try to see if that will work any better. What prep do you use for your plastics??
Old 04-17-2017, 07:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts
Car: 1 Owner 1986 TA with a WS6 package
Engine: 5.0 EFI
Transmission: THM700R4
Axle/Gears: 277 Posi Speedo

I know a lot of members followed this post and had great results.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/inte...ic-carpet.html
Old 04-17-2017, 07:44 PM

Car: 1987 Firebird Formula
Engine: Carbureted - 305
Transmission: 700R4

I have had excellent luck with Sem paint. I would not use anything else. I do not use an adhesive promoter. I use 96% alcohol to clean the plastic. To do them right, you are going to have to strip the paint off with a water based stripper. I used the stripper to do the back section of my formula and did not have a problem. Again try a piece.

Louis