Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Broken Wire That Connects to AC Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017 | 02:02 PM
10 Year Member

Car: 1986 Camaro IROC Z
Engine: LB9 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Broken Wire That Connects to AC Compressor

I was looking under my hood earlier and I found this wire hanging off the side of the AC Compressor. I found where the wire connects on the compressor (in the top middle of it) but mine is broken and won't connect. What does this wire control and where does it run to (under the dash)? Here are pictures for reference.

Old 04-05-2017 | 02:15 PM

Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56 swap ongoing
Axle/Gears: 2.77 9-bolt Posi
Re: Broken Wire That Connects to AC Compressor

That wire goes to the compressor clutch, and allows the A/C compressor to run. Without it, you'll have no A/C.

If the terminal is broken at the compressor, you're going to need a new A/C clutch...and also a new terminal for the wire.

Not terribly difficult a repair, but it's going to cost you most likely a trip to a shop to have the clutch replaced, unless you've got access to the appropriate tools to change the clutch yourself....the terminal itself is available from some parts stores, I had to replace my terminal end just a few months ago, I think it cost me maybe $12.00.
Old 04-05-2017 | 02:43 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Galaxie500XL
That wire goes to the compressor clutch, and allows the A/C compressor to run. Without it, you'll have no A/C.

If the terminal is broken at the compressor, you're going to need a new A/C clutch...and also a new terminal for the wire.

Not terribly difficult a repair, but it's going to cost you most likely a trip to a shop to have the clutch replaced, unless you've got access to the appropriate tools to change the clutch yourself....the terminal itself is available from some parts stores, I had to replace my terminal end just a few months ago, I think it cost me maybe $12.00.
My AC was working up until about a week ago. The fans still turn on but no actual air. I was going to do a recharge but that's when I noticed that wire hanging.

I don't think I have the tools to change the AC clutch.

Could I try replacing the terminal at the end of the wire first and see if the clutch is still good? What would be involved in that job?

If that doesn't work I will go to a shop.
Old 04-05-2017 | 02:52 PM

It depends on whether I understood your original problem.

If only one of the two blades is present on the compressor, you're going to need a new compressor clutch. If both blades the connector plugs into are still there, all you need to do is replace the connector.
Old 04-05-2017 | 03:36 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Galaxie500XL
It depends on whether I understood your original problem.

If only one of the two blades is present on the compressor, you're going to need a new compressor clutch. If both blades the connector plugs into are still there, all you need to do is replace the connector.
Both blades are there, how do I replace the connector?

Old 04-06-2017 | 07:08 AM

I bought mine at O' Reilley auto parts. All you'll need to do is once you have the new connector, cut the old one off, and splice the new one on the existing wires. Make sure you match the colors, polarity is important.
Old 04-06-2017 | 08:22 AM
Supreme Member

Or just use a small pick to release the locking tabs on the terminals and slide them out of the shell, then slip on a new shell. Of course if the terminals are in rough shape you could replace them, but otherwise there's no good reason to cut the harness.
Old 08-06-2021 | 04:47 PM

Does which way does the connector go on? Bought a 1980 cutlass with same AC compressor. Would it stay always engaged if plugged in backwards?