Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Which of these is Fuel Pump Relay?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Which of these is Fuel Pump Relay?

So I got this car back from my friend back in April and it drove home just fine (about 5 miles). I've started it a few times since then, but it's been 2-3 months since I last started it.

Now I'm having crank no start condition. It starts running fine on starting fluid but dies immediately as soon as the starting fluid burns up, so I've pretty much narrowed it down to the fuel pump or fuel pump wiring.

I don't hear the fuel pump prime when I turn key on. I've swapped what I believe is the fuel pump relay, with another relay and still nothing. I've also tried bypassing the relay, and nothing.

My problem is that the wiring diagram in my Hayne's manual identifies 5 wires coming from fuel pump relay, but I'm not seeing the same color wires going into any of the relays on the firewall on the driver side.

Below are two pics of what I am seeing going into the relays on the firewall.

Can anyone confirm which connector is for the fuel pump relay? And also which two terminals I have to jump to properly bypass the relay?

upload gif

adult photo sharing

Last edited by iroc-v; 11-07-2016 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:34 PM

Re: Which of these is Fuel Pump Relay?

According to the wiring diagram below, I should be seeing the following wires...

Red
Orange
Tan/white
Black/white
Dark green/white

Looks like I have a blue wire instead of dark green/white.

free upload image
Old 11-12-2016, 05:17 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,893 Likes on 1,293 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56

Your picture is too close for people to get any perspective what/where that connector is located in the car. You might as well take a picture of the letter K and ask what word it could spell.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:59 AM

Here. Driver side firewall. I know where the fuel pump relay is supposed to be. I'm just wondering why the wires im seeing don't match up to the diagrams. <br/><br/>Think i figured ot out. Need new fuel pump. I'm getting power during crank at gray wire at fuel pump connector behind backseat. So i ordered new pump and removed exhaust, heat shields, and some suspension. Should have the new pump in tomorrow. Thanks for the help
Old 11-13-2016, 10:10 AM
COTM Editor

I think that is the fan relay. The fuel pump relay appears to be missing (would have been mounted just to the right of the Fan relay).
Old 11-13-2016, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
I think that is the fan relay. The fuel pump relay appears to be missing (would have been mounted just to the right of the Fan relay).
I believe the fan relays are in the front near the radiator/battery. Everything I've seen says the fuel pump relay is on driver side firewall. I just don't know why my wires aren't the right colors.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:43 AM
COTM Editor

That was the fan relay on my car but I had a single fan. Sorry, I forgot about that being different than dual fan.

The relay you are showing is mounted to a metal strip that held 3 relays in a row. On my car from left to right,

(AC relay) -- (Fan relay) -- (Fuel Pump relay)

The AC relay and Fuel Pump relay were of a different shape (rectangular). And the fuel pump relay hung from a rubber sheet rather than being screwed directly to the metal strip. That is missing from your picture. Frankly, those relays were junk and a fire hazard so no loss. I threw mine away and replaced with modern relays.

Sounds like it is time for you to get under the car and start following wires.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:31 PM

Got the car running again. The fuel pump was just completely shot. Diagnosed the electrical all the way to the gray wire at the fuel sending unit conector.

Swapped fuel pump today. Running fine now. Thanks for the help!

Here are some pics. The new fuel pump (precision part number 16030) seemed to be very different than then one I removed, but it sort of fit. Mainly it's much shorter, but still reached the rubber yellow o-ring coupler thing.

The car is now running on its own just fine.

Last edited by iroc-v; 11-13-2016 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: IROC and 65 Mustang
Engine: IROC V-8
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: posi traction

I have owned my 88 IROC Z convertible 11 years and just worked on replacing a couple relays. You should find these pic/diagrahms useful... they helped me immensely. I noted that the fuel pump relay was shaped slightly different. I does sound as if it is a fule delivery problem though. Good luck irocv.

The following users liked this post:
Bruceak04 (12-04-2021)
Old 11-23-2016, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by fivestar
I have owned my 88 IROC Z convertible 11 years and just worked on replacing a couple relays. You should find these pic/diagrahms useful... they helped me immensely. I noted that the fuel pump relay was shaped slightly different. I does sound as if it is a fule delivery problem though. Good luck irocv.
The diagram is VERY helpful! Thank you! The car is running fine now. It was the fuel pump! Thanks again
Old 11-26-2016, 06:32 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85' Firebird (Project), 92' RS
Engine: 2.8L, LS1
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Open , 10 Bolt (ukn)

I'm currently struggling through a fuel pump issue/troubleshooting. Car hadn't run in about 5 years, when I finally got the ignition switch wired up the fuel pump didn't come on. Tried triggering the pump via the ALDL, but no luck there either. I can hear a small "click" from the rear of the car, but the pump never primes.

My car is an 85, and the connectors look different than those pictured here. Colors are also similar to some threads I've read, but different than those pictured here. I have three relays on the driver's side firewall, one seems to trigger the fan...the other makes a loud click from the front (like IAC...but I'm assuming it's MAF), and the other I'd assume is the fuel pump...but I don't seem to be getting power to it.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:49 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85' Firebird (Project), 92' RS
Engine: 2.8L, LS1
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Open , 10 Bolt (ukn)

So, i worked on the car a bit. Pretty certain I'm having problems with the ECM not receiving power, in addition to the fuel pump not receiving power. I'm also not seeing any power to the relays I'd assume are the fuel pump relays. One relay on the stack has a hot wire on it at this time, but none of the other relays tested positive for 12V on any leads.

While I was sitting in the car earlier today, I was about to check the computer for codes, and accidently put 12V to the ECM ground wire. I did blow the fuse that controls interior lights, and replaced that fuse. Also checked the ECM ground on the ALDL for continuity with chassis ground and all came up well.

Additionally, I know folks have mentioned a small inline fuse near the battery which supplies power for the Fuse Pump Relay and Computer...but I can't find that fuse. My lines coming off the battery go directly to the alternator and the starter, after diving under the radiator towards the passenger side of the car. I've seen two inline fuses on the car, but both were for old alarm systems previously installed. Any help, is ALWAYS appreciated.

--------------

Edit

Found my inline fuse. I was looking behind the battery on the driver's side, but it was on the passenger side fender. And sure enough, it was blown. Replaced it, and all is right in computer world. Thanks for the help!!!

Last edited by 85f-bird; 11-27-2016 at 07:20 AM.