Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

What's happened to this axle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am
Engine: 1989 305 TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77 10 bolt
What's happened to this axle?

Hi everyone,

I've acquired a 10 bolt and I've taken out the axles to see what condition they're in. The axle bearings and wear marks on the axles themselves appear to have life left in them still. But one of the axles looks like this...

The little bumps I can chip away at with my nail - could be rust perhaps? Only a small area of the axle is affected.

I'm thinking of putting the axles back in and using them sometime later.

Opinions?
Old 05-13-2016, 08:44 PM
Supreme Member

Re: What's happened to this axle?

Those are trash. Rust has ruined them. The rust pits where the bearings run are the big problem. I'd say that the axle tubes are probably full of rust too.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:01 PM

Thanks for that biggearhead.

It's not in the photo, but the area where the bearing sits doesn't have any rust pits at all and is nice and smooth.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 1,311 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Yup, it is THE GARBAGE.

The specific place where the holes are ate into it, are where the bearings ride. Or rather ... used to ride, but can't ride any more because the axle is sodomized.

Throw it in the trash and move toward plan B. (which SHOULD NOT under any circumstances involve 26-spline axles, or either drum or Saginaw disc brakes)
Old 05-14-2016, 01:32 AM

Hopefully it's visible enough in the photo below, but I've drawn a red rectangle on a different photo I took of the axle. In the lower part of the rectangle is where the bearing has been riding, and on that part there there's no damage...

Unfortunately I will have to use what I have, which includes 26 spline axles. You'll probably slap your head into your hand when I say this, but I have 14" rims so sticking on bigger brakes isn't going to work for me and neither will spending money I don't have on bigger rims and tyres. Pretty much everything I get has to come from overseas...

I have drum brakes now. Surely going to the pre-89 disc brakes would be considered an upgrade over drum?

Any suggestions on who makes a good axle? I've read a review on Summit where someone said the axles they got (Mosier I think), didn't have a big enough hub to hold the wheel and it relied on the studs.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 680 Likes on 485 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

"What's happened to this axle?"

My guess , from the extent of that rust , is that the rear end , likely still in it's car at the time , was under water deep enough , and long enough , for water to have gotten into the breather . What did the oil look like in it ? And the rest of it ? To have that much rust on one axle the rest of it has gotta also be rusted up pretty bad too , yes ?

One final thought ; Didn't you folks have some kind of natural disaster in Christchurch a couple or few years ago ? I thought I remember an earthquake or flood or something like that being reported in the news , could this rear end have been near the disaster and been under floodwaters ?
Old 05-14-2016, 11:03 AM
Supreme Member

I've seen axle that looked like that from just sitting for years. Temperature changes cause metal to sweat and then it rusts. I've disassembled many rear ends that were under cars that had sat in someone's yard for 10 years and they were full of rust.

You can probably use that axle if you clean it up well. I would much rather use better axles, but your location probably makes it hard to come up with good parts. There is nothing wrong with using the drum brakes. For a street car they are more than good enough.

If you want a good set of axles then contact Tom's Differentials. He sells some high quality stuff. I'm not sure if he ships to where you are, but it's worth a shot.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:21 PM

Well remembered OrangeBird. Yes we did have some large earhquakes a few years (still happening to a small extent), but Biggearhead's hypothesis is probably right here. I bought the diff from out of town but still in the country and by the look of the rest of the diff it's been sitting outside in the weather for a long time.

The inside looks quite good to me, the only area of concern was the this axle and whether or not I could clean it up and reuse it. I might contact Tom's Differentials and see what he's got. To keep shipping costs down I'd probably send it by ship via L.A.

Thank you guys.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 z28
Engine: 93 LT1 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 7.625" 28 spline 3.23

If I was living on the other side of the earth from where my car was made I would not hesitate to polish that axle up and use it with new bearings and seals.