Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

TPI to Quadrajet swap definitive answer ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 10:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Formula 350
Engine: 350
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3:23
TPI to Quadrajet swap definitive answer ?

OK I'm done chasing a electrical demon in a 1989 Formula 350 TPI

I'm swapping out the TPI for a Non CC HEI and Quadrajet. I got the TCI 376700 bracket.

My main question is do I need the TBI or Carb Throttle cable? Also does the TV cable from the TPI adjust to this combo?
Old 04-30-2016, 04:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '02 T/A
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: TPI to Quadrajet swap definitive answer ?

Originally Posted by FormulasOnly

I'm swapping out the TPI for a Non CC HEI and Quadrajet. I got the TCI 376700 bracket.

My main question is do I need the TBI or Carb Throttle cable? Also does the TV cable from the TPI adjust to this combo?
Either one are about the same length. Mine was a tbi and when I swapped to carb I also got a new cable meant for carb and it was the same as the one it replaced.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, I don't know if there's any difference between the carb and TBI cables. I reused the TBI cable when I swapped to a carb in two different 3rd gens.

The factory TPI trans cable.... doubt it will work, but you could try it before you plunk down money. When I put the blower on my Malibu I got a fully adjustable one, mostly because I needed more overall length to reach WAY UP to the carb sitting on top of the blower. But it's also fully adjustable for length between the cable head and the that goes on the throttle arm. Made scienceing-out all the various lengths very easy.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Please note that most non-computer controlled QJets have a stud location that's designed for a TH350 trans, not the 700R4. It's the difference between a kickdown cable and a Throttle Valve cable. The geometry of the cable to the stud is significantly different between the two.

I could post up a pic showing the difference, if you want.

My fix when using an earlier QJet with a later mode TV-cable trans is to swap the entire primary throttle shaft (which includes the throttle arm) off a computer controlled QJet into the earlier carb. But I know my way around a QJet pretty well- many people would shy away from doing this level of carb surgery. Not sure how you'd fix that issue otherwise.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Damon
Please note that most non-computer controlled QJets have a stud location that's designed for a TH350 trans, not the 700R4. It's the difference between a kickdown cable and a Throttle Valve cable. The geometry of the cable to the stud is significantly different between the two.

My fix when using an earlier QJet with a later mode TV-cable trans is to swap the entire primary throttle shaft (which includes the throttle arm) off a computer controlled QJet into the earlier carb. But I know my way around a QJet pretty well- many people would shy away from doing this level of carb surgery. Not sure how you'd fix that issue otherwise.
I'm actually using a Edelbrock 1904 Qjet if that makes a difference....
Old 05-01-2016, 02:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

I noticed you're in SoCal. Before you get too far down the road, I have to ask:
  • Was passing biennial emissions testing a consideration?
  • If yes, how will/did you get around this?
This is something that I've often wondered about (in general). Thanks.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by paulo57509
I noticed you're in SoCal. Before you get too far down the road, I have to ask:
  • Was passing biennial emissions testing a consideration?
  • If yes, how will/did you get around this?
This is something that I've often wondered about (in general). Thanks.
The smog is a HUGE concern for me.. This car has left me on the side of the road and been sitting more than running.. I've got about $5500 into it, not to mention a couple hundred hours of my own labor and a broken ring finger.
Right now in SoCal I can get about $1k for it.
The plan is to get it going with a carb and non CC dist, then drive the ever living **** out of it until the tags/smog are due. Try to at least get my money back out of the tires.
After that I'llsell it out of state/country or turn it into a CHUMP car or give it to my nephew in Idaho. I'm not going to hack anything in the car and I'll keep all the TPI stuff safe just in case.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Formula 350
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 3.27 Posi

I could have helped you with your TPI setup. I also think you are undervaluing your car as well unless it's in horrible shape, probably by half.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:51 AM

I've data logged it...TunerPro and Moates cable, with no symptoms showing up before it dies... I've got 2 or 3 of every sensor, ECM, ICM, TPS. They're all NIB or proven from other cars.. Only thing I can guess is something in the main harness got damaged when I rebuilt the motor/trans.
I've had the car on CL for a while... Not too many people looking for a car they have to pickup with a tow truck.. Paint is OK and body is great... interior is acceptable.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Formula 350
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 3.27 Posi

I recall your thread and remember thinking it's down to the wiring now. A short, something. Could throw a harness at it for fun?

I've seen formulas sell for higher than you're asking in worse shape, maybe just bad luck of the draw with buyers right now. =/

If I had the space I'd have looked into it already tbh
Old 05-01-2016, 11:14 AM

Yeah, every time I changed something it would fire up run for 2 hours or 2 weeks then die again. It's just hit the point where its no fun, its taking up space and I've got too much invested in it. I know I can toss a carb/HEI on it and at least drive it for now.
I'm not hacking anything and I'm saving the original TPI stuff so it could theoretically go back to stock within a few hours.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 658 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulasOnly

I think you will find that the TPI cable is a different length than the TBI/carb cable. I went through this on my TPI to carb conversion. IIRC, the TPI cable has considerably more length of cable outside of the jacket. This is to accommodate the 90 degree turn it makes as it goes around the pivot on the throttle body.
And yes, it's very important that the connection point on the carb has the proper relationship to the movement of the throttle shaft. There are TV cable geometry correction brackets available for this.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:17 PM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R

Originally Posted by Damon

Do you happen if there were non-ECM TV cable compatible Q-jets in production cars and trucks?

I found the TH350-C L69 Q-jet to have the TV cable compatible bracket / stud locations.

I agree with your fix!
Old 05-13-2016, 08:24 AM

I've got the Edelbrock 1904 Qjet. I ended up using the Carter/Holley TV cable mount but I put it on backwards on the lower arm of the throttle.. That seems to be the right distance and lines up with the mount.
As soon as I can get the fuel lines and cooling hoses sorted out I'll let you know how it goes..
Old 05-13-2016, 09:40 AM