Problems / Help / Suggestions / Comments Let us know if you're having any problems with the site or board software. Post any ideas you might have for ThirdGen.Org here.

Page layout problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '91 Z28 convertible
Engine: TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 posi disc
Page layout problem

Today, I noticed a problem in the page layout.
It shows good while the page is loading but toward the end of the load, the layout changes and shrinks the borders to only a few hundred pixels.
I haven't changed anything on my computer recently, it worked yesterday but looks like this today.
I am attaching a screen shot.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Page layout problem-screenshot.gif  
Old 09-02-2009, 09:22 PM
JT
Community Administrator

Received 263 Likes on 188 Posts
Re: Page layout problem

I just viewed the same thread you did in the South Central forum with the following 3 browsers and, as you can see, I'm not seeing the issue:

FireFox

IE

Opera

Originally Posted by BigBadLou
Today, I noticed a problem in the page layout.
It shows good while the page is loading but toward the end of the load, the layout changes and shrinks the borders to only a few hundred pixels.
I haven't changed anything on my computer recently, it worked yesterday but looks like this today.
I am attaching a screen shot.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Page layout problem-tgofirefox.jpg   Page layout problem-tgoie.jpg   Page layout problem-tgoopera.jpg  
Old 09-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Supreme Member

I cleared out the cache, rebooted, checked that no strange styles are turned on in the browser but I can't find anything that can be causing this on my side. I checked about a dozen other forum websites and don't see the problem there, only TGO exhibits this behavior. I haven't seen it shrink the posts like that before and I've been a member for years. This sure is a first.

Did the default stylesheet change at all?

I am also attaching the HTML source for this thread page, hopefully it will tell you something.

Lou
Attached Files
File Type: zip
PageSource.zip (13.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-02-2009, 10:04 PM
JT
Community Administrator

What browser version are you using? I see it's Opera but not sure which version. My Opera, FireFox and IE are all showing fine - as you can see above. Makes me suspect it's an older version that may not like a recent change as my Opera is the newest version (10).

I cleared out the cache, rebooted, checked that no strange styles are turned on in the browser but I can't find anything that can be causing this on my side. I checked about a dozen other forum websites and don't see the problem there, only TGO exhibits this behavior. I haven't seen it shrink the posts like that before and I've been a member for years. This sure is a first.

Did the default stylesheet change at all?

I am also attaching the HTML source for this thread page, hopefully it will tell you something.

Lou
Old 09-03-2009, 08:24 AM
Supreme Member

I use a 9.2x version, at work and home. Same result in both places.
If you guys added a formatting feature that's supported only in the newest browsers, it will affect a lot of users because not everybody upgrades to the newest versions instantly.

If I get some time today, I'll install Opera 10 on a test machine to see whether it resolves the problem and let you know.

Lou
Old 09-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Supreme Member

Ok, tested Opera 10 and it does not have this problem.
However, it still shows advertisements on the bottom of the page stacked vertically, taking up two extra pages.

I don't believe it's a good idea to limit a webpage to be shown only in the latest browser version that came out just two days ago. But that's just my crazy personal belief.

Lou
Old 09-03-2009, 12:26 PM
JT
Community Administrator

A few things. First, you're running an outdated version of Opera as there has been numerous upgrades between your version and the newest version.

In addition, I just installed 9.6 (still rather old) and it parsed/displayed just fine as you can see:

Therefore, you are not forced to running the latest Opera as 9.6 appears to be fine (and I'm sure other versions are as well). It's usually not recommended to run outdated software on the Internet when such security risks are found and fixed pretty much non-stop.

I will say this, last I checked, Opera wasn't widely used on this site so it likely does not impact a lot of users. As you can see from the screen shots I posted above, the major browsers (I.E., FireFox) display normally and the newest Opera displays correctly. It's not always easy to make every single browser, AND all versions, display as intended. There's usually a cut-off period in any support department as to how long a product will be maintained and supported when there's X amount of newer versions/revisions.

I will also add that the change made to the template (actually a plugin) was not my doing or work, so I'm not defending myself or my work here.

Ok, tested Opera 10 and it does not have this problem.
However, it still shows advertisements on the bottom of the page stacked vertically, taking up two extra pages.

I don't believe it's a good idea to limit a webpage to be shown only in the latest browser version that came out just two days ago. But that's just my crazy personal belief.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Page layout problem-tgoopera96.jpg  
Old 09-17-2009, 09:00 AM
Supreme Member

It seems to be working correctly again. Thank you for fixing it, whoever is responsible.

I tried the new 10.0 version (as I tried the previous 9.5 version) but had to revert back to the "gool ole" 9.2x because the new versions are just plain bad. Incorrect behavior, not honoring HTML properly, it just goes against all logic. I am surprised that it was even released with such bugs. So I'm sticking with my "old" version which at least works.

Thanks
Lou