Problems / Help / Suggestions / Comments Let us know if you're having any problems with the site or board software. Post any ideas you might have for ThirdGen.Org here.

Search Not working correctly?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 06:43 PM
Banned Users

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '98 Formula, '07 SRT8 Charger, more
Engine: 370cid forged LS1'ish beast
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 bolt, 4.11's
Re: Search Not working correctly?

It's actually there, and hopefully a bit better than it used to be! You enter a number, and choose days/months/years, to choose any starting date you like.

A couple more updates have been implemented as well - more sort options, the ability to find users' posts quickly, the posts started by a user, etc. I also added in code to "roll up" multiple results from the same thread, kind of a "best of both worlds" from the old post vs thread choices.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've got a reply! \o/

Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback (Actually Brains made another release *today*)

We're trying to resist writing more code to minimize risks of breaking things ... i'm hoping you guys might be okay with our [X] [timeframe] ago basic interface. The key here is that the thing will go far back, and i do mean *far back* if you'll let it ... and still return stuff under a second. The old system was more limited as to how much data it'll sift thru, while still super slow.

Results will be sorted by post date, so with a little bit of pagination clicking, i'm thinking you'll be able to hone-in on the results you need?

You were very active on October 21st 2002

(search by user: madmax, 5 years ago, Sort by date, then from the results page, click "Last>>>" in the pagination row.)

The key here is that this new search platform is fast enough, that it doesn't really slow the system down when you paginate from the results page any number of years back.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: L98 350 TPI
Transmission: Built TH-700 R4 (Vilgilante 2800)
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt w/ PBR's

I hope this search is gonna get better it is so hard to find anything on here now. The number of redundant questions I see is funny because you cant fine anything with this newer search.

Something needs to be done becuase there is over 9 years of material on this site and its so difficult to find the simplest things.

Kevin
Old 01-23-2008, 12:42 AM
JT
Community Administrator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 267 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by gearhead0384
I hope this search is gonna get better it is so hard to find anything on here now. The number of redundant questions I see is funny because you cant fine anything with this newer search.

Something needs to be done becuase there is over 9 years of material on this site and its so difficult to find the simplest things.

Kevin
It might be difficult for the team and staff to make the current search "better" (or help the member if it's simply a user issue) if clear examples aren't provided and they're left wondering what the apparent problems are? Understand that simply saying that it is difficult to find anything is a very broad statement that lacks details. We need constructive input. Examples also help.

I'm going to lock this thread because we don't need multiple threads on the same topic. Instead, having one topic about the search will help keep things organized and easier for the team, staff and members to keep track of.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/prob...on-thread.html