Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Tech / General Engine (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/)
-   -   When does a "muscle car" stop being a muscle car? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/18915-when-does-muscle-car.html)

AFatHippo 04-24-2003 09:41 PM

sorry, i didnt read all the posts before this....so if this is what everyone else already said, my bad.

for example, 3rd gen camaros are sports cars, not muscle cars. turbo, not muscle. once the new generations of cars started in the late 70s and early 80s, the muscle car era was over. its gotta be carbed with a v8, and rear wheel drive. 2 or 4 doors, both can be. well, thats what i can think of off the top of my head anyway. wish i had a muscle car....:(

SC2camaro 04-24-2003 10:09 PM

lol

my definiton of a muscle car

muscle car - to provide brute power and torque, fitted with stylish lines that can seat 4 comfy and still go like hell:)

87- buick GN 245 hp 231 cubes any questions

buckle up cause grannies buick is gonna be ready for lift off.

so if you think that a v6 mill is not a muscle car. try out your little SBC with one :)

:hail:

85maroz28 04-25-2003 12:09 AM

Ian_F thanks I stand corrected!

Ian_F 04-25-2003 12:50 AM

Just looking out for my fellow gearheads.

Squeeks83 04-25-2003 01:51 AM

my definition

gobbs and gobbs of power
wanting to lift or to lift the front wheels off the ground on a launch
RWD
V8
great for the strait but better in the curves (thats why i life 3rd gens)
prefered a manual so you can feel the gears
Sounding mean as ****
looks mean as hell
huge rear tires
lowered
CROME, CROME and more CROME

jasonbennett 04-25-2003 06:27 PM

muscle car as defined by chevy high performance and carcraft: any american car built between 1963 and 1972. 2 door v8 rear wheel drive solid axle. 1973-74 was the absolute end of the muscle car era and began the smog car era. the new cars are high powered emission friendly street cars of the same basic layout of muscle cars. one thing to remember, when muscle cars came out, they had bias-ply polyester tires. way less traction than todays and yesterdays radial tires. most cars could smoke the tires on demand. you take the same car and put radials on them and you get almost the same traits we have with new cars today. most muscle cars were rated at gross horsepower rather than net horsepower. horsepwoer hasn't dropped any from the muscle car era, but it has grown to be more with less emissions.

SuperchargedRS 04-25-2003 06:45 PM

I totaly disagree with the 4 door thing. A muscle car is a car you use to have fun, not tote the kids around in. A 4 door car is a family car, a muscle car shouldn't be anything your mother would call responsible:) And as far as the vett not being a muscle car what about the 454 tripower???

Vader 04-25-2003 07:06 PM

I think we may have faded away from the "Tech" nature of the forum a little. Sorry, but...