Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

ATI D-1SC on a stock motor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 06:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '90 Formula 350
Engine: 383 SBC
Transmission: ProBuilt S/S 700-R4 & ACT 9" Stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.23
ATI D-1SC on a stock motor?

I'm thinking about ordering a kit. I have a stock 90 formula 350 tpi with 95k miles it runs pretty strong now. As for current mods it msd 6al box, 8.5mm wires, headers, exhaust, and a few other little odds and ends. Gonna port the tpi system and put an AFPR on too before the ATI. I'm thinking about running a D-1SC with 3 core intercooler because there only like 300 bucks more for them over the P-1SC with the 3 core IC upgrade and also I'm gonna install the superfueler setup.

I plan on hopefully running 10 lbs of boost. What's everyone think? I've read most of the articles about ATI's on the board and I've read it's a 150 hp gain on a 9 psi that seems like a pretty big jump. I wouldn't mind it to keep those pesky stangs off my back. And I want to keep up with (or whoop) this other 3rd gen IROC in town he has a cam, 355, and a pair of heads.

I eventually plan on having a forged balanced motor built with lower compression forged pistons, thus why I'm thinking about the D-1SC over the P-1SC.

I've already phoned into the ATI tech line and they told me 10 lbs is very possible on a stock motor with the extra fuel. Which I'm gonna get from the SuperFueler kit.

I've also heard the 3 core ICs raise up your engine temp a lot considering they block most of the radiator opening. Anyone give me any tips on what to do on a formula since there aren't any fog lights to remove. I've already read willie's idea about adding a smaller scoop above the IC.

I would appreciate any and all feed back. Thanks
Old 04-08-2002, 07:40 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5-speed
Where are you Maniacc? He has a D1SC on his otherwise stock (or nearly) 1988 350 IROC-Z. As for me, well my sig tells the story.
Old 04-08-2002, 07:43 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah, looking into the SuperFueler online catalog looks like a pretty sweet setup.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:51 PM
TGO Supporter

I forgot that I updated my sig a couple of days ago and removed the part about the D1SC. I also have it with three-core intercooler.

Yeah, looking into the SuperFueler online catalog looks like a pretty sweet setup.

I do not use an FMU. I use the Superfueler. If you have any specific questions about it, fire away.

Willie
Old 04-09-2002, 09:25 AM
Supreme Member

So, can you get an ATI kit cheaper if you tell them you don't need the FMU? (Since it's a bandaid and that's what the superfueler kit is for) Or are the items in the kit just suppose to be sold in a complete package? Also I was wondering How are you liking your water injection system, Willie? And How much boost do you think someone should be pushing with an intercooler before upgrading to it also? What's the price on it?

I'm also in contact with Dave at Tenacious via e-mail. He thinks 10 lbs on a stock motor might be pushing it. I do plan on installing Fuel Pressure 0-100, A/F, Boost, Trannie temp, and maybe some other gauges too. I would like to get some info from Maniacc, if possible. Has he upgraded to the 12 lbs on the stock motor yet?

Also, what kind of hp gain do you think I could get with a D-1SC pushing 10 lbs? How hard was the SuperFueler system to setup I looked through the online catalog seemed pretty straight foreward.
Old 04-09-2002, 02:34 PM
TGO Supporter

So, can you get an ATI kit cheaper if you tell them you don't need the FMU? ....Or are the items in the kit just suppose to be sold in a complete package?

It's supposed to be sold as a complete kit but Dave at Tenacious was able to get it without an FMU. No other company was able to do this.

Also I was wondering How are you liking your water injection system, Willie?

Love it.

And How much boost do you think someone should be pushing with an intercooler before upgrading to it also?

It all depends on air temperatures. This is a very lengthy topic. The short of it is I've seen drastic reduction in air temperatures with the water/alcohol. On a given run, manifold air temperatures at the start of a run is 120 degrees. Without water/alcohol, it will rise to 160+. With it, it will drop to 85 degrees. Can you imagine 14 pounds of pressure at 85 degrees? No wonder I get absolutely no knock. I've read on the Z28 board how fourth gen guys run in excess of 200 degrees air temp on non-intercooled applications with as little as 6 psig boost. Use this as a comparison. It's obvious these guys have no choice but to retard timing to avoid detonation. I on the other hand, run 35 - 36 degrees of total timing.

What's the price on it?

There was another thread a couple of weeks ago that had links to various sites that sell water injection. Do a search for it.

I'm also in contact with Dave at Tenacious via e-mail. He thinks 10 lbs on a stock motor might be pushing it.

And ATI says 12 lbs can be sustained on a stock engine.... who knows for sure....

I would like to get some info from Maniacc, if possible. Has he upgraded to the 12 lbs on the stock motor yet?

I don't think so. This summer is probably the target date.

Also, what kind of hp gain do you think I could get with a D-1SC pushing 10 lbs?

It depends on how your engine is built. With mine, I gained slightly over two seconds (to date). The general rule of thumb is one second equals 100 horsepower. So two seconds = 200 hp. Incredible, isn't it?

How hard was the SuperFueler system to setup I looked through the online catalog seemed pretty straight foreward.

The Superfueler is a stand-alone system. It's relative simple to install. The hard part is calibrating it because it has soooo many settings.

Willie

Last edited by Willie; 04-09-2002 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-09-2002, 06:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Fireturd,

Yes, i do have plans to up to 12#'s boost, sometime this spring/summer, my car is NOT a daily driver, so if it blows up, Oh well, it would be just a good reason to start building a boost friendly engine. though i'm hoping it will hold out for another couple of years, so i can get other items up to snuff, like trans, converter, wheels/tires, fuel pump, etc....

I am currently using both the FMU and a MSD boost/timing retard (6btm) to try to control the knock retard, someday i plan to upgrade to the speed pro with wide-band 02 ECM.

later
larry
Old 04-09-2002, 07:49 PM
RMK

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: modded LB9
Transmission: Pro Built 700R4
Larry,

Are you still using the stock tranny in your car?

Rob
Old 04-09-2002, 08:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
only until it gives up the ghost, under normal driving conditions, it works fine, but under hard accelleration, it won't shift from 2-3 unless you let off the throttle. mine you, that this trans has 60,000 extremely hard miles, along with the engine, but so far the engine is still running strong and not using oil, though it does need valve seals, (hazes blue smoke on start-up after sitting for a couple days).

later
larry
Old 04-09-2002, 10:38 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks for all the speedy replies guys. Yeah, I guess I'll just have to wait and see if my College MAPs come through... from what I figure I'm gonna have about 3k extra after paying for school for a year and the rest of the cash I've been saving... Ain't it great when the government buys you a supercharger?

I just got done with my trannie mods... Corvette servo, billet 50% oversized overdrive servo, .521 boost valve, 3/4 full wot upshift sleeve, and tricked out the accumulator pistons too with shafts. I got my fingers crossed I didn't pick up ATF so I can't be sure everything works...