Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

A question for those with procharger experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI under 14 psi
Transmission: aftermarket T56
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 bolt 3.08 gears
A question for those with procharger experience

I have read that the strait vaine impeller on the P1SC gives a broader boost curve and the helical impeller on the D1SC is peakier. So how big of a difference is there between the two units? I'm looking at getting a D1SC stage II setup from Tom in a couple of weeks hopefully if the union contract is settled. I'm going to put this on my stock 305tpi 5speed car and run 10 psi, unitll I can get a 350 put together that will hopefully run 300-350 hp n/a and then run 15-17 psi on that engine. With both engines I want streetability and mild manners untill I hit the throttle and this car will most likely never see the track. I'm gearing this car more towards canyon carving than a drag strip. Is the D1SC's boost curve to peaky for what I want? I'm also looking at maybe getting the F1 as an upgrade to the D1SC stage II kit if thats possible and if the helical impeller's boost curve will give me some boost down low. Please give me some opinions.

Edit:
Well I called up ATI today and they said I will have to use a helical impeller vane to get the 600 to 700 ponies out of the 350 I'm going to build. They said that the F1 is a pretty strong unit and they didn't recomend getting it because he said it may not fit in the 3rd gen f-body. That confuses me because on thier site they show the F1 as having the same physical size as the D1SC. He also said to get 10psi of boost for my 305 would be tricky and may involve a custom smaller crank pulley to underdrive it enough to produce that low of boost. That wouldn't be a problem since we have a guy at work that runs a cnc machine I'm sure he could whip up a custom crank pulley for me. Just wanted to let you guys know whats going on incase you were interested.

Last edited by YenkoZ28; 03-28-2002 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-29-2002, 07:43 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 B4C 1LE
Engine: Proaction 412, Accel singleplane
Transmission: built 700R4 w/custom converter
Axle/Gears: stock w/later 4th gen torsen pos
It all depends on who you talk to there at procharger. it is well, a new unit, and I dont believe they have tried one out yet on a 3rd gen and they are a little skiddish about just telling you it will all be fine and fit without trying it. I was supposed to be the guinney pig for that one. also I'm not sure how many of thier phone answering tech guys actually know those sizes are the same. the tech guys you talk to on the phone are not the same tech guys building the stuff but that is the same with all the blower manufacturers.
Old 03-29-2002, 08:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
...and I dont believe they have tried one out yet on a 3rd gen and they are a little skiddish about just telling you it will all be fine and fit without trying it.
You make me laugh Tom, when ATI came out with the D1sc kit for the f-body, they never trial fit any part of the kit, the blower wouldn't even bolt to the bracket!!! I've still got a bunch of different blower to bracket spacers and crank spacerss and shims from trying to get everything to fit properly. they never told me or Darren that we would be the guinea pigs, even when Willie received his kit, they still didn't trial fit that kit, they finally put a kit on one of there employees cars, and came to realize that the 12-rib set-up was a PITA!!! with the 10# pulley. that's why you can only get the 8-rib now, unless you step up to 12#'s.

I think for a while there at ATI they were using my name like a 4 letter word.

later
larry