Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Procharger help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: 350 L98
Transmission: 700R4
Procharger help

Has anyone ever use prochargers super chargers here?
I wanted to get one but the guys at TPIS said they sucked. They over heated, were hard to set up, and always needed to be tuned.
Is there any truth to this.
Lay some info on me guys.
Is it really -
Thanks
Chris
Old 02-24-2002, 05:59 PM

Dude, there are plenty of people on here running prochargers. There are many complaints on installing them, especially on firebirds (since they were designed for the intercooler/plumbing to run through the camaro body). However, most people are very happy with them. They're certainly better than those damn Paxtons.

Jon
Old 02-24-2002, 06:07 PM
Supreme Member

i ran 12psi on pump gas with my stock motor and picked up almost 20mph and just under 2 full seconds

never had any problems ....until the intank pump went...then it was

KABOOM
Old 02-24-2002, 06:09 PM

The guy from TPIS said there was alot of screwing around with them. Do they over heat like he said?
Also does it really add all the extra power?
Will it run with the set up the car came with or did you guys have to get a custom computer? Like a motec for instance?
Thanks
Chris
Old 02-24-2002, 06:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
There are quite a few of us that are running the ATI units with great results. And yes they add alot of power that can be felt in the seat of your pants. and the look good to!

later
larry
Old 02-25-2002, 08:57 AM

When I'm all done with my mods I should be running in the 12's.
Adding that procharger should really push me. Do you guys think I'll have to get a motec to run bigger injecters? Or is there away around it?
Thanks
Old 02-25-2002, 09:19 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by CHRISMAN2000
The guy from TPIS said there was alot of screwing around with them. Do they over heat like he said?
Also does it really add all the extra power?
Will it run with the set up the car came with or did you guys have to get a custom computer? Like a motec for instance?
Thanks
Chris
ANY blower kit REQUIRES both:

-knowledge of superchargers and the effects on the motor with one
-knowledge on how to tune a car with a blower

The "screwing around" as the SALESMAN put it to you is that YES any blower requires screwing around in the area of "tuning" to get it right. No blower is just a bolt in and there is your power...it takes time to set everything up right and see what the motor wants does. It took me almost 5 brands of spark plugs and consistently checking them to see how the motor was running and what worked best

The only thing that 'overheats' is the car. NOT the blower. The MAIN problem with ATI is where they mount the intercooler...it is right in front of the air dam which helps stop the air and push it up into the radiator. the intercooler placement also makes you take off the underneath radiator "scoop" which helps scoop air up to radiator.

BUT

these problems CAN be fixed. All you need is a lower thermostat, run some water wetter and water combo and NOT COOLANT WATER COMBO

also you'd need to more than likely have your fans come on much earlier.

you wont need an aftermarket computer system to run a blower.....at a certain level yes it will be required but not for your application. You *might* need some larger injectors depending on certain boost levels but that is it

i think i'm one of the few on here besides willie and PROCHARGED89Z who has knocked off the ET and gained the MPH that ATI are suppose to. Except i did it with a P600B blower and not the larger D-1 series like willie (PROCHARGED89Z also used the P600B). So i know a lot about them and what will be involved considering when i sold the blower i installed it on a GTA too, and that had different install requirements

anymore questions feel free to post or email me
Old 02-25-2002, 08:35 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 B4C 1LE
Engine: Proaction 412, Accel singleplane
Transmission: built 700R4 w/custom converter
Axle/Gears: stock w/later 4th gen torsen pos
some customers like it for jee whiz sakes, but I have never "needed" an aftermarket ECM to make massive power on massive boost levels. Its all in the FMU. I have even had to remove a few "custom chips" and install FMU's to get the power I have needed or to get the car to even run. If a car will run before the addition of the boost and with good drivability, then it will run with the boost, adding the extra fuel from an FMU or alternate source. this goes for nitrous cars too. many will disagree with me but I can provide dyno sheets from my dynojet to prove it.
Old 02-25-2002, 10:35 PM
Supreme Member

i agree with you

the stang guys were doing it for years with the incon twin kits

until you hit about 600hp.....FMU's work very well
Old 02-25-2002, 10:42 PM

You will have to tune the fuel and timing with any blower you put on a car, no matter what. The only thing you can tune on the blower is the boost.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 85 iroc,96 z28,96 Ram 2500,69RR
Engine: 383 with AFR heads.
Transmission: richmond 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 1991 w/1LE.auburn pro series.2.73's
mr b4ctom1-your gonna get in trouble-talkin like that. from somebody else, not me.haha i couldnt agree more. do you really want to **** em off -tell them that im running the *870* still with my car and i like it-im even "wasting my time" burning my own chips for it. and there is a big old honkin FMU right out there, as plain as well-you know. blower require work and a certain slow step by step process to get it functioning as if it was on your side-and not fighting with you the whole expensive part replacement trip to the po' house. 89 prochargediroc-excellent, i thought i was the only one with a bushel basket of shame-all new but black-fresh spark plugs.kept em hidden beneath my tool box-maybe i can take them out and face the music now. fun aint it? changing those mothers initially-about every hour-now its never, cool man-seeya :hail: