Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

any interest in my twin turbo "kit"? considering selling...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any interest in my twin turbo "kit"? considering selling...

well, the subject says it all... i'm strongly considering selling my twin turbo package off of my '88 GTA. i don't really have the time (or money) to mess with it any more. i was in the process of changing my intake manifold to the new Accel Pro Ram setup (from the TPIS miniram), but have not worked on the car for several months. i've sorta lost interest...

it would almost* be enough to be considered a "complete kit" for a 3rd gen f-body, or at least it would be a large portion of what you would need. it should save someone quite a bit since it's already "fitted" for a 3rd gen (little fabbing would be necessary). here is what would be included:

* 2 Garrett T04b turbochargers
* Right/Left Gale Banks turbo manifolds
* 2 Garrett/Rotomaster wastegates
* Right/Left exhaust downpipes with multiple bungs for O2 sensors
* dual exhaust, side exit, with generic turbo mufflers (i haven't used the exhaust pipes in long time. we have no emissions, so i just have the downpipes dumping behind each front tire )
* (8) 83 lb Accel/Siemens injectors, low impedance, only used for a few hours
* Autometer boost gauge
* Adjustable boost controller (mechanical), **** mounts in dash/console
* 2 very large braided oil return lines
* braided oil supply lines
* 2 Boda "turbo guards" (oil accumulators)
* 2 K&N cone air filters and flex ducting to turbos
* Miscellaneous gaskets (manifold to turbo, turbo to downpipe, etc)

i would like to get around $2500 for everything listed above. the potential buyer would have to take care of his own computer/fuel supply needs (though the injectors included will support 1000 hp), intake plumbing to the throttle body, oil return locations, etc. anyway, if anyone has any questions, feel free to post or send me an email.

Last edited by Twin Turbo 358; 02-04-2002 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-04-2002, 02:33 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2000 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
This guy is for real. I have photos of his engine on my computer at home when he still only had the mini ram on the car.

That sounds like a hell of a deal if anyone wants to jump on it.
Old 02-04-2002, 02:54 PM
Supreme Member

Now where the hell were you when i sold my blower???????/

man i gotta come up with some money FAST
Old 02-04-2002, 03:21 PM

better hurry up jimmy
Old 02-04-2002, 03:27 PM

Darn! I just bought my manifolds.. otherwise i'd buy the whole kit. ESPECIALLY for that price. BUT, if you are interested in splitting that up at all, email me

jmnierengart@students.wisc.edu

Jon
Old 02-05-2002, 08:59 AM

Some questions

How fitted is it?Did you have the car running with the system?Is the system setup and dumping into a catback,or was it moslty engine plumbing.I just sold my D1SC,but I still have my whole intercooler setup,I think I could get this to work.What are the headers made of?How tight is the fitment?I dont have ac and am now converting to manual rack.I have lots of room on either side of the engine.I would like to see the exhaust ,how it dumps behind the front tires.Some more pics if you could send them to me.I may be interested.Thanks
Old 02-05-2002, 09:35 AM

Oh yes! the car was run for a couple years before I tore it down to rebuild it for more power. In prior configuration, it had the stock TPI intake, stock replacement heads but with bigger chambers and valves, mild .440/.465 lift cam, and an all forged bottom end. It was run by the Accel DFI, and had 55# injectors and an SX fuel pump. With NO intercooler and 14 psi of boost, it made 465 rwhp & 521 ft-lbs or torque. Keep in mind this is thru a 9 inch rear, and the tuning probably could have used some help. also, this was on 93 octane (low 8.3:1 compression seemed to keep detonation away).

The exhaust setup is all custom—the downpipes lead to 2.5” exhaust pipes that turn out just in front of each rear tire. Note: I don’t have subframe connectors on the car yet so I don’t know about any clearance issues with this exhaust and the subframes (?). since we don’t have emissions, I wasn’t even using the exhaust pipes though. It’s really not that loud IMO since the turbos take away from the exhaust volume. I currently don’t have any pics of where the downpipes exit, but I could probably take some dig pics before I remove them.

The headers are really manifolds (Gale Banks)—they are iron and had been jet hot coated quite some time ago, although I sprayed aluminum high temp paint on them last year because they were looking dull. I really like the fitment of the manifolds with the exception of the fact that you have to unbolt a turbo to get a valve cover off. however, I can change all my spark plugs from the top in 15 minutes or less!

You can see pics of the engine bay from last summer when I had the miniram on it (not quite complete in these pics):

http://members.aol.com/boostedgta/88gta

or, send me an email, and I’ll send you a close up pic of the manifolds, as well as what the engine looked like when it had the TPI setup.
Old 02-05-2002, 05:50 PM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '89 Z28tt
Engine: Dart Little M Twin Turbo
Transmission: T56
Bummer, dude! I haven't really touched the Z28tt since I pulled the engine in November, but this last weeked at the Rolex 24 in Daytona got me really pumped to go racing! Too bad turbos aren't really legal in any SCCA wheel to wheel class. I'm pondering not doing the twin turbo build-up from hell, and just going with a stout NA engine. It would just be pistons and cam that would change, though Time to get crackin!!!

Andris
Old 02-06-2002, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeff
Is it still available?
I am interested.
Where are you located?
Thanx