Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.
View Poll Results: Is anyone interested in bolt on turbo systems?
Yes! Build it and I'll definitely buy one!
69.47%
Yes! But I could never afford one!
18.95%
No! I like custom fabricating my own stuff!
4.21%
No! I'd just rather buy a supercharger!
7.37%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Bolt on Turbo system

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bolt on Turbo system

Would any of you all be interested in bolt on turbo systems for 3rd and 4th Gen F-bodies? Cartech is considering building and stocking them. There are lots of vendors for the Mustang guys but not so many for the F-body crowd, as I am sure you all know far too well. What do you all think?
Old 01-21-2002, 10:13 AM

It would be great, i just dont think it will EVER happen. Garret was supposed to be fabbing a system up, what happened to them??
I've heard countless times that someone is interested in making a system... where is it
Old 01-21-2002, 11:41 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2000 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
I'd like to undertake it! lol

I talked to the guy welding my headers together and he said he'd be interested in welding up more headers.

If I had a stock 88-92 car to mock up a set for twins (those DEFENITLEY will fit better) it would almost be worth doing it for all the people interested on this board alone.

lol
Old 01-21-2002, 11:53 AM

Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Guido are you saying a welding together some headers for twin turbos?! If they're like yours and not log style then <B>yeah</B> I'm sure we will have more than enough people on this board alone to keep you busy for a long long time.
Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Old 01-21-2002, 11:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 93 240SX
Engine: LQ9
Axle/Gears: 3.54 R200 IRS
When theres a kit and the possibility of it and it will fit my LT1 i'll start getting my payment together.
Old 01-21-2002, 12:15 PM

If i lived in the areas gweed you'd have a donor car, but alas i do not
Old 01-21-2002, 12:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 93 240SX
Engine: LQ9
Axle/Gears: 3.54 R200 IRS
Guido how about a twin setup with a drivers side header similar to "Saturn5's" where the #7 pipe will go out and the DP goes between it and head, then the pass. side similar but all meet in the middle at cyl. 4 and 6 and the DP also go down between 6 and 8 , flanges for T3's, that'll be perfect
Old 01-21-2002, 01:50 PM

Haha, he can have my stock 89 T/A with the 305TBI. Now, time to get two turbos, heads, cam, DFI/prom, wastegates, intercooler.... Uh, I wish I had money...
Old 01-21-2002, 02:52 PM

if only someone would make them for our cars, that would be nice but i dont think that anyone will ever make a turbo kit for my V6 and that really sucks, maby one day.
Old 01-21-2002, 03:58 PM

How about an option, "build it & if it is "reasonable", I would STRONGLY consider it". Heck how about "build it & if it is reasonable I will sell my 2nd gen & buy a 3rd gen".

BW
Old 01-21-2002, 05:20 PM

There are soo many options for a turbo setup its hard to suit everyones needs.

For example, these headers are along the lines of what I'm looking for: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/arc...r_vette_02.jpg ...another owner might be ok with something with the restrictive banks manifolds.

One owner might want a low boost setup on a stock engine, another might want 20# of boost on a highly modified motor. Intercooling: some might want air - air, others air - water, still others might not want intercooling at all due to low boost or racing class restrictions.

A company who is developing turbo systems will have to offer several kits and be flexable on what they will include in them, from complete kits to just fabricated to headers and tubing.
Old 01-21-2002, 10:04 PM

Thanks!

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Cartech has the ability to produce and stock this stuff for around what one would pay for a centrifugal supercharger. Most likely, the kit would have fabricated headers in various sizes to accomodate various needs and would be available in coated mild steel and 321 stainless. I'm sure a twin kit could also be done as well.
Old 01-22-2002, 07:02 PM

Car: 92 camaro, 06 trailblazer ss
Engine: 5.0 tbi, 6.0 ls2
If you are able to get this to work i would buy it.
Old 01-23-2002, 11:36 PM

Car: 92 camaro, 06 trailblazer ss
Engine: 5.0 tbi, 6.0 ls2
ttt
Old 01-27-2002, 07:14 PM

Car: 1988 Formula
Engine: Twin Turbo .60/.63 305
Transmission: T-5 5 speed
Definately

If you made this setup, either a single, or dual, kit for 3rd gen f-body, i would definately be putting that puppy on my charge card tomorrow. Been waiting for the banks team to do this again, but they never did. Good luck, I'll be watching to see what happens with this.

PJ
Old 01-27-2002, 07:39 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2015 Camaro Z/28 & 2013 Super Bee
Engine: LS7 and 392 HEMI
I just put a new engine in last year and it isn't built for a turbo or superchager. But if a good reliable turbo kit were available for 3rd gens, I'd get a new shortblock built for boost, swap my heads and intake, and buy the turbo kit, credit cards be damned! If the turbo kit can be put together for the same price as a Procharger, I'm sure they'd sell plenty.
I'm not sure how much modification of the kit would be needed to make it work with C4 Vettes, but that'd be a decent market too.
Old 01-28-2002, 09:19 AM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '89 Z28tt
Engine: Dart Little M Twin Turbo
Last year around this time Tony DeQuick from Charged Air Systems started working on one that he was thinking of bringing to market. There should be some posts from him, but I haven't heard of any updates recently. The problem is that in small quantities, everything is expensive. If someone would put cash up front for 100 kits, then it would be much more reasonably priced (atleast 1/3 cheaper) than putting a few at a time together. You get someone to make exhaust and intake piping, sell that for $1500, and have the end user put the rest of it together himself. Just my thoughts.
Old 01-29-2002, 12:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
I plan to dump 3-4 grand into my turbo system alone. If someone made a bolt on kit I would definately buy it.
Old 01-29-2002, 01:15 AM

Re: Definately

Originally posted by Balael6
If you made this setup, either a single, or dual, kit for 3rd gen f-body, i would definately be putting that puppy on my charge card tomorrow. Been waiting for the banks team to do this again, but they never did. Good luck, I'll be watching to see what happens with this.

PJ
Gale Banks' website www.bankspower.com has saying they'll have a twin-turbo setup again for 'the 2001 racing season'. So...how many years after 2001 will the 2001 racing season last? I wish he'd just make the exhaust parts available, I really don't want to be forced to buy a TIG welder now. But then again, my MIG welder must be getting lonely by now.
Old 01-29-2002, 02:39 PM

Make one and i'll eventually buy it.
Old 01-30-2002, 06:31 PM
Banned

Actually you'll get get better spool response from the big single. And I have a good way to route the pipes under the front end to even include a intercooler. I am in the process of starting the buildup of a turbo 4.3 and came accross an old book with some VERY interesting pictures in it.
Old 01-31-2002, 01:09 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts
Car: 240sx
Engine: whatever works
Transmission: 4l80e this year
Axle/Gears: 3.512
I know a place in Florida about 200 miles from me that will "Turbo Charge Any Car... Starting at $5000.00" The owner of the place started the buissiness last year and has more work and demand than he can keep up with. He used to manage "Horsepower Sales" and started his own place. I talked to him recently, about turbos and just generally about turbocharging my 355 or whats the deal about all of it. Generally, he recommends twin turbos on V8's because they hold alot more potential for power than 4 or 6 cylinders (he recommends a single BIG turbo for the 4's and 6's for the most gains, but on V8's he sees nearly half again the power with TWINS) and nearly next to no Turbo lag on a midified small block. The expensive part isnt the turbos however, its all the accessories you need. $800 for 2 good blow off valves, he recommends 2 boost controls $1000, of course two HUGE intercoolers, $2200.00, and we havnt gotten to the Turbos yet. Theres good demand for the T3/T4 Hybrid custom turbos, he doesnt make those of course, just all the fabrication to hook them up. Alot of the work he does is show quality, especially on the American cars where turbos are still rare. Im thinking of taking my beasty to him.....
Old 02-01-2002, 12:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
The idea of using two smaller turbos, as opposed to one big one is the smaller turbo will spool up faster than a larger one. Less mass to accelerate. (physics, don'tcha know.....)

Should a twin turbo kit, that is reasonably priced, and does not require a large amount of fabrication become available, I will have my checkbook in hand in VERY short order.......
Old 02-01-2002, 09:07 PM

So then - what would everyone consider 'reasonable' for a twin-turbo third gen kit? If I do this, I'll design the whole thing in Pro/Engineer, so I can easily reproduce any custom parts later. If I could find reasonably priced exhaust manifolds or have some made for a realistic price, I might start packaging them. If nothing else, I could supply full blueprints to have them built to fit in a third gen.
Old 02-02-2002, 12:22 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

heh, a twin turbo thirdgen kit that includes:
both turbos
2 boost controls
2 blow off valves / wastegates
2 "special" headers
2 "special" exhaust pieces that connect the turbos together and make it all come together with the headers
1 special intake manifold for the turbos
Am i forgetting anything? Oh yeah, Optional TPI or TBI Adapter Kit for fuel injected blocks and a CHIP to go with it?
This setup would work tons better with just carbs i think...
say... adjustable 6-20 psi boost from each turbo? 6-15?

If a big company like weiand or ATI I guarantee it would be upwards of the $8K mark. maybe more....
Reasonably priced... $4K... more than a centrifugal blower yet more performance and drivability (if thats possible) than one. also less chance of blowing stuff up... then again, turbos elicit more "boost shock" than blowers.tough decision.the stuff is expensive and the technologies there, but each car has its own "personality" I do not beleive it would be easy to market.
Old 02-02-2002, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by Kingtal0n
heh, a twin turbo thirdgen kit that includes:
both turbos
2 boost controls
2 blow off valves / wastegates
2 "special" headers
2 "special" exhaust pieces that connect the turbos together and make it all come together with the headers
1 special intake manifold for the turbos
Am i forgetting anything? Oh yeah, Optional TPI or TBI Adapter Kit for fuel injected blocks and a CHIP to go with it?
This setup would work tons better with just carbs i think...
If I were to do anything, it would be something with just the difficult to fab parts. Basically, the headers or exhaust manifolds, and the piping from the turbo to the intake. I'm building mine for a TPI and will not be using the stock PCM. It will be Accel DFI so chips are not an issue. Also, there isn't anything special about a blow-through turbo manifold - it can be anything.

What did you mean by the 'special' exhaust pieces that connect the turbos together? All twin setups I've ever seen just have matched turbos on the exhaust without any kind of crossover. Those are only on single turbo setups.
Old 02-02-2002, 11:14 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Well there are different twin turbo setups, ive seen many types so far but im sure there are more.
#1 is where one smaller turbo blows into a bigger one. this helps off the line with boost, then later the bigger turbo picks up and boosts for the high rpms. there is just one straight pipe which connects all the exhaust and the turbos are in the middle of it at different points.
#2 is with two same sized turbos that just boost for maximum power up top. there is a Y or H pipe in there somwhere.
#3 is with 2 turbos one small one big, but not connected. the connected kind seems to be more efficient on 6 cylinders im told. there is also a Y or H pipe in there somwhere, usually close to the intake.
#4 is with one turbo right after the exhaust, and one right before the intake. the one by the exhaust is small, and absorbs all the early exhaust and pushes it all forward to a Y-connector, which blows directly to the big turbo on the intake, which finnaly boosts directly into the engine. this is good on 4 cylinders im told.
And ive heard of turbos that blow into superchargers, and other crazy crap you can think of. Each different design requires different "custom" Exhaust work. like i said before, each car has its own "personality" is that belt goina be in the way? how old is the engine? aftermarket stuff that changes the shape or size of other things? (i.e. bigger radiator, elec. water pump, flex fan / elec fan, dipstick right or left side, reverse coolant flow for LT1 in a thirdgen? what else can get in the way?)
Old 02-03-2002, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by Kingtal0n
Well there are different twin turbo setups, ive seen many types so far but im sure there are more.
#1 is where one smaller turbo blows into a bigger one....
#2 is with two same sized turbos that just boost for maximum power up top. there is a Y or H pipe in there somwhere.
#3 is with 2 turbos one small one big, but not connected.
#4 is with one turbo right after the exhaust, and one right before the intake. this is good on 4 cylinders im told.
I was only thinking of a twin turbo for a V8 third gen, your #2 scenario. No sequential stuff, just one per exhaust manifold. Since its got more than enough torque without the turbos, I WANT a little lag to help get off the line without smoking the tires. The only Y pipe required in #2 is the one to route the air from the two turbo compressor wheels into the intake. That should be the easy part - simple tube fab. It's the exhaust mount that is critical - it determines where the turbos will be. Since I live in Texas where the summers get damn hot, keeping the A/C compressor is a necessity.
Old 02-05-2002, 08:19 AM

I would love to hav a turbo single or twin that let's me keep my a c
Old 02-06-2002, 10:42 AM

Even though I am just a newbie to this board (came over from Corvette Forum and Camaroz28.com) I am in. This is the route I would want to take with my GTA. I would rather not fab it up myself
Old 02-06-2002, 04:09 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

well trudat theres always a way. The cool thing with (#2) is the pipe can be smaller and used with smaller turbos, which will increase boost pressure for those smaller turbos, just as long as they are really close to the intake it would make a huge difference. the closer the better I am told, that goes double for Centrifugal Superchargers.
Old 02-07-2002, 01:51 PM
bub

bolt on kit

summit racing has a vortech bolt on super charger part #vor-4gf218-060s

1988-1992 5.0/5.7 tpi satin
camaro/firebird
so i geuss allot of you will start getting your money together. $ 2,959.00 for kit
Old 02-07-2002, 01:59 PM

Re: bolt on kit

Originally posted by bub
summit racing has a vortech bolt on super charger part #vor-4gf218-060s

1988-1992 5.0/5.7 tpi satin
camaro/firebird
so i geuss allot of you will start getting your money together. $ 2,959.00 for kit
There have been supercharger systems for our cars for well over ten years. Paxton came out with one in the 80's
I think most of us are looking for a twin turbo system??
Old 02-08-2002, 06:58 PM

Car: '95 TT Trans Am
Engine: 383 LT1
Transmission: TH400
I'm hoping that the TPI computer would be ditched too. There's no way in hell you'll ever seen maximum power with twins and the TPI. The new TT LT1 kits include the SpeedPro kit and tubular k-member.

Might be something else to consider.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:08 PM

My TPI never even HAD the stock computer. I'm running DFI. All I need is a 3 bar MAP and I'm good to go. I did see, however, that Haltech makes a system, I think the E6GM that plugs straight into the stock harness, but gives full program capability like the DFI. Man, do I want to hear those turbines spinning up!
Old 02-10-2002, 09:54 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: 1989 Formula 350
Engine: 355 HSR
Transmission: Rossler 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt/3.27
well i have already built the engine, I just need a company to put a kit up for sale before i run to ATI
Old 02-15-2002, 12:29 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: 1992 B4C 1LE
Engine: Proaction 412, Accel singleplane
Transmission: built 700R4 w/custom converter
Axle/Gears: stock w/later 4th gen torsen pos
there is a newer turbo company called http://www.turbodrivenconcepts.com/ they make ford and are thinking of doing some LS1 kits. PLEASE email these three addresses to let them know they should build atleast turbo headers if not a kit for third gens (hell they would probably fit all kinds of chevys then) these are thier email addresses: sales@turbodrivenconcepts.com tech@turbodrivenconcepts.com contact@turbodrivenconcepts.com:rockon:

Last edited by B4Ctom1; 02-15-2002 at 12:33 PM.