Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

305 and T5 Build Direction

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 Chevrolet Camaro Iroc-z
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T5 T56 needs rebuild
Axle/Gears: 2.77 POSI with Disc brakes 9 bolt
305 and T5 Build Direction

I know the 305 is a boat anchor and the T5 is a slush box with TNT bouncing around inside and a 350 with a T56 is IDEAL .
1992 Camaro RS 305 TBI T5 Trans, sporting new Summit racing springs and AGX shocks and struts 16 rims and Iroc decals it's a clone!
However I am not looking for a race car, not slapping on slicks to hit the track.

I have 4 very strict goals.
1. Use what I got keep it as close to stock as possible.
2. Build a light performance highway cruiser IE gas mileage 2.73 rear diff.
3. Minimal modification keep it well under 400 hp with a direct bolt in direction (Extreme Budget)
4.Most power adders I use will also bolt on to a 350 upon engine failure.

Headers, intake and fuel delivery all might need an upgrade and be tuned for whatever, got it no avoiding that.

So now what should the big money investment be for the 305 seeing as I spend more money keeping it running and on the road than I do on performance its hit that 25 year mark where it's been abused by previous owners and its time to rebuild the engine and tranny, lets face it it cost the same amount to pay someone in a shop to do a stock rebuild as to buy some heads, cam and rebuild kit and build a better machine over all myself. So by means of the cheapest overall way. What would be the best investment overall. Some thoughts, a used TPI conversion tuned with heads and cam and fab a ram air scoop. Forced induction reusing the TBI cowling it with bigger injectors, fuel sender regulator and cam. I know the dang thing can't breath so why not for to air down it's throat. Or make it a 355 with the TBI and fab a ram air system. With the 2.73 rear diff I am most likely want that 1000-2000 RPM power band to cruise and not let stock civics pull out on me. If I had the space, tools and money I would go the 350 route unfortunately my wife and kid claim most of that especially the latter of the three. Short of the seats I have all new interior and feels glorious to sit in the exterior however reminds me of Mad Max's interceptor and after market hoods are a dime a dozen I am not above cutting into it for ram air. Form follows function as they say.

So what feedback might this community have other than a blowtorch to cut out the 305. That will happen eventually but this is my daily driver I need it back on the street in good form as soon as possible for as cheap as possible for as long as possible.
Need some of that out of the box thinking.

P.S. I could probably sell a re-built 305 for more so I could get a 350.

Last edited by RicerEater; 12-26-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:54 PM
jmd
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R
Re: 305 and T5 Build Direction

First, is it blown up? Or are you still driving it?

You're all over the place. You know this.
You don't want to waste money on unsatisfying results.
You know you want the car, just not slow, nor crap mileage.

Figure out what you want. Do it in logical order.
Save for it. Especially if you don't have much budget.

A few tips:
The TPI intake sucks if the rest of the car supports a higher-strung engine. Don't swap to a TPI intake. It will just make you sad if you previously had a nicely 4bbl cammed engine similar to it.

A higher-strung 305 and GM V8 T5 work very well with a 3.73 rear.
If you're more interested in mileage, go for 3.42 or 3.55 (yes, they're made) rear gears.

Once you total up what aftermarket heads, cam, rebuild etc. cost on a 305 or 350, you'll better appreciate why the LS swaps are popular. If you know you're going that direction, just drive the 305 and save money (i.e. don't buy heads and headers that aren't useful later.) Don't buy stuff you "could probably sell" so you can later do what you really wanted. Gen I SBC parts are not gaining, nor retaining value.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:36 PM

It's not driving the head gasket is bad I caught it before it blew. I have to something about the heads regardless there old and all gunked up. And I am all over the place because 305, 350 parts are not gaining or retaining value so must of what I can do on the cheap with used parts, it's not hard to clean out and fine tune them I know what I want done there are just 10 different ways to achieve the same result. If I had the $$$ for whats involved with a engine swap I would do so. I do need it back on the road asap. I figured TPI was worth it cause I could port it out and it would simplify tuning it in. Pretty much I plan on getting used heads and a new cam of some sort not sure what I want to do about the intake there are so many options, like get a new 355 rotating assembly or just get bigger heads. already stuck with the 2.73 rear end so can't do much about that. My budget is low and the headers and heads are already gonna eat into that. That pretty much leaves me with 10 different choices. I am looking more for a direction that would be most cost effective and practice. A re-built 305 will sell more than a dead one is what I was getting at. further down the road. The car is already slow I just don't want it HONDA SLOW For instance The 305 TBI (LO3) came stock with 170hp and 255lb ft of torque. Now a 2.0 Honda Civic has 174 Hp and well less torque in that retrospect I am only looking for 50 - 100 more HP and better MPG.

Last edited by RicerEater; 12-26-2015 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:39 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 89 WS6 TransAm
Engine: LQ408
Transmission: T56 Magnum
Axle/Gears: Strange S60, 4.10s

Originally Posted by RicerEater
That will happen eventually but this is my daily driver I need it back on the street in good form as soon as possible for as cheap as possible for as long as possible.
Put a new head gasket on it, run it and start saving after your family is fed. Once you have a few grand in the bank, revisit where you want to go. A rebuilt 305 is not worth much more than a blown one. Performance parts installed on a stock 305 would not be optimal on a modded 350, or support future power adder additions.

Be realistic about budget before goals, building or upgrading horsepower is not cheap.

If you have the skills, adding a turbo to the stock 305 would get you to your horsepower goal and would be reusable with a future 355 upgrade, however that T5 will be the next upgrade, which should be budgeted in any future horsepower upgrade as it will be when, not if if goes.

I would put that new interior in and enjoy it until more funds are available.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:22 PM

Well I found a nice U pull it spot. So far I found Heads of an old Pontiac Bonniville cast #14014416 for $25 it said HO on the air filter cover lets see where those go, aswell I got a cam for $15 from a 4th gen Trans Am LT1 that looked like I was wrapped around a tree at one point aswell found some rusty old SBC headers for $10 and 4" piping to make my own Y pipe for another $10 and found a nice edelbrock intake manifold out of a old pick'em-up truck for $35 Got a engine rebuild kit in the mail for $150 Aswell A bunch of ABOVE stock transmission parts for $189 in the mail. So $434 down so far and $566 left in my pocket. Oh upgrading isn't cheap huh but now I will have the best of both worlds, an like new engine and MORE POWER. All and all been a great week. Gonna head down to my buddies garage and start measuring up the piping and see what we can manage on these heads with the Air compressed dremel doohicky. To top it off I may have a line on a 350 TBI engine out of a truck that should be a pretty straight forward swap and I can ALSO reuse the heads and cam if I get bigger valves...I may not go that route yet, Might look into a supercharger. gotta figure out the math on the ECM flashing with the new cam first.