Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Single turbo 352 iroc 1000hp or bust the grand finale

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 06:25 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: camaro sportcoupe
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: G-Force GF5R
Axle/Gears: Moser 9"
Re: Single turbo 352 iroc 1000hp or bust the grand finale

im 31...i'm just hungry
Old 11-21-2015, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: TPI 327 SBC Turbo MS2
Transmission: 200-4R CKP Stage 2
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by project89
may have accidently revresed the ignition triggering in the ecm when i had hooked up the laptop to see what was up but i doubt it but it is possible since i had 2 different ecms in the car with 2 different ignition setups and when i plugged the laptop back in it may have loaded the settings from the other ecm into the one i was currently using
Are you saying you didn't have the computer with you on the car when overboosted and developed a driveline issue?

Originally Posted by anesthes
Track don't open until April here, so I've got all winter (in my climate controlled shop) to finish my car.

-- Joe
Climate controlled? Mine too, by the upstate NY climate - lol. I heat it only when we are in it. I'd like to heat it full time but .... It's a PITA doing motor work when it's below 25 degrees because the air tight wrapping of everything due to the condensation that forms when the metal parts go from 15 degrees to 60.

lol yeah when i was younger id be out there in the rain snow whatever working on my stuff , im a bit more relaxed and patient now
I refuse to let the weather dictate my schedule or priorities. But it does sometime happen (floods, hurricanes and blizzards are the exception to that rule.)

Keep the faith and get her done.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 RS 89 iroc 87 firebird
Engine: 3.1 Turbo/ 355 twin turbo
Transmission: a4 w/ 4500 stall/ a4 / t5
Axle/Gears: strange s60 /w 3:42's

Originally Posted by jimw67
Are you saying you didn't have the computer with you on the car when overboosted and developed a driveline issue?
nope wasnt allowed to unless it was strapped down , so i need to build a laptop stand before i go back , i wasnt even allowed to runt he dirtbike down the track without full riding leathers. they are prettystrict on certian things and pretty lax on some other stuff.

i just bought a new laptop so i think im going to remove the screen frommy old one and mount the case under the seat , and install a 7inch touchscreen in the dash , would sure as hell beat having a full laptop i have to take in and out of the car and it also gives me a dedicated laptop for tunning permantly mounted int he car

first track ive ever been to were u need full leathers on a bike that slow
Old 11-21-2015, 07:33 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 193 Likes on 164 Posts

lol yeah when i was younger id be out there in the rain snow whatever working on my stuff , im a bit more relaxed and patient now...
That is crazy, maybe years ago at seventeen I see myself doing that in those conditions, but not after college, and definitely not now. Won't even touch the car unless I know I have off from work the next day, as corporatism and greasy fingers just doesn't mix well, and investing that much time with no real pay out, to me, is a waste of time. Again maybe at seventeen, but not in my 30's. I am more into family, real estate and making money at this stage of the game. Some of the guys I know from NYCE1's are that dedicated in the Winter though. Was hoping to see that video too Dave, should have known the file would be too large to send. Your buddy must have a piece of crap Galaxy phone. Either that or it took you 25 seconds to cross the finish line lol...
Old 11-21-2015, 07:45 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
That is crazy, maybe years ago at seventeen I see myself doing that in those conditions, but not after college, and definitely not now. Won't even touch the car unless I know I have off from work the next day, as corporatism and greasy fingers just doesn't mix well, and investing that much time with no real pay out, to me, is a waste of time. Again maybe at seventeen, but not in my 30's. I am more into family, real estate and making money at this stage of the game. Some of the guys I know from NYCE1's are that dedicated in the Winter though. Was hoping to see that video too Dave, should have known the file would be too large to send. Your buddy must have a piece of crap Galaxy phone. Either that or it took you 25 seconds to cross the finish line lol...

haha i didnt even cross the starting line
, think his phone is one model under what i have by defualt they take like 1080hd video files come out friggen huge
Old 11-21-2015, 07:57 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

i think it's funny that because i work hard, regardless of weather conditions, that you guys think that i'm not interested in making money, or spending time with my growing family. I race WITH my family. it is 100% a family affair. a lot of guys have crappy wives that don't like racing, or don't think that spending time building a car can be a family thing. mine isn't like that. my little girl is 10 months old and LOVES going to the track, or seeing the cars.

i have a 4 year degree, did the college thing, spent some time in an office environment and didn't like the commute, or having to keep my hands clean . my position now allows me to do all sorts of stuff. i drive all over the state, hang out with clients. sometimes i turn a wrench, sometimes i build or fabricate things for work, some times i do office work. it's extremely diverse. Additionally, i dedicate time to building my side business and putting enough time into my racing program to keep it competitive, all while maintaining that ever important family life. Shoot, i even wake up every morning early enough to make my family a proper hot breakfast and help cook dinner when we both get home.

as i said, it's all in how bad you want it.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:01 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by mw66nova
i think it's funny that because i work hard, regardless of weather conditions, that you guys think that i'm not interested in making money, or spending time with my growing family. I race WITH my family. it is 100% a family affair. a lot of guys have crappy wives that don't like racing, or don't think that spending time building a car can be a family thing. mine isn't like that. my little girl is 10 months old and LOVES going to the track, or seeing the cars.

i have a 4 year degree, did the college thing, spent some time in an office environment and didn't like the commute, or having to keep my hands clean . my position now allows me to do all sorts of stuff. i drive all over the state, hang out with clients. sometimes i turn a wrench, sometimes i build or fabricate things for work, some times i do office work. it's extremely diverse. Additionally, i dedicate time to building my side business and putting enough time into my racing program to keep it competitive, all while maintaining that ever important family life. Shoot, i even wake up every morning early enough to make my family a proper hot breakfast and help cook dinner when we both get home.

as i said, it's all in how bad you want it.
i dont have to worry about that i dont race in a point series or anything like that , basically for me its hey i have some free time so lets load up and hit the track.

not that i dont want to race in a series but #1 it is to far to travel weekly #2 i just dont have the means to go racing every weekend ,atleats not like when i lived about 7 miles from e-town being that close to the track made it so damn easy, back in jersey i was at the track 2-4 days a week
Old 11-21-2015, 08:04 AM
Supreme Member

just to add to that , during race season work on the farm is at its busiest time , specially when its harvest time , this alone means no time for the track
Old 11-21-2015, 08:49 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

i work within the ag industry, so i know how busy it is. i am not a farmer, never farmed, and never intend to, but i can sympathize there. i race with an org that runs a 10-12 race-per-season series, then add a few extra races throughout the season, so we are at the track about 20 times per year. enough that the program is visible, but not so much that we are running ourselves out of house and home to try to go to the track.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

i will be 37 in jan. lets see... the last time i ran my car was 6 years ago. i had 2 kids at the time. now i have 4, and cant seem to ever get a good chance to work on the car. there is always SOMETHING else to worry about. i make good money, but my wife is a stay at home mother (which i want). we run a pretty tight household budget, but still the money for the car isnt really there anymore. i would do some side work, but i pretty much come home exhausted as i work 52-55 hours a week on my feet all day as a mechanic, and then have to tend to the house and my misc. projects until i get in the bed at 11 or so. i now have one project sitting in my side of the 2 car garage (truck bed) and i cant work on that because of the project parked just outside (stepsons 94 t/a without its motor) i also just purchased a cheap minivan for the wife, but i dont want to put her in that until i have done some body work and get it painted, so it sits in front of the t/a project. thats what im working on now, in conjunction with the stepsons motor.
i go to work at 5-530am in the dark, and come home at 530-6pm in the dark everyday. i come home too tired to work out, so im also starting to get fat, flabby, and that worsens my tiredness each day. saturday and sunday all i want to do is sleep in.

there was a time i did work on my cars in a manner where everyone said "wow, your done with it already??" not anymore though. starting to get old i guess.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:10 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, LT1
Transmission: TKX, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.23

i work within the ag industry, so i know how busy it is. i am not a farmer, never farmed, and never intend to, but i can sympathize there. i race with an org that runs a 10-12 race-per-season series, then add a few extra races throughout the season, so we are at the track about 20 times per year. enough that the program is visible, but not so much that we are running ourselves out of house and home to try to go to the track.
I don't work in AG, but I have a small farm. (horses). I work as an executive at an IT company (R&D), and I'm a reservist. Which translates to almost no time to play with the cars.

Growing up sucks.

-- Joe
Old 11-21-2015, 07:56 PM
Supreme Member

cars back in the shop finally a week after the track
Name:  IMAG0572_zpshb5bhezd.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  269.2 KB

had one hell of a day at the farm today 80 + head of cattle got out and onto the highway when we went home for lunch , got them back were they belonged and then we were digging a new trench for the new pivot 's power line and the guy hit the shops power line and one of the 12 inch irrigation water pipes with the trencher
Old 11-22-2015, 10:52 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Car has come a long way Dave, paint looks fantastic as always.

When are you planning on fabricating that rear wing?

cars back in the shop finally a week after the track

had one hell of a day at the farm today 80 + head of cattle got out and onto the highway when we went home for lunch , got them back were they belonged and then we were digging a new trench for the new pivot 's power line and the guy hit the shops power line and one of the 12 inch irrigation water pipes with the trencher
Old 11-22-2015, 11:47 AM
Supreme Member

Car has come a long way Dave, paint looks fantastic as always.

When are you planning on fabricating that rear wing?
thanks , i dont have the tools to make one so im just going to buy one
Old 11-22-2015, 01:18 PM

Engine: TPI 327 SBC Turbo MS2
Transmission: 200-4R CKP Stage 2
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I guess I'm fortunate in alot of ways. I/we are spending my sons money on his car (with the TPI that got me involved with this forum - lol). My projects are always on hold according to my wife - 64 Wildcat and 68 Austin. FWIW, my son got me into hotrodding and building go fast stuff and I love him for it.

Dave, I can't believe they wouldn't let you run with a computer - that's BS. Like mentioned previously - keep the faith and get it in the 9's.

p.s - I'm 48 and my mind feels 20,but my body reminds me daily of my age.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:53 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by jimw67

Dave, I can't believe they wouldn't let you run with a computer - that's BS. Like mentioned previously - keep the faith and get it in the 9's.
they will but it has to be bolted/strapped down , they wouldnt let me place it on the seat or the floorboard , the track is a semi converted airstrip , and the events are put on by a group of local ppl who volunteer . so they are pretty strict about some things as one incident could shut the whole thing down
Old 11-22-2015, 02:54 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

they will but it has to be bolted/strapped down , they wouldnt let me place it on the seat or the floorboard , the track is a semi converted airstrip , and the events are put on by a group of local ppl who volunteer . so they are pretty strict about some things as one incident could shut the whole thing down
That has been in the NHRA and IHRA rulebook for years.

-- Joe
Old 11-22-2015, 03:00 PM
Supreme Member

That has been in the NHRA and IHRA rulebook for years.

-- Joe
ive never had an issue at an nhra track with the laptop on the floor
Old 11-22-2015, 04:48 PM
Supreme Member

tracks around here dont care about laptops as long as you have it in a reasonable place such as the passenger seat or floorboard.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:28 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by DIGGLER
tracks around here dont care about laptops as long as you have it in a reasonable place such as the passenger seat or floorboard.
So when you spin out and it hits you?

During ET classes you can't even have a computer connected.

-- Joe
Old 11-23-2015, 07:55 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 376 Likes on 304 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

Lol its a computer. Its not gonna hurt you. Thats why you have a helmet
Old 11-23-2015, 08:10 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

i've raced all over the east coast. never have i ever had anyone say i can't have my laptop in the car.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:04 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

i've raced all over the east coast. never have i ever had anyone say i can't have my laptop in the car.
Ok. That's fine. I'm just pointing out the rules.

If your track doesn't follow the rulebook that's ok.

-- Joe
Old 11-27-2015, 07:08 PM
Supreme Member

sorry about the vertical video

Last edited by project89; 11-27-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '88 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

I think you have the right brake light socket in the wrong hole.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:11 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by lb9 GTA
I think you have the right brake light socket in the wrong hole.
i fixed a bunch of damaged wiring back there figured i missed wired something, didnt think u could plug int he connectors in the wrong spot

i saw it and though about wiring the other side so the brake light was amber
Old 11-29-2015, 08:15 PM
Supreme Member

hoping to get some street driving in this week , its been snowing for the last few days but the big storm didnt hit us so we have nexto nothing for snow ont he ground
Old 12-01-2015, 11:02 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Still have some slight tuning issues, engine cuts off after blipping the throttle...

i saw it and though about wiring the other side so the brake light was amber...
The laws over in Utah must be null and void ehh...
Old 12-01-2015, 02:42 PM
Supreme Member

Still have some slight tuning issues, engine cuts off after blipping the throttle...

The laws over in Utah must be null and void ehh...

it does that when its ice cold , once it warms up its fine, one of these cold *** days ill get around to dialing in the cold start

u can get away with alot here
Old 12-03-2015, 04:46 PM

Car: 87 Camaro LT
Engine: 383 Twin Turbo - In progress
Axle/Gears: 3.43

This is coming along nice, glad to see you got your transmission issues solved and it's running now.

Sounds nasty as hell, diffently not a car I would want to line up with lol. Can't wait to see what it runs at the track once it's tuned.

Good luck and hope you get some good runs then.

Xter
Old 12-03-2015, 08:49 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Xter
This is coming along nice, glad to see you got your transmission issues solved and it's running now.

Sounds nasty as hell, diffently not a car I would want to line up with lol. Can't wait to see what it runs at the track once it's tuned.

Good luck and hope you get some good runs then.

Xter
thanks shes ready to street drive now but ive been busy as can be at the farm so havent had time to take it out , this weekend i have to help my friend with a clutch job in a truck and a timming belt on another car.

soon as i can get the car back int he shop i have a bunch of things i want to change or upgrade , going to try to knock a bunch of wieght out of the car as well
Old 12-03-2015, 09:22 PM
Supreme Member

thoughts on these for somethng that will be street driven some long 1-2 hour drives

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/kir-16800/overview/
Old 12-03-2015, 10:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1983 CHEVROLET CAMARO Z28
Engine: Forged 355 with a GT45 turbo
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: built 4th gen rear with 3.27s

I would get something with a little more cushion for that long of a drive.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:09 AM

Car: 87 Camaro LT
Engine: 383 Twin Turbo - In progress
Axle/Gears: 3.43

thanks shes ready to street drive now but ive been busy as can be at the farm so havent had time to take it out , this weekend i have to help my friend with a clutch job in a truck and a timming belt on another car.

soon as i can get the car back int he shop i have a bunch of things i want to change or upgrade , going to try to knock a bunch of wieght out of the car as well
I understand that, I been too busy with work having to work 7 days for 10-12 hours a day to work on mine.

Weight wise, outside of fiberglass body panels, I think the best place to lose weight would be in an aluminum rearend and ditching the back seats and interior trim there.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:56 AM
Supreme Member

tommorow we are going to drag my core roller motor into the shop and tear it down so we can deliver it to the machine shop , going to build a roller 383 shortblock while i have the money incase i hurt the current motor
Old 12-05-2015, 01:11 PM
Supreme Member

so i went over the roller block today and thebores may be a lil to rusty so it may not be worth having it machined . i do have another 4 bolt non roller block thats in great shape i was thinking about having prepped

i can get my hands on a 400 block what are u guys thoughts on the stock 400 block , iirc the block has already had an .020 over bore. partial fill and 4 bolt splayed mains enough to make it live ?

only reason im considering the 400 is im sending another set of heads to spiers for a 227cc port job while i have the spare money to do a spare shortblock and heads
Old 12-05-2015, 03:17 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

so i went over the roller block today and thebores may be a lil to rusty so it may not be worth having it machined . i do have another 4 bolt non roller block thats in great shape i was thinking about having prepped

i can get my hands on a 400 block what are u guys thoughts on the stock 400 block , iirc the block has already had an .020 over bore. partial fill and 4 bolt splayed mains enough to make it live ?

only reason im considering the 400 is im sending another set of heads to spiers for a 227cc port job while i have the spare money to do a spare shortblock and heads
More cubes but requires retrofit roller.

The partial fill makes me nervous. Anyone who thinks the bottom of the cylinders don't need cooling didn't graduate high school.

What casting # is the 400?

-- Joe
Old 12-05-2015, 07:14 PM
Supreme Member

More cubes but requires retrofit roller.

The partial fill makes me nervous. Anyone who thinks the bottom of the cylinders don't need cooling didn't graduate high school.

What casting # is the 400?

-- Joe

not sure ill have to check , the 400 is something one of my buddys yanked out of a truck
Old 12-05-2015, 07:33 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

You have a better chance of a 2 pc 350 block holding imo maybe even half fill it. Guys have done 1000 on those but idk anyone making over 800 on 400 blocks
Old 12-05-2015, 08:07 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ
You have a better chance of a 2 pc 350 block holding imo maybe even half fill it. Guys have done 1000 on those but idk anyone making over 800 on 400 blocks
ive been pricng up some dart blocks compared to machining my roller 350 block it very well may be an option though i really didnt intentd to spend that much money on a backup motor lol
Old 12-05-2015, 08:09 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Make it a primary. Well worth it. Sell whatever u dont need. As long as tune it good you wont need a backup motor
Old 12-05-2015, 08:44 PM
Supreme Member

Make it a primary. Well worth it. Sell whatever u dont need. As long as tune it good you wont need a backup motor
heh 406 with spiers 227's is very tempting but kinda walks away from the build theme , though i guess i got away fromt he original theme when i bought the 200cc heads, rods/pistons

i do plan on spending some money this winter though , carbon door panels , seats , rear etc
Old 12-06-2015, 11:47 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

What? Single turbo 352? Still keep it 352" if you want on shp block. Those heads at 7500-7700 rpm would be a rocketship
Old 12-06-2015, 02:27 PM
Supreme Member

could keep it 352, but if buying a block i would splurge to the big bore and pistons. actually, those heads might not work very well with the small bore anyways?

i need a block too.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:41 PM
Supreme Member

What? Single turbo 352? Still keep it 352" if you want on shp block. Those heads at 7500-7700 rpm would be a rocketship
Originally Posted by DIGGLER
could keep it 352, but if buying a block i would splurge to the big bore and pistons. actually, those heads might not work very well with the small bore anyways?

i need a block too.
yeah if i spend the money its going to be 400+ ci . the whole theme of the build was "cheap " lol, i think im just going to get the heads for now and hold off on the block and spend the money else were on the car
Old 12-07-2015, 06:46 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

227cc heads? This won't be a street car huh?

-- Joe
Old 12-07-2015, 07:28 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

If he does the 227 small bore package it has a 2.08 valve i believe, maybe 2.050. Other packages have 2.1-2.125". My 245's have 2.10" valve. You dont need a whole lot of valve in a small bore

Just make sure you rev to atleast 7k for power to use them heads
Old 12-07-2015, 07:55 PM
Supreme Member

im just going to get the heads now while i have the money , ill worry about the shortblock if /when the time ever comes for it . since i have the money now im going to put half the money away for the future if i need the shortblock
Old 12-14-2015, 10:12 PM
Supreme Member

anyone have or use a carbon creations carbon fiber rear spoiler?
im thinking about getting one instead of doing the drag wing , cost is about the same
Old 12-15-2015, 05:17 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

i hear they are junk.

Quick Reply: Single turbo 352 iroc 1000hp or bust the grand finale