Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Edelbrock supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013 | 05:05 PM

Edelbrock supercharger

Hi,

I have a 1985 camaro IROC-Z. The engine have been swapped for a modified 350 small block.

I would like to add a Edelbrock supercharger in the near future: http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/...rentProductId=

So my question is: If i use a triangular air filter, how much hood clearance would I need? I was considering a 2" cowl but I am not sure if it would be enough.

Anybody have experience with this product?
Old 04-10-2013 | 04:29 PM

Car: '91 RS / '17 FiST
Engine: Internal cumbustion
Transmission: 1 with a fun pedal and 1 without
Axle/Gears: 4th gen ss
Re: Edelbrock supercharger

You've probably already done so but you can always measure it so you don't have to take it on good faith from someone else. Jegs lists all height dimensions of the various components from intake to carb. I personally doubt you'd fit that under anything less than a 4" cowl but that is because I would want the biggest filter possible on a blown motor.

I've never used one that small however, only 6-71 and 8-71 blowers in my garage
Old 04-16-2013 | 02:40 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I found the dimension chart you were talking about and I will measure ASAP (the car is still stored as it is winter here...).

In all honesty, I didn't think about filter size VS performance... Would a bigger filter give a better yield on a relatively small blower?
Old 04-16-2013 | 03:23 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 83Z28 HO
Engine: Magnacharged Dart Little M 408
Transmission: G Force 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/Detroit Trutrac

Originally Posted by Lucky333_gold
Hi,

I have a 1985 camaro IROC-Z. The engine have been swapped for a modified 350 small block.

I would like to add a Edelbrock supercharger in the near future: http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/...rentProductId=

So my question is: If i use a triangular air filter, how much hood clearance would I need? I was considering a 2" cowl but I am not sure if it would be enough.

Anybody have experience with this product?
Yes - the short answer is no to a 2" cowl, you'll need at least a 4" cowl. I can almost bet a triangular air filter won't fit either, but you didn't say which one. You'll want a decent breathing air filter and exhaust system as well among other things.
Old 04-16-2013 | 04:08 PM

elda-brok = JUNK
Old 04-16-2013 | 06:24 PM

Car: '91 RS / '17 FiST
Engine: Internal cumbustion
Transmission: 1 with a fun pedal and 1 without
Axle/Gears: 4th gen ss

I took it for granted that you understood all necessary other modifications that would have to be made, but as Confuzed said, with boosted applications you generally want as much flow as possible. Some people who really dial in the extreme setups here might argue that, but with a smaller blower and reasonable setup you will want a good filter/intake setup and exhaust. In my opinion the biggest filter you can fit would be ideal since its not up to the filter to regulate intake airflow, it is only there to clean the air.

If it was my choice I'd keep the stock hood and cut a hole in it. You'll save $400-500 on a big cowl hood and gain some aesthetic value in my opinion. Plus if you took that route you could set a hilborn scoop or something of that nature on it and never have to worry about filter size or flow. but I'm fairly old school like that, why try to hide it under a giant hood?

Sorry to ramble, just tossing in my 2 cents
Old 04-17-2013 | 11:20 AM

I have already everything in place in terms of mechanics (exaust, cam, carb, etc...).

As for the filter I was under the impression that it did just that, filter the air. But I get your point. The whole piercing the hood plan is somethig I considered, but since I never liked the stock hood on my camaro (I hate those fake plastic vents) and I'll have to change it anyway, it would be easier to just buy a cowl hood.

patin 88Z -> can you elaborate please?
Old 04-17-2013 | 11:53 AM
Supreme Member

I have already everything in place in terms of mechanics (exaust, cam, carb, etc...).

As for the filter I was under the impression that it did just that, filter the air. But I get your point. The whole piercing the hood plan is somethig I considered, but since I never liked the stock hood on my camaro (I hate those fake plastic vents) and I'll have to change it anyway, it would be easier to just buy a cowl hood.

patin 88Z -> can you elaborate please?
He can elaborate if he wants, but its a great blower. The semi helix rotors by Eaton along with the bypass valve makes the blower way more efficient than a comparible Weiand lobe-style.

The Magnuson MP122H is nearly identical.
Old 04-17-2013 | 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Confuzed1
He can elaborate if he wants, but its a great blower. The semi helix rotors by Eaton along with the bypass valve makes the blower way more efficient than a comparible Weiand lobe-style.

The Magnuson MP122H is nearly identical.
Ok, thanks for the opinion. I found great reviews about this product too.

Do you thinnk there is a way to fit a decent air filter under a 4inch cowl ?
Old 04-18-2013 | 12:19 PM
Supreme Member

Ok, thanks for the opinion. I found great reviews about this product too.

Do you thinnk there is a way to fit a decent air filter under a 4inch cowl ?
You might want to look at my sig and the pics in my photobucket link...Call it my opinion if you like..

Mr. Gasket has a "Low Rider" air cleaner. That with a 3" thick element BARELY fits.