Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

What do u think about megasquirt 3?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 08:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum
Re: What do u think about megasquirt 3?

Originally Posted by anesthes
I've learned a lot since I started playing with the MS stuff. At first I was very confused because most of my experience was with GM systems, and I wasn't sure what I was looking for.
till then my experience was frustration with GM systems, I love engine theory, and I want to think about tuning in that context, and GM stuff does not. MS is about as close to that as I've seen yet (though im also ok with the holley dominator)

The thing about MS most people don't realize is it's a system designed to run ANYTHING ON THE PLANET. People have trouble with it often because it has so many different combination of options that are typically hard coded in GM calibrations. (because why would you run a ford ignition or a ford maf on a GM ecm, right?).

I read the entire ms2 extra manual, and spent a lot of time on the ms forums. I've learned more about EFI by using the MS now than I knew the previous 10+ years playing with GM stuff. It's opened me up to the world of different types of sensors, ignition triggers, flex fuel sensors, boost controllers, table switching, table blending, hybrid maf/map, etc. Stuff I'd never have experience with if I had stayed playing with the stock GM stuff from the 80s.
Wow, you just made me realize that I read that manual something like 7years ago (I know it was 2009 or earlier) and haven't looked at more than snipits of things trying to work things out since then. I know that there was a push to re-write large sections of it and there is lots of new stuff in it... I probably should read it again...

Honestly, sometimes I wish I was more of an EE and programmer (I used to be, while in HS and college). IRL I'm an IT guy who keeps venturing into machining and fabrication. Most of the time I just want this stuff to work exactly the way I want it to and don't like figuring out how to do that because I'm not as comfortable with EE and programming as I'd like.

I've been pretty frustrated with the forums... half the time I feel like I'm asking too basic a question and people are just treating me like "go away" and the other half the time I feel like people don't know the answer. Both are not very helpful and it seems like I eventually get a response from the moderators and sometimes one other person...

I wouldn't in a million years assemble a MS2 ECM. Let a professional do that. Again, to new members, if you are going to megasquirt your car buy an assembled MS2 or get a Microsquirt module and jumper the wires to a d56 connector.
Honestly, I enjoyed the physical process of assembling it, I was frustrated with working out the options that I needed to add (which I'm guessing is why you're saying you wouldn't assemble one, correct me if I'm wrong).

I wish the racetronics d56 connector was available when I built mine, I would have skipped the adapter board in a second (I had some issues with that thing, and if I was just using the MS to replace the ECM it's a simple, quick solution, but I want to tinker with things and it's gotten in the way more than the value that I'd put on "simple, quick").

I've been playing with the idea putting an MS on my 71 Mach 1 (and to mess with people's heads, I've been seriously considering using a GM TBI on it with the MS), and I keep coming just short of buying another pcb 3.0 kit for it even though I don't have time for that project. After reading some of your stuff last night I've been wondering if I should just grab a microsquirt and the little WBO2 driver for it. I almost feel like I could package the whole EFI deal in a way that the car will still look stock carburated (I have no idea why I care :-/ )

I'm using an external 2-bar GM map sensor on mine.
I am SO tempted to put one on and use the onboard for baro compensation... the only thing stopping me is that I couldn't be happier with the current tune in that car and for some reason I keep getting the feeling that will throw it off.

Tunerstudio is amazing software, and it keeps getting better. (along with Ms2 extra firmware).
I'm thinking the same thing. the only negative comments I have is the documentation and that I've found a couple of bugs in the tunerstudio software, and when I posted to the forum it took forever (a week or 2) before I got a response and when I did I got responses like "I can't believe that no one has ever noticed that, for now, don't do that because it doesn't work," or 2 or 3 "it's fine" till I took screen shots and showed him that it isn't and then he showed me how to fix _my_ copy (neither is fixed in the newest update)

I've recently started looking into e-trans control, using a second MS (microsquirt v3 controller - $299). Both MS units will communicate using the CAN bus.
I've been looking at using a TIOx board conected to the CANbus to add inputs/outputs. I also have a 4L80e that I probably would be looking at using a second MS on if I didn't have a TCI controller box sitting around for.

Wait, if you connect the 2 MSs together using CAN bus, can you program them together at the same time and use conditions from one for the second???

I'm not yet ready to jump on the MS3. If I was running full sequential or full CNP it would be worth it, but I'm not there yet.
I keep having "maybe I should upgrade my cpu" moments but so far haven't found a _good_ reason to...

Hey anesthes, maybe you (or someone viewing this or you know someone that can help me with what I'm trying to figure out now. seems to be a lot of general answers but nothing concrete, you even have a link to what looks like a placeholder on your web page about this, so I'm guessing you've looked at it but can't tell if you've figured it out):
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/dfi-...ml#post5881750

Last edited by 83 Crossfire TA; 02-23-2015 at 11:40 PM.