Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Thirdgen.org VS TurboBuicks Challenge....

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 06:49 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 180 Likes on 157 Posts
Thirdgen.org VS TurboBuicks Challenge....

Been a member on this website for a very long time, and I think its about time the East Coast/Mid Atlantic members got together for a track rental day and went at it with some serious racers. So very tired of reading who ran what, how fast they trapped, how hard they launched, who they beat on the street, who knows how to tune the best, which ECM works the best, yada yada yada, with absolutely no factual data to back it all up. Lets all put up or freaking shut up. Let's get together, collectively, select a date, select a track location, agree on it, and make this happen. Think your 3rd gen w/turbo V8 is fast? Think your 3rd gen w/turbo V6 is fast? Heh, perhaps you better think again, because these turbo buick guys don't play around. I will reach out to the turbo buick representatives to request a challenge but only if we get enough members to want to race, not two or three, I'm hoping for well over ten, at the very least. But you guys better be ready, and I mean ready. Anyone down to help make this happen...?

- Rob
Old 06-06-2012, 07:06 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, LT1
Transmission: TKX, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.23
Re: Thirdgen.org VS TurboBuicks Challenge....

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
Been a member on this website for a very long time, and I think its about time the East Coast/Mid Atlantic members got together for a track rental day and went at it with some serious racers. So very tired of reading who ran what, how fast they trapped, how hard they launched, who they beat on the street, who knows how to tune the best, which ECM works the best, yada yada yada, with absolutely no factual data to back it all up. Lets all put up or freaking shut up. Let's get together, collectively, select a date, select a track location, agree on it, and make this happen. Think your 3rd gen w/turbo V8 is fast? Think your 3rd gen w/turbo V6 is fast? Heh, perhaps you better think again, because these turbo buick guys don't play around. I will reach out to the turbo buick representatives to request a challenge but only if we get enough members to want to race, not two or three, I'm hoping for well over ten, at the very least. But you guys better be ready, and I mean ready. Anyone down to help make this happen...?

- Rob
This is intended only for forced induction thirdgens, correct?

I guess for now we can leave this thread here, but if it turns into a typical race thread, I'll have to move it to a racing board.

-- Joe
Old 06-06-2012, 07:39 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by anesthes
This is intended only for forced induction thirdgens, correct?

I guess for now we can leave this thread here, but if it turns into a typical race thread, I'll have to move it to a racing board.

-- Joe
Hey Joe, yes, aiming to put together a track rental consisting solely of our blown 3rd gens up against a well known turbo buick outlet that races throughout the Mid-Atlantic. Not just turbo specific on our side, as superchargers are more than welcome of course...

- Rob
Old 06-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Gonna try to run MAGNA? That'd be one hell of a party for sure. Would love to go to that if I was out there and had my **** running.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88' White-Black Trans Am
Engine: Trying to find a motor
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Kick their asses guys(:My buddy thinks "The herd" has some crap on us. haha theyre in denial about their 17 second boats(:
Old 06-07-2012, 06:55 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Drac0nic
Gonna try to run MAGNA? That'd be one hell of a party for sure. Would love to go to that if I was out there and had my **** running.
Yeah, I was with my buddy Paul yesterday, MAGNA representative. He just picked up his third Grand National this week and finished the engine. Fully caged w/XFI. He's been running bottom tens for the last six years because he was only caged for a 10.0, and now he finally has a reason to take it deep into the nines with that full cage. Love talking trash with those guys, and hopefully we can get enough guys together to set something up. They're having a MAGNA points series this Saturday at e-town if anybody wants to come down and hang out. They're also holding the first ever all GM "show and go" this weekend too at e-town, as well as their summer jam festival. Should be a lot of fun...
Old 06-07-2012, 06:58 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 88TransAmGuy
Kick their asses guys(:My buddy thinks "The herd" has some crap on us. haha theyre in denial about their 17 second boats(:
MAGNA guys run pretty damn fast. Here is Don w/his stock short block over at Atco...

Old 06-07-2012, 07:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 3xx ci tubo
Transmission: 4L60E & 4L80E

Hey Joe, yes, aiming to put together a track rental consisting solely of our blown 3rd gens up against a well known turbo buick outlet that races throughout the Mid-Atlantic. Not just turbo specific on our side, as superchargers are more than welcome of course...

- Rob
Does your 305ci have the turbos on it now? Still shooting for 9's? Just curious because I don't see the thread for it.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by junkcltr
Does your 305ci have the turbos on it now? Still shooting for 9's? Just curious because I don't see the thread for it...
Hey Junk. Yeah, the turbo is on and have been fiddling with the tune ever since. Remember awhile back you had a problem with some of the moderation on this board? Was given an infraction by a moderator who had something to say about me first, and who actually took sides with some idiot who was talking trash. Apparently I wasn't allowed to respond back and defend myself in a professional manner. Those posts were of course deleted so nothing can be proven at this point, but the infraction on my profile remains and I don't agree with it. Rather than argue though, I pulled my pics and gave up on my build thread on this board because it no longer means anything to me because of it. Now I am all about the racing at this point. I have enough turbo to propel me into the nines, but the question of course is will the drivetrain sustain the power. I pulled the stock 305 awhile back and installed the 305 from the first build; 218/218 Lunati Cam, PTC-3000 Stall Speed, heavily modified 416 heads, siamesed TPI setup, and 60-lb injectors...

Pic was right after I put it in, had to lift the entire car back onto the ramps to bolt on the transmission...

Last edited by Street Lethal; 06-07-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:48 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, LT1
Transmission: TKX, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.23

Remember awhile back you had a problem with some of the moderation on this board? Was given an infraction by a moderator who had something to say about me first, and who actually took sides with some idiot who was talking trash. Apparently I wasn't allowed to respond back and defend myself in a professional manner.
Stay out of the V6 forum

I do recall the thread your talking about, but since that's not my forum it's not my place to judge how it was moderated. It's noted that you don't agree, and you can appeal to JT if you feel wronged.

With that said, you are more than welcome to re-post any info on THIS forum, but please refrain from griping about moderators. (Not that you singled one out).

-- Joe
Old 06-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by anesthes
Stay out of the V6 forum

I do recall the thread your talking about, but since that's not my forum it's not my place to judge how it was moderated. It's noted that you don't agree, and you can appeal to JT if you feel wronged.

With that said, you are more than welcome to re-post any info on THIS forum, but please refrain from griping about moderators. (Not that you singled one out).

-- Joe
Your right Joe, I guess I just took it to heart because I've been a member for so long, and always provide tech whenever I can. No names were mentioned, and to be honest I'd rather just forget it even happened at this point...
Old 06-07-2012, 10:33 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 375 Likes on 303 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

My car aint done but is very close. Problem is theres so much to do the rest of this year with the tune and getting car setup right, that I'm not sure if I'll beable to go full tilt on it yet. We shall see, I dont want to rush things but I'm only caged to 10.0 anyway, so my goals of low 9's on pump wont really get a shot to happen. I plan to run 1/8 mile alot and coast thru to keep tech's happy for now and when car feels good, i'll let it go and get warned..

But I'm not sure what direction mycar is heading, I want to run street rims with radials instead of a drag setup. It will remain a footbrake car for now. So it just wont be competitive even tho it has power. I dont think it will leave that hard and wont hook up that well if I run 18-19" radials only. I likely will need two sets of tires again which I want to avoid
Old 06-07-2012, 01:49 PM

Car: '86 Grand National
Engine: LZ9????
Transmission: 2004R
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Your right Joe, I guess I just took it to heart because I've been a member for so long, and always provide tech whenever I can. No names were mentioned, and to be honest I'd rather just forget it even happened at this point...
welcome back

if you have your thread somewhere else id like to know so i can keep tabs on it
Old 06-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Supreme Member

Engine: 3xx ci tubo
Transmission: 4L60E & 4L80E

I pulled the stock 305 awhile back and installed the 305 from the first build; 218/218 Lunati Cam, PTC-3000 Stall Speed, heavily modified 416 heads, siamesed TPI setup, and 60-lb injectors...
Sounds like a nice setup. Can't wait to see how it goes.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: BBC 509 Merlin ii 9.6:1 pump gas
Transmission: ATI pro th350 sfi case. TSI 5500 st
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 4:10s

Id like to go but I dont think my V6 stands a chance against a turbobuick or a turbo V8 thirdgen.

On a side note Rob, I dont agree with what happend on the other board either at all. You've been very helpful in my build. Thanks again man!

Last edited by fasteddi; 06-07-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I may be down if it will be a good turnout... and my 305 car is finished. Still tinkering.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ
My car aint done but is very close. Problem is theres so much to do the rest of this year with the tune and getting car setup right, that I'm not sure if I'll beable to go full tilt on it yet. We shall see, I dont want to rush things but I'm only caged to 10.0 anyway, so my goals of low 9's on pump wont really get a shot to happen. I plan to run 1/8 mile alot and coast thru to keep tech's happy for now and when car feels good, i'll let it go and get warned..

But I'm not sure what direction mycar is heading, I want to run street rims with radials instead of a drag setup. It will remain a footbrake car for now. So it just wont be competitive even tho it has power. I dont think it will leave that hard and wont hook up that well if I run 18-19" radials only. I likely will need two sets of tires again which I want to avoid...
You will more than likely get away with sub-tens due to it being a track rental, they will let you go so long as it isn't e-town, because e-town really enforces the rules, which I guess is a good thing to be honest. But the fact that it will be a rental should give you some leeway. Most of the MAGNA guys aren't full caged, so they too fall into the same trap. We will definitely need you for this...

Originally Posted by 34blazer
welcome back

if you have your thread somewhere else id like to know so i can keep tabs on it
Hey Joe! I was going to throw up a build thread on turbobuick.com, but it didn't feel right so I stopped. Figured I would update my thread on this website when it is all done and ready to run. The tuning has been fighting me thus far lol...

Originally Posted by junkcltr
Sounds like a nice setup. Can't wait to see how it goes.
I converted to a fat cap HEI, and the Flamethrower coil/ignition module install has helped boost tremendously. Could only imagine what actual coil packs would do. Not too crazy about running a flat tappet cam from running a roller cam, but it defintiely gets the job done either way...

Originally Posted by fasteddi
Id like to go but I dont think my V6 stands a chance against a turbobuick or a turbo V8 thirdgen.

On a side note Rob, I dont agree with what happend on the other board either at all. You've been very helpful in my build. Thanks again man!
Your V6 is getting faster and faster Mark, it's going to be nice to see you run your first 12 second pass soon. You should come run with us either way, because there should be some stock Grand Nationals wanting to run, and they run easy 12's, so it will be a good match up for you. Once you get that alky system tuned you'll be knocking on the elevens' door...

Wasn't your fault at all in that build thread. It's no biggie...

Originally Posted by TwinTurboROC
I may be down if it will be a good turnout... and my 305 car is finished. Still tinkering.
I hear you about the tinkering, it never seems to stop with these cars. We should be able to get at least 15 cars or so, and that is more than enough, so definitely consider running. Sad part though is that the TTA crowd will be running against us...
Old 06-09-2012, 01:47 AM

If I do bring the 305 i wont be pushing crack boost though. Crap i think as is, a stock honda civic could put a whoppin on it. Can't promise ill be of any "et worthy" help.

And how are the TTA against us, there in a F body. Maybe i should swap a 3.8 turbo into a yugo and roll w the buick guys.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

If I do bring the 305 i wont be pushing crack boost though. Crap i think as is, a stock honda civic could put a whoppin on it. Can't promise ill be of any "et worthy" help....
Why so slow? At 15-psi, with the right heads and cam, low elevens all day long...

And how are the TTA against us, there in a F body. Maybe i should swap a 3.8 turbo into a yugo and roll w the buick guys.
When is the last time you seen a TTA owner posting on this forum to talk about their car? You won't, and that is because they are all on TurboBuick(s).com. Even during Buick vs Ford events, you will see TTA's siding with the Buicks. Hell, they have a hybrid section devoted to the Buick, so a Yugo is honestly no exception. It's cool though either way...

Last edited by Street Lethal; 06-09-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Supreme Member

Your V6 is getting faster and faster Mark, it's going to be nice to see you run your first 12 second pass soon. You should come run with us either way, because there should be some stock Grand Nationals wanting to run, and they run easy 12's, so it will be a good match up for you. Once you get that alky system tuned you'll be knocking on the elevens' door...

Wasn't your fault at all in that build thread. It's no biggie...

Im hoping for 12's with that alky too. Id be extatic with that. 13.30's is getting there as of last weekend.

Depending on where its at and what day of the week(im only avalible on the weekends) I'd love to come out and see those cars and show them what Ive got. Keep me updated Rob. I live in Ohio, so im not sure where you were looking to set up at. But if its within 6 hrs or less from here I'd come out.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:08 PM

Why so slow? At 15-psi, with the right heads and cam, low elevens all day long...

When is the last time you seen a TTA owner posting on this forum to talk about their car? You won't, and that is because they are all on TurboBuick(s).com. Even during Buick vs Ford events, you will see TTA's siding with the Buicks. Hell, they have a hybrid section devoted to the Buick, so a Yugo is honestly no exception. It's cool though either way...
Slow cuz its safe. Stock 305 right now. Its a good thing to, I was talking with some buddies last night and thank god they brought up afr ratios. I been tuning NA motors so much, i prolly would tuned 12.5 to 1 instead of the 11.5-11.7 if i didnt bring it up.

Honestly im entertaining rebuilding the 305 w forged pistons, even though i could just toss the vett block i have in it. IDK. Too much work. To much laziness.

What track you thinking about Atco? Etown? Island?
Old 06-28-2012, 05:33 PM

Car: 1986 sports coupe, 1984 F41
Engine: 3.8L Turbo SFI, stock 305
Transmission: 700 R4, 700 R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42:1, 3.08:1

this would be a very cool event... not sure who I would be racing for... seeing I have a turbo buick powerd 86 sports coupe... Too bad I'm too far away.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:00 PM

Car: 02 SS
Engine: 408 TT (1108rw-93/m1)6700rpm
Transmission: TH400(slipping)
Axle/Gears: 12bolt/3.42(whines😠)

Sounds cool,
But seriously, how many actual quick forced induction 3rd gens are out there?
I see alot of turbo and blown 4th gens, but cant remember last time i saw a quick fi 3rd gen. Gn came with turbos from the factory. So no shortage there.
I think the turbo buicks gonna have the w on this one.
Last gm vs ford deal i went to. 90% of the quick running gm cars, were ls power.
Dont even remember seeing a 3rd gen that day.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by NemeSS-TyranT
Sounds cool,
I see alot of turbo and blown 4th gens, but cant remember last time i saw a quick fi 3rd gen. Gn came with turbos from the factory. So no shortage there.
I think the turbo buicks gonna have the w on this one.
Last gm vs ford deal i went to. 90% of the quick running gm cars, were ls power.
Dont even remember seeing a 3rd gen that day.

To answer your question, there not alot of "quick" non 3.8 thirdgen as there are compared to other cars. This is partly the fact that no one makes a good thirdgen turbo kit. YES I KNOW THERES THE KNOCK OFF BBS ONE AND THE OBX FOWARD FACING HEADERS. Half the problem is that there's not that many guys that want to do a thirdgen up. You ask anyone out there who's in the power scene, and you'll get the put a LS or LQ9 in it bs. Granted they make shocking power for "stock production blocks". There almost as cheap as SBC1's to do up. But the fact of the matter is that there is just so few thirdgen's out there. And remember within that group even a smaller amount that are doing fast cars. And then even fewer doing forced induction setups.

Also remember something the turbo buick guys will have alot more money into their cars than we do. All their stuff is "off the shelf parts".

I always say i'd rather drive a "shitbox" thirdgen any day of the week than anything else for a "sports car". I have had more fun in it than anything else short of my old hyundai elantra. There's just something to it that makes it great. I don't have technology making me think I am a better driver or driving the car for me. It has shitloads of interior space and I don't feel like im cramed into a newer car with plastic and garbage surrorounding me. It has what i call "just enough technology". My black car handles like a crackhead on rails. It's sickening with the right knowledge and parts what you can do with them. But then again, it's wanting to do it. I've always said i should just sell them and get a first gen, or a honda. Ive gotten so many "wrong parts" and such a shitty selection of things to buy that sometimes I really keep thinking about the "forgotten generation" moniker that we have been given by the other communities. But at the end of the day, "to each their own".
Old 06-29-2012, 05:13 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by neilb
seeing I have a turbo buick powerd 86 sports coupe...
Boo...

Originally Posted by NemeSS-TyranT
There are quite a few out there, the majority of them don't post on this forum though. Got a guy here with a 3rd gen who lives in my township and races over at seaside running a 383 w/F1 Procharger, and that thing is death. Very fast. Those Buick guys are down to race anyone, and it would be nice to show up with at least ten turbocharged/supercharged cars, so if we can enough guys to want to represent... then it's on.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:22 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Also remember something the turbo buick guys will have alot more money into their cars than we do. All their stuff is "off the shelf parts"...
Very true, but remember that the LC2 needs to run twenty plus pounds of boost to go anywhere, and more boost means more heat. SBC's only need to run half that to run the same numbers, so cast parts are able to survive. Sure, they are running alky to help keep things cool on their side, but so can we, and it's very easy to tune for...
Old 06-29-2012, 05:35 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

this would be a very cool event... not sure who I would be racing for... seeing I have a turbo buick powerd 86 sports coupe... Too bad I'm too far away.
BTW, here is a very clean one that I think is for sale in the classified section...;

Half the problem is that there's not that many guys that want to do a thirdgen up. You ask anyone out there who's in the power scene, and you'll get the put a LS or LQ9 in it bs. Granted they make shocking power for "stock production blocks". There almost as cheap as SBC1's to do up. But the fact of the matter is that there is just so few thirdgen's out there. And remember within that group even a smaller amount that are doing fast cars. And then even fewer doing forced induction setups...
You know what it is, guys today don't realize how easy they have it when it comes to tuning and boost. Once upon a time, we had to literally pull teeth to get any information about tuning OBD1 and turbo charging SBC's that by the time anything was released, the LSX engines were already becoming more and more common. Even their PCM's rank right up their, if not better, than the XFI/BS3. Most guys just gave up on the SBC and moved on. We are obviously not the first to turbocharge a 305-LB9, but once I get this thing dialed in the way I want, and members soon see just how fast she is, I think we'll see a lot more turbo 305's hit the scene. I can't wait to get some videos up, lotta jaws are gonna drop lol...
Old 06-29-2012, 09:41 AM

BTW, here is a very clean one that I think is for sale in the classified section...;

You know what it is, guys today don't realize how easy they have it when it comes to tuning and boost. Once upon a time, we had to literally pull teeth to get any information about tuning OBD1 and turbo charging SBC's that by the time anything was released, the LSX engines were already becoming more and more common. Even their PCM's rank right up their, if not better, than the XFI/BS3. Most guys just gave up on the SBC and moved on. We are obviously not the first to turbocharge a 305-LB9, but once I get this thing dialed in the way I want, and members soon see just how fast she is, I think we'll see a lot more turbo 305's hit the scene. I can't wait to get some videos up, lotta jaws are gonna drop lol...
the ls is a awesome engine. I personally dont see any reason not to run it. I own 4th gens. But im lookin for a hardtop iroc. Ive alredy built a 5.3 turbo 89 z28. I got it running, ran it a few times,then parted it. It was ttops and i wanted to do hotparts different.
Also used a truck and a fbody manifold for the hotparts.
I ended up selling the whole car.
Anyway, now im looking for iroc.to make some serious hp. I have dd, not concerned with mpg and such. Engine<
09' 4.8 shortblock(got for 500$, sold 243 heads for 400$)
02' 317 heads (can run 20+psi on pump gas on this motor with these heads)
Head studs
Fast 90/90 intake/tb( i got one leftover, but the stock ls6 intake has been proven to make 1000+)
I have a tc78, good to 800bhp.
Gm ls9 7layer mls metal head gaskets( designed for boost by the general, proven to 30psig, about 120$ shipped. One of the best ls parts available imo)
stock.pcm that can control 80+lb. Hi imp. Inj., stock cnp ignition that can light off serious psig. I for one know this motor will more than handle that turbo i have no sweat.
Not a knock on ur build, but i seriously doubt you can ask the same from a cast iron heads, cast bottom end sbc. just more value for the buck with a ls
I luv 3rd gens and i wish i saw more quick ls forced induction
Ls cars. Im actually giving.up on my t/a for a 3rd gen.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:28 AM

Honestly I personally don't care for all the crazy modern tech like what the LS has to offer. There's something about a pig crapbox 305 or even a 2.8 v6 that i like. I has character. It has a attitude. Dam near every thirdgen I have seen has something unique about it. Ranging from pin striping, to some awkward thing the previous owner has done to it. They have soul to them. Every time you see them. **** every time someone sees me and the car they always stop to tell me how their wife,sister,brother,friend,uncle,dad,etc had one and how wonderfull it was. And i have the same story about my car. I never hear LS owners talk about that. I never hear vette owners (except c3's) owners talk about that. As it stand I'm putting my black iroc back to STOCK for now (had it since i was in high school, like 12 years). I hate it now. Its faster than a crack head, but it has no soul, no attitude.

Another thing is the fact that 99% of the people that mod thirdgens are just a bunch of uneducated (automotive wise) people. No, a flowmaster and chip isn't the be all and end all of the modification spectrum but they think so. Im not knocking them for not knowing better, but the fact is thats what the motorsport world thinks about us.

My mustang friends were shocked how many "iroc-z" powerplants there were when they only had 1 v8. And then they were shocked that 350s and the 305 5speed cars were as fast or faster than their cars. Remember you can get them with anemic tbi v8 all the way through the 350 tpi. That is also another stigmata we have to deal with, and people turn away from these cars just for that one reason. (besides the fact that HCI setups on stangs tend to run them into the mid 12's)

Maybe its just me. Maybe its just the nostalgia getting to me. Or maybe its just the fact that these cars have something special that many people dont see.

Btw Street, 305 TC vs 305 TC one day? if i don't blow up someting?
Old 06-30-2012, 03:23 AM

Thats a big part.of y i want an iroc.
Alot of ppl write them off. Assume its just a slow 305 tpi.or something.
Its.not like a 4th gen ws6 or ss, which is expected to be quick.
a low 10 sec or hi 9 sec 3rd will surprise alot of folks.
I enjoy running down cobras, mach1s and other mod motor fords in my ta.
But i would rather do it in an iroc, much.more insult to injury for them.
Ive noticed.stang guys are the worst.offenders of 3rd gens.
With 4th gens, they expect it to be quick.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:07 PM

Car: 1986 sports coupe, 1984 F41
Engine: 3.8L Turbo SFI, stock 305
Transmission: 700 R4, 700 R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42:1, 3.08:1

Has anyone actually signed up for this? I'd be curious to see the cars/people who are participating. Although my car is buick powered, I'm kinda rooting for the 3rd gen crowd.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:54 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Has anyone actually signed up for this? I'd be curious to see the cars/people who are participating. Although my car is buick powered, I'm kinda rooting for the 3rd gen crowd...
Whenever we can get get a good ten to fifteen cars on our side that are willing to run it will definitely happen. We have two options, we can rent out the track which will cost $200 dollars per car guaranteeing back to back runs, or we car run them on a regular track night costing less than $50 dollars per car but then have to deal with all of the other people that are there racing too...
Old 07-25-2012, 06:06 PM
Supreme Member

What track are you looking at??? $50 dollars with other cars involved to seems pricey..you guys should come out to Summit Motorsports Park here in Ohio...

Track rental is $150 a day with a minimum of 15 cars though, but its arguably one of the best tracks arround and I can attest to that. Too bad theres no Turbo or Thirdgen ppl close to Ohio.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

What track are you looking at???
Trying to make a healthy compromise to make it easier for guys in New York, out of curiosity, how far are you from Cecil County Raceway?
Old 07-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Supreme Member

About 8 Hrs roughly. Id consider going though, could also get a few thirdgen guys I know at the track to come out. Nothing faster then 12 sec street cars though?
Old 07-25-2012, 07:42 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Nothing faster then 12 sec street cars though?
Grand Nationals will run high 11's bone stock...
Old 07-26-2012, 03:52 AM
Supreme Member

Grand Nationals will run high 11's bone stock...
I know. Most of my friends that have faster cars, have trailor queens only.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:32 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

I know. Most of my friends that have faster cars, have trailor queens only.
At 15-psi running meth with that turbo you have your good for solid 12's with your setup right now if you can get it to launch properly, if you want to see an eleven at the same boost level you'll need a better (not necessarily bigger, though) turbo. Like I said in the other thread, come borrow the T66 that I just yanked off of the engine for a day, you'll never want to take it off...
Old 07-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Supreme Member

At 15-psi running meth with that turbo you have your good for solid 12's with your setup right now if you can get it to launch properly, if you want to see an eleven at the same boost level you'll need a better (not necessarily bigger, though) turbo. Like I said in the other thread, come borrow the T66 that I just yanked off of the engine for a day, you'll never want to take it off...
Well if I ever get time to get the last header on the car and tune it I was hoping to mabey just crack the 12's..very high ones. You get us to come out to that track all day, I can tune my car in no time at all, I could always rent that turbo for a few passes... I know I do need a better on in time though, hopefully this winter with those tubular headers from dave. Dammm cars and there parts...
Old 07-26-2012, 09:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 RS 89 iroc 87 firebird
Engine: 3.1 Turbo/ 355 twin turbo
Transmission: a4 w/ 4500 stall/ a4 / t5
Axle/Gears: strange s60 /w 3:42's

Well if I ever get time to get the last header on the car and tune it I was hoping to mabey just crack the 12's..very high ones. You get us to come out to that track all day, I can tune my car in no time at all, I could always rent that turbo for a few passes... I know I do need a better on in time though, hopefully this winter with those tubular headers from dave. Dammm cars and there parts...
lol rob ive alrteady linked him to a hybrid 66mm turbo