Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Borg Warner or Holset single install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Borg Warner or Holset single install?

Needing some real world experience/opinions- this subject has been beat to death but the application isn’t typical. I have a 1989 Chevy full size 4x4, 355cid Edelbrock Vortec TPI, FlowTech Induction roller cam, 700r4, 3:73 diff. Torque has been pretty good with the Hi-Flow’s.
Having problems with a damaged intake valve on my RHS vortec 2.02/1.6 so just elected to install a set of AFR 0912 vortec’s with a FIRST TPI unit, MAP based ecm is a Dynamic EFI 7747 with WB. Block is a 4 bolt main- studs, as well as head studs, Mahle forgings, stock crank and Scat rods. With iron heads the compression is +-9:1 and this will take a slight hit with 65cc AFR’s. The engine has less than 10k on it otherwise I would bump the compression to 10:1 and call it a day.
Cruise on the highway is around 1800rpm with towing 2400rpm, I’ll call 5800rpm the shift point.
So I was considering a single turbo to spice things up with the emphasis on highway and towing performance, I’ve decided to look at oe turbo’s Borg Warner S300/S400 or H2 series Holset- my tuner suggested a HX35- my reading suggests this may be too small. I have the old Edelbrock TES shorty headers and Y-pipe and was going to leave the drivers side as is, reusing the crossover pipe, build a log style manifold with the crossover coming up from behind and below with the turbo mounted on top above the center exhaust ports. The oil drain will go to the fuel pump cover, the cold air intake will be off a 6.5L GM turbo diesel that fits this body style. There will be an intercooler with possible AlkyControl water/washer fluid injection. And the full suite of blow off and wastegate valves. Anyway I’m asking for experience from those who have run these turbo’s and are satisfied or wished they would have changed to something else. Planning on sub 11psi and a little lag is no concern as the natural torque of the engine should be good to go.
Another option is a 406cid a friend is trying to sell- put the AFR’s on that with a decent roller cam. But I’m wondering if fuel mileage would be killer.

Last edited by dfarr67; 05-22-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Borg Warner or Holset single install?

Originally Posted by dfarr67
Needing some real world experience/opinions- this subject has been beat to death but the application isn’t typical. I have a 1989 Chevy full size 4x4, 355cid Edelbrock Vortec TPI, FlowTech Induction roller cam, 700r4, 3:73 diff. Torque has been pretty good with the Hi-Flow’s.
Having problems with a damaged intake valve on my RHS vortec 2.02/1.6 so just elected to install a set of AFR 0912 vortec’s with a FIRST TPI unit, MAP based ecm is a Dynamic EFI 7747 with WB. Block is a 4 bolt main- studs, as well as head studs, Mahle forgings, stock crank and Scat rods. With iron heads the compression is +-9:1 and this will take a slight hit with 65cc AFR’s. The engine has less than 10k on it otherwise I would bump the compression to 10:1 and call it a day.
Cruise on the highway is around 1800rpm with towing 2400rpm, I’ll call 5800rpm the shift point.
So I was considering a single turbo to spice things up with the emphasis on highway and towing performance, I’ve decided to look at oe turbo’s Borg Warner S300/S400 or H2 series Holset- my tuner suggested a HX35- my reading suggests this may be too small. I have the old Edelbrock TES shorty headers and Y-pipe and was going to leave the drivers side as is, reusing the crossover pipe, build a log style manifold with the crossover coming up from behind and below with the turbo mounted on top above the center exhaust ports. The oil drain will go to the fuel pump cover, the cold air intake will be off a 6.5L GM turbo diesel that fits this body style. There will be an intercooler with possible AlkyControl water/washer fluid injection. And the full suite of blow off and wastegate valves. Anyway I’m asking for experience from those who have run these turbo’s and are satisfied or wished they would have changed to something else.
Another option is a 406cid a friend is trying to sell- put the AFR’s on that with a decent roller cam. But I’m wondering if fuel mileage would be killer.
WAY too small on the 35 and the S300 unless you're using a pair. You'll puke HGs out in all probability as the EGTs spike through the roof. If you're going OE turbos I'd be looking S400 or a "TV7/8XXX" unit personally, maybe an HX60.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:49 PM

Thanks for the reply, it's all packaging and twins would probably be easier to size but the single should fit better for me. Buddy likes to play with *****'s and Volkswagens- so his off the cuff choice was small but he mentioned the quality is good on these- that's what I thought too. I was looking at the HX50 and 55, are the H2's an older series and are the physical size of these bloated compared to something I can source from say a Precision?
Old 05-22-2012, 10:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 RS 89 iroc 87 firebird
Engine: 3.1 Turbo/ 355 twin turbo
Transmission: a4 w/ 4500 stall/ a4 / t5
Axle/Gears: strange s60 /w 3:42's

both the holsets and bw's are great quality cant go wrong with either
most ppl dont liek to hear this but another option would be a ebay gt45 turbocharger
these have proven themselves to be very reliable units and they run about 300 bucks each
Old 05-23-2012, 08:13 AM

When I was a kid I remember the Jap stuff as being junk- so it's the Chinese turn to up the quality I suppose. This is why I chose the oe- as it's pretty good stuff designed for high mileage, maybe not cutting edge of the aftermarket- that said, running an intercooler would help filter the junk out before the engine if it decided to come apart.

For your SBC Set up and horsepower requirements will suggest a 60 series turbocharger with a 62-1 trim compressor wheel and a 62mm turbine wheel with a .70 a/r turbine housing.
This unit is priced at: $849.00 and $1299.00 for the ceramic ball bearing upgraded version. -Turbonetics

Last edited by dfarr67; 05-23-2012 at 08:41 AM.