Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Turbo sizing

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo sizing

Hi
I am looking into going down the 383 stroker twin turbo route aimed at about 1000whp with 8:1 compression. I need a little help on the turbo sizing as i am very new to turbos. If anyone would like to help me out with this question it would be awsome! Thanks in advance...
P.S. i have been looking at some of the turbos on turbokits.com and i am leaning twards the garret ball bearing turbos and have a few questions like. What is a the diffrence between all of the turbine housing like t3/t4 drop in and things like this? in advance!!!!!

Last edited by FoxRider9096; 05-25-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 3xx ci tubo
Transmission: 4L60E & 4L80E
Re: Turbo sizing

For a 383ci and 1000 HP you only want at T6 housing if single, T4 if twins. Forget the T3 & T4 stuff for singles.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:11 PM

So...... I am lost and have no clue what these numbers mean is there a special diffrence in betwen all of them??? What twin turbos would you suggest that are garret and ball bearing to use to hit 1000whp and how much boost will i need?? Sorry for my ignorence on this subject.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 372 Likes on 301 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

Did you read the Garrett websites' turbo tech articles? turbos 101, 102, and 103 That will get you information on how to size them.

FWIW, I think the GT35R's could do it. Or GT40's. basically a T4 frame, somewhere around 61-64mm on compressor wheel should be enough, but you could go as high as 70mm and still work ok. Depending on how nasty you get with the cam/heads setup, it should do 1000whp on 20-25psi, all depending.

Look at this guys thread... he has a twin 61mm setup, 383 that made 1033 whp on 24psi with meth injection through 6spd manual. He used turbonetics... That would be about equal to a GT3582 turbo by garrett

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/powe...ally-dyno.html
Old 05-26-2011, 09:27 AM

Thanks man i read the articles on garret yesterday and they seemed like hyrogliphics but now i think i have a grasp on the sizing and everything and thanks for the recomendations on the turbo these were the same ones i was looking at!
Old 05-26-2011, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ
Did you read the Garrett websites' turbo tech articles? turbos 101, 102, and 103 That will get you information on how to size them.

FWIW, I think the GT35R's could do it. Or GT40's. basically a T4 frame, somewhere around 61-64mm on compressor wheel should be enough, but you could go as high as 70mm and still work ok. Depending on how nasty you get with the cam/heads setup, it should do 1000whp on 20-25psi, all depending.

Look at this guys thread... he has a twin 61mm setup, 383 that made 1033 whp on 24psi with meth injection through 6spd manual. He used turbonetics... That would be about equal to a GT3582 turbo by garrett

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/powe...ally-dyno.html
what AR would you recomend and are the turbonetics any better??
My main goal for the car is something i can hit the track with and on the weekends drive around so i really want it to be street manared but still have the ***** of a 1000whp vehicle if you know what i mean....
Old 05-26-2011, 11:43 PM
Supreme Member

Probably around a .68 to a .82 or so A/R. Will give good spool but not be too restrictive I dont think. My buddy uses twin 62-1's on his LS2 motor and made 817whp with .68 a/r's. Darn near full boost by 3500 rpm with a stick, seeing boost earlier than that too. Its torquey I got .68's on my twin 70mm 401 motor. I wish I had .82's but the .68's make it a fun car. Not near 1000whp but it probably is capable of that if I crank up the boost. I generally just keep it at 14-15psi and havent gone much higher. Just a few accidental 18psi runs on the street and once on dyno, and I think just one time at the track by accident Darn manual boost controllers, never accurate
Old 05-27-2011, 06:42 AM

Hi there, feel free to check out our turbo sizing article and turbo calculator

a T3/T4 is probably going to be restrictive on the exhaust side for your application. T3/T4's are originally intended for 1.8 litre four cylinders trying to spool up an 800hp T4

If you end up between the GT35 and GT40 look at the GT37's (that's the 30/40 hybrid)

if you're looking for spool I second the notion to go for a twin setup over a larger single. If you do go single (since you care about spool) try a divided housing setup or look into halvening your aspect ratio with one of these:

http://www.spracingonline.com/images/products/3643.jpg

Sound Performance Quick Spool Valves

It's basically a boost activated actuator that halvens your aspect ratio on a larger turbo at lower boost levels to help spool. It's boost actuated (which can be controlled with a solenoid valve and boost controlled by your ECM or AEM or whatever you're using to tune and so you can have the full A/R of a larger turbo when you're at the track going for 1000hp including the freed up 30 or so hp on the top end of the powerband from the better flow of the larger A/R setup, but turn it down to something more responsive for street boost levels.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:10 AM

Probably around a .68 to a .82 or so A/R. Will give good spool but not be too restrictive I dont think. My buddy uses twin 62-1's on his LS2 motor and made 817whp with .68 a/r's. Darn near full boost by 3500 rpm with a stick, seeing boost earlier than that too. Its torquey I got .68's on my twin 70mm 401 motor. I wish I had .82's but the .68's make it a fun car. Not near 1000whp but it probably is capable of that if I crank up the boost. I generally just keep it at 14-15psi and havent gone much higher. Just a few accidental 18psi runs on the street and once on dyno, and I think just one time at the track by accident Darn manual boost controllers, never accurate
Yeah i am leaning twards the .82. And i am still lost on all of the turbine housings?? Would a t04 flanged 3" 4 bolt be enough?? our should i go with the t04 on center?? I just dont understand the diffrence inbetween all of them??
Thank you for all your help!!!
Old 05-27-2011, 10:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum

Well... I guess I'm going to spoil some of the fun.

So how is anyone really going to recommend a turbo without knowing the powerband, heads, cam... on that 383? Yea, you can guess, but the fact is that a 383 with a TPI and stockish heads and cam will need a very different setup then a 383 with a super victor or motown intake, 227 AFR's and matching cam. On either one of those I'd probably recommend different setups with different headers/manifolds...
Old 05-28-2011, 12:33 AM
Supreme Member

Good point. Lot of assuming in here, but when someone mentions 1000whp, that usually implies there will be good heads and a decent cam in it with a decent intake on top
Old 05-28-2011, 12:44 PM

I will be using the holley avenger stealth ram efi system with AFR stage 1 70cc heads that i will have ported and polished by dennis wells here in dallas and idk about cam yet does anyone have any suggestions on a cam either i really want something with a hard lopey idle
Old 05-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Supreme Member

Good point. Lot of assuming in here, but when someone mentions 1000whp, that usually implies there will be good heads and a decent cam in it with a decent intake on top
yea, but a lot of people that say 1000hp (and don't mention bhp or at the wheels or something) really can't tell or even really know the difference between a 500 and 1000bhp car, and big boost and a well tuned setup can be a game changer, especially in the 400-800hp range (there's a lot of absolute junk that gets into that range and even goes quite fast at the track)
Old 05-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by FoxRider9096
I will be using the holley avenger stealth ram efi system with AFR stage 1 70cc heads that i will have ported and polished by dennis wells here in dallas and idk about cam yet does anyone have any suggestions on a cam either i really want something with a hard lopey idle
Isn't stage 1 just a port finish, it could be any of their heads? The avenger stealth ram setup is pretty mild, works well on a stock engine, so again... neither really says much about your setup.

with 8:1 and aluminum heads even a smallish cam will lope, but nothing will have the crisp sound and feeling of an NA race engine

Right now I'm reading/guessing "mild 383 which if it's going to get anywhere near what you're talking about will need BIG boost and you'll probably be just as happy with 600hp..."

Last edited by 83 Crossfire TA; 05-28-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by 83 Crossfire TA
Isn't stage 1 just a port finish, it could be any of their heads? The avenger stealth ram setup is pretty mild, works well on a stock engine, so again... neither really says much about your setup.

with 8:1 and aluminum heads even a smallish cam will lope, but nothing will have the crisp sound and feeling of an NA race engine

Right now I'm reading/guessing "mild 383 which if it's going to get anywhere near what you're talking about will need BIG boost and you'll probably be just as happy with 600hp..."
No its just the heads the way they were when they come out of the mold and i am gonna run 7:1 our 7.5:1 and i had a cam picked out when i was gonna go centri sc but everyone has told me the best way to go is tt so thats what im doing and i have no idea on turbo cams?? But i will be having the heads cnc ported and thenhand ported to perfection so there will be no flow issues on the heads. and wich efi system would you prefer i was also looking at the fast xfi system for sbc and i would like to build my own but have no clue what sensors i will need our anything like that.....
Old 05-28-2011, 05:00 PM

here is my build thread
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engi...aro-build.html
I would also like to know everyones opinions on the turbonetics turbos i have been looking at a few gtk 650's.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Supreme Member

I hope you understand that I'm not trying to be difficult, it's just that so far the way you've asked this amounts to just a little more detail than "I'm building a car, I want to go fast, I want to use 2 turbos..."

Right now we could give you a dozen different answers and they'd all be correct within the confines of the details that you've given us, and they all could be wrong WRT to the actual combination you're building.

I suspect that you're going to end up with something in the gt35 or gt40 range out of the current garret turbos, or something like a old school 62-1 or 70. If it was me, I like holsets off production diesels and I'd probably be looking at something like a pair of HX35 or Hy35 (on the small side but would be fun), newer 341 or 351, or HX40's (probably what I would do since I think I have a pair in the basement that would work).
Old 05-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by FoxRider9096
here is my build thread
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engi...aro-build.html
I would also like to know everyones opinions on the turbonetics turbos i have been looking at a few gtk 650's.
So that gives a little more info, but something about it sits kind of funny with me, making this hard to answer:
- at 16 I know that you know better than a lot of us and feel that what you've asked is a reasonable question, but believe me when I tell you that even the smartest 16y/o starts to realize how little they knew when they were 16 as they get older. I'm not only talking about how knowledge about how to accomplish what you want, but about what you really want...
- why do you want 1000hp? What is the goal, just to be able to say "I have a 1000hp Camaro?" I never got the point of building a dyno queen but if that's what you want then great, if you want something else then I'd like to hear what it is.
- 1000hp street car is somewhat useless, and in a race car that's an 8second car, one that will need a serious $$$ chassis... I would argue that unless you have rich parents, a 16y/o will never put together the money to make this work, if you have the kind of money that is necessary to do it then you'd probably end up money and time ahead by just paying one of the big time builders to build you an engine and not listen to any of us

That all said, if you're serious about getting into serious cars, I'd recommend a totally different approach and build. I'd suggest you go much more modest and build up the chassis first with a mild engine combination that will get you into the 12's, 11's... as you upgrade things. Along the way you'll learn a lot about this stuff so you won't be asking these questions like this when you're ready to build something, and you'll have a much better idea of what you really want, why and how to get there in a few years. There are a few, really nice examples of people going this way on thirdgen.org. If you care to listen and can't find them I'm sure a few people will be quite willing to help you out.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:09 AM

So that gives a little more info, but something about it sits kind of funny with me, making this hard to answer:
- at 16 I know that you know better than a lot of us and feel that what you've asked is a reasonable question, but believe me when I tell you that even the smartest 16y/o starts to realize how little they knew when they were 16 as they get older. I'm not only talking about how knowledge about how to accomplish what you want, but about what you really want...
- why do you want 1000hp? What is the goal, just to be able to say "I have a 1000hp Camaro?" I never got the point of building a dyno queen but if that's what you want then great, if you want something else then I'd like to hear what it is.
- 1000hp street car is somewhat useless, and in a race car that's an 8second car, one that will need a serious $$$ chassis... I would argue that unless you have rich parents, a 16y/o will never put together the money to make this work, if you have the kind of money that is necessary to do it then you'd probably end up money and time ahead by just paying one of the big time builders to build you an engine and not listen to any of us

That all said, if you're serious about getting into serious cars, I'd recommend a totally different approach and build. I'd suggest you go much more modest and build up the chassis first with a mild engine combination that will get you into the 12's, 11's... as you upgrade things. Along the way you'll learn a lot about this stuff so you won't be asking these questions like this when you're ready to build something, and you'll have a much better idea of what you really want, why and how to get there in a few years. There are a few, really nice examples of people going this way on thirdgen.org. If you care to listen and can't find them I'm sure a few people will be quite willing to help you out.
Its not about saying i got a 1000hp car... My whole familly is a dodge family and they all think fi is a joke... My dad has a all motor 72' road runner that runs low 9's..... I want to prove them wrong and build i turbo'd car that will basically rape his and the rest of my fam's.... I wanted to do something diffrent and be able to say i have a turbo'd 383 stroker that puts 1000 horse to the ground.... And i know a guy with a 1200whp turbo'd 2jz supra that is his dd so i know it can be done.... I am new to turbo's and basically need to know the esentials of the install..... Im not rich by any means just have a summer job and many many many many parts to sell and i plan on taking a few years to complete this...... I also want to be able to walk over to all the 1000hp car owners at the races in "Mexico" be able to say i built it unlike most of them!!!!!
If you get what i mean and i hope im not bieng to wordy.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:15 AM
Supreme Member

Well, there is no way that someone with a summer job and some bike parts asking the questions that you're asking is going to build a reliable 1000hp car and matching chassis. I have the ability to build almost everything necessary, I've built an MS and similar electronics, I have a Bridgeport, lathe, TIG, MIG, plasma cutter and a lot more standard tools, and I know what's involved, I should be able to pick out all the parts for all of it without anyone's help (I used to work at a speeds shop also, so I also know what exists and where to get it), and I'm telling you that I couldn't do what you're talking about for anything resembling a "summer job" budget, and I could literally build everything from pieces, probably have the appropriate turbo, injectors... sitting around...

I'll also bet that there are a lot of more conservative builds with a lot less power on this board and out there in general done by people that know what they're doing that will out run cars like your friends 1200 dd.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 88 camaro irocz
Engine: l98 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.77

Well, there is no way that someone with a summer job and some bike parts asking the questions that you're asking is going to build a reliable 1000hp car and matching chassis. I have the ability to build almost everything necessary, I've built an MS and similar electronics, I have a Bridgeport, lathe, TIG, MIG, plasma cutter and a lot more standard tools, and I know what's involved, I should be able to pick out all the parts for all of it without anyone's help (I used to work at a speeds shop also, so I also know what exists and where to get it), and I'm telling you that I couldn't do what you're talking about for anything resembling a "summer job" budget, and I could literally build everything from pieces, probably have the appropriate turbo, injectors... sitting around...

I'll also bet that there are a lot of more conservative builds with a lot less power on this board and out there in general done by people that know what they're doing that will out run cars like your friends 1200 dd.

brutal honesty ...gotta love it !