Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Working on a turbo junk drag car

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 91 rs
Engine: Blow through 383, 10 psi, xr288hr
Transmission: Manual th350 ATI 3000
Axle/Gears: 3.50 9"
Working on a turbo junk drag car

A friend of mine has a straight, well built, tube framed, four link, narrowed 9"

mustang

Hehe, excuse me. But we are rolling over talks of me building it since he never will. Those darn ford parts are just either weak or just so expensive. It will get some type of small block chevy. Either gen I,II, or a 5.3. Not sure yet but I have parts for the first two. This car is going to start out as cheap as possible and then upgrade as necessary.

I'm de-boosting my car and going stick so I'll have some FI stuff and a strong auto trans, strong converter, and he has an 88mm turbo from a semi. Appears to be in good tight shape.

The car is super light, so it shouldn't take too much power to make it a real blast.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 3xx ci tubo
Transmission: 4L60E & 4L80E
Re: Working on a turbo junk drag car

Originally Posted by Batass
A friend of mine has a straight, well built, tube framed, four link, narrowed 9"

mustang

Hehe, excuse me. But we are rolling over talks of me building it since he never will. Those darn ford parts are just either weak or just so expensive. It will get some type of small block chevy. Either gen I,II, or a 5.3. Not sure yet but I have parts for the first two. This car is going to start out as cheap as possible and then upgrade as necessary.

I'm de-boosting my car and going stick so I'll have some FI stuff and a strong auto trans, strong converter, and he has an 88mm turbo from a semi. Appears to be in good tight shape.

The car is super light, so it shouldn't take too much power to make it a real blast.
What brand is that 88mm from a Semi? That is VERY RARE for a semi.....almost unheard of. Usually only stuff like generators had turbos that big. The turbine should be giant. What is the flange and A/R? If it is non-wastegated and off a diesel then go with big block CI or giant converter and trans brake. Or simple nitrous to spool it.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:44 AM
Supreme Member

Its a Holset. I looked the part number up on the web and IIRC, its an HT3. It said it was 88mm. We haven't measured the turbine or compressor yet. Its a t6 flange. There's no wastegate on it. The turbine and compressor appear to be about the same size.

He wanted to use it for a 351 truck but I knew it was def too big for that. I'm even questionable about it being too big for a 5500 rpm stock sbc or a 6500 5.3. Its going to be drag only. I know a big converter would help, but I'm not sure how a big converter and a low rpm motor would work out.

We aren't set on using it or anything its just ideas for something we could throw together using stuff we just have lying around.

Last edited by Batass; 05-31-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:29 PM

No need to be embarrassed. Have some respect for the Mustang. And yeah the parts are a little spendy, and no the parts aren't week. The stock 5.0 is a tough little bastard. My brother has a 94 GT with some 4.10 gears and a Boost Brothers turbo kit T67, I think. Feeding an entirely stock 5.0. He drives the hell out of it and it makes 340 wheel HP and 410 lbs of torque (Yeah its been on a dyno) And it takes it like a champ.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum

tons of semis and large trucks have turbos in that size range. the HT3 (usually an HT3b) is more likely off of something like a garbage truck chassis, and i don't believe that it will actually have an inducer as large as 88mm, I believe that they're actually somewhere in the high 70's, I have one sitting in the basement I could measure...

If you're really looking for something that large then I'd look for something out of one of the bigger semis, and if you want a smaller turbine side you're looking for a wastegated application that is designed to meet more stringent emissions/particulate standards.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 83 Crossfire TA
tons of semis and large trucks have turbos in that size range. the HT3 (usually an HT3b) is more likely off of something like a garbage truck chassis, and i don't believe that it will actually have an inducer as large as 88mm, I believe that they're actually somewhere in the high 70's, I have one sitting in the basement I could measure...
I agree with the 70 something inducer. An 88mm is rare on something on the road. The 85mm detroit on the road is the largest I know of.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:25 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Benjam88
No need to be embarrassed. Have some respect for the Mustang. And yeah the parts are a little spendy, and no the parts aren't week. The stock 5.0 is a tough little bastard. My brother has a 94 GT with some 4.10 gears and a Boost Brothers turbo kit T67, I think. Feeding an entirely stock 5.0. He drives the hell out of it and it makes 340 wheel HP and 410 lbs of torque (Yeah its been on a dyno) And it takes it like a champ.
340 wheel hp is rather weak for a turbo v8. I'm sure its a blast to drive on the road, but thats not much of a thrill to drive down the track. A ford 5.0 will not handle substantial power. I'm no ford hater and I'm not purely brand loyal, but I leave the powerhouses to Chevy.

When I looked up the turbo online, a site listing its specs stated 88mm. If it acually is smaller than that, I will be THRILLED.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:23 AM
Supreme Member

You can measure the inducer without pulling the cover. Cut a piece of light cardboard (cereal box) a little bit wider than the inducer. Keep testing if it wil fit and trimming it down. Once it will fit then measure and take off 1 to 2mm for the wheel to housing clearance.