Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo questions

hello all. ive been on here a few times asking about boosting and i continue to find more questions the more i search ha ha. ok well i am wondering do i need an intank fuel pump to run a turbo? im planning on running atleast a 110gph mechanical fuel pump which can handle up to 600hp. will this work? also what size trubo should i run? i want it to begin spool around 1500 rpm if not lower and im not gunna go any further then 5500 to 6000. im loking at this turbo so let me know what u think
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GODZI...item2c524b95fe
also if you have a single turbo set up post pics
Old 01-20-2010, 02:12 AM

Car: f-150 super crew
Re: turbo questions

Your questions can not be answered with the information at hand. First of all what size motor are you going to use? Is it stock or modified? Are you going to run a tuned port set up, carb or TBI? Answer these questions and I can help you answer some of your questions. A fuel injection set up with a turbo requires the most fuel pressure and on any turbo setup the fuel pump is the last place to skimp. A stock 350 TPI could probably get away with an external bosch pump and stock fuel lines. A blow through carb set up requires less fuel pump but needs a boost sensitive regulator and return line from the regulator to the tank.

As far as spooling at 1500 that also depends on your motor combination. If you plan on running a single turbo you need to run atleast a 60mm wich will spool lower but is only good for about 400 or 500 hp. Spooling low also depends on your converter (automatic trans) and final gear ratio. Small twin turbo's is the way to make boost at low rpm like your asking. Spooling low is not that important. The important thing is how fast you want to go and how much power you want to make.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:04 AM

hello there. sorry i tottaly forgot to list that stuff. what i have right now, (which is what id like to run) is a 355 sbc. im planing to run a 750cfm blowthrough quick fuel carb with a single planem intake. the turbo i listed in the post above is the one id like to run. where do u think that would spool. and as far as top end im not looking to set any records imma water meth it and prolly run around 10 lbs of boost figured thad be safe with the water meth and the stock cast internals. as far as twins id like to stay away from those for now because money isnt exactly flowing right now as im in college and i know for the money i have to spend a single set up would give me more "bang for the buck". im planning to do sub frame connectors lower control arms and the spohn drag bar. i figure this can hold quite a bit of power but nothin real real insain. if you have any better ideas or input im completly welcome to that. im not hugly experienced with turbos. i know a little about a little but its mostly in diesel not gas. also if u think i can get away without putting a fuel pump in the tank that would be great. and as far as that regulator u were talkin about could u maybe throw up a link so i can see what ur talkin about. Thanks
Old 01-20-2010, 04:03 PM

That turbo you listed above is gone. It was a little big for what you want. I wouldn't go bigger than a 76mm inlet.

Here is a link to the regulator you need http://www.jegs.com/p/Aeromotive/Aer...50089/10002/-1

I would add a nice bosch external pump somewhere close to the tank. Just cut the fuel line along the frame and put the new pump there. Be sure to use a good relay and at least number 12 awg wire from the battery to the relay and from the relay to the pump so it gets enough voltage.

The only other suggestions I have is to call Pro systems for your carb. You only want to spend that money once. http://www.pro-system.com/. If you look at any of the top racers in NMCA if they have a carb it says prosystems on it.

As far as suspension items I would start with a set of mickey thompson dragradials the taller the sidewall the better and then add the parts you listed as needed. 3rd gens hook really well on good tires with stock suspension.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:06 PM

It seems that u need that regulator if u have an efi fuel pump as i dont. im going from carbd to carbd. and *** far as a 76mm turbo what kind of power could i get out of it do you think? also im at the very least doing sub frame conecters because third gens need them. as far as tires im going for a much more sleek look and to be honest hate the look of big sidewalls would a drag radial still be worth a crap?
Old 01-20-2010, 11:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: TT LS
Transmission: 4L80E
Axle/Gears: S60 3.54's

I remember reading some info from Procharger that a boost line needs to be put into a mechanical pump for it to supply the added fuel pressure for a blow-thru, and may still require a regulator like the one Sports Reporter suggested. A regulator doesn't care what kind of pump is supplying it, just that the regulator can be adjusted to the 3-10psi base pressure area and the supply is able to keep up with the engine demand.

I've seen a couple mustangs using a 76mm turbo running low 10's/high 9's in the 1/4-mile. That should be more power than you're even looking for at the moment.

Any size drag radial would be a definite improvement over a regular street tire for traction, but don't expect a good tread life if you drive them on the streets often.

I'm not a fan of meth injection although it has been used with success. Really you can find some cheap and effective intercoolers on ebay.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:47 AM

Car: 1984 Trans Am, 1986 Fiero SE
Engine: 5.0 H.O., 2.8
Transmission: T5, M4 Muncie
Axle/Gears: 3.73 disc posi, CAVALIER AXLES!!

Dude Im so with the intercooler statement.........U shouldnt run a turbo without a cooler, Period......And a 76mm should spool fine with a good cam thats made for low end torque, and and inline booster pump like the one suggested would even out the fuel map, And Fukk the water/meth , thats for racers, and from what I read this is a street car and that would be WAAAAAY over kill for such a small turbo.......to tell U the truth if I was running stock internals on an old motor Id get NO BIGGER than a 60mm and run no more than 6-8lbs of boost.....(Remember turbos are subject to boost spike)..........Tust me even the it will feel like you could pull down the gates of hell and have fun doing it..........
Old 01-21-2010, 08:35 AM

Hello there. great to see all you guys responding to this. as far as an intercooler i plan to run as big a one as i can squeeze up front. the regulator i will prolly end up running just to be safe because i dont want to end up starving it for fuel. im going to run as high end fuel pump as i can get. i believe holly makes one that with a regulator like so i can get 130gph. 110gph is rated for 600hp. boost wise the old grand nationals came with 15psi stock tune. those were completly cast stock internals like mine so im not to scared with 10 psi. and water meth is not that expensive and it was kinda an after if i had the money deal. its a great way to keep the engine cool and safer at higher boosts. it is a great power adder booster if you know how to use it. But like i said im not to worried about that. Also u say i wontget much milage out of drag radials on the street. how much is not to much because the cars a summer car only so its driven maybe 5000-8000 miles at most a year. i was lookin into falken fk452s.

One last thing. ive asked this a few times but no ones ever really answered me. do i need any sort of tuner or something to run the turbo. im gunna run a blow off valve and im going to get the programmable msd ignition with boost prefference. if yall have any advice itd be very much appreciated thanks.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:27 AM

also when you say 76mm inlet do u mean 76mm inducer and could you throw me a couple examlpes maybe. thanks guys
Old 01-21-2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by One_Nasty_Z
Hello there. great to see all you guys responding to this. as far as an intercooler i plan to run as big a one as i can squeeze up front. the regulator i will prolly end up running just to be safe because i dont want to end up starving it for fuel. im going to run as high end fuel pump as i can get. i believe holly makes one that with a regulator like so i can get 130gph. 110gph is rated for 600hp. boost wise the old grand nationals came with 15psi stock tune. those were completly cast stock internals like mine so im not to scared with 10 psi. and water meth is not that expensive and it was kinda an after if i had the money deal. its a great way to keep the engine cool and safer at higher boosts. it is a great power adder booster if you know how to use it. But like i said im not to worried about that. Also u say i wontget much milage out of drag radials on the street. how much is not to much because the cars a summer car only so its driven maybe 5000-8000 miles at most a year. i was lookin into falken fk452s.

One last thing. ive asked this a few times but no ones ever really answered me. do i need any sort of tuner or something to run the turbo. im gunna run a blow off valve and im going to get the programmable msd ignition with boost prefference. if yall have any advice itd be very much appreciated thanks.

First of all you have to run the regulator there is no maybe about it. The only way the motor will get the additional fuel needed when making any boost is through that regulator. Stop thinking in terms of gallons per minute. I assume you are not going to replace the stock fuel line with braided so you need to run an external pump that is made to run fuel injected engines with a return back to the tank. (The fuels system is part pressure and part volume. If you don't have good volume ie. stock size lines as opposed to 1/2" braided hose, you need more pressure to make up for the lack of voulume) That regulator I gave you the link to is made to work with high pressure pumps and drop the pressure down 5 or 6 psi when driving normally. Under boost conditions it raises the fuel pressure 1:1 so your fuel pressure will be 10lbs higher at fuel boost if your running 10 lbs of boost. That will max out a standerd jegs carb style pump and since you don't have good volume you need a pump that will handle higher pressure.

YOU HAVE to get a blow through carb set up to run a blow through system.

The 6btm msd box will work great and has a dial to adjust how much timing you take out of the motor under boost.

As far as a "controller to run the turbo" the waste gate or blow off valve will do that you just have to set it and then drive it and see how much boost it wants to make then adjust to you preferred setting. We used to run a set of vaccume lines inside the car with an adjustable valve to control the amount of vaccume going to the waste gate on buicks. You can do this but It can get you in trouble if you start cranking up the boost. Boost is like crack the more you try it the more you want. I would just set it at 10 and tune the motor to that and then leave it alone

As for the tires I would put the drag radials on it and controll yourself from doing meaningless burnouts. The problem with running a crappy radial tire is if you go to the track or a mustang pulls up next to you your stuck with crappy tires and have to leave soft and sometimes that can determine who wins and who looses. Long burnouts are for highschool kids to put on u-tube. IMO

If I was going to go to all the expence and time its much more gratifing to feel the car stick and pull hard than it is to smoke the tires down the street. Even slow v-6 third gens can do burnouts. So put some good tires on it or buy some extra wheels and put some good tires on the extras.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:25 PM

hello sports reporter. i was actually planning to replace the fuel lines and that was one of the next questions i had ha ha. so if i were to put 1/2 inch braided lines on it would i be ok with a higher end fuel pump and that regulater? as far as tires i prolly will just have to bite the bullet for the radials cause like u said i dont want to just spin the tires off. and i know i have to run a blow through carb but quick fuel and demon make good blow throughs to and thats what i was looking into.