Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Single Turbo Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 02:47 PM

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: '89 Formula WS6
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4/T56
Axle/Gears: BW 3.23
Single Turbo Questions.

I recently had a Super T-70 fall into my lap for free here recently. For the ease of install I have been wanting to install a procharger D1 kit in my car for the last couple years but then kids happened.

I can't help but consider turboing my car now that I have this paid for, brand new turbo sitting in the box. I however am kind of a newb to the whole turbo game. I have searched the forums and haven't been able to obtain the clarification I need for fitment of this turbo using existing headers. IE, BBS or XS Power.

I would like to get this bolted up and working as cheaply as possible so have been considering the XS Power kit for $210. But I have read things like. The #7 tube hits the steering shaft. Then someone else states thats just with their twin kit. Then I read somewhere else that you can forget fitting a turbo with serpentine with even an AC delete pulley.

I would like to see if anyone has a pic with serpentine of this header installed? I know they are cheap and will probably wear out quickly but as long as it last long enough to get the car tuned with a cyclone BIN I can switch the headers out later.

If the XS power will not work at all I would consider the BBS setup but then again I don't know if this turbo will clear my A/C delete and Hood with BBS's header. There really doesn't seem to be alot of concrete evidence on these kits out. Then again is this super T-70 too large of a turbo for a stock L-98?
Old 04-21-2009, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 RS Camaro
Engine: Undetermined
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Stock
Re: Single Turbo Questions.

That turbo is perfect size for you application. It will actually spool pretty well. My friend had a t76 on his LT1 and it obtained full boost at about 3000 RPM. When he went to a 5.3 LSX he had to go down to a t70 to get it to spool decently.

I would consider just using some shorty headers and turn them around and build yourself a crossover. I bought some XS power headers and now I have to modify them to clear the steering shaft. I would not know if you would have to mod them if you are keeping your engine in the stock location however. I mounted my engine way lower and about 4" back from stock location. Most people end up making their headers for their tubo.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: TT LS
Transmission: 4L80E
Axle/Gears: S60 3.54's

A 70's mm turbo is about the same as a D-1SC, so it should be fine as long as the exhaust a/r isn't huge like I had for my 91mm turbo. For the preturbo exhaust I used regular shortie headers and ran pipe under the k-member and back up to the turbo:
Name:  100_0761.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  40.5 KB
Old 05-03-2009, 02:19 PM

I might consider running a pipe up from the existing headers but am leaning more towards the kits the more I think about it. I currently have SLP 1.75 shorties in the car.
I do like the BBS design with the 1 5/8 primaries to help spool it a little quicker being it is a large single. I'm thinking the small savings the XS power crap gives wouldn't be worth the nightmares they may or may not cause. Besides I am more than willing to put in the extra cash to support someone making something good for our car's.

I also did some research and sadly think this Super T-70 I got is one of the non-labeled china turbo's. When I asked the person it originated from where he got it from the reply was from some company in Indianapolis but couldn't remember the name of them off hand. He did tell me alot of people on Turbo Fords are running them from this place without problems. Probably a drop shipper. It may be one of the better China turbo's but I am sceptical on running it or not. The housing is definetly not glued together or anything and it looks pretty quality. Does anyone know if the Serp BBS kit will even clear this turbo with a delete pulley? They say no larger than .68 AR with a/c. Any suggestions on a better suited/quality turbo for my application?

My plan is to run about 10# intercooled on the stock internals with a mild 268 comp cam and keep it nice and stealthy steetable. I want to keep the rev's below 5500 rpm to avoid high dollar internals, at least until the boost bug bites harder Also due to the low rev's be able to see what I can get power wise from being able to keep a modded TPI intake.

Last edited by Anti-Venom; 05-03-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:37 PM

To correct myself on the spec's on BBS's design. And to help compile some info for fitment. Apparently the XS power site shows 1 5/8 primaries on their headers.

Some specs for BBS's are as follows.
"The primaries ID are 1.375" dia. The crossover pipe is 2 1/2" dia. The biggest downpipe fit is 3" dia with A/C. 3.5" downpipe fits perfectly with just an aluminum sheet metal." and max A/R is .60 compressor.

Post according to whiteghost7 indicates he fit a MP T-70 with .70 A/R with no problems with BBS header. The context seems to indicate with serpentine. Only post so far that I have found showing potential for my turbo to fit. Sent a PM to whiteghost and an e-mail to BBS and hoping to get some more info.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:55 PM

Car: 1985 Yellow Iroc Z w/LS interiors
Engine: 305ci 5.0L
Transmission: 700r4

I also did some research and sadly think this Super T-70 I got is one of the non-labeled china turbo's. When I asked the person it originated from where he got it from the reply was from some company in Indianapolis but couldn't remember the name of them off hand. He did tell me alot of people on Turbo Fords are running them from this place without problems. Probably a drop shipper. It may be one of the better China turbo's but I am sceptical on running it or not. The housing is definetly not glued together or anything and it looks pretty quality. Does anyone know if the Serp BBS kit will even clear this turbo with a delete pulley? They say no larger than .68 AR with a/c. Any suggestions on a better suited/quality turbo for my application?

I meet Edgardo from BBS last week.He lives like an hour from me ,i talked with him a lot about his turbo set up.He told me i can use up to a T 76 with the serpentine set up with no problem.That guy really know his stuff and is a really nice person.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:45 PM

Car: 1987 IROC
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10-Bolt 3.73

Originally Posted by fastsspr

I meet Edgardo from BBS last week.He lives like an hour from me ,i talked with him a lot about his turbo set up.He told me i can use up to a T 76 with the serpentine set up with no problem.That guy really know his stuff and is a really nice person.

I'd love to talk to Edgardo, I've been calling both phone numbers listed on there website for a couple of weeks now and they don't answer there phones. I'd rather buy his header because I'm sure it's built better than the XS Power copy. Do you know when is the best time to call him or any other numbers besides what they have listed on there website?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:55 PM

Car: 1985 Yellow Iroc Z w/LS interiors
Engine: 305ci 5.0L
Transmission: 700r4

What happen is his working so much in the pharmaceutical industry. Probably is a good idea to PM him and give him your tel. number.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:31 AM

Car: 1987 IROC
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10-Bolt 3.73

Originally Posted by fastsspr
What happen is his working so much in the pharmaceutical industry. Probably is a good idea to PM him and give him your tel. number.
I just PM'ed him my questions and my phone number so hopefully I'll have my answers soon and be able to get a header from him. Thanks
Old 05-16-2009, 01:39 PM

Well bad news.
I blew up the factory borg warner 9 bolt a couple years ago and with school and the kids the car has been under a cover and stored for the last two years in my parents garage. Yesterday with my renewed interest and time I went over (45 min drive) to have a look and size up an idea for an intercooler. Upon pulling off the cover I noticed rust in the rear quarters almost through on the bottom behind the rear wheels. I then notice the door corners flaking with rust. Panicked I continue surveying the car and come to notice rust eeking out from under the washer fluid bottle. Removal of the bottle reveals holes and structural weakness I can poke my finger through. So I decide to pull the overflow tank and the same thing. Same amount of rust is found under the hatch when opened. I just don't know how to proceed from here. I'm afraid to even look at the floor pans.
I might just try and find a low mileage, rust free '89-'90 Formula 350 seeing as it would be cheaper than the massive body repairs my car now needs. That would really set me back on cash for any modding. It baffles me how fast the car rotted. It showed no signs of rust anywhere with the exception of some under the back hatch when I parked it in storage. I'm not going to consider it a total loss. The L98 in the car only has 25k on a fresh rebuild requiring little machine work to build up. Also the 700r4 is also fresh with low mileage. Sadly I might just have to use the drivetrain and aftermarket suspension parts from this car.