Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

TT 335 Stroker???

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 04 Jetta
Engine: 1.8t AWP
Transmission: 5spd
TT 335 Stroker???

Anyone ever done anything like this?? i shearched and im not smart enough for that lol nothing came up. I know im gonna get all these responses "why not just put a 350 in" I dont want a 350 everybody and their brother has a 350, i want something not many ppl do so im gonna keep my 305. Ive only heard of a couple tt 305s so i was in school today and thought about this, i have some ppl who are gonna help me with it. Im thinking going crazy on this like twin 70 trim turbos, So my plans are a carbbed tt 335 stroker. What do you guys think of this idea.

Its gonna be a 335 like i said above and mated to a t56 tranny and hopefully a moser 12' rear. But i have no clue where to find a brand new 305 block, and what not. I might buy the tt headers off ebay and get them strenthend if i can. How much do you guys think this will cost me? im thinking in the 5gs area. And then all the suspension work. Im stoked about this, and will be starting once i get a new DD so i can tear the maro apart.

Im starting to look for the parts i will need but cant find any heads for a 305. Would heads that say for a 350 work?? I know asking all these questions im prolly not gonna get answers to but WTH i might as well try. and you all prolly think im just some retarded kid with big dreams but this is gonna haoppen i just need help selecting the right parts, like cams i dont know crap about them lol. where do i start. thanks nate
Old 09-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 3xx ci tubo
Transmission: 4L60E & 4L80E
Re: TT 335 Stroker???

A 305 with two of your average 70mm turbo turbines should spool at around 7-8,000 RPM. I guess you are OK with extreme turbo lag.

I never understood the entire "I don't want a 350 cuz others have them" makes no sense to me. If you want something in the 330ci range you would be better off doing a 327ci base (4" bore, 3.25" stroke). It would be better for the 10,000 RPM engine you are trying to build.

I have a TT305.........it is lame compared to my TT350. It was a fun project though.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by 91z 2 8
Im starting to look for the parts i will need but cant find any heads for a 305. Would heads that say for a 350 work??
No, and thats precisely why 'everyone and their brother' builds a 350 instead.

Actually there are heads for 305's or 350 heads that will fit, but I'd venture a guess if you didnt know that, you have no idea what you're getting into. You cant just drop a crank in, you have to clearance the block. Thats a lot more work than its worth, and thats another reason 'everyone and their brother' builds a 350 instead. 15 more cubes, and no grinding a block headache.

Thats ok though, I've lost count how many people want to 'be different'. I'd rather be faster myself, who cares if its 'different' when externally nobody can tell unless they look really really really close.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:18 PM

Car: 04 Jetta
Engine: 1.8t AWP
Transmission: 5spd

Originally Posted by madmax

Actually there are heads for 305's or 350 heads that will fit, but I'd venture a guess if you didnt know that, you have no idea what you're getting into. You cant just drop a crank in, you have to clearance the block. Thats a lot more work than its worth, and thats another reason 'everyone and their brother' builds a 350 instead. 15 more cubes, and no grinding a block headache.

Thats ok though, I've lost count how many people want to 'be different'. I'd rather be faster myself, who cares if its 'different' when externally nobody can tell unless they look really really really close.
oh i was gonnae get the motor built at a shop and then bolt up the turbo kit i know when im over my head and thats when internal building comes into play i would never try to build my own motor. and the 70 t turbos was just a joke i dont know about turbo size yet this is gonna take me a few years to finsih i gotta do suspension first then tranny then im gonna do motor. Im not trying to be fast im trying to do something not many do. im thinking doing to 20g mitsh turbos. I found a place near me that builds motors and im gonna talk to him when that time comes around.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by madmax

who builds a 350 anymore................ 400"+ is the norm today.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's my take.... if you're going to put turbos on it, going through the process of stroking an old 305 is a waste of time and money. 1 PSI more boost will give you more power than going through the trouble and expense of putting a stroker kit in an old 305 block. A few extra cubes won't amount to a hill of beans when you bolt on the snails.

So I'll say it straight up: why don't you build a 350? Cheaper than stroking a 305 and you won't have any problem finding heads for it.

And 350s are actually getting to be a rarity. Like Dave says, 400+ci is where things start in the small block world these days! OK, maybe 383s, too.

I learned this with the big block in my truck. A 454 big block used to be a pretty powerful weapon. Not any more. Everything big block is centered around the 500+ ci engines now. If you're not bringing 500+ cubes to the table you must not be serious.

Last edited by Damon; 09-12-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by daverr
who builds a 350 anymore................ 400"+ is the norm today.
I suppose if you're able to locate a 400 block or buy an aftermarket one, yes. That and you dont live in smog check central.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Supreme Member

A production 400ci chevy is weak and not boost friendly in stock form. Aftermarket blocks.....well that is another story.

My opinion is to go with the small N/A cubes and the most boost you can run for the available fuel. This gives good MPG and great HP. If it is just a race engine then go with big cubes and big boost. A GM 350 block with a 350 or 383 is the best bang for the buck with boost in my opinion. Yeah, GM SBC 400+ cubes is good but can't handle the boost and HP that a good 350 block can handle.

I have a 400 SBC that I once planned to make into a HP engine, but then I found out about boost. Now that 400 SBC will probably sit in the garage forever.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by junkcltr
A production 400ci chevy is weak and not boost friendly in stock form. Aftermarket blocks.....well that is another story.

My opinion is to go with the small N/A cubes and the most boost you can run for the available fuel. This gives good MPG and great HP. If it is just a race engine then go with big cubes and big boost. A GM 350 block with a 350 or 383 is the best bang for the buck with boost in my opinion. Yeah, GM SBC 400+ cubes is good but can't handle the boost and HP that a good 350 block can handle.

I have a 400 SBC that I once planned to make into a HP engine, but then I found out about boost. Now that 400 SBC will probably sit in the garage forever.
gm 350,383 = a total waste of money.

if u are going to build something decent do it right the first time with a dart block 400"+ u will be way ahead. Building a gm 350 or 383 will cost way more in the long run than if you just went with an aftermarket block.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by daverr
gm 350,383 = a total waste of money.

if u are going to build something decent do it right the first time with a dart block 400"+ u will be way ahead. Building a gm 350 or 383 will cost way more in the long run than if you just went with an aftermarket block.
OK, so how much boost and HP are you making with your dart 400"+ block?

It didn't sound to me like the original poster had the money for something like a Dart block.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 91 rs
Engine: Blow through 383, 10 psi, xr288hr
Transmission: Manual th350 ATI 3000
Axle/Gears: 3.50 9"

How about this? Don't do a darn thing to the internals. You can get 305 engines for free, and it really doesnt sound to me that you have a wealthful of knowledge or experience with small block chevys, so I wouldnt spend a ton and screw up on the tuning and burn it all. A stock motor will handle a lot of power under certain criteria.

Keep it a 305, get a better flowing induction, just some decent heads, vortec, whatever, cr around 8:1, smallish cam to keep the low end tq, won't affect the top end hp much, and two 20g turbos would make it rip! If you go with a well picked quick spooling turbo, you will have all the low end tq your tires/rear can handle.

Budget? Trans?
Old 09-20-2008, 10:55 PM

Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Not enough

Originally Posted by Batass
How about this? Don't do a darn thing to the internals. You can get 305 engines for free, and it really doesnt sound to me that you have a wealthful of knowledge or experience with small block chevys, so I wouldnt spend a ton and screw up on the tuning and burn it all. A stock motor will handle a lot of power under certain criteria.

Keep it a 305, get a better flowing induction, just some decent heads, vortec, whatever, cr around 8:1, smallish cam to keep the low end tq, won't affect the top end hp much, and two 20g turbos would make it rip! If you go with a well picked quick spooling turbo, you will have all the low end tq your tires/rear can handle.

Budget? Trans?
This is the best advice so far. This sounds like your first foray into engine building. Here is your first lesson

Build Fast Car
Build Correctly
Build Cheap

Pick two.

You will almost NEVER get all three out of one project. Your first trip should be to your local book store and get a book calle "How to build a Small Block Chevy" I forget the author but its a good starting point for anyone with a bit of mechanical aptitude/knowlege. It'll help you more than most people give it credit for. It should give you a better idea of what you want out of your engine/car. Also remember that with every project comes the inevitable budget and all the little things will kill it. So do your research here, its all been covered (in some cases multiple times) if you can't figure out what exactly to search for, just go to the section of the forums you wish to know about and just start looking at thread titles, or reading the threads that strike your intrest.

GL and keep us updated. Pix are appreciated.