Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Procharger install...advice,what to look/look out for???

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Procharger install...advice,what to look/look out for???

I am finally going to be buying/installing a Procharger on my '89 IROC 5.7L. Just looking for any advice on what to look for or any issues that people have come across. As well as any helpful tips anybody might have. Possibly fabricating an inter/after cooler set up? I've owned the car since new, currently has 70,000km (approx 40,000 miles) on it. The engine has never been out, totally stock bottom end/pistons and staying that way. The rest is as follows...OEM heads have been ported/polished etc, Lingenfelter Superam upper & lower intake, 52mm T.B., crane cam (don't have the specs on it with me), Hooker competition headers, MSD ignition, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, TCS 2800 stall converter, Dana 44 rearend 3:54 gears, modified MAF & airbox, all Spohn suspension pieces.

Again, just any advice etc, also running the stock chip now. I imagine keep the boost around 8 - 10 psi on pump gas should be safe? Any install headaches, modification's that have to be done? Car has run a best of 13.2 @ 102, any educated guess on what I could honestly expect to get out of it after? (I know, hard to really say, maybe just off what other people have experienced)

Thanks in advance for any opinions/advice.

Steve
Old 03-12-2008, 08:07 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac
Re: Procharger install...advice,what to look/look out for???

I just got a kit from someone for an 89 (I have a 91)...
It came with a 4.75" pulley which is for 8-9 lbs of boost
it comes with an intercooler, they have 2 common kits, the P1 or D1 (both SC too)...

I got the D1sc, which is an upgrade to the P1, most people that buy the P1 always say they should of spent the extra few $$$ on the D1sc... & it comes with a 3 core intercooler as opposed to 2 core...

I was told also at that boost, you can use the fmu, but replace your 22lb gm injectors with Ford 24 lb injectors. No ecm tuning needed, problem is that the gm injectors seem to lock up under pressure where as the fords can take a bunch more before locking up (they don't in this application)

Later when you get the motor redone and increase boost, retune ecm to run bigger injectors and no fmu.

Rafael
Old 03-12-2008, 08:44 PM

What is the difference between P1 & D1...besides the intercooler? The motor will stay pretty much the way it is for awhile. Someday I might build a bigger, better one & it would be nice to be able to use the same blower. Doe's it come with an FMU like some I've seen. Doesn't tell me alot on Prochargers website exactly what it comes with.

I am a tech at a GM dealer, any other injectors from GM vehicles that people have found would work better? I would have better access & prices on them.

Steve
Old 03-12-2008, 09:06 PM
TGO Supporter

The P1 & D1 as opposed to the P1sc and D1sc, the sc are "self containted", meaning no running oil lines.

The D1 (or D1sc) flows more air than the P1 (or P1sc) and has a more aggressive impeller, so boost comes on quicker & earlier...

Yes packages come with FMU...

I hear it's a common thing with GM injectors locking up under pressure, not just the ones in the TPI... or so I was told...

Rafael
Old 03-13-2008, 12:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: SLOW carbed ls
Transmission: TH400 with brake, 8" PTC converter
Axle/Gears: moser 9" 4.11

ford 24 pound injectors are cheap as can be, although i'd be looking more into larger injectors IMO. Call procharger or a local shop that does performance builds and discuss tuning and injector sizing.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:03 AM
TGO Supporter

I spoke to them last week. & I spoke to the guy they recommended that does mostly 5.7 3rd gen TPI's...

If you're going witht he 4.75" pulley for 8-9lbs of boost, If you're gonna use the FMU, use the ford 24lb's... no ecm tuning & you can use the FMU...

If you're gonna tune, get a new computer, etc... then of course, use bigger injectors and a computer that monitors boost and ditch the FMU.

Raf
Old 03-13-2008, 08:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: SLOW carbed ls
Transmission: TH400 with brake, 8" PTC converter
Axle/Gears: moser 9" 4.11

FMU isn't really the way to go compared to a ecu swap and a proper wideband dyno tune. While it may work it'll never be as safe a tune as it could be.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:23 AM
TGO Supporter

Agreed, I have a 5.0 with even smaller stock injectors, so since I need to switch anyway, I'm gonna get some 38's or 42's, run code59 etc...

After dumping so much money in the Procharger, the moates tuning equipment, my wallet is a little tired

Rafael
Old 03-13-2008, 08:52 AM
86Z
TGO Supporter

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro SC
Engine: 305 TPI Procharged D1SC
Transmission: Tremec TKO-600
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 Bolt 3.73 posi

After dumping so much money in the Procharger, the moates tuning equipment, my wallet is a little tired

Rafael
I hear that! look at my sig
Old 03-14-2008, 12:54 PM

So basically the kit will come with everything and I should just look at getting 24# injectors? Do they have to be from Ford or does some aftermarket company have some? If not,what Ford are they out of..mustang? year?

Where does the intercooler mount and does it come with all the pipe/tubing for it? What about the air intake pipe/filter for the blower itself? I've seen various pics & some look like they have the filter stuck right on the back of it,sucking in all that hot air. Some look like the pipe makes a 180 degree bend out of the blower & down towards the lower left corner of the engine compartment. I would rather fabricate something to take air in from outside the engine compartment.

Can the D1sc be used at lower boost levels to work with a stock bottom end motor? I would like to have the capacity there if I ever build another motor for it

Thanks again for everyone's input & sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I get everything right & thought out AHEAD of time!
Old 03-14-2008, 01:00 PM

86Z....can you describe your intake pipes/filter set up...just looking at the pic in your sig. Is that from Procharger? Or did you make it? I would be interested in seeing more pics of them if you have any.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2008, 02:22 PM
TGO Supporter

The 4.75" pulley is the biggest one they make and the least powerful one, for 8-9lbs of boost for 350 engine...

The consideration for intake, kinda sucks, it's over the header, there really isn't much room to get it from anywhere else.. though I am working with a formula / buldge hood which I may try and work out another setup to get some air from the opening in the hood... I do have ceramic coated headers which really help under hoot temps too..

Kit comes complete... Call Procharger and they will point you to the right person concerning the correct Ford injectors... Unless some one here knows.

Rafael
Old 03-14-2008, 07:25 PM
AC
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Used to drive a camaro

Here's a pic of my P1SC setup and where I have my air filter located. MY location is NOT with stock hoods. I have a SS hood so thats why I clear my air filter. BTW, the FMU is NOT there anymore. I run 60# injectors, different ECM and $59 code.
Talking with 86SC I know now I should have sprung the couple extra hundred bux for the D1SC but at the time I bought my setup I didn't really know much about blowers at all, except that I wanted a self contained unit and not feed off my engine oil.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:23 PM

Thanks guys....AC... in your pic, I assume the output from the blower (tube on right side of pic,left fender well) is the piece that comes from Procharger...goes underneath, through the intercooler & back up the passenger side to the T.B.?
I talked to Procharger today (guy was nice & helpful) he also said the battery gets relocated slightly as well...appears just slightly? Appears as the alt stays in stock location as well?

I also have the Edelbrock strut tower brace (also ties in back to the cowl) I hope I can still use it and not modify it (as it is chromed). I know it wouldn't work the way AC has it set up, but hopefully it will work. I'm sure other people are running a strut tower brace & a Procharger.

Thanks again
Old 03-15-2008, 08:50 PM
AC
Supreme Member

Car: Used to drive a camaro

NVRENUF, yeah, I don't have the last piece of piping in the pic to show where it comes from the pass side, into the throttle body. I did move my battery slightly forward and towards the radiator. About 1.5" by 1.5" in a diagnoal direction towards the front.
You're also right that you could not use your strut tower brace with my air filter routing BUT if you stay stock Procharger routing you'll be able to use the strut tower mount. I was just helping 86SC with his car yesterday and he also runs a procharger setup with a Hotchkis mount, using the stock air filter location.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:32 PM

So in summary....bolt everything that comes in the Procharger D1sc kit on...get some 24lb injectors and it should be good to go?

I have an MSD 6a on there now...I assume changing it to there boost timing retard set up is the way to go? Spark plug gap remains stock with boost? Use stock timing settings? I imagine the instructions with the kit will address alot of this..but you never know!

Getting ready to order everything next week, so I just want to make sure I have & think of everything.

Thanks again for any input!
Old 03-30-2008, 01:21 PM
TGO Supporter

The 24lb injectors were used on the 350's / 5.7, not the 305'2 / 5.0... that would take some chip tuning...

If you're gonna switch injectors anyway, get the proper ones and consider code59 that monitors boost & runs 3bar map..

Using 24lb injectors and FMU on 305 would require tunning.

Raf
Old 04-01-2008, 10:03 AM
86Z
TGO Supporter

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro SC
Engine: 305 TPI Procharged D1SC
Transmission: Tremec TKO-600
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 Bolt 3.73 posi

Originally Posted by NVRENUF
86Z....can you describe your intake pipes/filter set up...just looking at the pic in your sig. Is that from Procharger? Or did you make it? I would be interested in seeing more pics of them if you have any.

Thanks
The piping is the polished version from Procharger.

i have a bunch of pics on my website www.86camarosc.com
Old 08-12-2008, 08:03 AM

Here is a picture of my D1SC with Intercooler set-up. It runs really strong, but blew the 20 year old intake gasket. Just going to reseal and have some more fun until my 383 stroker is built. Everything fits neatly under the hood, so no one is the wiser until I am on the throttle.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:42 PM

Car: 82 Z28
Engine: TT LS
Transmission: 4L80E
Axle/Gears: S60 3.54's

I'd say 10psi should take your 13.2 down to an 11.7 give or take a tenth.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:23 PM

My 13.2 was with open headers,never really ran it with the exhaust hooked up.I think only once & it ran around 13.9 - 14.1 area...was a long time ago,can't remember.

After my D1sc was installed, I've only been to the track once.It ran 12.70 @ 109 with the full exhaust hooked up,stock original chip,a/c,stereo etc etc not a stripped out car,3600 lbs,2300 ft elevation. It runs 8lbs of boost and 80 lbs fuel pressure around 5500-6000 rpm.MSD was set at zero degrees. Pretty respectable I think...with slicks of course. I will open the exhaust sometime this year to see what it will do...I'm guessing it should go 12.2-12.4. Hopefully get some tuning on the chip, or replace it all with a stand alone system (F.A.S.T. or Big Stuff3 or ???) If I can get it in the 11's through the exhaust I will be happy.....but you always want more, so it'll never end.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:07 PM

Car: 1987 IrocZ
Engine: lb9
Transmission: 5 spd
Axle/Gears: factory 9 bolt with 3.45 gears

I need some help in this area. I'm building up my 305 TPI. It will have a Comp cams (Duration 266/276, Lift .500/.510, @ 50 ( part # 08-304-8) 114 LSA which was recommended by comp camps with a supercharger. Should a get the engine running before installing the super charger? i'm assuming it will run like crap without any tuning.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:45 AM

Guys,
Need some help here to understand what i'm working with. I just spoke with Ed Wright from Fast Chips. He said my '87 doesn't have a MAP because it's a Mass Air Flow set up. That being said, I guess i can't use the Code 59 / 3 bar map programming arrangement...unless I change over to a speed density system, right? Does this also mean that I have to use the FMU that comes with the Procharger kit? I've heard using the FMU is not a great option. I'm converting over to the serpentine belt drive system, so I can use ATI kit for the F body. For 10 psi of boost, Ed said to use 30# injectors for my little 305 TPI, stick with the recommended comp cam part #08-304-8 (210/ 220 .500/.510 @ .50)..zz4 heads, etc. He said he has a chip in his library that is just what I'm looking for. Once I install the chip, what fine tuning options would I have, if I brought it to the dyno?

Any help is appreciated!
Old 10-01-2008, 08:50 AM
TGO Supporter

Correct, your current ecm cannot run code 59...
you would need a 749 or Cyclone / Typhoon one etc...

Either way, you would have to switch injectors... cuz the GM ones don't like pressure and lock up (if you went the FMU route)...

Ed is respected & if he says use the 30lb injectors without fmu & he's got a chip for it, then go that route...

Raf
Old 10-01-2008, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by luvofjah
Correct, your current ecm cannot run code 59...
you would need a 749 or Cyclone / Typhoon one etc...

Either way, you would have to switch injectors... cuz the GM ones don't like pressure and lock up (if you went the FMU route)...

Ed is respected & if he says use the 30lb injectors without fmu & he's got a chip for it, then go that route...

Raf
Thanks for the feedback man.
To clarify... Ed said to run the 30# injectors and the FMU.
I'll look up the 749, Cyclone/Typhoon you mentioned.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:19 PM
TGO Supporter

I was told 24lb Ford injector with FMU are what the 350 TPI guys are running, with no tunning... since we both have 305's, we could use the 24lb Ford injectors, but our chips will need slight tuning...

Getting the 749, 3 bar map, wideband 02 is the correct way (much more expensive) and would require some tuning skills.... and use code 59... + correct fuel injectors so you won't need the fmu...

I would save the $300 on a chip and invest in the 749... find someone locally than can tune obd1 code 59...
Old 10-01-2008, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by luvofjah
I was told 24lb Ford injector with FMU are what the 350 TPI guys are running, with no tunning... since we both have 305's, we could use the 24lb Ford injectors, but our chips will need slight tuning...

Getting the 749, 3 bar map, wideband 02 is the correct way (much more expensive) and would require some tuning skills.... and use code 59... + correct fuel injectors so you won't need the fmu...

I would save the $300 on a chip and invest in the 749... find someone locally than can tune obd1 code 59...
Not sure you were told 350's use the 24# injectors based on 10 PSI. There will always be conflicting information to some degree. I'm going to see if Procharger can offer their suggestions.
I'll keep in mind what you said about investing in the 749. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Banned

Car: 1989 T/A
Engine: PROCHARGED LB9
Transmission: FB BUILT 700r4 2200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10 BOLT EATON 3:73 POSI

IM RUNNING 24PD MOTORSPRTS(BLUE TOP) IN MY LB9. WITH OTHER MODS, INTAKE, CAM ECT.. IT RUNS SMOOTH AS CAN BE. IM STILL GOING TO ORDER AN ED WRIGHT CHIP SOON THOUGH.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:21 PM
TGO Supporter

Procharger referred me to Larry, a guy that has done tons of 3rd gen TPI's...

The 10 lb pulley is the biggest (least amount of boost) you can get...
He uses 24lb injectors (ford bosch, not denso) in 350 tpis with fmu and no problems...

Rafael
Old 03-25-2009, 02:16 PM

Car: 1988 Camaro Iroc / 1989 Firebird TA
Engine: Camaro 350 cid / Firebird 305 cid
Transmission: Soon T56 D&D Viper (WC T5) / WC T5
Axle/Gears: 9 bolts; 3.45>3.89 / 10 bolts; 3.08

Originally Posted by NVRENUF
My 13.2 was with open headers,never really ran it with the exhaust hooked up.I think only once & it ran around 13.9 - 14.1 area...was a long time ago,can't remember.

After my D1sc was installed, I've only been to the track once.It ran 12.70 @ 109 with the full exhaust hooked up,stock original chip,a/c,stereo etc etc not a stripped out car,3600 lbs,2300 ft elevation. It runs 8lbs of boost and 80 lbs fuel pressure around 5500-6000 rpm.MSD was set at zero degrees. Pretty respectable I think...with slicks of course. I will open the exhaust sometime this year to see what it will do...I'm guessing it should go 12.2-12.4. Hopefully get some tuning on the chip, or replace it all with a stand alone system (F.A.S.T. or Big Stuff3 or ???) If I can get it in the 11's through the exhaust I will be happy.....but you always want more, so it'll never end.
NVRENUF, I am curious where did you get your Procharger from? Since I am living in Ontario and would like to get a Procharger in Canada. I know it would be expensive to order a Procharger from USA for shipping and tax.

Please let me know thanks.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:08 PM

I bought my Procharger from Mopac Auto Supply. They have a store in Edmonton & Calgary. See who handles performance parts in your area & get it from them...or phone ATI & order it over the phone. Either way, the dollar sucks right now so it'll be pricey.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:48 PM

Mopac or Motion Performance in Canada.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:37 PM

Mopac...they have a store in Edmonton & Calgary, not sure if anywhere else.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:41 PM

Car: 1988 Camaro Iroc / 1989 Firebird TA
Engine: Camaro 350 cid / Firebird 305 cid
Transmission: Soon T56 D&D Viper (WC T5) / WC T5
Axle/Gears: 9 bolts; 3.45>3.89 / 10 bolts; 3.08

Thanks guys, I will look into it.