Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

T88 Turbo vs F1 ProCharger....

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro RS
Engine: F1R Procharged 383
Transmission: Tremec 600
Axle/Gears: moser 12 bolt, 4.11's 33 spline axl
Re: T88 Turbo vs F1 ProCharger....

Originally Posted by oxrabidus
Kinda off topic... but would a smaller procharger, like the P1SC, have the same problems as an F-1, like the belt throwing, and breaking the crank snout, stuff like that?
the only reason to throw a belt, is if the brackets aren't aligned right........and occasionally going from WOT to closed will cause it, but its never happened to me.

the crank snout breaks for 2 reasons.......excessive belt tension, and from the extreme force required to turn the blower to put out the kind of air it does......a smaller blower would reduce that problem......it supposedly takes around 200hp to turn the f1 at max rpm.

having a smaller blower would reduce the force required, but you'd be using a serpentine belt most likely which requires alot more tension not to slip than a cog setup....its a little give and take.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
What do you guys think? Gonna be pulling the 305 in my '91 Formula very soon in favor for a 454-SBC, and although I'm already decided on a turbo charged application, the concept of the "F1" ProCharger somehow keeps getting whispered into my ear. Overall goal for the car will be a nine second, totally streetable (daily driven, but not a commuter) car. Both hairdryers can obviously get me where I want to go. Opinions.....?

Here's an F1 on a Mercury Maurauder, Click Here....

Here's a T88 on, dare I say, a "Skyline" lol, Click Here....

^ Both sound unfreaking real....

-Rob
Dare I ask the stupid question here, but do you have a clue of what heads, intake etc. etc. you will be using? To say that a T88 will give you good results may be a fallacy at best, you may need something like a 101mm head unit to not choke the engine up if you're running say a big cam with big heads versus a 454 with some ported oval ports and a ZZ502 cam. Figure I'd throw that out there. All of em will get you big power, and cost big bucks to implement.

not a T88 but I figure I'd throw this build out; it's very simple with many nearly stock parts with a .060 over 454 engine. http://www.theturboforums.com/projec...altcarinfo.php
Old 04-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
First Firebird can customize it's location right by the stock (albeit modified) A/C bracket....

-Rob
I came across this thread during a search, what's going on with your projects? Haven't heard form, or gotten any drawings/dimensions from you
Old 04-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 180 Likes on 157 Posts

^ Hey what's up bro!

Decided on a T-67 for the Formula after watching some of my buddies running deep into the tens with even smaller turbo's than that (w/alky) on their Grand Nationals (Click Here). Honestly don't want to run any faster than ten seconds in the 1/4, as I have no time to get licensed for 9's, plus it might be a little overkill (the 454), so I'm keeping the 350....

ZO6 was sold, '98 Trans Am is just about for sale now too. Been keeping myself busy with very light bodywork and paint. The 350 has been taken care of; new bearings, new freeze plugs, bores smoothed out, etc. It's not getting done as fast as I anticipated, but it's getting there little by little....