Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Fuel Control

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Control

I have plans for a certain Nova that i am working on. It has a MAP TPI setup in the works and future plans of being turboed. I am not looking for nothing major just something to get my foot in the door with.

I have notice that some people have been using FMU's and BTM's to control their fueling and spark,but some have said they dig into the computer and some have not. And then some use the 749 swap or something to that manner.

My Question is. Can you just us the FMU and BTM to control the Spark and Fuel without going into the computer or is there no way around it. Granet i know that tuning with the computer would give more power, but there are bigger plans in the distant futer.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 3xx ci tubo
Transmission: 4L60E & 4L80E
Re: Fuel Control

You can do it with an FMU and BTM. That is a good simple way to start.

I have been helping something with a Holley carb setup without any sort of aftermarket timing management. I showed him how to weld up a stock HEI to limit mechanical advance when under boost. It is currently running 8 PSI with a 64mm turbo.

Me, I dug into the ECM and modified the stock code to run without an FMU or timing box. Everyone is at a different level. The guy I helped with the Holley hates all the EFI wiring. You will be fine with the FMU and timing box. Take it slow and read up about it as much as you can.