Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

3rdgen sbc single turbo headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 09:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rdgen sbc single turbo headers

alright guys im been debating on starting to build some turbo headers for the v8 guys since there arent really any cheap ones available that are any good.
so my ?'s for u guys are what would u be interested in as far as style log/tubular header? etc
would u want the turbo placement over the valve cover,or in another location
like this

or if u have other ideas plz share
and how much would u be willing to spend for a set of turbo headers
Old 01-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: SLOW carbed ls
Transmission: TH400 with brake, 8" PTC converter
Axle/Gears: moser 9" 4.11
well single turbo should be located on the pass side where the battery area should be. Utilizing stock C4 vette headers would be awesome like most people do on a budget. For price, I have no idea.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:40 AM

ill leave turbos to the imports and diesels, because there engine has no power to begin with so they have to have a turbo.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:03 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 83Chevy__Camaro
ill leave turbos to the imports and diesels, because there engine has no power to begin with so they have to have a turbo.
so why even respond to the thread?
Old 01-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 z28
Engine: 383 sbc, 88mm turbo a2w IC, CSU 750
Transmission: th-400 PTC 4000 stall
Axle/Gears: ford 9" 3.55 gear
that statement is pure ignorance. But bot to the topic! I like that set up, pictured, keeps the turbo away from the engine, and still be able to run a 4 or 5" downpipe to a catback without too much hassle. As for price, i would think materials and however much you see your work is worth, doesnt look like too much work would be needed to make something up, but i may be interested if you start producing somethign like that
Old 01-12-2007, 11:38 AM

Car: 1986 Iroc
Engine: 5.3
Transmission: 4L80E
Axle/Gears: 9 Inch w/ 3.55
B&G customs had a set of single turbo and twin turbo headers avalible for a reasonble price. I cant remember there web site but they hang out on www.turbomustangs.com. They make alot of mustang stuff but they had stuff for a third gen to.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L EFI LTR setup
Transmission: T-5 World Class
If you can make one with

- ability to retain all accesories like A/C and the smogg pump
- have bungs for AIR lines ...or at least the option to have them put in
- I don't care about anything more than strength and longevity

I would be interested ....
Old 01-12-2007, 02:38 PM

http://www.cecoatings.com/images/oth...ture%20009.jpg
Here is the set I want. BG customs built them but I dont know if they do anymore.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:26 PM

Car: 86 WS6 Trans AM/ 95 Trans Am
Engine: 305/Lt1
Transmission: 700r4 / 4L60
Axle/Gears: ? / 3:23
i like the BG's above .
I wanted a set of these and followed the tread on Turbo mustangs for a while waitting for a price and never found out anything.
SO my vote the above.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by grover85
Here is the set I want. BG customs built them but I dont know if they do anymore.
do those clear all the accesorsys?
looks like im going to be getting a fully intact 89 iroc to do the design and fab work on.
what sized turbo are u v8 guys typically running?
id like to get a junk turbo to use while mocking stuff up to make sure everything fits right
Old 01-12-2007, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by daves12secV6
do those clear all the accesorsys?
looks like im going to be getting a fully intact 89 iroc to do the design and fab work on.
what sized turbo are u v8 guys typically running?
id like to get a junk turbo to use while mocking stuff up to make sure everything fits right
The kit in the pic may not clear. But I know they have a design that does clear the a/c
----------
Originally Posted by n2omike
i like the BG's above .
I wanted a set of these and followed the tread on Turbo mustangs for a while waitting for a price and never found out anything.
SO my vote the above.
Let me know what you find out. I may be in on a set if the price is right.

Last edited by grover85; 01-12-2007 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Boosted LSX
B&G NO LONGER MAKES CHEVY STUFF !! Been there done that when I tryed to get em to make a kit for me. They WON'T make kits for chevys for awhile longer either from what Brian was talking to me about.

The pic's above are my car and I think you could sell that kit really well. Better yet would be to reposition the Turbo by the valve cover.

Or like the other Kit I showed you !!
----------
This one would sell good also.

http://www.cecoatings.com/images/oth...oCars/preston/

I already have mine mocked up. PITA to get it to clear the factory K member. buts its doable.

Last edited by FSTFBDY; 01-12-2007 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Supreme Member

yeah just trying to get an idea of what ppl would like to see
soon as i get the car ill be using to make the headers on ill have a better idea of what i can do.
im gonna keep an eye out for some holset and other larger turbos i can use for mockups for the time being
Old 01-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Supreme Member

I hear ya. Wish I had more time to spend on doin the same. anything like above or someting similar to BBS would sell.

keep an eye on ebay. holsets are on there all the time. I can PM you a PH# 2morrow for a guy I bought mine off of also.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:16 PM

Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
How about their twins then?

Don't do Chevy stuff? He just posted an LS1 kit on turbomustang.com
Attached Thumbnails 3rdgen sbc single turbo headers-pict0044.jpg  

Last edited by 87IROC350; 01-12-2007 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 87IROC350
How about their twins then?

Don't do Chevy stuff? He just posted an LS1 kit on turbomustang.com
notice he JUST posted the LS1 kit he finished up and is talking about starting to do em. He doesnt offer 3rdgen stuff. and Im gonna guess he wont unless someone droped off the car for a custom kit made for them.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:55 PM

I'm not in the market for a turbo setup but I like the setups that use a stock manifold (or thirdgen specific header) on the drivers side. You can route the exhaust from the Drivers side header under the oil pan in the stock location then up and merge it into the collector.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:27 PM

Car: 89 Formula
Engine: 383 vortec tpi
Transmission: t56 woot
I always liked how the bbs kit was made alot of people complain about not being able to have ac but at that point whats it matter you can have a really mild motor in the bottom 11s or high 10s with a 62-1 if thats not enough ac for you I dont know what is

LOL
Old 01-18-2007, 06:54 PM

Car: 92 Formula 350
Engine: L98 with a T-76
Transmission: ArtCarr 700-R4
Axle/Gears: Bone stock 10bolt and 3.23's
I agree Al. I wanted to keep my a/c, but i had to remove it for a turbo setup i liked, so its gone now. Sorry, but i'd rather have a turbo then a/c. Plus i found out after i already removed the a/c, that it would have been way harder to make the setup work. The down pipe would have been harder to fit, and i would have had some major cooling issues with an intercooler and a condenser. Plus with the weight that i added with the turbo setup, i lost by removing the a/c.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:30 PM
Banned

Car: Fire Red 89 RS
Engine: 2.8L :(
Transmission: 700r4 auto
yea like most of the guys i want ac too because summers get hot and im not looking for a strictly track machine so it doesnt have to be completely gutted. Dave do you think you could make them possibly for a twin setup? im getting a 350 and boring it and would really like to run twin turbo if possible. I like the B&g setup sort of, but id like the turbo exit to be facing to the center so i can easily run ducts to the air intake in the front. so if they looked like the B&G but the mount was faced up instead of to the front of the car then that would be great. If you want extra to make do a cutom twin set up thats cool and i deffinately understand that.

im just curious but do you have the resources to do them ceramic coated or would you just make the headers and send them off and let the buy coat them?
Old 01-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by turbochargedrs
yea like most of the guys i want ac too because summers get hot and im not looking for a strictly track machine so it doesnt have to be completely gutted. Dave do you think you could make them possibly for a twin setup? im getting a 350 and boring it and would really like to run twin turbo if possible. I like the B&g setup sort of, but id like the turbo exit to be facing to the center so i can easily run ducts to the air intake in the front. so if they looked like the B&G but the mount was faced up instead of to the front of the car then that would be great. If you want extra to make do a cutom twin set up thats cool and i deffinately understand that.

im just curious but do you have the resources to do them ceramic coated or would you just make the headers and send them off and let the buy coat them?
i could do twins,and even thought about it,but i figured id start out building single setups first.im still prolly a month away before i even get started,as im finishing up my twin turbo v6 camaro first.

yeah my shop deals with airborne coatings,so ceramic coating can be done,or the person that buys them can send them out to be coated
Old 01-20-2007, 08:47 AM

I'd like the B&G type setup too. I PM'd him, sent an email, and replied to a post but didn't get any response from him. Keep us updated, because I'm in the market. I'm building a 4-bolt shortblock as we speak with a turbo in mind. I'm looking at a single with no A/C.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:43 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: Future: LSX Turbo
Transmission: built T-56
id be very interested and temped to buy if you could gaurantee their reliability and strength...dont care about A/C getting in the way...its gonna go anyways...just as long as you leave plenty of room to fit a nice BIG single...im happy
Old 01-28-2007, 06:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum
Heh, my wife is pushing for the next setup that I make to keep the AC…, the “new” TA is heavily optioned and would seem weird without it. If I ditch it it will be because of either weight or spark plug change hassles…

Originally Posted by GodSpeedGTA
id be very interested and temped to buy if you could gaurantee their reliability and strength...
They’re the strongest set like them out there…

Guarantee aftermarket performance parts… hehe….

Originally Posted by WheelsUp84z
that statement is pure ignorance. But bot to the topic! I like that set up, pictured, keeps the turbo away from the engine, and still be able to run a 4 or 5" downpipe to a catback without too much hassle.
Where the hell are you going to run a 4 or 5” down pipe without any hassle on that setup??? I’m not even positive that you can get a 4” out of the engine compartment without some major hassles. If anyone has pictures of a larger pipe neatly routed out, even a 3.5”, I’d love to see them.

Originally Posted by grover85
I’ll say the same thing that I said in the thread at turbomustangs… where do you run the down pipe with that? You might get away with making a hard, 120* or so bend with some 3” coming out of the turbo, and then it’ll be in your way for the rest of your life anyway.

Originally Posted by TPl383
Or like the other Kit I showed you !!
Which one?

Is it my imagination or is preston running a 3” down pipe on that setup? That would explain the relative packaging ease…

What’s the deal with this pic, it’s not preston’s setup:
http://www.cecoatings.com/images/oth...ton/biggo5.jpg
Old 01-28-2007, 07:00 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 TTA #1240
Engine: 3.8 SFI turbo
Transmission: 2004r
you could move the a/c compressor to the driver side and mount it like the buick turbo manifolds. A setup similar to the TTA would give you back a/c and room for a 3in dp. Just ditch the air pump on the pass. side......

Or copy Preston Smith's design, even that way I don't know if there is enough room for the a/c box
Old 01-28-2007, 07:31 PM

Car: 87 trans am
Engine: 305
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 SLP rear
Originally Posted by daves12secV6
alright guys im been debating on starting to build some turbo headers for the v8 guys since there arent really any cheap ones available that are any good.
so my ?'s for u guys are what would u be interested in as far as style log/tubular header? etc
would u want the turbo placement over the valve cover,or in another location
like this

or if u have other ideas plz share
and how much would u be willing to spend for a set of turbo headers
I agree with xpndbl3, if you make this set to use the vette manifolds flipped, it'd cut costs for you and the buyers. I know I'd buy one.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Banned

Car: Fire Red 89 RS
Engine: 2.8L :(
Transmission: 700r4 auto
dave whos to say you cant design something that needs some minor mods. most people here want the a/c still and nobody cares about the AIR system and why should you have to clear everything in the car. If your making something that requires me to make a few mods like a relocation or two then that cool. if your running your own turbo you can relocate a few things to get **** to fit right. move the battery to the truck or something and relocate the resvoir to the drivers side (possibly remove washer fluid tank). now a turbo should fit and the intake can be run right where the battery was (same spot as yours just on the pass side instead). I really dont mind sacrficeing the windshield washer fluid for a turbo set up, its not like i ever have fluid in it anyway. then you can keep the a/c because the turbo is moved foward and the down pipe can be run tight to the wheel well and low in the bay to connect where the header collector normally is.

i dont know exactly how it will need to be designed but its a suggestion and it seems to make some sense. I dont have a good pic in front of me now of the V8 bay and i have a 2.8 but from a look at a few pics it looks like a valid choice.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Here are my thoughts on potential turbos

-Master Power T70 without a doubt would be the most common choice atm
-T04 62-1
-Holset HX40/H1E
-S400
-HX-55
-TV8101

Please note that the differences between the last 3 aren't insanely huge and if you did it right you'd probably be able to get away with just down pipe changes and I think the HX-55 uses a slightly different flange. Also the last 3 are more likely to be used in "race" setups where someone's having a set of custom headers made, while the first two are fairly comomon and streetable. You can also get a lot of white papers on the above turbos dimensionally if you look around, as well as the GT series stuff
Old 01-28-2007, 09:20 PM
Supreme Member

Engine: 3xx ci tubo
Transmission: 4L60E & 4L80E
I was looking at a thirdgen yesterday and I would be very impressed if you could fit something like a TV series unit in there. The HX55 and TV series is going to have a different flange than the others. Most people aren't going to want something that big and it would be very difficult to get it to fit with all the A/C and smog stuff that people want. Not to mention the 5" outlet for the downpipe and when you are up to the HP for a HX55 you need a 4" out pipe to do it right. With the TV8101 a 4" would be OK, but a 5" would be much better. I would build it around a decent sized T4 frame and be done with it.

Check out the dimensions page at www.turboneticsinc.com. Look at the thumper series dimensions. That is what you would be trying to fit with the TV series. The HX55 is slightly smaller.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by 83 Crossfire TA
Looks like a twin setup... def not a single. Not a thirdgen either, look at the way the lines come off the master cyl.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:55 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: Future: LSX Turbo
Transmission: built T-56
i dont know if what i said was taken as a joke or what but i know if what i produced for others to use was of good quality and strength i would be able to back my part with some kind of limited gaurantee/warranty like most companies do...its called a sales tactic and building trust as well as a reputation for your business and people usually dont buy when they see no refunds, returns, or gaurantees
Old 01-29-2007, 02:35 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: broken 385sbc
Transmission: G-Force rebuilt T-5
Axle/Gears: Currie 9" Ford 4.30:1
good god, i want a turbo.. and a 434sbc.. hahaha
Old 01-30-2007, 08:35 AM
Supreme Member

Where the hell are you going to run a 4 or 5” down pipe without any hassle on that setup??? I’m not even positive that you can get a 4” out of the engine compartment without some major hassles. If anyone has pictures of a larger pipe neatly routed out, even a 3.5”, I’d love to see them.

I’ll say the same thing that I said in the thread at turbomustangs… where do you run the down pipe with that? You might get away with making a hard, 120* or so bend with some 3” coming out of the turbo, and then it’ll be in your way for the rest of your life anyway.
3inch will fit. but ya right outa the turbo will be tight by the rad.
http://www.cecoatings.com/images/Car...r/DSC02723.JPG
and IF I did have a AC Box Id imagine it would be tight also.
http://www.cecoatings.com/images/Car...r/DSC02722.JPG

DELETED.. I just never got around to removing that pic's when I uploaded emall at once..
Old 01-30-2007, 05:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum
Originally Posted by Drac0nic
Here are my thoughts on potential turbos

-Master Power T70 without a doubt would be the most common choice atm
-T04 62-1
-Holset HX40/H1E
-S400
-HX-55
-TV8101

Please note that the differences between the last 3 aren't insanely huge and if you did it right you'd probably be able to get away with just down pipe changes and I think the HX-55 uses a slightly different flange. Also the last 3 are more likely to be used in "race" setups where someone's having a set of custom headers made, while the first two are fairly comomon and streetable.
Forget the different flanges, those turbos are all different sizes and they have different rotations. You wouldn’t just need a different flange to go from one to another, but they’d have to be located in different locaitions/posisions.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: Ellis Juan
Transmission: t-56
GTS 76 ftw if your doing a 350-383 type setup. you could always run a y-crossover and mount the turbo in front of the engine. exhaust flow does play a part in how the turbo will spool..etc.
mark- you should check out ohio forced inductions setup. if by "new" u mean not a 3rd gen.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Supreme Member

just to let u guys know this is a dead for now,ive got 10 cars in the shop right now for work before the race season starts back up.not to mention i have a few of my own v6 parts projects going on at this time. so im pretty much screwed for time and room inside the shop.but i should be able to pick back up on this sometime during late spring,and have something available mid summer im quessing
but thnx for the input guys
Old 01-30-2007, 09:25 PM

Car: 87 trans am
Engine: 305
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 SLP rear
I forgot to add these pics. I don't remember who's work it was or where I got the pics though. These couls be really cheap is done with shortys or the like.

Just let us know when you get the time and go from there.. I'll just keep my blitz gear in a nice safe place and watch out for updates here.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:56 PM

Car: 83 Z28
Engine: 400sb
Transmission: 700r4
well i hope u remeber to make these cause i think my 400 sbc that i had in my 83 camaro would love a turbo and a 150 shot
Old 01-30-2007, 11:22 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: broken 385sbc
Transmission: G-Force rebuilt T-5
Axle/Gears: Currie 9" Ford 4.30:1
Originally Posted by Z28guy83
well i hope u remeber to make these cause i think my 400 sbc that i had in my 83 camaro would love a turbo and a 150 shot
i would love to see that in action..
Old 01-30-2007, 11:55 PM
Supreme Member

Those last pics look great on an engine stand, but I don't see how it would be assembled in car without lifting the engine to assembly/disassemble. I wouldn't build it that way.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by junkcltr
Those last pics look great on an engine stand, but I don't see how it would be assembled in car without lifting the engine to assembly/disassemble. I wouldn't build it that way.

it can be done. I have my driverside header all tacked up just like that. juts need to work on a p.side one now.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Supreme Member

The driver's side looks OK. It is the passenger side that looks scary. Do you have to pull the engine mount or lift the engine to get the pass. side pipe in and out? I guess it works, but going above the mount on that side would have made a lot more sense (in the long run). Not knocking it, any turbo setup is a good setup.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:42 AM

Car: 87 iroc
Engine: 454 .030 over
Transmission: th-350
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt
looks lie some good ideas, i liek the idea of having the turbo where the battery is, its what speed inc does for its big turbo kits on ls1's
http://www.ls1speed.com/shopcar.cfm
Old 02-01-2007, 10:44 AM
Supreme Member

The driver's side looks OK. It is the passenger side that looks scary. Do you have to pull the engine mount or lift the engine to get the pass. side pipe in and out? I guess it works, but going above the mount on that side would have made a lot more sense (in the long run). Not knocking it, any turbo setup is a good setup.

the only problem Im running into on the p.side is the knock sensor in the side of the block. so Im just gonna remove it or see about a 90* fitting and just move it outa the way.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Supreme Member

Could you put the sensor on the driver's side? That would be better than the 90* fitting.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:01 PM
Supreme Member

Could you put the sensor on the driver's side? That would be better than the 90* fitting.
not really. both headers are almost identical.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 TTA #1240
Engine: 3.8 SFI turbo
Transmission: 2004r
here's a pic of the buick header for the 89 TTA add in the siamesed primary for the extra cylinder. It may actually work with little creativity. The second picture is of the driver's side, but any header would work. Just need a crossmember fabbed to connect the two.

You might have accesory intereference though in which case just move the turbo mounting flange out a bit.

HTH! Bring out some ideas
Attached Thumbnails 3rdgen sbc single turbo headers-tta-header-2.jpg   3rdgen sbc single turbo headers-tta-header-1.jpg  
Old 02-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Supreme Member

Id imagine TTA headers would be hrd to get ahole of. Good pic's for an idea on how to make a setup.

How did the TTA crossover look?
Old 02-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L EFI LTR setup
Transmission: T-5 World Class
Originally Posted by turbochargedrs
most people here want the a/c still and nobody cares about the AIR system

Yes I want the smogg stuff. I am currently getting my BBS setup modded to have all the smogg stuff incorporated. It won't pass a visual up here without it .
Old 02-04-2007, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by soultron
I forgot to add these pics. I don't remember who's work it was or where I got the pics though. These couls be really cheap is done with shortys or the like.

Just let us know when you get the time and go from there.. I'll just keep my blitz gear in a nice safe place and watch out for updates here.
I like these headers. I would rock them.

Quick Reply: 3rdgen sbc single turbo headers