Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Procharger vs. Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:06 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 B4C 1LE
Engine: Proaction 412, Accel singleplane
Transmission: built 700R4 w/custom converter
Axle/Gears: stock w/later 4th gen torsen pos
Originally Posted by 84CamaroSS
Wait Wait...... i wanna see this 600rwhp almost stock L98. I myself dont have a REALLY fast car only 400rwhp which is not stock by anymeans. Personally i think your lying about the horsepower or the engine.
are you talking about the one in the guys sig above? TurboedTPI? I could believe it.

The car I sold a couple years ago (too many cars) made 437 RWHP and was running 11.90 @ 5800 feet altitude. His sig estimates 600 hp and claims a 10.78. I could believe he is going 1.12 faster in the 1/4 with 163 more hp. Sure there are racecars in the 10's with 500+ hp but considering he is running a 10 bolt and a 700r4 its likely he hasn't lightened the crap out of the car. But this method of comparisons isn't very accurate so lets do some math.

His sig says he ran that 10.78 on a 128 mph, That seems a fairly quantifiable result that he could show us a time slip for.

using the calculator at:

http://www.dsm.org/tools/calchp.htm

which uses both:

The ET method
This method uses the weight of the car and the time it took that car to travel 1330 feet (¼ mile).

The formula is: hp = weight / (ET / 5.825)3

and

The Trap-speed method
This method uses the weight of the car and the speed at which the car completed the quarter-mile run.

The formula is: hp = weight * (speed / 234)3
a 3400 pound car and driver weight we get:

Using the ET method, I come up with 536 horsepower
Using the Speed method, I come up with 556 horsepower
a 3500 pound car and driver weight we get:

Using the ET method, I come up with 552 horsepower
Using the Speed method, I come up with 573 horsepower
a 3600 pound car and driver weight we get:

Using the ET method, I come up with 568 horsepower
Using the Speed method, I come up with 589 horsepower
a 3700 pound car and driver weight we get:

Using the ET method, I come up with 584 horsepower
Using the Speed method, I come up with 606 horsepower
a 3800 pound car and driver weight we get:

Using the ET method, I come up with 600 horsepower
Using the Speed method, I come up with 622 horsepower
my 92 B4C with my 250 pound me in it weighs 3624:

http://www.outlawperformance.com/ima...b4c_weight.JPG

I guess it comes down to what his race weight is, and how "L98" his L98 still is.

I cant deny the power bla bla bla of turbos but you also cant hide all the benefits of the NEW prochargers. I personally would choose the procharger cause its selfcontained you dont dirty your oil as fast, no new exhaust/custom headers, no wimpy spooling sound or blow off, the sound of the gears are just awesome, much more street respect unless your talking to tuners.
now here are some very valid points. but with the non self contained blowers, procharger and vortech, its more likely the blower gets contaminated by the engine than the other way around. But yes Turbos get hot and can coke up the oil which yes is another valid point.

I have friends on both sides of the arguement. I can personally say not one has complained about the prochargers/superchargers or lost a belt. If you know what your doing it wont fling off. But for the turbos i always hear about a broken wastegate, boost control, turbine, exhaust leaks, and so on.
belt issues are the plague of procharger owners. the tale tale black powder around the blower bracket of every blower car is horepower not made. I mayself want to step up to a 12 rib or cog on my procharger. But for ever guy who says he doesn't have belt problems I can find you posts right here of everything from broken crank snouts, ruined front main bearings, and just plain old belt destruction and loss posts.

Dont forget about blower belt idler failures. it seems like we procharger owners see these all the time. procharger are you listening?

My two cents is a muscle car sound have a supercharger. its like peanut butter and jelly with out the other it just work
And turbos for the four bangers/maybe V6.
yes a big honking blower on top, but I still feel the same way about turbos that I do about EFI. I like them. I have had some, and I want more.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would try to see things the way 84 does, but I dont think I can shove my head that far up my own ***.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
Originally Posted by vwdave
I would try to see things the way 84 does, but I dont think I can shove my head that far up my own ***.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Supreme Member

much more street respect unless your talking to tuners.

I have friends on both sides of the arguement. I can personally say not one has complained about the prochargers/superchargers or lost a belt. If you know what your doing it wont fling off. But for the turbos i always hear about a broken wastegate, boost control, turbine, exhaust leaks, and so on.

My two cents is a muscle car sound have a supercharger. its like peanut butter and jelly with out the other it just work

I am on both sides of the argument. You pop your hood and you see a procharger you get "Oh thats cool." with no real enthusiasm. Mostly because every hillbilly has one.

If you have any idea what youre doing with turbos they are reliable. I have built several turbo cars and not a single one of them has had a problem. Most of you friend's are either morons, or making excuses why their car doesnt run hard. I find that most turbo problems are user error.

And my 0.02 says that supercharger and muscle car is like you, and a trailer. Judging by your ignorant, one sided posts.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like it the other way around, sort of. V8's/V6's with turbos and 4 cylinders with superchargers. I'm a big fan of the Cobalt SS Supercharged, so maybe i'm biased.

Last edited by Firebat; 01-23-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 376 Likes on 304 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42
i didnt see this mentioned...but if you are thinking of going turbo and want to do a remote mount setup...check the regulations at your local drag strip....cuz some places wont allow remote mount turbo setups. I know my track doesnt and its an IHRA track i believe. That woudl be dissappointing to have such a awesome setup on a car and not beable to use it.

anyway, the whole supercharger vs turbo thing.....my opinion is this. for powerlevels up to around 600whp....i dont think it really makes a difference what you get. Turbos tend to be more efficient when done right but 600whp isnt a whole lot when your talking about boost and pump gas on a healthy small block...especially a fairly large one like a 383-427.
for power levels up over that, turbos start to shine and become more efficient making same or greater power with less boost than superchargers.

the fastest street cars i've known all use turbos or nitrous. i'm talking 800+whp. either big block 540's with 300shots making 1000whp, or twin turbo small blocks/Ls1's making the same power. rarely do i see a supercharger setup making over 700whp

but how much power do you need?? i'd be more than happy with 550-600whp
Old 01-23-2007, 02:08 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: broken 385sbc
Transmission: G-Force rebuilt T-5
Axle/Gears: Currie 9" Ford 4.30:1
Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ
i'd be more than happy with 550-600whp
AMEN!!
Old 01-23-2007, 02:29 PM

Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: PT88 Turbo DART 406
Transmission: th400
Axle/Gears: 9" ford

I cant deny the power bla bla bla of turbos but you also cant hide all the benefits of the NEW prochargers. I personally would choose the procharger cause its selfcontained you dont dirty your oil as fast, no new exhaust/custom headers, no wimpy spooling sound or blow off, the sound of the gears are just awesome, much more street respect unless your talking to tuners.

Just bookmarking this for myself for when I need a laugh...

Street Respect.. LOLOLOL

So much wrong in the post I wouldnt know where to start..

"I KNOW A GUY WHO"
CLASSIC

Original poster: for the Thread.. I know a Guy who has been down both roads multiple times.. I see him in the mirror everyday. Here is the best advice I can give you..

1) Dont listen to ANYTHING anyone has to say when they only KNOW OF someone who once did this or that***Pretty much good advice for everything in life...***I dont take stock tips from people who arent proficcient in the market..

2) Go to the track and ask people WHO ACTUALLY HAVE 1 ....AGAIN dont go and talk to People who KNOW OF the guy.. go to to the GUY WHO BUILT/OWN it.. Again My Uncle is a Structural engineer>>he designs bridges... I dont offer bridge building advice based on me knowing him and his projects..

3) anytime you see a post where it had an ending like turbos are for 4cylinders>>> Really think about the ignorance in statements like that and Dismiss any MADE UP PROPAGANDA in the given posts..

4) RUN as far away from this thread as you can.. Its long beyond helping anyone and yet another reminder of why I limit the amount of posting I do here...
Old 01-23-2007, 02:46 PM
Supreme Member

listen to this dude.... sound advice:

Originally Posted by Kenwood
Original poster: for the Thread.. I know a Guy who has been down both roads multiple times.. I see him in the mirror everyday. Here is the best advice I can give you..

1) Dont listen to ANYTHING anyone has to say when they only KNOW OF someone who once did this or that***Pretty much good advice for everything in life...***I dont take stock tips from people who arent proficcient in the market..

2) Go to the track and ask people WHO ACTUALLY HAVE 1 ....AGAIN dont go and talk to People who KNOW OF the guy.. go to to the GUY WHO BUILT/OWN it.. Again My Uncle is a Structural engineer>>he designs bridges... I dont offer bridge building advice based on me knowing him and his projects..

3) anytime you see a post where it had an ending like turbos are for 4cylinders>>> Really think about the ignorance in statements like that and Dismiss any MADE UP PROPAGANDA in the given posts..

4) RUN as far away from this thread as you can.. Its long beyond helping anyone and yet another reminder of why I limit the amount of posting I do here...
Old 01-23-2007, 02:46 PM

Car: 1986 Saleen mustang.
Engine: Turbo 5.0.
Transmission: T5.
Axle/Gears: 3.55
lol.

I decided to use a turbo because my Dads, brothers,aunts,cousins,trahsmans ex lovers neighbor told him that I would blow up my motor. That and I'm not a very good welder and I was afriad that my manifold welds where going to blow apart and my floor boards would fall off when I reached ludicrous speed.

kyle
Old 01-23-2007, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Evil86Saleen
lol.

I decided to use a turbo because my Dads, brothers,aunts,cousins,trahsmans ex lovers neighbor told him that I would blow up my motor. That and I'm not a very good welder and I was afriad that my manifold welds where going to blow apart and my floor boards would fall off when I reached ludicrous speed.

kyle
Nah dont be afraid of the welding part... Just go make friends with some welders.. Once you know of some welders you automatically become an expert..
Old 01-23-2007, 03:01 PM
Supreme Member

Nah dont be afraid of the welding part... Just go make friends with some welders.. Once you know of some welders you automatically become an expert..
thats how i became a rocket scientist and a nuclear engineer.... there's a navy nuke school near here, so i made friends!
Old 01-23-2007, 03:10 PM

PM me a couple of times.. Hopefully I can absorb some of that.. I could use a few more dollars..
Old 01-23-2007, 07:44 PM
Supreme Member

This thread was started as a flame by a ignorant person. It serves NO purpose when it comes to helping others.

For the record, I am the guy who builds these cars for people with far more money than myself.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:48 PM
Supreme Member

Engine: 3xx ci tubo
Transmission: 4L60E & 4L80E
I guess the wheels finally fell off of this thread. I can say that I have a few new Power Adder facts to add my growing list.

1) Diesel turbos won't work on gas engines because they are different
2) Single turbos can't work because they will never spool
3) Nitrous will blow up all engines
4) Leaf Blowers can make good power on a V8
5) Only having a lot of money will make an engine go fast
6) Turbos are only good for 4 & 6 cylinders (I guess they are OK for diesels too)
7) Superchargers will always snap a crank or destroy the bearings
8) Cast or hyperuetectic pistons can't be used with boost
9) Superchargers have cooler air than turbochargers
10) Turbos with melt down an engine compartment and start the car on fire
11) Believe everything I read on the web
Old 01-23-2007, 09:02 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by junkcltr
I guess the wheels finally fell off of this thread. I can say that I have a few new Power Adder facts to add my growing list.

1) Diesel turbos won't work on gas engines because they are different
2) Single turbos can't work because they will never spool
3) Nitrous will blow up all engines
4) Leaf Blowers can make good power on a V8
5) Only having a lot of money will make an engine go fast
6) Turbos are only good for 4 & 6 cylinders (I guess they are OK for diesels too)
7) Superchargers will always snap a crank or destroy the bearings
8) Cast or hyperuetectic pistons can't be used with boost
9) Superchargers have cooler air than turbochargers
10) Turbos with melt down an engine compartment and start the car on fire
11) Believe everything I read on the web
rofl
Old 01-23-2007, 10:21 PM
TGO Supporter

VWDave I actually agree with Kenwood. I said the same thing when I first posted in this thread that the last one we had like this turned into a total $hitfe$t. Also VWDave he wasn't flaming anything except the thread.

I think your comments about 84CamaroSS were "uncalled for" about the southern geographic region of his cranial residence.

Come on people. Flame people's comments or their opinions, but lets refrain from personal attacks. If you have to make personal attacks, then you have already lost the debate.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:46 AM
Supreme Member

Oh I agree with him too. I was just stating I do have experience with building fast, reliable turbo cars. Thats what Ive done for the last year. Still no expert, but the stuff works good. I was just clearing that up just in case.

The thread was started as flamebait by a troll trying to draw flames. Which is what he got. I've been on many forums, seen many threads like this one posted by people just like him. He is no different.

Also I live in Florida. So I know PLENTY of ignorant southern folk. He sounds to me like one of the dime a dozen that I have met in my life.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:15 AM

Car: 1984 Camaro
Engine: 350 bored .30 over
Transmission: TCI 700-R4
Axle/Gears: Stock 3.23 i think
Well of course i said i know a guy, You want anmes here you go, Andrew has a evo 8 that broke the boost control and always has problems with his duct work.(yeah im sure its human error). Dean with a WRX STi he keeps having to replace his wastegate(from subraru).

In wyoming i think ive only seen like one procharger and like a million turbos all on imports or SRT4s and so on. So yeah in wyoming you get alot more respect for having something different. Differrent area different feelings.

And no im not ignorant all i said is that i PERSONALY think american muscle shouldnt have turbos. remember i said PERSONALY!!!!!!!!!

And to all those who said all the rude crap i say to you "i hope you feel like a big man hiding behind a screen."

Give me the same year camaro with the same engine and trans with 5 grand against your same year camaro and engine, trans with 5 grand and a turbo and i will woop you. Seen it proven with a 89 Iroc.

If you can run 10s, 11s, and so on with NA thats when you have a real car.
----------
Plus whats this trying to get flames what the f is that

Last edited by 84CamaroSS; 01-24-2007 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-24-2007, 07:35 AM

Ahhh I see...so in your vast experience youve only seen a few ricers who have smoked turbo components and a procharger that hasnt..

Well case closed...

And again...KNOWING someone who has it is STILL not the same thing as doing it. Let me clarify>>>saying I KNOW A GUY>>>OR SAYING A GUY I KNOW SAMUEL JACKSON HAS A BLAH BLAH BLAH..Is not the same thing as actual experience with a product. . I KNOW a guy who does Brain Surgery.. Dont look for TLC to be hosting the Kenwood Brain Surgery hour anytime soon..

Please list off some projects YOU have actually designed/procured/Built.. versus theoretical $5000 builds... What makes you think you would beat anyone>>>YOU havent built anything.. Oh but wait.. "you seen it proven with an 89 camaro..." Well case closed again... Here is something you MIGHT want to consider... A CLASS IN STATISTICS. But be advised.. Implying FACT Using a sample size of 1...will net you an F..

The Respect thing.. WTF.. I dont get it?? Street respect is a STAT on video games.. Not anything I or most care about when doing a build.. Thats something PEOPLE WITH LOW SELF ESTEEM. BUT ILL play along.. Who died and made you the emperor of respect??? Thats an individual decision... And unless your some kind of god you have no real way of knowing what someone will or wont respect..

The IGNORANCE is in the statement that said turbos are for 4cylinders///maybe v6's.. that my friend IS IGNORANT.. Its an opinion..but an uninformed one.. thus ignorant..

NOW now where did you hear me say...Turbo is better...blower is better... I chose to stay out of that argument.. Ive BUILT BOTH***BUILT as in actually got my hands dirty, actually spent money, actually did the tuning afterwards.. Not I built it on my Grand Turismo video Game.. or I know Bill who has a turbo Mustang.. Etc..

This is the kind of argument Id expect to have on SCIONPERFORMANCE.com..
----------
Oh I agree with him too. I was just stating I do have experience with building fast, reliable turbo cars. Thats what Ive done for the last year. Still no expert, but the stuff works good. I was just clearing that up just in case.

The thread was started as flamebait by a troll trying to draw flames. Which is what he got. I've been on many forums, seen many threads like this one posted by people just like him. He is no different.

Also I live in Florida. So I know PLENTY of ignorant southern folk. He sounds to me like one of the dime a dozen that I have met in my life.

I was not calling you out.. I was responding to I know a GUY thing by 84cazmaroSS..

BUT I jumped to conclusions.. I assumed he was just saying he knew a guy.. NOW that he has listed actual names that changes EVERYTHING...

Last edited by Kenwood; 01-24-2007 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Supreme Member

And to all those who said all the rude crap i say to you "i hope you feel like a big man hiding behind a screen."
Why yes I do.

*Rubs nipples*

Old 01-24-2007, 09:37 AM
TGO Supporter

Well of course i said i know a guy, You want anmes here you go, Andrew has a evo 8 that broke the boost control and always has problems with his duct work.(yeah im sure its human error). Dean with a WRX STi he keeps having to replace his wastegate(from subraru).

In wyoming i think ive only seen like one procharger and like a million turbos all on imports or SRT4s and so on. So yeah in wyoming you get alot more respect for having something different. Differrent area different feelings.

And no im not ignorant all i said is that i PERSONALY think american muscle shouldnt have turbos. remember i said PERSONALY!!!!!!!!!

Give me the same year camaro with the same engine and trans with 5 grand against your same year camaro and engine, trans with 5 grand and a turbo and i will woop you. Seen it proven with a 89 Iroc.

----------
Is Andrew the guy with all that money poured into the Evo that smoked Adam's 10 second 03 cobra?
Old 01-24-2007, 10:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

We call this irony. I stand by the first statement I made towards the beginning of this thread.

I don't have a Camaro or fire bird, I'll be the first to admit it. I am however putting a TPI 305 into my 89 Astro van. It's an 86 TPI engine (flat tappet cam) with another cam, ported heads and intake, 30 lb/hr injectors, Megasquirt EFI, WB O2 etc. etc, I'm basicly setting it up for a turbochager as I go along. To be blunt, I'm a poor *** college kid and don't have 5 grand to put into a challenge. However I do feel compelled to take you up on your challenge for my personal amusement, and see what happens doing the best I can with what I've got. It's been said that "junk runs" Wanna find out?

Last edited by Drac0nic; 01-24-2007 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:15 AM
Supreme Member

Im sure trbo355 has under $5k in his car and he's running 9.75 @ 140mph.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:19 AM

----------
lol. to funny. I neede a good laugh today.

kyle
Old 01-24-2007, 11:49 AM

Car: 92 Formula 350
Engine: L98 with a T-76
Transmission: ArtCarr 700-R4
Axle/Gears: Bone stock 10bolt and 3.23's
Wait Wait...... i wanna see this 600rwhp almost stock L98. I myself dont have a REALLY fast car only 400rwhp which is not stock by anymeans. Personally i think your lying about the horsepower or the engine.
What dont believe about it? I can try and post a timeslip if you want. The only weight removed from the car is the a/c is gone, but i added the same if not more weight with the turbo setup. If i remember correctly the last time i weighed it, it was 3580lbs or something about. I weigh 165lbs so say 3700lbs is about what my cars weighs.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:13 AM

Why yes I do.

*Rubs nipples*

Sorry this is just actually really hillarious

Nice wasnt expecting that

And yes i have spend money and got my hands dirty. I have built and painted four cars. Some of you will say thats not a lot but for a kid thats 20 that is. And yes one was a turbo and one had a weiland blower.
----------
Originally Posted by B4Ctom1
Is Andrew the guy with all that money poured into the Evo that smoked Adam's 10 second 03 cobra?
Yeah but you sure that Cobra does 10 seconds cause he got smoked by that S 10 and nova. How long ago was this
----------
Originally Posted by Drac0nic
We call this irony. I stand by the first statement I made towards the beginning of this thread.

I don't have a Camaro or fire bird, I'll be the first to admit it. I am however putting a TPI 305 into my 89 Astro van. It's an 86 TPI engine (flat tappet cam) with another cam, ported heads and intake, 30 lb/hr injectors, Megasquirt EFI, WB O2 etc. etc, I'm basicly setting it up for a turbochager as I go along. To be blunt, I'm a poor *** college kid and don't have 5 grand to put into a challenge. However I do feel compelled to take you up on your challenge for my personal amusement, and see what happens doing the best I can with what I've got. It's been said that "junk runs" Wanna find out?
Ha HA sorry thats just a little funny....... astro....hahaha van....

Last edited by 84CamaroSS; 01-26-2007 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-26-2007, 07:20 AM

Im sure trbo355 has under $5k in his car and he's running 9.75 @ 140mph.
Bet not.

I think its really funny how this thread went to the morons who make unwanted rude comments and yes i knoe i dont know everything but from what i have learned i base my facts on.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:01 AM

Old 01-26-2007, 10:30 AM
Supreme Member

Why yes I do.

*Rubs nipples*

that is just hilarious.. i could just imagine someone doing/saying that.. i would laugh for days..
Old 01-26-2007, 11:16 AM
Supreme Member

Bet not.
O RLY?

http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/ind...?topic=61219.0

YA RLY!
Old 01-26-2007, 11:38 AM

come on man...dont argue with him.. He has painted 4 cars.. How many has that guy painted???
Old 01-26-2007, 12:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: L03 305 V-8 (for now ;) )
Transmission: T-5 5 speed
Axle/Gears: stock... whatever that means :)
You beat me to it. I have ALSO read that ENTIRE thread! Very impressive considering what he is working with!
Old 01-26-2007, 04:33 PM

HA HA this is just funny. I just think of things to say to ***** you off cause i just wanna see how imature you are.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73
Old 01-26-2007, 06:43 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by JAYDUBB
You beat me to it. I have ALSO read that ENTIRE thread! Very impressive considering what he is working with!
Taking junkyard GN turbos, smogger heads, 150k mile truck engine. Putting a cam in, setting up the turbos with his existing stuff, spraying a 100 shot, and running 9.75 on a 3.00 rear gear without going over 5800 rpms is VERY VERY IMPRESSIVE.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
HA HA this is just funny. I just think of things to say to ***** you off cause i just wanna see how imature you are.
pot, meet kettle.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:04 AM

Taking junkyard GN turbos, smogger heads, 150k mile truck engine. Putting a cam in, setting up the turbos with his existing stuff, spraying a 100 shot, and running 9.75 on a 3.00 rear gear without going over 5800 rpms is VERY VERY IMPRESSIVE.

Yeah if i shoot 100hp i would run 9.75 too.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:34 AM
Supreme Member

Yeah if i shoot 100hp i would run 9.75 too.
<500whp is not enough to get a 9.99 or faster. You might go from a mid 12 to a high to mid 11..
Old 01-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Supreme Member

<500whp is not enough to get a 9.99 or faster. You might go from a mid 12 to a high to mid 11..
500whp for mid 12's??? damn i must be doing something right.. i have maybe 360whp.. went 12.4.. soon to get upward of 400whp..
Old 01-27-2007, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by 5678TA
500whp for mid 12's??? damn i must be doing something right.. i have maybe 360whp.. went 12.4.. soon to get upward of 400whp..
Depends on suspension set up, tires, race weight etc etc.

With my road race suspension under the car and 245/50/16 DRs I only run mid 12s @ 120 with **** hole 2.2 2.3 60ft. toss the sway bar, konis on full soft, yank all the stereo spare etc and a set of slicks with 1.7 60fts and she runs high 11s. 430 hp 520 tq sinlge turbo 5.0.

kyle
Old 01-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 5678TA
Im figuring he cant drive.

If you read it again, I mean mid 12's now and mid 11's at 500hp.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:16 PM

Im figuring he cant drive.

If you read it again, I mean mid 12's now and mid 11's at 500hp.

A. How the hell would you know how good i drive
B. It allready has all the good suspension
C. Dont know what you drive but its very possible to hit 10s with 500whp
Old 01-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Supreme Member

Judging by your ignorant posts, I would say you cannot drive. Its a well known fact ignorant posters cannot drive.

500 crank horsepower is hard to hit 10's with.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:15 AM
TGO Supporter

Look guys, lets hold off on the personal attacks. I have both defended and attacked each of you. Lets keep this constructive.

Most 500 hp street cars do run in the 11's. Its nothing to be ashamed of, it has to do with weight and handling compromises. Now if you have a dedicated race car with 500 hp I guess it comes down to driver, choice of cars (like big cars, trucks, or wagons). Something else to think about is what is 500 hp? Are we talking 500 FWHP or 500 RWHP because there is quite a difference there.

Yes I know there are 10 second 500hp street cars, I have driven them, built them and helped others build them. Attacking someone for having a 500hp 11 second car is childish.

Here is one for you, how about the 12.00/117mph N/A car that runs 13.00/124mph with a 150 shot??? Those are my favorites, going slower with more hp makes people want to set their car on fire.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:00 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by B4Ctom1
Look guys, lets hold off on the personal attacks. I have both defended and attacked each of you. Lets keep this constructive.

Most 500 hp street cars do run in the 11's. Its nothing to be ashamed of, it has to do with weight and handling compromises. Now if you have a dedicated race car with 500 hp I guess it comes down to driver, choice of cars (like big cars, trucks, or wagons). Something else to think about is what is 500 hp? Are we talking 500 FWHP or 500 RWHP because there is quite a difference there.

Yes I know there are 10 second 500hp street cars, I have driven them, built them and helped others build them. Attacking someone for having a 500hp 11 second car is childish.

Here is one for you, how about the 12.00/117mph N/A car that runs 13.00/124mph with a 150 shot??? Those are my favorites, going slower with more hp makes people want to set their car on fire.
Youre taking alot of the stuff I am saying out of context.

I am not attacking his car because it runs 11's. He said he could run 10's with a 100 shot, I said no he couldnt. Easy as that. That, and you didnt notice the suddle irony about me knowing he cant drive by how he posts.

The car is probably breaking loose very badly when he hits the button.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:31 PM
Supreme Member

I am not attacking his car because it runs 11's. He said he could run 10's with a 100 shot, I said no he couldnt. Easy as that. That, and you didnt notice the suddle irony about me knowing he cant drive by how he posts.
i know this wasnt geared towards me but i just thought i'd add a lil something.. with my new setup i just got, i should be able to get really high 10s on a 100shot.. or at least a good fight to really low 11's.. dyno numbers will come in summer.. (college=no home/no 3rdgen) hoping for 400rwhp or at least 385.. if i dont get my 400, its off to degreeing my cam and there it is.. i can raise my dynamic compression ratio from 8.1 to 8.45 with 4degrees advance of the cam..
Old 01-29-2007, 12:46 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: Future: LSX Turbo
Transmission: built T-56
WOW

im afraid to even post a reply to what i think about turbos vs chargers but at the ame moment this thread is way over and there is no longer a point to do so

Turbo > Supercharger
Old 01-29-2007, 03:26 PM

Well back on track whats the difference between the Vortech V-1, V-2, and V-7. Are they quiet or are they like prochargers. Or are they just crap.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:07 PM
TGO Supporter

Well back on track whats the difference between the Vortech V-1, V-2, and V-7. Are they quiet or are they like prochargers. Or are they just crap.
I could never understand why vortech even bothered caling them quieter, when a V-1 and a V-1SQ are running next to each other you can barely tell the difference. They are loud, but I never considered the noise of blowers a downside.

Quick Reply: Procharger vs. Turbo