Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

crankcase evac under boost???

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 07:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crankcase evac under boost???

when i di dmy original turbo system,i left the pcv valv hooked up as normal.the v6 cars have the one breathe rline from the valve cover to the bellows infront of the tb.Well when i installed my turbo kit i just threw a reg breather in the valve cover.well it works fine under non boost conditions,but i must admit i am in boost alot.so id like to address this issue with the new engine/turbo setup.though it hasn't cause me any real problems yet,the worst i get is a lil bit of blue smoke when im above 9 psi and above 4,500 rpms.(ive been taking the engine to 6,500)
i figure i could take the breather out and run a line to the turbo inlet.except this would lead to oil getting all over the compressor blades and prolly in all the charge pipes.Do any of u guys use a evac system like this with or without an oil catch can?How well does this work?

or i figure i can just do a reg moroso evac system with the weld in fittings in the ex system.bvut im thinking this wont be to effective.
Anyone with a boosted motor using this type of setup?how well does it actually work?

any other suggestions for an evac system?
Old 10-27-2006, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Formula 350
Engine: L98 with a T-76
Transmission: ArtCarr 700-R4
Axle/Gears: Bone stock 10bolt and 3.23's
Im not sure exactly how a 3.1 pcv system is setup, but on my tpi setup, there was a line from the throttle body to the valve cover (fresh air inlet to crankcase) and when i first ran the car with boost i didnt really think about it, so when it got into boost, that line allowed boost pressure into the crankcase, making alot of blowbye. It smoked alot out of the tail pipe, and oil was leaking out the rear main and valve cover gaskets. At first i thought i was screwed and the oil rings couldnt seal with the extra cylinder pressure with boost or something. Because it was fine until i reached boost. Then i realized that pcv line was allowing boost into the crankcase causing oil to blow out of all the seals and rings. So i just plugged the nipple on the throttle body and just put a seprate filter on the valve cover. No smoke or leaks at all since. So if your pcv system is allowing boost to get into the crankcase somewhere, you'll know what the problem is.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Supreme Member

well the v6 pcv system is like this.on the drivers sid evalve cover is the pcv valve conted to a line that runs right into the manifold base.on the passenger sid eit just has a tube into the valve cover that leads into the bellows infront of the tb.
what i did was eliminate the one on the passenger side when i put the turbo on.so when the motor is at 0 vacum or under boost it has nothing to pull air out of the crankcase.
i knew if i hooked the line upto the turbo inlet without a catch can id just be sucking oil into the turbo inlet.
the amount of smoke i get isnt much at all.so i never noticed it till i let a friend drive the car,while i followed in his car,then i looked at some clips of me at the track and notice slight smoke when i would spool the turbo when staged and also a lil bit down track.
im really just wondering what would be my best option to have crankcase ventilation on a boosted motor
either convert the air pump to a vacum pump
build a catch can and hook the one breather to the turbo inlet
or use one of the moroso crankcase vent kits that u weld into the ex system
Old 10-27-2006, 11:15 PM

Car: 09 Cobalt SS Sedan. 92 Z28 vert
Engine: 2.0T EFR6758; 5.0TT T3/T4 8psi
Transmission: F40; 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.76 LSD; 3.23 posi
The late 80's thunderbird turbocoupes have a tiny venturi tee that screws into the hot-side of the intercooler (1/8"NPT). One end re-routes back to the air cleaner and the other end produces a vacuum when under boost. I have 4 of those venturies (tees) hiding somewhere from all of the T-bird intercoolers I've bought. I don't use them because blow-by isn't a big concern for me. I have some blow-by, but not enough to care about it. I just use a pcv valve that is uni-directional.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:29 AM

Car: 1985 pontiac trans am
Engine: Procharged 5.7l
Transmission: t-56
Axle/Gears: stock 9 bolt 3.71
Im running a supercharger at 10 psi fully intercooled on my tpi motor. The engine is compleatly build for the blower. I did experence a lot of blow by. The first thing i did was eliminate the pcv valve. pluged the lower intake. Then i took the line off the valve cover to the trotle body. I put a breather in the driver side valve cover and one of those moroso evac kits in the pasenger side of the y pipe, and then ran a -10 an line to a oil catch can with breather to the valve cover.Even under full boost at high rpms i still get a lil bit of blow by but its so small you can hardly notice. (uslay only in videos of me at the track and when i shift. Im intrested if anyone else has run a system like this.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Formula 350
Engine: L98 with a T-76
Transmission: ArtCarr 700-R4
Axle/Gears: Bone stock 10bolt and 3.23's
Originally Posted by daves12secV6
im really just wondering what would be my best option to have crankcase ventilation on a boosted motor
either convert the air pump to a vacum pump
build a catch can and hook the one breather to the turbo inlet
or use one of the moroso crankcase vent kits that u weld into the ex system
I've heard the systems that use the exhaust work good.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:38 AM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '89 Z28tt
Engine: Dart Little M Twin Turbo
Transmission: T56
Originally Posted by TurboedTPI
I've heard the systems that use the exhaust work good.
As long as you don't have much of an exhaust after it. It didn't work with the SLP muffler, but did once I fabbed boom tubes.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:08 PM
Supreme Member

yeah i run a full ex system,im just gonna fab up an oil catch can and hook the breather to the turbo inlet
Old 05-03-2007, 10:43 AM

Car: 1988 IROC CONVERTIBLE
Engine: 305 TPI PAXTON SUPERCHARGER & NOS
Transmission: T5
Re: crankcase evac under boost???

Originally Posted by Recaro trans am
Im running a supercharger at 10 psi fully intercooled on my tpi motor. The engine is compleatly build for the blower. I did experence a lot of blow by. The first thing i did was eliminate the pcv valve. pluged the lower intake. Then i took the line off the valve cover to the trotle body. I put a breather in the driver side valve cover and one of those moroso evac kits in the pasenger side of the y pipe, and then ran a -10 an line to a oil catch can with breather to the valve cover.Even under full boost at high rpms i still get a lil bit of blow by but its so small you can hardly notice. (uslay only in videos of me at the track and when i shift. Im intrested if anyone else has run a system like this.
I have the symptoms of blowby now because of the misrouting of the vacuum lines. Could you lay out a diagram as to how you have it setup on your car. Also provide details on specific parts needed.

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2007, 10:53 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1973 Datsun 240Z/ 1985 S-15 Jimmy
Engine: Turbo LX9/To be decided
Transmission: 5-speed/T-5
Axle/Gears: R200 3.90/7.5" 3.73

I haven't seen a GM A.I.R. pump that can be easily adapted to pull vacuum, but Ford has one that has fittings for both the in and out, I have one in my possesion I plan to adapt for this very purpose, and to create a higher vacuum than a PCV system on it's own could.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:34 AM

Car: 1985 pontiac trans am
Engine: Procharged 5.7l
Transmission: t-56
Axle/Gears: stock 9 bolt 3.71

Well Its really simple. The way it was discribed in my last post is really it. its that simple. The major parts you need to do is 1. take out the pcv and block off the port in the lower intake. 2. take off the p/s tube that goes to the throtle body and block the throtle body port off. Now ive seen a lot off dragsters using a evac on both valve covers but i fould that one is more then ok. 3. i used a kit from moroso i got from summitracing. It comes with the weld in nipple two breathers, and the check valves. I welded the pipe nipple to the crosover pipe for the d/s exhaust just after it turns to the rear next to the driver side down pipe. 4. then ran a -10 an line from it to a oil catch can i also got from summit and then to the breater. and thats it. as exhaust passes by it creates a vac.

I recently switched my exhaust to a set of long tubes and had to buy a new fitting to weld it and found a kit on the jegs websight that is almost like an o2 bung but its at the proper angle to weld it in. may want to consider this kit, for the ease and to take out the guess work.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think a lot of guys with boosted motors just have a one-way check valve in the PCV line. Under vacuum it works like a normal PCV system would, but when the motor jumps into boost it can't flow backwards and pressurize the crankcase.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Supreme Member

I typically use a catch can routed to the exhaust. No problems that Ive noticed on the 5 cars I have set up that way.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1973 Datsun 240Z/ 1985 S-15 Jimmy
Engine: Turbo LX9/To be decided
Transmission: 5-speed/T-5
Axle/Gears: R200 3.90/7.5" 3.73

Originally Posted by vwdave
I typically use a catch can routed to the exhaust. No problems that Ive noticed on the 5 cars I have set up that way.
So you have the vacuum pump connected to the crankcase (valve cover), then the oulet from the pump is attached to a catch can, and then the catch can is connected to the exhaust?

Or Valve cover to catch can to exhaust?
Old 05-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Six_Shooter
Or Valve cover to catch can to exhaust?
That.