Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Jacobs Mastermind and Edelbrock Nitrous questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 04:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jacobs Mastermind and Edelbrock Nitrous questions...

Im probably going to buy a Edelbrock Performer kit for the 82 Trans Am with the 406 I am picking up, and I was thinking this would be a good investment for my 406..

The car had a Edelbrock Performer nitrous kit on it, and ran a 11.8@123 on a 50 shot, but the kit doesnt come with the car, so Im thinking about buying one of those kits also.

Info is here <a href="http://www.jacobselectronics.com/products/timingcontrols/nmm.htm">Jacobs Mastermind</a>

Tips, Ideas?

-Roshambo

------------------
-Joe
1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
Cascade Crew
Old 12-10-2001, 11:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 93 240SX
Engine: LQ9
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.54 R200 IRS
I dont see the questions ??? But heres some things to think about, if your only going to run a 50 or similar small shot then overpowering traction wont be as much trouble as a large dose so you probably wont need the ability to start at a low setting and ramp it up as that box is used for, since the main problem with that type of controller is that it pulses the solenoids and decreases the life of them, now the other car if you run a higher shot it may be worth the wear and tear on solenoids, i say get it if your running a large shot and on the small shot car just run a MSD timing retard.
Old 12-10-2001, 04:40 PM
Supreme Member

Well, thats exactly what I was looking for, someone with more experience with this stuff than I. (which shouldnt be to hard) But, traction is a problem when the car is just on motor. It ran a 12.1@119, to me the trap speed alone would be good for a mid 11.

Of course suspension and tires is going to be one of the things that happens before I start pushing nitrous down the motors throat.

I figured the one GOOD thing about the Mastermind was that it might just protect the motor before it sends a connecting rod through a fender or something

Thanks for the answer/info man!

-Roshambo
Old 12-10-2001, 10:19 PM

Car: '86 IROC-Z + Misc. project cars.
Engine: Supercharged + Nitrous TPI 355 CID
Transmission: Art Carr built Th700r4
If you are running less than 125-150 shot I woldn't worry about timing retard. You generally don't really need them with less than 150 nitrous.
If you're runing less than 200-250 HP worth then I wouldn't worry about the mastermind. It's worth it if you need a progressive controller, rev limiter, fuel presssure safety switch, and timing retard. It's kind of expensive if you don't need all that.

If your just using small shots (less than 150 HP) timing retard is usually not needed, and you don't have to worry very much about over filling the cylinders.

If you're concerned with overfilling the cylinders, or going lean from a drop in fuel pressure you can get an RPM switch and a fuel pressure safety switch much cheaper than a mastermind.
The mastermind is a nice "all in one" unit though so if the price tag doesn't hurt too bad and you want it, go for it.

------------------

Tracy /AKA IROCKZ4me
'86 IROC-Z Camaro
"Cogito ergo zoom"
  • 355 cid
  • AFR heads
  • Arizona Speed & Marine hydraulic roller cam w/ AFR hydra-rev kit
  • modified SLP runners
  • TRW forged pistons/ceramic coated
  • fully balanced
  • Edelbrock headers/ceramic coated
  • SLP cat-back
  • Paxton supercharger
  • Nitrous Express nitrous oxide
EFI Performance Club on Yahoo
Old 12-11-2001, 12:02 AM
Supreme Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IROCKZ4me:

The mastermind is a nice "all in one" unit though so if the price tag doesn't hurt too bad and you want it, go for it.
</font>
Yeah, the price tag doesnt hurt to much, and the motor can handle much much more than a 100 shot, so I thought for later down the road it would be a nice addition.

-Roshambo