Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Turbo Kits, why not?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2001, 08:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-1
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Turbo Kits, why not?????

Why doesn't anybody produce a turbo kit for SBC's? I mean, they amount of useable power these things produce, especially if properly installed and tuned is incredible. I was a street legal, street drive Volkswagen Bug, (type 1, not the new stuff) that has the original engine configuration (slightly larger displacement) with a pull through turbo system installed, and it was running almost 470 hp-pump gas. That's out of an engine under 2 liters. BTW, those things rap out at the same rpm as ours do for the most part, so it's not like that 470 hp is at 9000 rpm or anything.

Come on now, a 5 liter with a properly applied turbo should be able to get double that easily, and we've got room for dual turbos.

IMHO, the sbc and bbc enthusiasts are behind the times.

I've driven a super charged car, and turbo charged, while they weren't the same cars, the feeling a turbo gives you is unmatched.

Why don't some of the sponsors of this site do some research and produce a bolt turbo kit, maybe a series of them beginning with mild and finishing at wild........
Old 02-28-2001, 08:30 AM
Supreme Member

if you REALLY want a turbo kit for certain model year you have to email a producer and give them a test car with a whole lot of a "interest list" and deposits and it could happen. that is what the LT1's guys did for a twin turbo kit

btw, incon might be coming out with one for thirdgens
Old 02-28-2001, 11:20 AM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '89 Z28tt
Engine: Dart Little M Twin Turbo
Transmission: T56
There are a ton of folks out there with turbo SBC's, either finished, or in construction. Gale Banks used to have a kit as well (I'm using his manifolds), and as was mentioned, Incon might. The reason no one has jumped into kits is that companies will not make much money doing it. Face it - third-genners for the most part are folks that don't want to shell out the cash for a new 4th gen. Yes, there are enthusiasts that would rather have the third-gen (i.e. folks here), but not in the general public. You'll have more people with $4k to spare that want to mod their LS1, rather than their third-gen. It's business :/ The best way is to get 20 people interested to fork over the cash (or atleast a significant deposit) for a kit, so there is a reason to make it and a guarantee they won't lose money.

A.

------------------
Andris Skulte
Skulte Performance Designs
Z28tt-89 IROC T56 DFI Twin Turbo
http://www.skulte.com

Old 03-01-2001, 01:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: L03 305 V-8 (for now ;) )
Transmission: T-5 5 speed
Axle/Gears: stock... whatever that means :)
Gruveb, I 100% agree with you the that most chevy boys are falling behind. But we have guys like GMI Fast, Askulte, and others that are taking the big jump into the "hi-tech" horsepower wars. Maybe one day these Chevy boys out here will realize that Nitrous is not the only power adder made, nor is it the greatest.

Before I get flamed like hell, let it be known that I am a Chevy boy to the bone. There arent many companies out here that support 3rd gen Camaros anymore, especially when it comes to turbocharging. The 4th gen boys all think that the 3rd gen car is the wrong car to build. I totally disagree. I love to see 3rd gens beat up on 4th gens. Its funny to me.

I could go on and on about why I think the 3rd gen is a better car, but I wont.

GMI Fast, Askulte, and others... Keep up the good work. One day I will be right along with you guys with a turbocharged 3rd gen of my own.
Old 03-01-2001, 07:31 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 IROC-1
Transmission: 700r4
I agree, I love the thirdgen body style, IMHO, it's probably the best looking of them all. The 1st, while truly classic and awesome in appearance, many of them look like boxy sedans of the day.

Jump the the 2nd, while some of them look down right mean, most of them are just a little long and a little too much of the 70's.
The 4th gens, well, the SS is a down right awesome looking car, the others look like a wide version of a Ford Probe or maybe even an older Mitsubishi GT.......

3rd Gens, especially the Z's and IROC's look and feel very aggressive...no doubt about it.
Old 03-01-2001, 07:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2018 Camaro SS
Engine: LT1 w/Paxton 1500SL
i for one will never sell my 3rdgen for a 4thgen right now i'm throwing on an ATI come summertime but i think im gonna build a turbo motor during next winter

------------------
Originating member of the SJNEP Crew
Rice..It's whats for dinner!
All new projects put on hold till its fixed..whenever that is
Check out MyGTA
***AOL IM RiceEatinGTA***
Tony
Old 03-01-2001, 08:02 AM
Supreme Member

turbos.......YEEEahhhhhh

------------------
Big Thumper 400 started!
91mm Turbo
GM raised runner heads
PARacing frt suspension
DFI
more as money allows
Always a cool place visit
www.mfba.org
Old 03-19-2001, 01:28 AM

I've got an old issue of Hot Rod that has an add showing the Pfaff Turbo '82 Twin Turbo Z28. That was Pfaff's demonstrator for their TT kit. They actually had a TT kit on the market for our cars back in those days. That car looked sweet, I'll try to scan the add!
Old 03-19-2001, 04:58 AM
Tas
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we need a good single turbo kit I think. How are the pipes run on a GN? anyone have a pic? insted of having the turbo infront of the engine we could have it on the side of the engine on the drivers side. There seems to be the most room there in my engine.

------------------
-Tas
'89 Formula WS-6
[soon to have Hooker 1-5/8" 50 state legal headers installed]

305, TBI, auto, 14x3 chrome flat based open element with K&N, Milodon 160* thermo, functional Formula hood, cross-flow Flowmaster, '99z28 rear pipes and tips....

Super GRK_Taz World
EFI & Intake Options
AOL IM: superGRtaz
Old 03-19-2001, 04:45 PM

You are semi right about the SBC being a touch behind the times, but it is very cost prohibitive for us. Squeeze is so much more affordable, when you compare $/HP. things are looking up for blowers though. we can only hope that turbo's come through soon.

think that it is hard for the 3rg gens, try finding ANYTHING for a 2nd gen. I am contenplating a blower (wanted turbo, but can afford the exhaust system) & it appears that this is going to cost me some $$ as well. there is a bolt on blower, but draw through. I have efi (91 camaro) but not the serpentine (sp?) setup so that is going to cost me more $$$. even @ that, when i get all that done, now how about an intercooler, think someone has a tubing prebent, NOT, gonna have to be custom. the grass is not allways.............

thanks for listening to my venting

BW

------------------
Bob Wooten
r71chevy@earthlink.net
www.r71camaro.homestead.com
Old 03-19-2001, 05:34 PM

Turbos are the best way to make crazy HP especialy on the street. I'am working on my twin t04 and 400 with a big phat cooler up front. Give me a year and a half. Askulte is right its all about money and the 3rg gen market is very small. If you have to much money call bill at speedwayracing and he will hook you up with a custom system that is out of this world.
Old 03-19-2001, 10:27 PM
Tas
Supreme Member

I think the main problem with Turbo kits is that people want to start with stage 10+. If we start small and turn a 230HP TPI 305 into a 400hp single turbo on a $900 turbo and $500 exaust headers/manifolds/whatever we'd be starting somthing big. no super ceramic coating everying in site, lightwight forged crank with $600 rods...

------------------
-Tas
'89 Formula WS-6
[soon to have Hooker 1-5/8" 50 state legal headers installed]

305, TBI, auto, 14x3 chrome flat based open element with K&N, Milodon 160* thermo, functional Formula hood, cross-flow Flowmaster, '99z28 rear pipes and tips....

Super GRK_Taz World
EFI & Intake Options
AOL IM: superGRtaz

[This message has been edited by Tas (edited March 19, 2001).]
Old 03-19-2001, 11:07 PM

Are there any companies that make TT exh manifolds? I think that Andris, mentioned Gale Banks, are there others. I am taking a guess here but i would say that the Exh manifolds are the trick & the rest any compatent muffler shop could do? am i way off base? I think that I am going to give them a call tomorrow & see if they still have them available. any other sources?

BW

------------------
Bob Wooten
r71chevy@earthlink.net
Old 03-19-2001, 11:15 PM

I am a Gale Banks dealer. They have NO immediate plans to market any new manifolds. If they do, they will HAVE to improve on the old, inefficient log-style. With the turbos placed at the end of the manifold, spool up is slow and flow is hurt.

Go to www.turbobuick.com and check back a few pages in the "for sale" forum. There is a pair of cast iron twin-turbo SBC manifolds for sale around $800. Nobody is biting!

------------------
1989 T/A, 400" CNC Bow-Tie tall-deck, JE 8.5:1, Eagle 6" rods, Crower roller cam, AFR heads, Accel Pro-Ram intake, 1200-cfm t/b, DFI, 72# inj., S/X fuel system, HRC T76 turbosystem, NOS 150-hp dry fogger, TH400 w/GV overdrive, 12-bolt w/3.70's, Baer Track brakes, 18X9.5 wheels, P275/35ZR18 Nittos, Spohn suspension, S/T springs, KYB AGX shocks/struts, Corbeau Targa RS seats, TeamTech 5-point harnesses, Sparco steering wheel, MacEwen white gauge overlays, Phantom gauges/tach, B&M Pro Stick w/carbon-fiber ****, REAL carbon-fiber dash/console kit (don't ask), S&W 8-point rollbar, Lonza aluminum pedal covers, Pioneer/Boston Acoustics stereo system, filled side markers, Audi clear fender marker lights, custom clear front turn signals, custom clear taillights, IMSA-style cowl hood (don't ask), custom medium Intense Blue pearl paint, tinted glass. Whew!

Best ET w/383" S-trim: 10.796 @ 125.8 mph
Best ET w/400" turbo, nitrous: Summer 2001

Member of Midwest F-Body Association www.mfba.org
Old 03-19-2001, 11:24 PM
Tas
Supreme Member

ok while the professional is here maybe I can ask you something. how are those old TT banks different that stock manifolds filped so the outlet is forward and up? is that feasable or would they block the spark plugs? I know an adapter would have to be made to bolt a turbo to the end but that seems like the minor problem..
Old 03-20-2001, 02:14 AM

Whooooooooooooo Ho, 8 bills for a set of cast iron turbo manifolds? I am thinking that i can buy a sawzal, a welder & a ton of manderel bent tubing & make them for less than that. JBA is right down the street maybe i need to go make a call. i cant see that making a "generic" SBC header that has a few different tubo flanges would be that expensive.

there was someone in the GN/TType world that was working on a TT setup for the V6 that used two factory Turbos (I am thinking it was called Project X or something like that). anyway, these guys built their own headers that came right up into turbo flanges & they also supported the turbos off of the front of the heads. it looked slick & apparently was pretty cost effective (factory turbos & all) hauled but. they had on in a test car the last i saw but that was some time ago.

in any case, with the mandrel benders out there now i cant see using anything but header tubing & making a header far superior to a cast manifold.

in any case, who did your exhaust? are you running a single or TT? you have a web site for your business (off list if it is not appropriate, not sure about this list, sorry if i broke protocol).

thanks for the info, i am @ a cross roads & not sure what road to go down.

Bob Wooten

------------------
Bob Wooten
r71chevy@earthlink.net
Old 03-20-2001, 02:47 AM

There is NO way someone will build you turbo headers that will LAST for cheaper than $800. Except people like me that have access to equipment and materials. Go price some stainless tubing, and ask a welder his shop rate for TIG welding them! We fabricate motorcycle turbo headers all day long and charge $500 for a small 4-cylinder unit. Imagine what a one-off V8 set will cost. Most outfits that know what they are doing will charge between $1000-$1500 per set for PROPERLY built headers. Exhaust temps on a turbo application are much higher than normal, and mild steel headers will crack...PERIOD. This is why a cast iron unit is superior. You can cheese-whiz a set of manifolds by "flipping them upside down", but valve cover clearance becomes a problem. Also, you will have to run internally-wastegated turbos because the iron manifolds do not provide a wastegate port. My headers are 1.75" stainless, TIG-welded, and ceramic-coated. My boss did them for me as a favor, and also routed my intercooler piping. In fact, he also made the intercooler. The cost for all this work for anyone else would be tremendous. Custom turbosystems are very labor-intensive, but if you want to play, you have to pay! This way, it will be done right the first time. Peace...

------------------
1989 T/A, 400" CNC Bow-Tie tall-deck, JE 8.5:1, Eagle 6" rods, Crower roller cam, AFR heads, Accel Pro-Ram intake, 1200-cfm t/b, DFI, 72# inj., S/X fuel system, HRC T76 turbosystem, NOS 150-hp dry fogger, TH400 w/GV overdrive, 12-bolt w/3.70's, Baer Track brakes, 18X9.5 wheels, P275/35ZR18 Nittos, Spohn suspension, S/T springs, KYB AGX shocks/struts, Corbeau Targa RS seats, TeamTech 5-point harnesses, Sparco steering wheel, MacEwen white gauge overlays, Phantom gauges/tach, B&M Pro Stick w/carbon-fiber ****, REAL carbon-fiber dash/console kit (don't ask), S&W 8-point rollbar, Lonza aluminum pedal covers, Pioneer/Boston Acoustics stereo system, filled side markers, Audi clear fender marker lights, custom clear front turn signals, custom clear taillights, IMSA-style cowl hood (don't ask), custom medium Intense Blue pearl paint, tinted glass. Whew!

Old 03-20-2001, 09:50 AM

I was researching a custom T-88 turbo kit for my car on my 4-th gen. Kooks were going to make a set of headers.. They charge around 1500 bucks for the 5.0 crowd, and mine probally would have cost close to 2 grand.
800 bucks for what was mentioned earlier sounds like a deal to me!!

Some guys buy the log style manifold , and get a header like SLP and flip it around on the other side. They use this setup, which can support some good h.p... I think just that one log style manifold could cost 700-800 bucks alone.

------------------
http://members.home.net/regulators/kevg.html
-=ICON Motorsports=-
Old 03-20-2001, 01:51 PM

So what is the cost? is it the material or the labor? (showing my ignorance here, dont know squat about tubing, stainless tubing VS "regular" tubing). i would think that after some number of units, that a template can be made (This is how the guys down the street from me build thier headers, they have a template, the guy bends the tube sicks it into the template if it fits bang done, this way they can hire low cost labor to "mfg" the product & high cost labor for the next new project).

I dont see that $800 is that much Do-ho. i spent $500 on the full lengh headers in my car & that was with them coated. if you are using stainless do you have to get them coated? if you dont on "regular" headers they will rot out. are you doing it for the flow charicteristics, longevity or the cool factor?

thanks for the great info.

BW

ps you did not mention if you are building single or TT.

------------------
Bob Wooten
r71chevy@earthlink.net
Old 03-20-2001, 06:35 PM

Stainless is used for longevity and strength. Most of the cost is in the labor. Once the headers are tacked, they are finish TIG-welded and stress-relieved. Coating is optional, for appearance, mostly. We do not coat the inside of turbo headers, as we have melted off Jet-Hot before on our 6-second Funnybike headers. You don't want that going through your turbo! I am using a single T-series Garrett unit in my turbosystem. It is helped by a 150-hp dry fogger nitrous system...

------------------

Old 03-20-2001, 08:01 PM

it seems everyone wants turbos.there is no turbo kits for thirdgens.if u really want one u need to go to welding school to learn to fabricate your own turbo exhaust manifolds.stainless is not required use plain steel there cheap,wont last long but cheap.single turbo will give u about 400 hp at 14 psi ,thats it,a little more if u have room for an intercooler.now placement of the turbo? they way i see it u might have to cut a hole in your hood and put it there.or put somewhere else, u just going to have to gut the car.by the time your done you could of instead use the money buy a monster cube motor with nos and live in the 9`s not 12`s.
i personally have a love hate relation ship with turbo.i own a eagle talon turbo and its quick in the boost threshold thats it.my 89 ta would totally holeshot it,by the time the talon would get in its boost range im already gone.
dave
ps long live nos
Old 03-20-2001, 08:33 PM

No offense Dave, but the way you described the turbo setup is way off .

Generalizeing 14 PSI turbo making 400 h.p. and only 12s is ridiculous. 14 PSI on a 350 based motor can well exceed 650RWHP.

I think your getting 14 PSI 4 cyls mixed up with 14 PSI V-8 cars

And by no means do you have to cut a hole in the hood to place a turbo..LOL Or totally gut the car.. It can be pretty tricky though.

[This message has been edited by Kevin G (edited March 20, 2001).]
Old 03-20-2001, 08:53 PM
Tas
Supreme Member

Yes learning to weld is a good idea. I almost did, but the class at the Junior College conflicted with my Cal State schedual. I might take it this summer or next spring. hmm welding in the summer might be a bad idea.... its usualy in the 90s-100s here all summer.
Old 03-20-2001, 10:31 PM

Thanks for the info gents. I think that the turbo is going to be a bit cost prohibitive right now so....... I am looking into an ATI I think that this is probably the best way to go, however i think that i am going to have to have custom piping for that as well. still have a problem here huh.

I see your point on not wanting coating to go sand blasting into your mega buck turbo. I am looking forward to hearing more on how your project goes.

BW

------------------
Bob Wooten
r71chevy@earthlink.net
Old 03-21-2001, 12:02 AM

Kevin G is correct. I think daverr has been inhaling too many nitrous fumes! If your '89 T/A "holeshots" a turbo Talon AWD, it's because the Talon driver can't drive! We launch all ours at 4500rpm and come out of the hole with at least 10psi, all 4 tires screeching. Full boost is reached in about 2 seconds after that. Bye-bye. We work on them alllllllll day...
www.turbosystem.com
www.hrchahnracecraft.com

------------------
1989 T/A, 400" CNC Bow-Tie tall-deck, JE 8.5:1, Scat H-beam 6" rods, Scat 4340 crank, Crower roller cam, AFR heads, Accel Pro-Ram intake, 1200-cfm t/b, DFI, 72# inj., S/X fuel system, Hahn Racecraft T76 single turbosystem, NOS 150-hp dry fogger, TH400 w/GV overdrive, Dana 44 w/3.54's, Baer Track brakes, 18X9.5 wheels, P275/35ZR18 Nittos, Spohn suspension, S/T springs, KYB AGX shocks/struts, Corbeau Targa RS seats, TeamTech 5-point harnesses, Sparco steering wheel, MacEwen white gauge overlays, Phantom gauges/tach, B&M Pro Stick w/carbon-fiber ****, REAL carbon-fiber dash/console kit (don't ask), S&W 8-point rollbar, Lonza aluminum pedal covers, Pioneer/Boston Acoustics stereo system, filled side markers, Audi clear fender marker lights, custom clear front turn signals, custom clear taillights, IMSA-style cowl hood (don't ask), custom medium Intense Blue pearl paint, tinted glass. Whew!

Old 03-21-2001, 03:26 AM
Tas
Supreme Member

GMI do you have a pic of your car with 18s? thanks
-Tas
Old 03-21-2001, 12:45 PM

No, I don't. The car is at the body shop wearing the stock wheels so my bodyman doesn't get the 18's f*cked up. I will post photos as soon as the car is finished, though.

------------------
1989 T/A, 400" CNC Bow-Tie tall-deck, JE 8.5:1, Scat H-beam 6" rods, Scat 4340 crank, Crower roller cam, AFR heads, Accel Pro-Ram intake, 1200-cfm t/b, DFI, 72# inj., S/X fuel system, Hahn Racecraft T76 single turbosystem, NOS 150-hp dry fogger, TH400 w/GV overdrive, Dana 44 w/3.54's, Baer Track brakes, 18X9.5 wheels, P275/35ZR18 Nittos, Spohn suspension, S/T springs, KYB AGX shocks/struts, Corbeau Targa RS seats, TeamTech 5-point harnesses, Sparco steering wheel, MacEwen white gauge overlays, Phantom gauges/tach, B&M Pro Stick w/carbon-fiber ****, REAL carbon-fiber dash/console kit (don't ask), S&W 8-point rollbar, Lonza aluminum pedal covers, Pioneer/Boston Acoustics stereo system, filled side markers, Audi clear fender marker lights, custom clear front turn signals, custom clear taillights, IMSA-style cowl hood (don't ask), custom medium Intense Blue pearl paint, tinted glass. Whew!

Old 03-21-2001, 08:06 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kevin G:

Generalizeing 14 PSI turbo making 400 h.p. and only 12s is ridiculous. 14 PSI on a 350 based motor can well exceed 650RWHP.

And by no means do you have to cut a hole in the hood to place a turbo..LOL Or totally gut the car.. It can be pretty tricky though.

</font>
Old 03-21-2001, 08:20 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kevin G:

</font>
ok im assuming the guy wants to turbocharge his current setup.ok a stock engine which makes between 190 and 220ish hp depending on what motor u got, will only make 400+ hp with only 14 psi.now lets say the guy modifies an engine for turbo which adds too the total cost, will now make over 500 hp easy without race gas.i seen grandnationals at the track doing 11`s ,u know why they run that fast cause they use turbos pressures of over 20 psi and race gas (on a stock engine).
dave

ps nos is the key to economical success
Old 03-21-2001, 08:49 PM
Supporter/Moderator

Dude... You don't need 14 psi on a smallblock to get 400 hp. I'm running a fairly stock 350 (230 original hp, original heads, block, cam, etc) with the super ram intake and a 52mm throttlebody. I ran at 114 mph last fall, only getting traction in third gear. Using the dinky hp calculators and 3700 lbs race weight - it puts the hp at 428. This is on 5 psi wastegate and about 7 psi as it overboosts. Just FYI.
Old 03-22-2001, 01:12 AM

Andris,

who did your exhaust system for your turbo? your sig line says DFI TT, is that what you are running right now?

Bob Wooten

------------------
Bob Wooten
r71chevy@earthlink.net
Old 03-22-2001, 09:43 AM

As the previous owner of a '90 Talon awd race car, i feel I can add to this conversation. The old and the young alkie all thought that they could beat my car out of the "hole". This was not the case on 99.9% of the occasion. I was running a ported and clipped 20g with 550cc injectors and external fuel pump and about 25 psi on race gas(built motor). When i would stage up,(on the street)The other racer would do his burnout, and the group of people would cheer. Meanwhile i would sit patiently in my car waiting. We'd line up, he'd rev his motor up to 3500 rpm and purge. I would rev mine upto about 6500(I had a 4 bolt and a "beefed up transfer case") the flagger would drop his hands, I would let the cluthch out all the way and my car would shuutter and put about 3 sometimes 4 car lengths on my opponent. All you would hear is the other guy running his gears to the max and squeezing until his bottle was empty!(Keep in mind that i do realize how well slicks do work, and this generally would happen to someone on street tires.) But, unfortunately, My baby died and I am looking for good Cheap horsepower and i hear Chevys are the way to go( I like camaros as well). So please do not label me an import guy, I'm just a fan of anything fast.

------------------
Am looking to swap my 383 into a 90 or 92 camaro tpi
Old 03-22-2001, 11:57 AM
Supporter/Moderator

Bob - I've got the restrictive gale banks log manifolds, and had Kook's fabricate my downpipes and open dump tubes. Check out the webpage - http://www.skulte.com/turbo.html

There are a ton of DSM guys locally, and on the street they are awesome for street races. Do a rev limit clutch dump launch, and if the t-case or halfshafts don't break, they just beat you big time out of the hole.
Old 03-22-2001, 01:17 PM

are you still running the 7730? if so are you running the Sy/Ty code? did you have to do any pinout changes to the harness for the change to the Sy/Ty code? I seem to recall somone, not too long ago changing from NA to turbo & going with the 7730 & the Sy/Ty code but i dont recall if it was on this list or not.

some of the links were not working on that site for example the one to the Red TA convertible (1981). this is most like my car & I would be very interested in talking with him OR checking out the info on his web site (if he has one).

thanks mucho
Bob

------------------
Bob Wooten
r71chevy@earthlink.net
Old 03-23-2001, 03:01 AM
Tas
Supreme Member

Why shouldn't the turbo be run from exaust other than cast iron log manifold? the TTA has header type pipes running to the turbo. Almost all the Turbo projects in "Turbo" magazine use headers run to the turbo with a big thick steel flange connected at the end to mount the turbo. I think using a custom Y pipe from the stock manifolds would make a good single turbo system if done right.
Old 03-23-2001, 01:27 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Car: 2000 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Stock manifolds are very small and like GMI fast mentioned can get in the way of the valve covers. Not to mention the wastegates would be hard to plumb.

------------------
-86 IROC
Vortech Supercharged 406
-=ICON Motorsports=-
"Well, you're equipped to be a prostitute, but you're not one, are you?"
Old 03-23-2001, 05:20 PM

If you run a street-type twin turbo setup, you would have internal wastegates that don't need special mounts. However, the manifolds are too close to the head, and the compressors would touch the valve covers. I just sold a set of old Spearco twin turbo manifolds that gave me an interference problem.

------------------

Old 03-23-2001, 10:32 PM

I stopped @ JBA (http://www.jbaheaders.com) today on the way home & I am tempted to buy two driver side shorty headers (they make them in SS & mild S). install the driver side "normal" & install the passenger side upside down. this would put the exh just @ the forward side of the block. route the driver side down under & up to meet up with the Pass side & merge then into a flange to bolt the turbo to. this would give me a place to secure the flange to (front of head) & not cost me a tone of $$$.

i could possition the flange so that the exh of the Turbo points forward to route to the intercooler.

any thoughts? does anyone have an suggestions on good reading on "how to build a turbo motor"? what i am looking for is tech on how big the exh has to be for a given amount of flow/HP. how big the turbo has to be for a given CI &/or target HP. & other do's & dont's of turbos

thanks
BW

------------------
Bob Wooten
r71chevy@earthlink.net
Old 03-23-2001, 11:08 PM

You've got the right idea, Bob! I originally was going to try that, but still ran in to some clearance problems and it looked sloppy. We decided to fab our own from scratch...

Go to your local bookstore and find the book by Corky Bell on turbocharging. It will help you learn more. I just talked to Corky today! We are waiting on a shipment of parts from him that is overdue.

------------------

Old 03-24-2001, 11:48 PM

thanks for the info amigo. I will check out the book. I am working with a 71 so i bet i have a bit more room than yall 3rd gener's. basically i have a 91 L98, stroked in a 71. quite a bit of room to work. I was under it today & think that i could make it play & still use the factory hood.

In any case, well see.
See Ya.
BW

------------------
Bob Wooten
r71chevy@earthlink.net
Old 03-25-2001, 02:51 AM

Bob,

I feel your pain looking for 2nd Gen (the forgotten generation) parts... I'm in the process of completing an 80Z28.

Do you go to the 2nd Gen board? There are a couple of guys there running with forced induction ("6-71 blown camaro" comes to mind). The board has a friendly atmosphere, with a lot of helpful people ready to lend a hand.

http://www.nastyz28.com/cgi-bin/Ulti...i?action=intro

------------------
1988 Camaro - Daily Driver
1980 Z28 - Under Restification
Old 03-25-2001, 01:16 PM

my problem is that i like the tech of the 3rd & 4th gen but the looks of the 2nd. this leaves me looking in new camaro & vette stuff for the tech & old camaro places for body & trim stuff.

Oh well, my problem. the good thing about the 3rd & 4th gen cars is there are a ton of them out there. the bad thing about the 3rd & 4th gen cars is there are a ton of them out there. No biggie.

thanks i am going to check them out.
BW

------------------
Bob Wooten
r71chevy@earthlink.net
Old 03-30-2001, 10:33 AM

We make the twin turbo kit for the GN and T-Types using twin stock turbos. We spent about a year doing R&D on it after we first created it and are just now beginning to manufacture the kit.

Since I'm in the market for a 3rd gen Camaro convertible, it is very likely it will have a single turbo attached to it shortly after receiving it. We could do a single turbo kit complete with intercooler for around $3500 without a fuel system. You can scale the kit by simply changing the turbo size and fuel system, assuming the rest of the drive train was capable of holding up to high HP.

------------------
Tony DeQuick - tonyd@chargedair.com
(847)223-0743
http://www.chargedair.com
Old 03-30-2001, 12:11 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Car: 2000 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Keep us informed Tony! You'd be breaking new ground for us third gen guys interested in turbos!

The NON custom way.

------------------
-86 IROC
Vortech Supercharged 406
-=ICON Motorsports=-
"Well, you're equipped to be a prostitute, but you're not one, are you?"
Old 03-30-2001, 12:31 PM
Supreme Member

maybe i'll hold off on the new procharger kit.

Since Grayslake is only like 30 minutes from my house...i could be a test child too
Old 03-30-2001, 12:34 PM
Bill91Z

Guido, what are ya gonna do now??? Tough decision huh...well I think you need to sell me 6 of those 55# injectors you just bought and hold off until you get a turbo kit from Tony ...oh well, it was just a thought.

------------------
-Bill

-=ICON Motorsports=-

Modertor TPI board

-1987 Buick Grand National-

*CC 218/218, ported and polished irons, custom DP by Custom Tubes, Walbro 307 hotwired, 009s, custom PROM and 20psi of fury*

Wanna try me?
Old 03-30-2001, 12:43 PM

Dont know how many people are intersted, but I for one am. You might have a half a dozen kits sold & not have even started yet.

Please keep us informed of the status

Bob Wooten

------------------
Bob Wooten
r71chevy@earthlink.net
Old 03-30-2001, 01:12 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 mildly modified
Transmission: 700R4 fully modified
So is it possible for the people with turbos in their cars to post something saying how they engineered or fabricated them? I'm really interested in this. Someone said that I can use two turbo's from thunderchicken, and that there was a lot of fabrication involved. If someone could post something it would make it easier. I think that we all need to read up on how to make them before we do it, but we can also learn from everyone elses mistakes.

thanks,
Mike

------------------
1989 RS.. Newly installed 350,bored out 30 over, Hypereutectic pistons, double roller cam, double roller timing chain, accel wires, blue streak cap and rotor, rapidfire plugs, chevy caprice 350 chip, 200* fan switch.
Old 03-30-2001, 01:24 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 IROC-Z
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.45
I decided to not go turbo after i found out it would probably cost me over $10,000 to do everything that i wanted. Maybe in a year or two. I want to beef up the rest of my drivetrain before I go swapping huge amounts of HP into my car. But.....if someone came out with a cheaper TT kit i might be interested. If sombody wants a test mule for a TT kit, let me know, id let ya borrow the ROC for a while
Old 03-30-2001, 01:55 PM
Supreme Member

I havn't read all the replies..so forgive any points I missed. Here is what I've learned

Flipping stock log style manifold doesn;t work...not due to valve cover clearance but to spark plugs. They cover the holes almost completely. I'm using S10 v8 headers flipped upside down, and have a minimum of clearance problems from them. The plugs and valve covers all fit fine. There are some things that need to be moved, but it's all little stuff like fuel/brake lines. The AC is the biggest thing..the whole bracket has gotta go.

------------------
"American made baby. 100% American iron. The muscle among the masses. My hero. Yep, you can take your ergonomically designed, space age, computer controlled, 4 door, cup holding map lighted split double wishbone split fold down retractable cargo covered moon roof piece of transportation and keep it. For I have felt the thunder. And I know the difference!"
JSP Motorsports
ICON Motorsports

Quick Reply: Turbo Kits, why not?????